Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 17th, 2017, 3:55am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Can anyone identify this Interurban car?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Can anyone identify this Interurban car?  (Read 772 times)
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

PC300042_816x612.jpg - 75564 Bytes
« on: Jan 3rd, 2014, 2:31pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Found this rotting in a field east of Bath Pa near Tadmor yard. Does anyone know if it was headed for a museum and it's history?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/PC300042_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

HwyHaulier
Historian
Re: Can anyone identify this Interurban car?

« Reply #1 on: Jan 3rd, 2014, 2:51pm »

NEFAN -  

WHOA! That's a tough one! It does appear to be a "...right from the Catalog..." item from the near Century back,  
old NILES Company.

Beyond that? Beats me what you found...

..............................Vern........................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

PC300038_816x612.jpg - 87271 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Jan 4th, 2014, 9:59am »

The other end has an open platform. Not sure if it was originally built this way though.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/PC300038_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2014, 6:45am »

Got me, but a neat find. Any way to find out who owns the field it is parked in? They may know something.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jan 5th, 2014, 9:52am »

NEFAN - CHESSIEMIKE - All -  

The intuited "feeling in my bones"? The Car itself does not appear to be a more common all Coach config.  
The rear platform area hints that, at delivery, this may have been a Parlor Car config.? Problem with it? Few  
Interurban businesses were of strong finances for fancy of anything...

Next clue set? Check Maps. Consider distances between Bath, and Easton or Allentown. Makes one wonder  
if the old Car may be former LVT or P&W?

Finally. We must have somewhere around here, a member with much knowledge of the NE PENNA Interurbans.  
Your writer surely doesn't claim to know much about it...

...........................Vern.......................

« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2014, 10:08am by HwyHaulier » Logged

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Jan 5th, 2014, 10:30am »

Hi Gentlemen,

Sure looks like it was a fancy car back in the day. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell what it's ancestry is with the state of decay this is in. I wonder if this could have been part of the passenger fleet of one of the larger carriers (Lackawanna, Reading, et al)?

Charlie

~Charlie Ricker

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jan 5th, 2014, 10:58am »

Charlie - All -  

On a 'window count' of it, entire Car (maybe) right around fifty (50) ft. OAL? Fact it reposes on a 45' - 48' (?) Highway Trailer supports that.

Also, note in view from rear. At one time, there was something going on at what may be counted as first 'window pair', right side position.  
Likely an original Restroom?

Whether it had (or had not) originally wired for Interurban work? Fuggedabout it! By now, any loose piece of copper long gone.

SIGH! All entries in this contest count!

...........................Vern.........................

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

PC300044_816x612.jpg - 76772 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Jan 5th, 2014, 6:41pm »

Makes me wonder if it was "kitbashed". It might be made form more than one car or heavily modified. The platform on the back might not be original. I didn't have much time to look at it.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/PC300044_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Jan 6th, 2014, 8:15am »

NEFAN - All -  

Not to 'poison the well' here, but I'm not going for it (in yours just above). The sorry, old and neglected hulk looks  
very much as original NILES CAR product. If the case, then would it have been an earlier LVT or P&W Car?

Also, just spotted the Car is not on a highway flatbed. Rather it is on a forty (40) foot Container chassis. (Raises  
an issue. Chassis sold to someone else? If not, there's a leasing company looking for it.)

Beats me what the heritage of this Car. We gotta' have some NE PENNA folks who know particulars?...

Conjecture: Had it new with config as a Parlor/ Smoker? Perfect for LVT schedules serving 69th Street,  
Upper Darby. It could have happened?

...............................Vern.....................

firstbelt
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Jan 6th, 2014, 5:11pm »

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4764&p=22296&hilit=lehigh+transit#p22296

Don't know if the above discussion relates to this car...
I looked up Bath, PA to find nearby cities, and decided Allentown was a good place to start.  I came up with Lehigh Valley Transit.  Interurban lines were in competition with steam railroads for passenger traffic, so the average Class 1 railroad would not have purchased a car like this.

I used to volunteer at the NY Museum of Transportation, which has a couple interurban cars in its collection.  Many interurbans ended up as dwellings or cottages.  I'd guess the railing on one end was not "original equipment," but was reworked for convenience of the owner.

Lehigh Valley Transit actually served Bath, PA, but that's not a guarantee this is a LVT car.  However, I found a model manufacturer selling Jewett interurban cars very similar to this one.  If the car in question is a former LVT car, it was repainted green and white.

Just my two cents.
Bob

http://www.pknd.com/CarKit_jewett_LVT_815.html

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Jan 7th, 2014, 8:10am »

Good information - thanks. The open platform on the back seemed odd to me when I was looking it over. It seemed to me to be an add on for some reason. - who knows.  
Wish the undercarriage was still there, as it would help identify.  

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Jan 7th, 2014, 9:12am »

Bob - NEFAN - All -  

Great info! I had, at first, assumed NILES as possible builder. Somehow didn't recall JEWETT.

..........................Vern..........................

Charlie Ricker
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Jan 7th, 2014, 9:25am »

Bob/All--

Thanks for the great info.......the one in the "pknd" website sure matches the windows and roof-lines of this decaying car.

This surely was a beautiful car many, many decades ago.

Charlie

« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2014, 9:26am by Charlie Ricker » Logged

~Charlie Ricker

CandF
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Jan 17th, 2014, 7:41am »

The car is an ex. LVT Liberty Bell Car.  A sister car resides at the Lackawanna Trolley Museum in Scranton. Previous to this location, the car in Bath had been stored on the Rothrock car dealership property along Rt. 22 in South Whitehall (Allentown area).  I believe the car has multiple owners, which I won't get into.  From my understanding, museums had expressed interest in buying it, but the owners were difficult.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Jan 17th, 2014, 8:10am »

on Jan 17th, 2014, 7:41am, CandF wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...The car is an ex. LVT Liberty Bell Car.  A sister car resides at the Lackawanna Trolley Museum in Scranton...

CandF -  

Your writer is not a lawyer, or ever played one on movies or TV, but... Perhaps this may be a distinction with a difference?

Seems to me - and I surely can't claim as well read on a wealth of LVT History - the aging Jewett Car better thought a 'Liberty Bell Route' unit?  
That is, used years back in the P&W - LVT joint services?

What muddies the water in the 1930s Era LVT purchase of several (?), high speed, modern, lightweight rolling stock, promoted as 'Liberty Bell'  
Cars. Attractive and good equipment, but too late on the timeline to do much good? For myself, I have never seen or rode them...

.............................Vern.....................

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Jan 20th, 2014, 3:31pm »

It is a shame that this car was never restored. I found my copy of "History of Lehigh Valley Transit company". The only cars that sort of match this one are six 800 series Jewett cars bought in 1912. They ran on the Allentown to Philadelphia route when new.  

I still do not see any cars with an open Obs though. The car in Scranton is P&W #46 with a standard end.

Vern - yes you are correct. It was The Liberty Bell ROUTE, not a car type.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Jan 21st, 2014, 11:54am »

NEFAN - All -  

Many Thanks! Granted, in my initial conjecture, your writer rather taken with the (now proved faux) open observation platform.  
Some of the old books (can't recall precise sources) with Photos of De Luxe Interurban Cars with the feature. In any case,  
the type quite rare, and hardly made for a 'good fit' with majority of operators.

........................Vern.............................

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »