Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 20th, 2017, 1:35pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

"AMFLEET"......what does the future hold?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Amtrak Discussion
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, BNSF_1088, MidwestRailfan)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: "AMFLEET"......what does the future hold?  (Read 316 times)
HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« on: Nov 15th, 2012, 10:46pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

All:

Being out-of-touch with AMTRAK for so long now, I'm wondering as to the future of the AMFLEET cars.

I know that the originals first hit the rails in the later 1970's, owing their distinctive tubular design to the original METROLINER MU trainsets; these cars have, for decades, have, to many, become a "trademark" of AMTRAK.

Are the original cars still in operation? (albiet, with refurbishments)

What does the future hold for these venerable cars?

Appreciate any info you may have.....and thanks in advance....

"H.F.M."

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member
Re: "AMFLEET"......what does the future hold?

« Reply #1 on: Nov 15th, 2012, 10:52pm »

"CITY OF SAN DIEGO" (blt. 1976), in 1999......

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/amtk43014.jpg

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15th, 2012, 10:58pm »

Extensive AMFLEET photo gallery......

http://hebners.net/amtrak/amtAMFLT.html

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 12:20am »

All:

Decided to do a little research, and came across the following, which did answer many of my questions.

As is mentioned here, the tubular design enables the cars to negotiate the Hudson River tubes and NEC catenary easily, which leads me to think that, at some future date, new cars might also follow the basic design of the present AMFLEET equipment.......

"H.F.M."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amfleet

jmlaboda
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 10:54am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

"new cars might also follow the basic design of the present AMFLEET equipment....... "

But why would Amtrak choose to use the Amfleet design when they own the Viewliner design?  The Amfleet design was a Budd product, the rights to such is now owned by Bombardier IIRC.  The Viewliner cars are the design that will be used in the future, with an order for new cars already placed, though they likely won't be delivered until early 2014.

jerry
Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links added!!!
Interurban Passenger Car Photo Index
Presidents' Conference Car Photo Index
NYC_Subway_Fan
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 11:22am »

on Nov 16th, 2012, 10:54am, jmlaboda wrote:       (Click here for original message)
"new cars might also follow the basic design of the present AMFLEET equipment....... "

But why would Amtrak choose to use the Amfleet design when they own the Viewliner design?  The Amfleet design was a Budd product, the rights to such is now owned by Bombardier IIRC.  The Viewliner cars are the design that will be used in the future, with an order for new cars already placed, though they likely won't be delivered until early 2014.

Agreed, Jerry, Amtrak will most likely use the Viewliner shell for new coaches, if when they find/are given the funding to order a production run.  Failing that, I'd see a whole new design before they'll go back to the Amfleet shell.

Alan,

Take care and take trains!
NYC_Subway_Fan
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 11:35am »

on Nov 15th, 2012, 10:46pm, HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I know that the originals first hit the rails in the later 1970's, owing their distinctive tubular design to the original METROLINER MU trainsets; these cars have, for decades, have, to many, become a "trademark" of AMTRAK.

Are the original cars still in operation? (albiet, with refurbishments)

Some 17 still exist as the cab cars used by Amtrak on Keystones and a few other services, 1 more still ply's the rails as Amtrak's conference car 9800.

You may find this list to be of some help in detailing what did happen to those cars.  Keep in mind as you look at that list, that only cars in the 9600 range remain in service.  All other cars are either gone or at least not on the active roster.

on Nov 16th, 2012, 12:20am, HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ wrote:       (Click here for original message)
As is mentioned here, the tubular design enables the cars to negotiate the Hudson River tubes and NEC catenary easily, which leads me to think that, at some future date, new cars might also follow the basic design of the present AMFLEET equipment.......

Amtrak runs the Viewliner's quite nicely through the tunnel, which are more square in nature than the Metroliner.  And of course NJT now runs the boxy multi-level cars through those same tunnels.  So I don't see the tunnels as having any influence on what type of single level car is picked.

Alan,

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 12:50pm »

Jerry/NYC:

Appreciate your input! (also, the list)

You are correct about more angular cars not being a problem for the Hudson River tunnels; recall most equipment used through the years (PRR/PC/AMTK/NJT) have been of "traditional" (boxy) designs, and, as noted, presenting no clearance problems.

For me, I guess, the tubular design we've been familiar with for so long, just seemed "natural" for the tight confines of the old PRR Hudson River tubes.

Though I haven't ridden AMTRAK in 15 years, and haven't even been near one on more than a decade, I like the idea that these "trademark" cars arte still plying the rails.

Again, greatly appreciate your input.....

"H.F.M."

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 1:14pm »

With a classic SANTA FE sign looming above the car, this 1970's scene is indeed timeless......

http://rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk21043jp.jpg

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #9 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 1:25pm »

Columbus, Ohio, 1977.

Looks like a couple of railfans are also on hand.......

http://rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk21815awb.jpg

jmlaboda
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 1:36pm »

I updated the Passenger Car Photo Index less than a week ago and there are a number of links to good shots of Amfleet cars on the site, specifically on these pages...
http://passcarphotos.info/Indices/AMTK7.htm
http://passcarphotos.info/Indices/AMTK11a.htm
http://passcarphotos.info/Indices/AMTK12b.htm

The most interesting thing going on right now with the Amfleet equipment is that Amtrak has been rebuilding some of the Amfleet I cafe cars to coaches.  Links for shots of these cars can be found at the bottom of the AMTK12b page...

jerry
Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links added!!!
Interurban Passenger Car Photo Index
Presidents' Conference Car Photo Index
HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #11 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 1:44pm »

Thanks, Jerry!

I've already filed these pages so I could go through them in detail later this evening!

Though never really an AMTRAK enthusiast per se, I've long been a fan of the AMFLEET Cars....as I stated earlier, they seem to be a long-standing "trademark" of the company.....certainly unsung heroes!

"H.F.M."

« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2012, 1:52pm by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #12 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 10:18pm »

St. Louis, 1980.

Hard to believe that this dated scene was once the very epitome of "today's Amtrak"!

A timeless portrait of Amtrak as it was......

http://rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk299.jpg

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #13 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 10:23pm »

A nostalgic (and wonderfully dated!) "under wire" scene at Baltimore, 1978.......

http://rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk0956rlb.jpg

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #14 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 10:31pm »

No location given for this "under wire" view from 1978, but, IMHO, I think this was snapped near Newark (NJ).

At first glance, it appeared that "G" #4890 was hauling a set of new AMFLEET cars, but, upon closer inspection, you can see that the venerable old electric is hauling what obviously is a disabled METROLINER.....

http://rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk4890.jpg

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 10:39pm »

Not that fond of AMFLEETs, despite their being a Budd design. That means structure will be of the traditional Budd quality, but the rifle-slot windows and general proportions are not to my taste. They ran them on the Inter-American at one time for the coach section, and i had occasion to ride it from Austin to Dallas during that period. Ride was not to the quality of a Budd, P-S or ACF lightweight.

The ones they should have kept on the property and kept running with periodic rebuilds were the stainless steel lightweights they got from the predecessor roads and called the heritage Fleet.

« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2012, 10:40pm by ClydeDET » Logged
HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #16 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 10:46pm »

on Nov 16th, 2012, 10:39pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Not that fond of AMFLEETs, despite their being a Budd design. That means structure will be of the traditional Budd quality, but the rifle-slot windows and general proportions are not to my taste. They ran them on the Inter-American at one time for the coach section, and i had occasion to ride it from Austin to Dallas during that period. Ride was not to the quality of a Budd, P-S or ACF lightweight.

The ones they should have kept on the property and kept running with periodic rebuilds were the stainless steel lightweights they got from the predecessor roads and called the heritage Fleet.

Clyde:

While I do have an appreciation for the now-classic AMFLEET cars, I will admit that I really long for the days when "Heritage" equipment were still the norm.

I was most fortunate to dine in "Heritage" diners, and sleep in "Heritage" sleepers, on long-ago Amtrak trips.

I used to think that the consists made up of both "Heritage" and "AMFLEET" equipment made for some interesting-looking trains.

I was particulary fond of the "Heritage" sleepers.......

"H.F.M."

« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2012, 1:04pm by NH_FL9_2017 » Logged
HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #17 on: Nov 17th, 2012, 12:08am »

Not your "typical" AMTRAK consist; this 1988 view of Train #40 (Marysville, PA) certainly is one that could easily inspire modelers!

A "Mixed Train", without a doubt.......

http://rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk-tr040aca.jpg

NYC_Subway_Fan
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Nov 17th, 2012, 11:42am »

on Nov 16th, 2012, 10:31pm, HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ wrote:       (Click here for original message)
No location given for this "under wire" view from 1978, but, IMHO, I think this was snapped near Newark (NJ).

I concur, that looks like Newark, with the highways near the airport in the background and the freight line in the nearer foreground.

Alan,

HARRY FOSTER MALONE ESQ
Former Member

« Reply #19 on: Nov 17th, 2012, 1:07pm »

on Nov 17th, 2012, 11:42am, NYC_Subway_Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I concur, that looks like Newark, with the highways near the airport in the background and the freight line in the nearer foreground.

Thanks, Alan......

I was virtually 100% sure that the photo was taken in the Newark area, but wanted to wait until I heard confirmation from someone "more in the know" that could substantiate my thought....

"H.F.M."

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »