Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 23rd, 2017, 1:42pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Save the Adirondack Scenic RR!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Save the Adirondack Scenic RR!  (Read 287 times)
Henry
Historian

« on: Nov 1st, 2014, 10:13am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

This is a somewhat complex issue. NYS DOT and DEC is apparently considering tearing out the former NYC rails that the Adirondack Scenic RR uses and converting it to 100% trail use. For the past several years I have seen articles and posts about it and it really sounds like there has been a full court press to get rid of the RR, including plenty of dirty tricks.

There is a powerpoint presentation by the NYS DEC at http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/rlptc2014shw.pdf that has a public comment email address nystravelcorridor@dot.ny.gov on page 25. I would like to suggest that everyone email that address and voice your support for the Adirondack Scenic RR.

From http://wamc.org/post/railroad-officials-discuss-vandalism-and-future-adirondack-scenic-railroad :

Quote:
"There is an ongoing effort led by a group called ARTA - Adirondack Recreational Trail Advocates - to create a Rails to Trails recreational corridor and pull out the tracks the Adirondack Scenic Railroad uses. Link says itís created a healthy discussion about recreation in the Park. He points out there are thousands of miles of hiking trails in the Adirondacks and the old Delaware and Hudson line has already had its tracks removed and could become a recreational trail.

The Adirondack Scenic Railway operates on two disconnected segments between Utica and Big Moose and Saranac Lake to Lake Placid. Link explains their goal is to complete the connection from Utica to Lake Placid by upgrading the segments that currently do not meet minimum passenger track standards."

I think the Adirondack Scenic RR is worth saving!

Henry

toddsyr

View Profile  

Re: Save the Adirondack Scenic RR!

« Reply #1 on: Nov 2nd, 2014, 6:16pm »

Me too Henry, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I sent a message in support of the Scenic RR to the address provided in the link you posted.

I titled the message:

Please save & expand the Adirodack Scenic Railroad!

I hope that was the correct thing to do.

Todd K Stearns

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15th, 2015, 10:05am »

Henry - Todd - Lodge Members -

Just had an opportunity to look at this brief thread. Anything new in efforts to repel
the Barbarians and Mongol hordes (includes "greenie" hiking zealots?)?

Equipment question? The Car, SILVER SPRING? By the old book, exactly what the type
at time of (obviously) PULLMAN build. Can't figure if delivered as an OBS/LOUNGE, or
whether a BUSINESS Car for first owner customer...

..............................Vern...........................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
centercab
Historian

« Reply #3 on: May 2nd, 2016, 11:00pm »

http://www.adirondack.net/whatsnew/2016/04/adirondack-railway-seven-to-save.html
and the fight goes on. There's an attitude going round, "if it's old destroy it"

Love that Solyndra!
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »