Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 23rd, 2017, 10:08am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Which engine best represented AMTRAK?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Amtrak Discussion
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, BNSF_1088, MidwestRailfan)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Which engine best represented AMTRAK?  (Read 175 times)
JerseyRails815
Former Member

« on: Jun 14th, 2013, 12:20am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

For me, my first choice would be the F40PH.

This massive engine, a hulking, brawny Leviathian, seemed to be THE "trademark" of AMTRAK for years; timetable covers, ads, scale models......even on television shows during the 80's, one could often see the familiar mug of an F-40 on a poster or sign when the action was taking place in a rail station, or even a travel agency.

The F40PH just seemed to roar out for all the world to hear: "GO AMTRAK!"

My second choice would be the oft-forgotten E-60.

Built as a successor to the fabled GG-1, I have long felt that these lanky, no-nonsense electrics never gained the popularity amongst fans as they should have.

Seeking to replace the classic GG-1's certainly, I am sure, did not endear the E-60's to the legions of "G" fans.

Still, when one looks back through the decades, one can see an engine that now (IMHO) can truly be considered a "classic".

What are your choices for trhe engines(s) that best represented AMTRAK?

JerseyRails815

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2013, 12:51am by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Which engine best represented AMTRAK?

« Reply #1 on: Jun 14th, 2013, 7:34pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Always found it a trifle odd that FP-45s on the Santa Fe and Burlington (and F-45s, the freight versions without steam generators)  didn't seem to be derailment prone, with the same running gear as the SDP-40Fs. i wonder if that reputation was really valid.

Also see no reason a run with the steam generators replaced with HEP generators wouldn't have worked. And then rebuild the initial order for HEP.

And - anybody who thinks the F40s are physically imposing needs to see one next to an SDP-40F or an FP-45.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Jun 15th, 2013, 4:15pm »

on Jun 14th, 2013, 8:51pm, JerseyRails815 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Clyde:

Actually, between us, the most imposing locomotive that I personally have gotten "up close and personal" with were the FM's on the CNJ, which were retired in 1969.

These engines were indeed imposing; most especially so if you're twelve years old!

You mentioned SF power; the following is from "SANTA FE RAILWAY", by Steve Glischinski:

".........Santa Fe also amassed a fleet of forty F45 cowl models in 1968. Although considered freight units, twenty were equipped with steam line connections, so they could be used with FP45's on passenger runs. The F45 was four feet shorter than the FP45, and weighed in at around 390,000 pounds......."

JerseyRails815

Have been right next to the UP Challenger, live, and that is about as imposing an engine as I have ever been next to, as an operating locomotive. including T&P 610, UP 844 and any diesel. Now if we want to include engines that weren't live when I saw them, C&O 2-6-6-6 struck me as having more "presence" than a UP "Big Boy", and Santa Fe Madame Queen just loomed if you were next to it.

Actually, as a "symbol" (or representative) of AMTRAK, the F40 wouldn't be a bad choice. Ubiquitous, in use for many years, etc.. And - the current Genesis units have a lot of "presence". Even if I don't care much for the paint jobs.

jmlaboda
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jun 15th, 2013, 11:54pm »

"This massive engine, a hulking, brawny Leviathian, seemed to be THE 'trademark' of AMTRAK for years; timetable covers, ads, scale models..."

Funny, when I look at or think of the F40PH I do not see any of these characteristics aside from it being the "trademark" of Amtrak.  The fact of the matter is that it was small, considerably smaller than other cowled units of its time (and just before it) and compared to units such as the F45, FP45, SDP40F, P30CH and F40C it is neither "massive", "hulking" nor "brawny" but it was "the little engine that could" fix what was wrong with Amtrak power wise.

For several years I just couldn't grasp ahold of its appearance and like it for anything I would consider attractive, though I don't know if it was because they were just different from other cowled units of the time or if they were replacing the SDP40Fs, which EMD had so badly botched in both design and execusion.  In looking at the new lines of its face I just could not find anything attractive about the little "brute" though I could not deny that the unit was "the little engine that could," a fact that was being proven on commuter outfits as well by the time I finally was drawn around to liking them.

If it were not for Bob Smaus I probably NEVER would have come to appreciate the aesthetics of the unit but his article in Railroad Model Craftsman (March '91) about detailing and painting a model of one of these units changed my mind in many ways and that will never change.

The "Signature" locomotive of Amtrak?  For me there is no doubt.  While I am a dyed in the wool fan of modern and semi-modern G.E.s and early- and late-model ALCOs (including the G.E. Genesis units) "the little engine that could" will always be the F40PH.  My only regret is that Amtrak was not made to keep some of the same units going that have been rebuilt for other operators after their life with Amtrak was over but such will remain the mind-set of AMTK's management until the "Buy New" fallacy is finally broken (strange that VIA has made older equipment work where Amtrak couldn't but that might just be for another thread).

At least one some of the other passenger operations these units will continue to prove their worth!!!

« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2013, 12:05am by jmlaboda » Logged

jerry
Passenger Car Photo Index - UPDATED 2 August 2015 WITH OVER 10,672 NEW LINKS ADDED!!!
Appreciate Freedom? Thank a vet!!!
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »