Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 13th, 2017, 6:25am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pemberton Township Historic Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pemberton Township Historic Trust  (Read 14049 times)
MachinistBoy46
Railfan
Re: Pemberton Township Historic Trust

« Reply #80 on: May 25th, 2006, 11:26pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hey guys-

I`ve never seen a state that spits on its own heritage as much as this one, and its a true shame. Like Green Elite said, how many more WaWa`s can we have? Are they at least going to throw in some free diesel fuel for you guys? (sad attempt at joke to lighten the mood, lol) Its sad how these multibillion dollar corporations control this world now.   Take care guys   -Chris

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #81 on: May 26th, 2006, 10:01am »

So sad but very true!

Later!
Mr. Ed  

90Fan
Historian

« Reply #82 on: May 26th, 2006, 11:04am »

on May 25th, 2006, 11:26pm, MachinistBoy46 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Its sad how these multibillion dollar corporations control this world now.

Actually, there was some town out in California that fought off Walmart. Anything is possible...

I'm ba-ack....for now, anyway.
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #83 on: May 28th, 2006, 11:15am »

A visitor from Lower (or was it Upper) Merion to the museum yesterday told us that they fought off a Wawa and even though wawa threatened to sue, got their way and there is no super wawa in their town. But it all depends on the politicians and sadly those in Pemberton wanted the wawa and that is why all of the petitions and e-mails were not admitted at the first zoning hearing.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #84 on: Jun 27th, 2006, 11:16am »

I was at the train show in Glassboro on Saturday.  I picked up an issue of West Jersey Rails III.    In this issue is many great photos of this line and of the working Pemberton rail yard in the 1950's.
 I also read in the Burlington County Times on Roebling Steel restoration.  One of the switchers in the yard is scheduled to be restored and on display there.

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #85 on: Jun 27th, 2006, 1:02pm »

I saw the article but didn't read it. That would be cool if they restore one of the remaining switchers. There are still two there, a 44 ton and a 45 ton.

Later!
Mr. Ed

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #86 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 5:51pm »

Hows it going?

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #87 on: Jul 26th, 2006, 5:02pm »

Just got back from vacation last night.

We got the remains of a Fairmount speeder two weekends ago. Frame and cab only. Wheels and motor long gone. Guy used it as a shed. John volunteered to paint it so it looks better. It is at the end of the track of cabooses. A new volunteer, Wayne, and I started putting the floor in the passenger shed we have beside the caboose track. This after three weekends of painting the chassis of the N6B caboose. Took 5 gallons of black to accomplish. We can move on to rebuilding the thing but need to collect some funds to buy the wood to do so. I will go up on the 5th to finish the flooring and see what Mike has up his sleeve for me.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

caboose9
Historian

« Reply #88 on: Jul 26th, 2006, 6:00pm »

Mr. Ed sed, "After three weekends of painting the chassis of the N6B caboose, we can move on to rebuilding the thing."

Hi Ed,

Several months ago I sent a copy of an article about PRR NX23 cabooses to the Pemberton Depot Museum.  

Do you know if the article arrived OK?

Curious, Roger

S. Roger Kirkpatrick, Cortez, CO - Gateway to Mesa Verde National Park
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #89 on: Jul 29th, 2006, 4:43pm »

Sorry for the delay in replying to your posting but my Netgear wireless router died, again, but this time they wanted money to troubleshoot it. So I went and bought a new Linksys router.

I do not know if they received the article, but I will ask. I do not do anything inside. I am strictly restoration on rolling stock.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #90 on: Aug 2nd, 2006, 2:27pm »

Way back on page 2 we discussed the availabilty of one of the steam engines that ran out to the Pemberton station. I was told and it was confirmed that #5351 is not around any more. But #3750 is! There is an article in West Jersey Rails III and there is a photo of #3750 with the note that it and #460 are in the PA RR museum in Strasburg. I went to their site and there is a nice story about the engine and its heritage. So even though there are two of the three engines that ran from Pemberton still in existance, the chances of us ever getting one are slim to none because of the historic aspects of both engines.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

90Fan
Historian

« Reply #91 on: Aug 2nd, 2006, 6:50pm »

Dude, I'd really love to see one of those locos run again, but they are just too valuable. 3750 is the only K4 visible to the public at this time (1361 is being slowly restored at Steamtown), and 460 is THE Lindburgh engine. I'm sure there are less historically significant steamers available, maybe even Pennsy ones, but I don't think you'll be able to get lucky enough for locos that actually went to Pemberton . But if you guys somehow got steam running, it would bring in LOADS of New Jersians who aren't satisfied with only one operable steamer in the state (NYS&W 142). Even Pennsylvanians like me, who have a bunch of great steam railroads within a 2-hr drive, would gladly go. But I'm looking forward to when you finally get operations going, and steam or no steam, I'll try to be there !

Brian

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #92 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 3:42pm »

You are so-o correct. Several years ago our organization approached the museum and were flat turned down. Witht he historic significance of both engines, I understand completely. But again, since we run on donations and grants, getting a steamer and fixing it up are about as real as getting the old yard next door away from WAWA.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #93 on: Aug 9th, 2006, 9:44am »

on Aug 2nd, 2006, 6:50pm, 90Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Dude, I'd really love to see one of those locos run again, but they are just too valuable.

Is there a danger to running the train again? I mean, i can understand if its like, if there ONE left of famous airplane from like world war 1, and they don't want to risk it falling out of the sky and being destroyed, but I figure that railroad locomotives are a little more sturdy than that.  Is there a big danger to running that locomotive again?

90Fan
Historian

« Reply #94 on: Aug 9th, 2006, 3:45pm »

Well I guess not...I'm sure everyone at Pemberton wouldn't be careless enough to let something happen (i.e. Gettysburg all over again), but what if a fire started where they were being stored? Or a flood? Besides, when it's not running, the loco would be stored in a shed, and the public wouldn't be able to see it. In a museum, you can look at it whenever. In addition, I'm sure both locos require a MAJOR rebuild before they could run again, including many replacement parts.

Brian

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #95 on: Aug 9th, 2006, 7:59pm »

True, But theres nothing a dedicated Crew and work force couldnt tackle!  

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #96 on: Aug 10th, 2006, 1:44pm »

At this time we have no plans that I am aware of for steam.  

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

N5C-Oct_06.jpg - 61814 Bytes
« Reply #97 on: Oct 5th, 2006, 2:22pm »

Well I went back to the museum last Saturday after taking 6 weeks off to take care of work around the house.

Jumped right back in to painting the N5C but the work was cut short because of rain. Here is what it looks like right now!

Later!
Mr. Ed  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/N5C-Oct_06.jpg
Click Image to Resize

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #98 on: Oct 5th, 2006, 4:25pm »

Looking good!  

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Tanker-Oct_06.jpg - 42253 Bytes
« Reply #99 on: Oct 6th, 2006, 2:32pm »

Thanks! If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I will attempt to install the side cupola windows we had made. I cut down a couple of 2 x 6 pressure treated planks for the wooden frame since the windows were made just a bit small. Hey, what do you want for nothing? In the meantime, here is a picture of the Tidewater tank car. Anybody want to come out and paint this thing?

Later!
Mr. Ed  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/Tanker-Oct_06.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »