Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 25th, 2017, 12:24pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

AMTRAK and the Election
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Amtrak Discussion
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, BNSF_1088, MidwestRailfan)
   AMTRAK and the Election
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: AMTRAK and the Election  (Read 79 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

AMTRAK and the Election

« on: Nov 13th, 2012, 8:23pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Without trying to set off a fight about the merits or demerits of B. Hussein Obama (sometimes known as Barry Soetoro), I see (TRAINS website) that it is expected that AMTRAK will be status quo under the continued administration. Re-election of the Democtatic candidate appears to be good news for it, as compared to the prospect of hostility from the administration had Romney been elected (especially if he'd had both houses of Congress controlled by Republicans).

On the other hand, the replacement of Kay Bailey Hutchison by Ted Cruz as one of Tejas' senators is NOT good news. Cruz is a convinced and committed Tea PArty doctrinaire and is NOT an AMTRAK partisan as Kay Bailey H. was.

photoman475
Historian
Re: AMTRAK and the Election

« Reply #1 on: Nov 13th, 2012, 8:51pm »

ClydeDET:

Well, if your soon to be sworn in new senator is so against Amtrak, I wonder if he will be the first to step up and offer to cut the Amtrak trains running to, through or orginating in Texas?  You know, to set an example for all the rest of the Senate and all that?

I just wonder if his actions will match his words, that's all.

I'm just glad that the Democratic candidate won up here in North Dakota.  Her Republican challenger would, had he been elected, would have been just like your newbie.  Perhaps our Dem offsets your Repub?

Alan

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13th, 2012, 10:39pm »

on Nov 13th, 2012, 8:51pm, photoman475 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
ClydeDET:

Well, if your soon to be sworn in new senator is so against Amtrak, I wonder if he will be the first to step up and offer to cut the Amtrak trains running to, through or orginating in Texas?  You know, to set an example for all the rest of the Senate and all that?

I just wonder if his actions will match his words, that's all.

I'm just glad that the Democratic candidate won up here in North Dakota.  Her Republican challenger would, had he been elected, would have been just like your newbie.  Perhaps our Dem offsets your Repub?

Alan

Cruz is pretty doctrinaire, and it would not surprise me in the slightest if he did offer up the Texas trains as a sacrifice to principle. Hopefully, the fact that there are other folks whose states would be affected will make it a gesture only.

If your Dim is pro-AMTRAK and rail generally, I'll join you in your feeling. I actually voted for the Dim for the Senate rather than the Reptilican, though it was a lost cause. I don't think Cruz is going to be a very effective representative for Tejas - too rigid, gonna be another Ron Paul except in the Senate. Except he won't have (I suspect) Paul's skill at ear-marking things for the State.

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14th, 2012, 12:46pm »

ClydeDET:

The Republican candidate would have happily voted to cut Amtrak.  The Democratic winner will vote for at least the status quo on Amtrak, and depending on how the fiscal cliff is dealt with, a modest increase in funding would not surprise me.  

Too many people in rural North Dakota are dependent on Amtrak for long distance transportation, given the high cost of the air option and lack of air service in many places.  This is what the Republican candidate never understood.

And if Amtrak had the equipment, they could easily expand the Empire Builder and fill it.  

Alan

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14th, 2012, 4:27pm »

Alan, I understood that was the situation.

A problem AMTRAK has had from the beginning is inadeqaute equipment roster, and it has only gotten worse as equipment buys were to minimum standards as far as numbers were concerned with no on-going procurement.

Most folks consider me a stern Reptilican (they are not correct, though neither am i a Demonrat), but I am much in favor of maintaining and expanding AMTRAK. We need more trains, of high quality and expanded network.

Examples (involving Tejas) include getting the Sunset to a dsily train; through sleeper to New York via the Crescent; restore Sunset to JAcksonville; Dallas/Fort Worth to Houston service (at a reasonable schedule - 4 to 4.5 hours, tops, to equal the 1937 Sunbeam, eh?); D-FW to Shreveport (proposed and under study): and D-FW to Denver service, preferably with a through car to/from CZ.

I do not plan to hold my breath, but do hope for at least maintaining current service and just maybe getting a daily Sunset.

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15th, 2012, 9:52pm »

Clyde:

Here in North Dakota, I'd settle for a daytime train on the former NP line.  Funny thing is, Amtral used to run one, the North Coast Hiawatha.  Or maybe not so funny, as the case may be.

Seriously, Amtrak has never been funded the way it should have been all along when it comes to capital equipment.  And most of what they do get goes to the various corridors, as it should.  Then, when, if and maybe only then, link the corridors together with some long distance trains.  And forget the TGV type service-Congress will never spring to fund the dedicated trackage that would have to be built.  (Doesn't that sound like a great model railroad name, When, If & Maybe?)

I think that Amtrak should concentrate on corridor service, not only in the Bos-Wash area but Chicago-St. Louis, etc.  I know strides are being made in Chi-StL, but I remember when that was a double track line, not the single track with passing sidings the IC turned it into.

I like the Texas areas you suggest for corridor treatment.

Alan

NYC_Subway_Fan
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 11:18am »

on Nov 14th, 2012, 4:27pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I do not plan to hold my breath, but do hope for at least maintaining current service and just maybe getting a daily Sunset.

There won't even be discussions on that for another two years; so I definitely wouldn't suggest holding your breath.    Based upon the agreement signed that saw the change in schedule earlier this year for the Sunset, Amtrak & UP can't even talk about a daily Sunset for 3 years.

Alan,

Take care and take trains!
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Nov 16th, 2012, 10:31pm »

on Nov 16th, 2012, 11:18am, NYC_Subway_Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

There won't even be discussions on that for another two years; so I definitely wouldn't suggest holding your breath.    Based upon the agreement signed that saw the change in schedule earlier this year for the Sunset, Amtrak & UP can't even talk about a daily Sunset for 3 years.

The parties to an agreement can always mutually and voluntarily agree to amend it. To, for example, allow discussion of a daily Sunset. i do NOT expect that to occur, you understand, but they can do it. A principle of contract law is that the parties to the contract can, by mutual agreement, amend or modify its terms, even to the point of recission. Takes both to do that, of course.

« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2012, 10:32pm by ClydeDET » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »