Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 17th, 2017, 3:51am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

"Boonton" and Stillwell cars in tourist service
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   "Boonton" and Stillwell cars in tourist service
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: "Boonton" and Stillwell cars in tourist service  (Read 674 times)
McAdoo WG
Former Member
Re: "Boonton" and Stillwell cars in tourist service

« Reply #20 on: Sep 23rd, 2015, 5:36pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

By far the snappiest-looking "Stillwells" ever to ride the rails were those on the NYS&W.

Before the car bodies were repainted a solid maroon in later years, these cars sported a very smart-looking two tone paint job, as seen here.

Some of the 1915-era arch-windowed cars ran until the new E-L/NJDOT push-pulls arrived in 1971........

http://rr-fallenflags.org/nysw/nysw-s2539ajz.jpg

(courtesy: fallenflags.org)

McAdoo WG
Former Member

« Reply #21 on: Sep 23rd, 2015, 10:29pm »

Waldwick, NJ, 1970.

Today, in 2016, a classic consist such as this was indeed constitute a "museum train", but, back in 1970 when this photo was snapped, a train such as this was just an average, everyday commuter hauler on the E-L's diesel lines.....

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/loco/el829akg.jpg

McAdoo WG
Former Member

« Reply #22 on: Sep 24th, 2015, 12:54am »

Whippany, 1973.

Never again to load throngs of homeward-bound commuters under the echoing Bush sheds at Hoboken, this lonely looking "Stillwell" patiently awaits whatever the future holds......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/pax/erie-c2174akg.jpg

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2015, 12:55am by CLASSB » Logged
McAdoo WG
Former Member

« Reply #23 on: Sep 24th, 2015, 1:12am »

Hoboken, 1974.

Car #2708 was one of a number of "Stillwells" which the E-L referred to as "through line cars" or "semi-suburbans".

Unlike the "straight suburban" Stillwells, these cars featured vestibule traps, diaphragms, and air conditioning, features not found on the older cars.

At one time, these cars could be found on virtually all diesel-hauled trains, from the "ERIE LIMITED" on down.

They were also commonly used on the Port Jervis trains (the last "Stillwells" ran on the PJ line until 1974).

My first day trip to PJ from Hoboken, back in the summer of 1961, was aboard one of these classic cars.....I can still feel the smooth leather seats and still taste the ice water (in those tiny paper cups!) from the old-fashioned water cooler, all these decades later......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/pax/el-c2709ags.jpg

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2015, 1:13am by CLASSB » Logged
McAdoo WG
Former Member

« Reply #24 on: Sep 24th, 2015, 10:34pm »

Retired arch-window "Stillwell" in MOW service at Binghamton, 1972.

Car is still in nice shape, and appears to be only slightly modified for work duty.

Some of these earliest "Stillwells" were still in revenue service only a few years earlier, a silent testimony to thieir solid, no-nonsense construction.....

http://rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/el473020akg.jpg

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2015, 10:36pm by CLASSB » Logged
McAdoo WG
Former Member

« Reply #25 on: Sep 24th, 2015, 10:45pm »

My favorite "Stillwells" were always the oldest, arch-window cars (for obvious reasons, I gave these cars the moniker "Archies" when quite young!)  

Here we see two of the old veterans at Secaucus, NJ, in 1972.

Note the stovepipes and TV antenna......cool details that would really make models of old these cars come alive.....

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/erie-c475020.jpg

Norm_Anderson
Historian
  superskunk-a.jpg - 65213 Bytes
« Reply #26 on: Sep 29th, 2015, 3:12am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

WG, I had the pleasure of riding in a set of "Archies" during the summer of 1967 and 1968, when they were in service on the California Western Railroad, running through the Redwood groves along the Noyo River between Willits and Fort Bragg, CA.  The cars were immaculate and well-maintained.  (Unfortunately, more recent videos I've seen show no trace of these iconic old gems).  But it was a wonderful trip, and one I can still clearly recall.  A more thorough description may be seen over on the "Regional Railroad Operations" board, on the "California" forum, in a thread titled "Redwood Country."

Regards,

Norm

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/superskunk-a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2015, 3:14am by Norm_Anderson » Logged
Norm_Anderson
Historian
  superskunk-c.jpg - 56560 Bytes
« Reply #27 on: Sep 29th, 2015, 3:12am »

And, another . . .

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/superskunk-c.jpg
Click Image to Resize

McAdoo WG
Former Member

« Reply #28 on: Sep 29th, 2015, 9:39am »

Norm:

Many thanks, my friend, for sharing these wonderfully nostalgic photos of those quirky old "Archies".....a LOOOOOOOOONG way from the Bush sheds at Hoboken!

As I had noted previously, they were my favorites of all the "Stillwell" fleet, and always looked for them in whatever ex-ERIE train Mom and I were riding out of Hoboken, 50-odd years back!

Some of these venerable relics were still in use in 1971, when all except the Port Jervis line were refurbished with new push-pull sets.

A "shorty" off-peak train, with a smoking RS-3 or a Geep hauling two "Archies" sure made more a neat-looking little train, back in the day!

I remember how they once crowded the yards at Hoboken; today, they are virtually extinct.

I can just hear Judy Collins strumming her guitar and singing wistfully:

".......where have all the 'Stillwells' gone........long time passing......where have all the 'Stillwells' gone....long time ago....."

Ahhh, yes....where have all the 'Stillwells'....and the years....gone......

'Mc WG"

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2015, 11:16am by CLASSB » Logged
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

Calif_Western_Skunk_Train_Ft_Bragg_Ca_1086_3.jpg - 62546 Bytes
« Reply #29 on: Sep 29th, 2015, 4:58pm »

Wow Norm - great photos. I also checked out the other "Redwood Country" thread. That was a great trip. The Stillwell coaches looked good in the bright colors. Much different from ERIE green!

I was able to check out the California Western quite a few years ago, but the steamer and Stillwell coaches were gone. Only the M300 was running at the time. (1986)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/Calif_Western_Skunk_Train_Ft_Bragg_Ca_1086_3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

McAdoo WG
Former Member

« Reply #30 on: Sep 29th, 2015, 5:17pm »

NEFAN:

BEAUTIFUL photo a a truly rare piece of passenger rail equipment!

Reminds me of sort of a distant "kissin' cousin"  to the ACF railcars once operated in commuter service by the NYS&W, through the 1940's.

They, of course, shared the rails with the "Archie" Stillwells then used by the "Susie-Q" on their commuter runs out of the ERIE's Pavonia Avenue terminal in Jersey City.........

"Mc WG"

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2015, 5:23pm by CLASSB » Logged
Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #31 on: Oct 2nd, 2015, 1:05am »

Right you are, WG,

And, NEFAN, that is a terrific photo of the M-300!

The M-300 is, in fact, a 1935 ACF (were they called "Brill Railiners"?), that saw extensive service on North Carolina's Aberdeen & Rockfish before heading west to the Mendocino coast.  M-300 was the largest and most streamlined of a fleet of four railbuses-- from smallest to largest, they were M-80 (a 1925? Mack), M-100, M-200 (now restored on the Niles Canyon Railway), and the M-300 here.

I found a great George Mihal video on YouTube, 16mm film of the California Western in the 1960s, as I remember it.  The first two minutes is devoted to the M-300, and then we are treated to many views of the Archie-equipped Super Skunk in its flashy crimson livery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzD39t2kT_s

The California Western was a thriving lumber railroad that also carried passengers, and made a pretty good living doing so, as can be seen from the 1960s films.  But times have changed-- when people think of Redwood trees today, they (rightly) think of preservation, not harvesting, and the lumber traffic has evaporated.  There is a more contemporary video (released Christmas of 2014), showing operations as they are today.  The CW soldiers on heroically, doing the best they can with what they have, but you can tell that things aren't quite what they used to be.  But it's a nostalgic and worthwhile ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haaU_SbPcuk

Regards,

Norm

P.S.  The California Western also wore the sobriquet, "The Crookedest Railroad in The World"-- climbing up out of the Noyo River Canyon, trains had to navigate eight and a half miles of hairpin turns, to cover less than a mile of straight-line distance . . .

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2015, 1:19am by Norm_Anderson » Logged
McAdoo WG
Former Member

« Reply #32 on: Oct 2nd, 2015, 1:51am »

Norm/All:

Here, in all it's classic Flash Gordon-esque glory, we see one of the NYS&W's streamlined railcars, near the Susquehanna Transfer station, where commuters transferred to buses that carried them into Manhattan, via the Lincoln Tunnel (Platform #51 of the PABT, after 1950)

You can just make out the Lincoln Tunnel helix in the right background.

These handsome cars indeed must have looked quite futuristic and startling, especially when compared to those wonderfully old-fashioned "Archie" Stillwells that carried New York commuters to and from the ERIE's Jersey City ferry terminal.

SUSQUEHANNA TRANSFER closed in 1966, after all commuter service on the NYS&W was abandoned.

Sadly, not one of these startling looking cars was saved....

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nysw/nysw1002ajh.jpg

*Norm: Imagine of these handsome cars in full SF "Warbonnet" regalia??)

(See my "Warbonnet Tribute" thread on the SF board!)

"Mc WG"

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2015, 10:29am by CLASSB » Logged
McAdoo WG
Former Member

« Reply #33 on: Oct 2nd, 2015, 1:58am »

An NYS&W "Archie" awaits its next run back to Jersey City at N. Hawthorne, circa 1946.

As I had noted earlier, these cars were easily the snappiest looking "Stillwells" on the rails.......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nysw/nysw-co2020ajz.jpg

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2015, 10:27am by CLASSB » Logged
McAdoo WG
Former Member

« Reply #34 on: Oct 2nd, 2015, 2:20am »

The gutted remains of railcar #1001 at North Hawthorne in 1946.

Sadly, these sleek, modern railcars were not without their drawbacks; their pancake engines were prone to electrical fires, which caused the untimely end of #1001, on its way to SUSQUEHANNA TRANSFER from Paterson in 1946.

A two-car set from the IC went east to the NYS&W in 1943; two more units followed in 1947.

By 1950, however, the railroad was using the streamliners as trade-ins to BUDD for the new RDC's; some air brake equipment was salvaged, but the car bodies were cut up at N. Hawthorne, according to BUDD records.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nysw/nysw1001ajz.jpg

(courtesy; fallenflags.org)

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2015, 2:21am by CLASSB » Logged
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

Valley_ex_DLW_coach_Essex_Ct._61281.jpg - 47239 Bytes
« Reply #35 on: Oct 2nd, 2015, 11:06am »

Found this one. Here is a Boonton line coach on the Valley RR in Connecticut. The open vestibules make it look much older than it is. -1981

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/Valley_ex_DLW_coach_Essex_Ct._61281.jpg
Click Image to Resize

McAdoo WG
Former Member

« Reply #36 on: Oct 2nd, 2015, 11:19am »

NEFAN:

If only the "Boontons" could still be found under the echoing Bush sheds at Hoboken!

It has been commented many times in numerous articles and publications over the years that these once-familiar cars did indeed look older than they were, due to their open vestibules.....certainly, few would dispute that!

I recall reading long ago that a number of the cars ended up in Connecticut; that the oldest of the cars date to 1914 (101 years ago!) shows us just how solid and rugged these antiques were built, back in the heyday of the heavyweight.

Hard to believe that the last of them were retired from revenue service 44 years ago......time flies........far too fast for my tastes....

"Mc WG"

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2015, 12:52pm by CLASSB » Logged
McAdoo WG
Former Member

« Reply #37 on: Oct 2nd, 2015, 1:00pm »

In the July 1969 issue of RMC, there is an excellent photo article on the Boonton cars (remember, at the time of this article, they were still in revenue service!)

All of the 1914-1917 coaches/combos were built by PULLMAN, however two RPO's were built by ACF in 1915.

It is also interesting to note that some of these cars were rebuilt as MU trailers, when the DL&W was electrifying its M&E Division.

A line from the article states: ".........in 1968, most of the cars are still in service, a tribute to both their original design and to the high level of maintenance they received over the years....."

Talk about being "built to last"..........(!!)  

"Mc WG"

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2015, 1:11pm by CLASSB » Logged
McAdoo WG
Former Member

« Reply #38 on: Oct 2nd, 2015, 1:09pm »

One year earlier ( July, 1968 ) RMC featured another excellent photo article (by Walter Ovesky), this one dedicated to the "Stillwells".

Photos include one of the two "Stillwell" combos (converted by ERIE shop crews), converted rider cars, and the ex-NYS&W "Archie" which was used as a yard office at the Edgewater yards for decades.....

"Mc WG"

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2015, 1:10pm by CLASSB » Logged
McAdoo WG
Former Member

« Reply #39 on: Oct 2nd, 2015, 1:22pm »

An excerpt from an RMC reader in Secaucus, NJ, (July 1969 RMC) to the editor:

"......ever since RMC did an article on Stillwells, the Erie fans are driving me crazy. Their battle cries are 'Stillwells will rule the world!' and 'Give me a Stillwell brake shoe for Christmas!' How can Lackawanna fans lead a normal existence with all this Stillwell mania around?"

This fellow went on to suggest that RMC do a similiar article on the "Boonton" cars.

The editor's response:

".........an article on those nutty-looking Lackawanna high roofed open enders  is in the works......and, how do you think the ERIE fans enjoy feel when those monsters break through the low-contoured silhouette of a string of Stillwells....."

I guess you can't please everybody......

"Mc WG"

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2015, 1:23pm by CLASSB » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »