Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 1:30pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Monday 2/6/06
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Amtrak Discussion
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, BNSF_1088, MidwestRailfan)
   Monday 2/6/06
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Monday 2/6/06  (Read 84 times)
Royal_Palm
Railfan
Monday 2/6/06

« on: Feb 11th, 2006, 7:34pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I had to go from Baltimore to DC on 2/6. Time was of the essence, but I just missed the 1:40 PM MARC local. I thus looked into taking a more expensive Amtrak train ($18 vs. $7). Then came the announcement: Since train 125 had broken down, regular amtrak tickets would be accepted on the next Acela train. Thus I got my first ride on an Acela.

Despite stopping at BWI and New Carrollton, I did get the sensation of speed. The ride seemed very smooth. I did not get to see the food car or the first class car. I did like the pull-down armrest between the coach seats. My biggest suprise was the number of seats "turned around" with a smallish table between the two seat pairs facing each other. I would avoid those seats like the plague.

The Acelas that we passed seemed to be well-patronized. In fact, just about every Acela I have ever seen seemed to be well-patronized. (Baltimore Penn Station is close to my favorite watering hole, so I have frequent opportunity to see them.)

Besides #125, the southbound Silver Star was severely delayed. It was later cancelled; I don't know how Amtrak resolved the passenger problem.

At Union Station in DC, I saw two interesting things:

1. An Amfleet car that had been converted into an open-platform obsevation car. I have seen this car there before.
2. A heavyweight Canadian National obsevation car that was apparently hooked onto a MARC train.

Any info on these two sights will be appreciated.

PW_bullet_train
Former Member
Re: Monday 2/6/06

« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2006, 6:12am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Feb 11th, 2006, 7:34pm, Royal_Palm wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I had to go from Baltimore to DC on 2/6. Time was of the essence, but I just missed the 1:40 PM MARC local. I thus looked into taking a more expensive Amtrak train ($18 vs. $7). Then came the announcement: Since train 125 had broken down, regular amtrak tickets would be accepted on the next Acela train. Thus I got my first ride on an Acela.

Despite stopping at BWI and New Carrollton, I did get the sensation of speed. The ride seemed very smooth. I did not get to see the food car or the first class car. I did like the pull-down armrest between the coach seats. My biggest suprise was the number of seats "turned around" with a smallish table between the two seat pairs facing each other. I would avoid those seats like the plague.

The Acelas that we passed seemed to be well-patronized. In fact, just about every Acela I have ever seen seemed to be well-patronized. (Baltimore Penn Station is close to my favorite watering hole, so I have frequent opportunity to see them.)

Besides #125, the southbound Silver Star was severely delayed. It was later cancelled; I don't know how Amtrak resolved the passenger problem.

At Union Station in DC, I saw two interesting things:

1. An Amfleet car that had been converted into an open-platform obsevation car. I have seen this car there before.
2. A heavyweight Canadian National obsevation car that was apparently hooked onto a MARC train.

Any info on these two sights will be appreciated.

The Amfleet car you mentioned is the Beech Grove, a track inspection car.    The CN car and MARC coaches were either on the yard tracks  on the east side of the station tracks or on 29 or 30.  Stuff is usually put there in hodge-podge fashion.  As for your trip on the Acela  Express, those tables actually go over very well with the business-types, although the seats don't recline nearly as far.  But  I also enjoy its smooth ride and huge windows.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »