Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Feb 25th, 2018, 2:38am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Is Amtrak profiling railfans?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Amtrak Discussion
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, BNSF_1088, MidwestRailfan)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Is Amtrak profiling railfans?  (Read 327 times)
BnO_Hendo
Historian
View Profile  

« on: Jul 2nd, 2009, 9:39pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I read a blurb in the latest issue of Railpace, that was part 2 of a story. From what I can gather, they say that Amtrak engineers are "profiling" railfan photographers now.

Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks!

Steam Locomotives have a tender behind!
NYC_Subway_Fan
Historian
Re: Is Amtrak profiling railfans?

« Reply #1 on: Jul 3rd, 2009, 7:21pm »

Hendo,

I haven't heard anything specifically related to this, but it would seem to be in contrast to Amtrak's new policy on photography found here.

Now if the railfans are on the ROW or otherwise not in a public area, that would be a horse of a different color.

Alan,

Take care and take trains!
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Jul 3rd, 2009, 8:46pm »

Which "new policy" is that, and just where is it found?

BnO_Hendo
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Jul 3rd, 2009, 9:24pm »

I saw it in Railpace- that they were taking an unfriendly view towards railfans. It's upstairs and I'm downstairs, but I'll later post the gist of it here.

Spooler734
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jul 3rd, 2009, 10:06pm »

The June 2009 Edition of Railpace News Magazine has an article in it on Amtraks illegal photo ban. The article basically says that only paying Amtrak passengers are allowed to take photos or shoot video of Amtrak trains at Amtrak Stations. I haven't seen the July 2009 edition yet (That is if its even out yet) but thats really all I know about it. Plus I only bought that issue because it has a very nice article on railfanning around Cumberland, Maryland, and because I make a special appearance on page 32 .

« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2009, 10:11pm by Spooler734 » Logged

This year is the Western Maryland Scenic Railroads 25th anniversary! Plan your visit this 2013 season at www.wmsr.com
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Jul 4th, 2009, 6:44pm »

They will have a dickens of a time trying to enforce that in a lot of places - say Washington, DC; Dallas or Fort Worth, Texas; or others where they ain't the only tenant. Or Temple, TX where their station occupies the same building as a railroad museum (which has stuff outside on the platform as well as inside)....

« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2009, 6:45pm by ClydeDET » Logged
BnO_Hendo
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Jul 4th, 2009, 8:54pm »

July 2009 issue of Railpace: Amtrak's Photo Ban, continued:

"Now that Amtrak is awash in free Federal money and its future seems secure, its upper management has turned on some of its best supporters and customers.

We cannot allow Amtrak's Thugocracy to trample the rights of Americans by profiling photographers".  

« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2009, 8:55pm by BnO_Hendo » Logged

NYC_Subway_Fan
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Jul 4th, 2009, 10:03pm »

on Jul 4th, 2009, 6:44pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
They will have a dickens of a time trying to enforce that in a lot of places - say Washington, DC; Dallas or Fort Worth, Texas; or others where they ain't the only tenant. Or Temple, TX where their station occupies the same building as a railroad museum (which has stuff outside on the platform as well as inside)....

Well as noted in the policy that I linked to above (click on the word "here"), one needs to have a valid ticket.  It doesn't say Amtrak ticket.  This policy grew out of an incident in NY Penn where a railfan was arrested by Amtrak police.

The policy worked out with the National Press Photographers Association allows for one arriving/departing on a commuter train to take photos from a platform, provided that they aren't using a tripod and don't linger on the platform for an unreasonable amount of time.   Put another way, if your train arrived two hours ago and you're still on the platform, you can be hassled for it.  If it just arrived 5 to 10 minutes ago, then Amtrak police are supposed to leave you alone, unless of course you venture into a restricted area.

You can read about the NPPA's take on this agreement/policy with Amtrak by clicking here.

Alan,

Take care and take trains!
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Jul 4th, 2009, 11:51pm »

And if you are waiting for a train? Like I say - they gonna have some fun. and probably get sued. Successfully.

espeefoamer
Railfan

« Reply #9 on: Jul 16th, 2009, 1:28am »

Check the back cover of the current issue of TRAINS. They are announcing thier new photo contest. The top photo is of an Amtrak train taken from an Amtrak station platform. I wonder if that photographer got hasseld.

« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2009, 1:29am by espeefoamer » Logged
Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17th, 2009, 11:54am »

My wife and I just took Amtrak from Trenton to Arizona.  Fine traveling, if not a bit bouncey.  Their crew was grand.  
There was no mention of prohibiting photography anywhere.

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
GP30_5513
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Aug 11th, 2009, 4:20pm »

on Jul 17th, 2009, 11:54am, Eddie M. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
My wife and I just took Amtrak from Trenton to Arizona.  Fine traveling, if not a bit bouncey.  Their crew was grand.  
There was no mention of prohibiting photography anywhere.

You and your wife bought tickets, helping to line their pockets; why would they bother you?

Not profiling?  Maybe their policy doesn't state that they are, however, that doesn't mean that 'someone' working for them couldn't notify the Amtrak Police and have them hassle you, even if you are well within your rights.

« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2009, 4:21pm by GP30_5513 » Logged
AMTRAKYIPEE
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Nov 30th, 2009, 7:27pm »

The Mrs. and me just got back from a round trip from Taylor tx, to San Diego and back. Trust me when I say that we took trillions of photos in every station and of every train, and we were never even noticed, much less hasseled. I wouldn't have even known of this were it not for this post.  We both LOVE Amtrak !!!

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »