Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 20th, 2017, 2:13am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Railroad Museum of Long Island
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   The Railroad Museum of Long Island
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Railroad Museum of Long Island  (Read 5260 times)
Anthony_SRR
Former Member
Re: The Railroad Museum of Long Island

« Reply #180 on: Sep 25th, 2007, 6:48pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Thanks You. I try to get our name out there. But If I ever see C-68 moving I’ll know who to come see LOL.

Here are 2 events we will have this weekend I will not be able to make either because
1. One part  is on a Thursday which is a school night
2. The event on Saturady is down the street and I will be at the museum working

Here they are...
2007 Riverhead Hobo Gathering
and
The Twin Forks Folk Music Festival
“Round the Jungle Fire Concert”

Thursday(27) through Monday the(1)

Schudale for the Hobo gathering

Thursday, September 27

8:00 AM - The Museum grounds will be opened at 416 Griffing Avenue, Riverhead for arriving
Hobos, Kings and Queens, Friends of Hobos and Hobos at Heart. The Jungle will be
erected, electrical services will be run and inspected, shower and port-a-potty facilities
will be delivered, hooked up and inspected, Fire Marshall inspection will take place,
Everyone will get settled in.  

NOTE: tents/trailers must be kept a minimum of 10 feet apart for fire safety regulations, THX.

7:30 PM - The “Ceremony of the Four Winds and Friendly Fire.” This year “Redbird Express” will
be with us, (God willing and the Pennsylvania creeks don’t rise!), and has offered to
conduct the Ceremony with assistance of attending Hobos, Kings and Queens! This
ceremony will be open to the public and local Officials will receive special invitations to
the Ceremony.

The Museum will be open and the 16” gauge train will run for night rides.

Friday, September 28

9:00 AM - Local Junior High School students will be invited to attend the Museum to hear stories,
poems, and music of the road from the Hobos.

NOTE: At the 2006 Gathering it rained and thundered like mad during the school visit.
The rains poured down and the wind blew a gale. The temperature dropped about
twenty degrees, it was wild. If inclement weather prevails in 2007 or if it’s more
convenient for the school we may travel the two blocks to the Junior High School and give
a presentation in their auditorium. This element of the weekend is still being formulated.

4:00 PM - Techies and video folks attend to the Vail-Leavitt Music Hall to set up and install the
cameras and equipment to videotape “Banjo” Fred Starner’s documentary on Hobo music
and culture.

7:30 PM - The Vail-Leavitt Music Hall concert, “Round the Jungle Fire” will feature:  
“Luther the Jet”; “Serenity the Hobo National Gospel Singers”; “Cream City Slim”;  
“Totem Pole” Rik Palieri and “Banjo” Fred Starner. Hopefully “Grandpa Dudley” &
“Mad Mary” will give their famous poem about “America” and we all hope “Mama Jo”
will be the evening’s Master of Ceremonies!

Saturday, September 29

10:00 AM - The Railroad Museum of Long Island opens for the day. Model trains will be running, the
rolling stock will be on display and the 16” gauge park train will be giving rides. The
Jungle will be evident to visitors. “Cream City Slim’s” photo exhibit of Hobo marks will  
be on display. The Museum closes at 4:00 PM

11:30 AM - The “Twin Forks Folk Music Festival” begins under the pavilion in Polinaise Park, Polish
Town USA. (Just a block over from the Museum behind the Jordan Spreader!) Folk
Musicians will perform 40 minute sets throughout the day concluding at 9:30 PM. The
Peconic Amateur Radio Club will set up and operate a Ham Special Events Station on the
grounds. The ladies of the Polish Town Civic Association will vend food and drink at the
event! [Hey “Baloney Kid” – we gonna spit watermelons this year]

Sunday, September 30

Time T/B/D - Sunday Tent Service and Meeting under the blue and white community tent in the Jungle.  
Everyone welcome.

10:00 AM - The Railroad Museum of Long Island opens for the day. Model trains will be running, the
rolling stock will be on display and the 16” gauge park train will be giving rides. The
Jungle will be evident to visitors. “Cream City Slim’s” photo exhibit of Hobo marks will  
be on display. The Museum closes at 4:00 PM

Afternoon - Visits to the local Nursing Home(s) to perform for the clients.

6:00 PM - “J.P. Hobo’s”, “Dandy Don’s” and “Busy Bill’s” “Most Excellent Bar-B-Que!”  
Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, salads, corn on the cob, Americana at its best! For our guests in
the Jungle!

Monday, October 1

This day is the day to pack up the Jungle and say our farewells to friends until the next
gathering. The fire will be extinquished. Glass jars will be available for those that need
them to take some of the friendly fire ash for the next gathering. The sanitary facilities
will be packed up and carted off till next year! Happy Memories all!

Note: Each evening the fire will invite us to “set a spell,” relax, talk, make music and be in good
company. “Banjo” Fred may be around at any time this year with camera and microphone
in hand to get an interview, watch some music performed around the fire, hear a poem or
story and catch us for his documentary!

The Music Festival,  a few blocks from the museum so i;m out of luck, unless I take a walk on my lunch brake

THURSDAY, September 27, 2007

Join Hobo King “Redbird Express” for a special “Fire Lighting Ceremony” dedicated to the four winds and “Friendly Fire” at the Railroad Museum, 416 Griffing Avenue, Riverhead - 7:30 PM on Thursday, September 27, 2007. Bring a chair or blanket and share in the start of the Hobo Homecoming’s weekend of festivities, FREE.

FRIDAY, September 28, 2007

Friday night September 28th, RMLI and “Banjo” Fred Starner will host a Folk Music Entertainment, “Round the Jungle Fire” at the Vail-Leavitt Music Hall, Peconic Avenue, Riverhead. Auditorium doors open at 7:00 PM, concert begins at 7:30 PM. General admission is $15.00. Tickets are available by calling the East End Arts Council at 631-727-0900. Visa and Mastercard are accepted and remaining tickets will be sold at the door.  
Guest appearances will include “Banjo” Fred Starner; “TotemPole” Rik Palieri; Hobo King “Luther the Jet;” Mr. Larry Penn and “Serenity,” the National Hobo Gospel Singers. This year’s concert will be videotaped for an upcoming television documentary about Hobo culture, art and music.  

SATURDAY, September 29, 2007

The 2nd Annual "Twin Forks Folk Music Festival” takes place from 11:30 AM to 9:30 PM on Saturday, September 29, 2007 under the Pavilion at Polinaise Park, Polish Town, Riverhead. All day admission to the Festival including the Railroad Museum is $15.00, wristbands and tickets sold only at the gate.  
Performers include: “Ragtime” Frank Schaap; the John Divello Band; “Boom Mike” Meade; “Serenity” the National Hobo Gospel Singers; Ed Mocko; Glenn Jocquim and Rick Hall; Bruce MacDonald, Rocket and Friends; “Dune Grass”; “Eastbound Freight”; Rik Palieri; “Banjo” Fred Starner; Mr. Larry Penn; Free Grass Union; Mr. Bojangles and more!  
Special reduced rate Two-Fer Combo Tickets are available for admission to the “Twin Forks Folk Music Festival” and the “Hallockville Farm Museum – Fall Festival and Crafts Show.” Get two Festivals for the price of one on Saturday, September 29th! Adults: $17.00; Seniors/Children 5 – 12years: $11.00; Family of four: $50.00 Tickets on sale at the gate, Hallockville Farm Museum and Polish Town Polinaise Park.

For additional information or questions, please contact Don Fisher by phone at 631-765-2757 or via e-mail at n2qhv@arrl.net  

The Twin Forks Folk Music Festival

Schedule of Performers
Saturday, September 29, 2007

Polinaise Park Pavilion – Polish Town U.S.A.

11:30 AM "Ragtime" Frank Schaap    
12:15 PM  The John DiVello Band Long Island  
1:00 PM "Boom" Mike Mead New Jersey  
1:45 PM "Serenity" National Hobo Gospel Singers Maine  
2:30 PM Free Grass Union Long Island  
3:15 PM Ed Mocko Long Island  
4:00 PM Mr. BoJangles Indiana  
4:45 PM Glenn Jocquim & Rick Hall Long Island  
5:30 PM  Bruce MacDonald & Friends Long Island  
6:15 PM Dune Grass Long Island  
7:00 PM  Eastbound Freight Long Island  
7:45 PM  "Totem Pole" Rik Palieri Vermont  
8:00 PM "Banjo" Fred Starner California  
8:45 PM Mr. Larry Penn Wisconsin  

This is all copyed form the website at RMLI.ORG

Anthony

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #181 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 12:01pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Wow Anthony that all sounds great. Too bad I can't make it. Sounds like it's going to be fun. I mean I would go but Long Island isn't a 30 minnet drive from Delaware .
KB3PQD signing out

Only 100 more post till I reach 1000 .

« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2007, 12:02pm by Railfan Entertainments » Logged

www.youtube.com/user/railfanentertainment
MH765
Historian

« Reply #182 on: Sep 28th, 2007, 1:02pm »

Good to hear some LIRR M1s are being preserved, I've always been interested in the LIRR operations and equipment. Very cool to have a station right next to the museum...

"NS H86, Main Line over!"
Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #183 on: Sep 28th, 2007, 5:55pm »

It is very good to be next to the LIRR for the following

It makes for great tours for visitors, view Riverhead and take the train to our other museum down the tracks

We have somewhere to run No.39 when she is in service

I'll be at the museum tomorrow

Anthony

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #184 on: Sep 28th, 2007, 6:02pm »

Yo Anthony,

Sounds like you know when # 39 will be under steam once again. Let us know when that is going to happen. I still assume that 39 will be under steam before 35 will be under steam, unless you have information otherwise.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #185 on: Sep 29th, 2007, 8:54pm »

Tell me about it. Ok here is the story about No.39 And as far as I know 39 is in better shape than 35 so she would be done first

Story…The museum originally asked the state for $800,000 in 1990 to restore No.39. It took until 2004 for us to get the money due to political problems, but we got, what we wanted originally which is a problem. In 1990 it would of cost that much but currently we spent if not all most of the money so we have to raise another half a million dollars due to prices going up over the years so presently 39 is sitting doing nothing in the middle of getting tubes in, while her finished tender is sitting in Riverhead all shinny and new. I’m really worried that if the tender sits there for 2 long it will go back to the way it was before and we are back to square one. So right now we barley have enough money to keep the museum running without getting the money needed to finish 39 so we have a big problem

And to make matters worse the events we are having this weekend is a flop. No one is showing up so I believe we are loosing money with this.  But I must say this morning we had a number of cubscouts take a tour  and go to Greenport on the train. The same happened last weeks so that is good.

Our goal is to evetuly have the museum as a Tourist RR with Steam passanger trains but that will not happen for  A LONG TIME

Also next saturday I will be takieng my G Gauge Thomas set to run on the garden tracks outside
Anthony

Anthony_SRR
Former Member
  vol50.jpg - 38812 Bytes
« Reply #186 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 9:05pm »

I was at the musum today ad here are some pictures....

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/vol50.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Anthony_SRR
Former Member
  vol51.jpg - 44079 Bytes
« Reply #187 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 9:09pm »

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/vol51.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Anthony_SRR
Former Member
  vol54.jpg - 41324 Bytes
« Reply #188 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 9:12pm »

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/vol54.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Anthony_SRR
Former Member
  vol55.jpg - 36437 Bytes
« Reply #189 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 9:14pm »

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/vol55.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Anthony_SRR
Former Member
  vol56.jpg - 39531 Bytes
« Reply #190 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 9:17pm »

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/vol56.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Anthony_SRR
Former Member
  vol59.jpg - 43108 Bytes
« Reply #191 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 9:22pm »

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/vol59.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Anthony_SRR
Former Member
  vol60.jpg - 37564 Bytes
« Reply #192 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 9:25pm »

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/vol60.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Anthony_SRR
Former Member
  vol61.jpg - 39951 Bytes
« Reply #193 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 9:28pm »

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/vol61.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Anthony_SRR
Former Member
  vol64.jpg - 78371 Bytes
« Reply #194 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 9:30pm »

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/vol64.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Anthony_SRR
Former Member
  vol68.jpg - 46238 Bytes
« Reply #195 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 9:33pm »

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/vol68.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Anthony_SRR
Former Member
  vol69.jpg - 47451 Bytes
« Reply #196 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 9:37pm »

last one, I brought my Thomas set to run today

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/vol69.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Anthony_SRR
Former Member
  vol70.jpg - 72505 Bytes
« Reply #197 on: Oct 13th, 2007, 9:33pm »

Here are some pictures from today.... I was learning allot about the World's Fair Train today, and did some lubricating.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/vol70.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Anthony_SRR
Former Member
  vol72.jpg - 38412 Bytes
« Reply #198 on: Oct 13th, 2007, 9:42pm »

Here is the train going to greenport. Look at the difference in the lighting from the first picture I took to 3 minutes later to it…

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/vol72.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2007, 9:56pm by anthonyd_SRR » Logged
Anthony_SRR
Former Member
  vol75.jpg - 42000 Bytes
« Reply #199 on: Oct 13th, 2007, 9:46pm »

…Being very bright out, which is much better

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/vol75.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »