Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 11:28am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pemberton Township Historic Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   Pemberton Township Historic Trust
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pemberton Township Historic Trust  (Read 14062 times)
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Pemberton Township Historic Trust

« Reply #60 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 4:30pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

One of the problems with being on a hiking trail is that there has to be access to all who want to walk the trail. I feel that we will eventually get some police patrols that might just deter some of this mischief.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #61 on: Apr 14th, 2006, 9:59pm »

How about security cameras and flood lighting?

on Apr 11th, 2006, 4:30pm, Mr._Ed wrote:       (Click here for original message)
One of the problems with being on a hiking trail is that there has to be access to all who want to walk the trail. I feel that we will eventually get some police patrols that might just deter some of this mischief.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #62 on: Apr 17th, 2006, 11:24am »

Right up there at the top of the list of things to do, as soon as the money becomes available.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #63 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 11:38am »

NEWS FLASH!

We just added a Tidewater tank car to our fleet yesterday! Thank you Pine Creek for the car. Built in the '20s it fills another hole in our consist. So on track two we have the unidentifiable caboose, hopper car, gondola, tank car and flat car. A box car  would be nice. Anybody got one they want to donate to our organization? It is in really good shape and should be real easy to restore. Now if we could find a volunteer to take on this project.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #64 on: Apr 20th, 2006, 7:41pm »

Cool!

Btw: Nothing new on the trail here.  

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #65 on: May 14th, 2006, 11:35am »

Ed,
  What is the good word coming down the pipe from the Museum?
It has been quite awhile since we've been privy to an update.
on Apr 20th, 2006, 11:38am, Mr._Ed wrote:       (Click here for original message)
NEWS FLASH!

We just added a Tidewater tank car to our fleet yesterday! Thank you Pine Creek for the car. Built in the '20s it fills another hole in our consist. So on track two we have the unidentifiable caboose, hopper car, gondola, tank car and flat car. A box car  would be nice. Anybody got one they want to donate to our organization? It is in really good shape and should be real easy to restore. Now if we could find a volunteer to take on this project.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #66 on: May 15th, 2006, 4:01pm »

We laid another 40' of track at the end between the cars and the diesel and we put the three sets of trucks on it so they are no longer sitting on the ground. That is 80' of track we put down in four weeks. Next we intend to put down another 40' of track and attach it to the set the diesel is on and curve it slightly to aim it at the other rails. Now if we measured right, there is a 23' foot gap that we will fill and then we can drive the diesel off of it's perch. That is after Karl finishes the brake stand. When we get the funding to put down the permanent track on the station side, we could tie the two lines together with a switch and then move our rolling stock around. If I remember to take my camera this weekend I'll get some shots and post them.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

MachinistBoy46
Railfan

« Reply #67 on: May 15th, 2006, 5:01pm »

Mr Ed.-

Hi there.  My names Chris, i`m 18 and have been working at Pine Creek for the last 5 years.  I saw the Tidewater tank was gone, but didnt realize it went to you guys. I`m glad to see it went to a good home.  If you ever need a hand when you get around to fixing it up, let me know I`d be glad to help out.  We were pricing around for painters for ours, and they all want waaaaaay too much money to do the job. Got the impression that they think we`re state funded, and that the state would be paying for most of it, so they could ask an arm and a leg for the job. So we`ll wind up doing most of it ourselves probably. Take care    -Chris L.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #68 on: May 16th, 2006, 4:17pm »

Chris you can come down anytime you want and work on the tank car. I am currently trying to finish the painting on our N5C which I jumped into while waiting for the chassis on the N6b to be painted. This while laying track, moving cars and trucks around and whatever else needs to be done. And we really do appreciate getting this car.  

Later!
Mr. Ed  

ETSRRCo
Railfan

« Reply #69 on: May 17th, 2006, 3:11pm »

Hey Chris you know you wont be going out there without me! lol. I was at Pemberton once. I let you guys photo copy pages from a Saddlers Time Book I have. Its dated 1957. The station was beautiful and I would really like to go out again and you can be sure if Chris comes out to work on the car I wont be fare behind. O by the way I am 17 and have been volunteering at NJMT for 5 years as well.

-Eric B.

« Last Edit: May 17th, 2006, 3:15pm by ETSRRCo » Logged

There goes another ET&S train of black diamonds

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #70 on: May 18th, 2006, 1:03pm »

You are both welcome to come out and get dirty! I will be there on Saturday probably taking more Conrail blue paint off of the N5c unless of course Mike (The Gang Boss) has something else on his mind. Since I have a distance to travel, I usually arrive around 9:45.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

MachinistBoy46
Railfan

« Reply #71 on: May 18th, 2006, 8:20pm »

Mr Ed-

Right I work most Saturdays at this point ( I work for the water company, and unfortunatley main breaks happen on Saturdays too ) So I`ll probably wind up stopping by some Sundays, when I can, as long as its ok. I commonly get called in on Sundays too Me and Eric (the kid above^^) are gluttons for punishment when it comes to track work as well, so It would be great to help you guys out with that too.  We`ve been replacing ties like madmen over the last few weeks at the Creek.  The abandoned ROW that you have is that the Union Transportation comapny line, or PRSL?  Take care   -Chris

ETSRRCo
Railfan

« Reply #72 on: May 19th, 2006, 2:58pm »

I thought it was the Pennsy. I have around 200 or more tickets from the Pemberton & Hightstown RR (UT). I have every station on that line but I don't think I see THIS station. I have Pemberton but isn't this North Pemberton? I have tickets to Hightstown, Sharon, Shrewsbury Road, Imlaystown, Cookstown, Davis, Cream Ridge, Hornerstown and Pemberton. All the tickets are from the New Egypt station and are still in the New Egypt station ticket box along with many more tickets to places like New York City and Philly. They are all from around 1933 which is around (from what I'm told) when the P&H stopped running passenger service. However these tickets and the box are not for sale, donation or loan. They were all a gift and I intend to keep them. Me and Chris will have to organize a day for me and him to come out and help.

« Last Edit: May 20th, 2006, 11:53am by ETSRRCo » Logged

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #73 on: May 22nd, 2006, 5:07pm »

Chris it was the old UT.

2 ft it was just Pemberton back then.  

We have spiked all of the rail that we have usable ties for. Mike was just talking about putting down the permanent rail but again we came up against the fact that we do not have good ties. We really have to find a way to get good ties even three sided used would be OK.

I also found out that Wawa completetd the sale of the old rail yard so it is now definite. There will not be a restoration of the yard unless Wawa gets a conscious or the county or state decide to preserve history and condemn the property and I do not see any of those happening.

But on a positive note, we were talking about the old yard and Mike took us into the underbrush and showed us the end of the rail that is still in the ground that ran to the back of the yard to supply the old oil tank farm that was back there. It seems that when PRR tore out the track in the '80s, they only took out their rails. The rail supplying the tank farm were on private property and are still in the ground. Mike was telling us that many years ago when they were allowed to search the land for foundations and stuff, they found the rail purely by accident. If you look at the satellite photo up at the top you will see the remnents of the storage sheds and to the left some tanks. The rail ran in front of these tanks out to the left and way down the trail before tying in at a switch. It would be so cool to clear out the underbrush to see it out in the open like it used to be. Maybe next weekend?

Later!
Mr Ed  

ETSRRCo
Railfan

« Reply #74 on: May 22nd, 2006, 8:53pm »

Dam Wawa.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #75 on: May 23rd, 2006, 3:36pm »

Amen!  

ETSRRCo
Railfan

« Reply #76 on: May 24th, 2006, 2:40pm »

To these people history is something you learn about in a book in school. They don't give a dam about preserving history for people to see. Books don't teach anyone the same amount the real thing does. People get a better understanding of something when they can see and touch it. Books are just pictures and words and will never be the REAL THING! I am a Civil War re-enactor along with a railroad museum volunteer. To me you get a much better prospective of say the American Civil War when you can go out and see soldiers and the guns they used, the way they camped and lived. And I'll tell you what you don't realize just how scary a 12 pound cannon going off is until your right there by it when it goes off. Or seeing a steam locomotive under steam when the safety goes off and the engineer blows the whistle or (for the few that have) being in the cab and seeing and feeling the fire every time the fireman opens the door to feed that steam breathing giant. To me that's how you learn about the past. What the hell can you learn from a Wawa? How to get fat and how expensive gas has gotten? To me this is a great defeat in the battle for historical preservation. New Jersey seems to keep losing this battle. We don't have much left. Just my $.05

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #77 on: May 24th, 2006, 9:53pm »

Its a shame the Wawa won, considering how many other Wawas there are out there. does there really need to be one every other traffic light?  

the whole thing kinda bugs me.  My grand parents lived on Staten Island, New york and got kicked out of their home so that it could be turned into a visitor's center for an old building called the Conference house in tottenville ( if anyone knows the area).  they also forced out their neighbors and entirely demolished that house.  

I can garuntee you that no one even knew this place existed. and trust me, it doesn't need a visitor's center.  the whole place and the surrounding land is so small, it just doesn't even make sense.

so when it comes to this Rail yard, it shocks me that nothing is being done. then again, this is New Jersey.    

So wait, how much of the yard is being taken over? could there be a small portion saved?

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #78 on: May 25th, 2006, 2:45pm »

Yea, a small portion of the wetlands in the back has been offered to us in an effort to keep us from hounding their every move. There is nothing back there but wetlands. All of the building foundations are up front and the turntable pit is about halfway back. I even suggested we talk to them about sharing the property with us using the existing building as a museum as planned and wawa putting the store in the old general store building and shoving the gas pumps way in the back where there is nothing of any historic significance but that was turned down.

We just have to accept the fact that they won and history comes up the loser again!

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #79 on: May 25th, 2006, 5:32pm »

It also appears democracy does work here either.   No matter how many voters were on the petitions, no matter how many council members voted against WAWA, it's the Mayor and his league that get they're way.   I have no doubt what so ever that there were gifts thrown their way to sweeten the deal.
      The kid said the right words,"this is New Jersey".   New Jersey politicians care nothing and I mean nothing about history.  This is especially true when it comes to railroad history.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »