Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 22nd, 2017, 9:13pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Empire Builder Derailment
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Amtrak Discussion
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, BNSF_1088, MidwestRailfan)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Empire Builder Derailment  (Read 131 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« on: Apr 16th, 2013, 5:57pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Empire Builder Derailment on April 8th is a trifle puzzling to me. Apparently hit by a Washington mudslide (one of several this year that has caused problems on the BNSF line Amtrak uses on the way to Seattle) that put the last three cars (diner, two coaches) off the rails, upright but a bit tilted. OK - now the rest of the report. Uncoupled those cars, moved the passengers to the front of the train, which was undamaged. Motivated to the next town. And called buses to come get everybody and take them to destination. if they were operational, why do that? Why not just continue to destination, perhaps a bit crowded, but a few hours of crowding would seem a better idea than waiting for buses and taking things out of service.

What am I missing? Thoughts anyone?

NYC_Subway_Fan
Historian
Re: Empire Builder Derailment

« Reply #1 on: Apr 17th, 2013, 6:35am »

It would have been over an hour with everyone standing in the hallways of the sleepers to reach Seattle.  Not exactly a safe condition or a practical condition either.

Alan,

Take care and take trains!
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18th, 2013, 10:51pm »

OK. Put the coach passengers on the ground to wait for the busses and take everybody else to destination. 1st class is supposed to get first-class treatment, and being de-trained to ride a bus is not something I (if i'd paid for a sleeper ride) would have deemed first class treatment.

jmlaboda
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Apr 18th, 2013, 11:22pm »

"Why not just continue to destination..."

While usable cars were used to forward passengers to the next town it did not allow for the equipment to be released from the scene.  In a derailment everything is inspected and on rare occasion the fault of the derailment is found not in the cars that derailed but from other equipment ahead of the derailed cars.

How long was the undamaged cars held at that location... does anyone know?  I could just hear all the first class customers wanting to kick themselves for not opting for the bus trip after a couple of hours just sitting while investigators go over what has occurred.  If you ask me it would be more important to get to where I need to go than to wait around for the Feds (anyone care to recall how SLOWLY the Feds move?) to determine what they need to determine and release the equipment for the rest of the trip.

« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2013, 11:24pm by jmlaboda » Logged

jerry
Passenger Car Photo Index - UPDATED 2 August 2015 WITH OVER 10,672 NEW LINKS ADDED!!!
Appreciate Freedom? Thank a vet!!!
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Apr 19th, 2013, 1:09pm »

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't think about the need to inspect the equipment and get clearance to continue service from the Feds. or for that matter, safety departments of AMTRAK and the freight road.

Lesson: Be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth (or the post button) in gear...

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »