Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Feb 19th, 2018, 6:40pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Viewliners on the tail of the train?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Amtrak Discussion
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, BNSF_1088, MidwestRailfan)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Viewliners on the tail of the train?  (Read 97 times)
rmgill
Chaser

« on: Jan 26th, 2010, 5:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I've noticed over the past few weeks when I see the Crescent sitting at Brookwood Station in Atlanta, that the usual 2 viewliners are on the tail end of the train. What gives? They've always run the  

Power - Power - baggage - crew car - viewliner - viewliner - dining car - cafe car - coach - coach - coach.

Now it appears to be :
Power - Power - baggage - crew car - coach - coach - coach - dining car - cafe car - viewliner - viewliner.

Also, the crescent seems to be stopping and staying in Atlanta again and not proceeding south to New Orleans now on weekdays (it was on the Atlantic Steel siding again this morning).

« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2010, 5:30pm by rmgill » Logged
jmlaboda
Historian
Re: Viewliners on the tail of the train?

« Reply #1 on: Jan 26th, 2010, 5:53pm »

Maintenance south of Atlanta has service suspended.  I started to comment about the short consist but I know of many occasions when the Southern Crescent also wasn't all that long during the early years of Amtrak.  Just wish they had a daytime train on the same route... could generate more passengers, especially so folks who wouldn't want to get up at 3 in the morning to catch a train.

jerry
Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links added!!!
Interurban Passenger Car Photo Index
Presidents' Conference Car Photo Index
NYC_Subway_Fan
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27th, 2010, 8:49am »

All single level trains, except for the LSL, have had the sleepers on the rear for more than a year now.  The LSL because of the split/combine in Albany sees the NY sleepers on the bottom, while the Boston sleeper is up front.

The switch was made because the FRA was unhappy with the fact that the Heritage dining cars have no egress of their own.  In an emergency situation, one had to walk out of the dining car and through the length of the first Viewliner sleeper to reach a vestibule that one could use to exit the train.

By reversing the order of cars, putting the coaches up front and the sleepers on the rear, Amtrak can now run the trains with an exit vestibule on either end of the dining car.

PS. You've got the cafe & dining cars in the wrong place in your listing, the diner is next to the Viewliner and the cafe is next to the coaches.

« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2010, 8:51am by NYC_Subway_Fan » Logged

Alan,

Take care and take trains!
rmgill
Chaser

« Reply #3 on: Jan 27th, 2010, 12:23pm »

So they actually re-ordered the consist without turning the consists. How odd. Why not just turn the Viewliners around to get the vestibule trailing rather than leading and thus have a vestibule next to the dining car?

Not arguing, just trying to understand.

NYC_Subway_Fan
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jan 30th, 2010, 3:56pm »

There was a reason that they didn't just flip the Viewliners around, but at the moment I don't recall what that was.  Sorry!

If I remember, I'll come back and let you know.

Alan,

Take care and take trains!
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »