Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 11:48am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pemberton Township Historic Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   Pemberton Township Historic Trust
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pemberton Township Historic Trust  (Read 14074 times)
Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Pemberton Township Historic Trust

« Reply #400 on: Jun 14th, 2011, 12:47am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

We stopped by Sunday afternoon and nobody was there from the Trust.  My wife commented how nice things are looking around the station area.  My wife and I share similiar feelings on what positive aspects the train museum has to offer.  There has to be an inside scoop on what Dave Patriarca really wants.

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #401 on: Jun 14th, 2011, 1:59am »

I to was at the station just today, studying  the equipment and enjoying the trail. other than some "grafitti" (side walk chalk) on the gondola,  things seem no worse than they were.  

checked out the railbus, and the 45 tonner.  neat pieces, but hopefully an engine will be forthcoming for the rail bus.  

Right now, that NX23 concerns me the most.  How do you repair that thing?  can the wood be replaced from the inside, or would the metal braces need to be removed?  The wood isn't so bad on the "north" side, but the south side is just starting to splinter.  

Still, nothing there is really doomed, they all just need polish and paint.

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #402 on: Jun 18th, 2011, 1:41am »

Congrats to Chris and Ed for speaking up on the record!

Posted: Friday, June 17, 2011 6:00 am | Updated: 7:00 am, Fri Jun 17, 2011.  

Pemberton Twp. still at odds over train station By Mark Zimmaro Staff writer Calkins Media, Inc. | 1 comment  

PEMBERTON TOWNSHIP — The township is still planning to remove several rail cars from the North Pemberton Railroad Station as well as the volunteer group that brought them there.

Despite pleas from a council member and a few members of the audience to work out a deal, officials said they don’t intend to renew a license with the township’s Historic Trust to operate out of the newly renovated station, which serves as a museum on Fort Dix Road.

The rift occurred when former Historic Trust president Michael Tamm authorized a 100-ton 1930s-era engine to be stored at the station, joining a fleet of about a dozen other rail cars that are in deteriorating condition.

After asking for permission to store the train at the site, Tamm was told in February that the township disapproved his request and told the trust to keep the site status quo.

Tamm had the engine delivered May 23. It was placed on land dedicated as an easement by neighboring Wawa to be used as a parking lot for the station once renovations are complete.

Wawa attorneys notified the township May 26 that action would be taken if the engine was not removed within 48 hours of the letter.

The letter from Timothy M. Prime LLC of Evesham states that “Wawa intends to bring action against your organization for ejectment, and for the damages by virtue of your breach of the easement agreement, including reasonable attorney’s fees and cost of suit.”

In response, Mayor David Patriarca ordered the removal of the rail cars as well as all other Historic Trust property last week. The township also notified the trust that it had sent a letter to Wawa requesting that the company enforce the terms of the easement.

At Wednesday’s Township Council meeting, Patriarca said the municipality is “negotiating terms for removal of the items.”

Despite the threat of a lawsuit, some people believe that the collection of historic but run-down rail cars and engines should stay or that the township should at least keep the volunteer group that has been operating out of the hub since the early 1990s.

Councilwoman Sherry Scull praised the Historic Trust for its volunteer work over the years and said she was unhappy that the two sides have not reached an agreement to continue to allow the trust to operate.

“I work for the schools, and when I drive by the train station, it’s hard to explain to children that they can’t go to the train station because adults don’t know how to behave,” said Scull, who is also a longtime trust member. “I hope individuals will put aside their petty differences for the best interest of the township.”

Patriarca said his goal was to continue pursuing a land swap with the county, which would take over operations of the train station once a formal deal is finalized. He previously said the extra rail cars could jeopardize a trade with the county.

“My hopes are still to have this site become part of the county parks system,” Patriarca said. “I think this would be a perfect fit for Rails to Trails. The only better thing would be a real rail service connecting to New York. But that’s not going to happen.”

Bill Bolger, a historian with the U.S. National Park Service for nearly 30 years, urged officials to preserve the railroad station, which was built in 1892 and is undergoing renovation.

“I’ve been very impressed with the volunteer effort there,” Bolger said. “I’m not personally involved with it, but I take friends there and it’s a great facility for our area. ... It would be a tragedy to lose.”

Christian Brown, a resident who helped restore rail cars at the station as an Eagle Scout project, also lobbied to keep the cars.

“It may look junky now,” Brown said, “but if you give it time, it can be put back together. I think over time it would be a good thing to preserve.”

During the meeting, trust vice president Ed Rizzo met with township Business Administrator Chris Vaz in a private room to discuss the station.

Details of their conversation were not available, although Patriarca predicted that nothing would alter the township’s plans to remove the rail cars.

“I don’t think anything is going to change,” he said at the end of the council meeting. “(The trust) had the opportunity to operate the information center out of that building, but they changed their mission by bringing in all these unauthorized items.”

robertjohndavis
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #403 on: Aug 1st, 2011, 3:25pm »

Having made contact with "both sides" of the story, it is clear that there is something the rail preservation community can do to keep the Pemberton museum collection together, on site and allow the museum to continue with their plans for restoring the equipment and interpreting the site.

What can you do?

If you are in NJ, attend the Pemberton Town Council Meeting this Wednesday August 3rd at 6:30pm. Location is 500 Pemberton-Browns Mills Road, Pemberton, New Jersey. Phone - 609.894.3314 The mayor's claim of ownership and intent to quickly auction the equipment will be discussed. The council has *not* approved the auction. It has been a unilateral decision by the mayor. It would be great to show support for the museum if you are available.

If you cannot attend, please send an e-mail BEFORE noon on Wednesday to each of council members. You can find their contact info at: http://www.pemberton-twp.com/township_council

What can you tell them? There are any number of messages they need to hear, from what benefits a museum brings to a town... to the historic nature of the collection... to the concerns that the mayor is pushing for an auction of the equipment rather than working with the town and county to continue progress at the museum.

These guys need help. They have a political drama/vendetta being played out... they were recent the victims of metal theft... and yet, they still intend to complete their vision for a first class museum and interpretive site.

This is the next step. See if the town council will take action and delay/cancel the auction.

Where to go after that will be decided by events of Weds night.

Hope for the best, and raise your voices!

Rob

PS: I am not directly involved with the Pemberton Historic Trust, but I am concerned - as are many of you - about the legal issues involved and the threat that a scrapper could end up with the whole collection.

Ahead of the Torch
http://www.robertjohndavis.com/

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #404 on: Aug 12th, 2011, 10:31am »

The NX-23 is what is termed an externally braced car. So the car was built from the outside in. So to restore it, it must be done from the inside out. The sad thing is that the interior is in really nice condition. So the car must be emptied, ( a huge undertaking since it used for staorgae and is full), then the walls must be stripped carefully and marked so they go back in where they came out. Then the exterior must be stripped off, the metal cleaned and painted, then reassembled with new planks, and then the interior reassembled. They do have the bay windows although both are in bad shape. It is the largest single project on site and when I was in charge of the volunteers, I had it last on the schedule of things to be done along with the reconstruction of the N6b. Both will require huge donations for materials and would have to be handled accordingly. But there have been inquiries from local folks about contributions. But it is all speculation if the mayor continues on his path of political self destruction.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #405 on: Aug 12th, 2011, 10:39am »

As of this morning, the mayor has canceled the sale (whose legality was being questioned) but now plans on impounding the equipment using an ordinance written for abandoned cars and trucks. But here is the really strange part that proves that there is more than going on than the arrival of the new engine. The mayor said he wants all of the equipment gone. But now he is going to have it removed as abandoned but has said that the trust can have it back if they pay the storage fees and pay to move it back. HUH?   So if he wants it all gone, why is now saying it can be bought and returned?   Somebody please explain this to me.  

Later!
Mr. Ed

Oh, and one way to help is to go to the county website and send e-mails to the freeholders asking them to step in and stop this insanity. Since they have been a leader in government in historic preservation with the outstanding job they have done with Smithville, they would be the ones that could take the station to the next lavel and the station would provide the eastern anchor to their historic holdings.

And I too am not a representative of the trust. Just a supportive citizen.

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #406 on: Sep 5th, 2011, 2:11am »

The mayor wanted Mike Tamm gone, so he steps down. The hurricane comes and now a lot of the historical paper articles are soaked with rain water because the township would not allow members of the PHRT go in the basement before the hurricane.  The mayor says he wants some of the cars scrapped and is using this conjerted up complaint that citizens in the area have been complaining of the site of the rail cars, though they are stored far from the road.  
Karl showed me a couple of the ledgers he is drying out.
He told me there was going to be a protest march on Thursday.
So what happened Mr. R?

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

45_tonner-2.jpg - 44238 Bytes
« Reply #407 on: Sep 18th, 2011, 11:58am »

We had 9 volunteers out Saturday and we got the 45 tonner in primer. If I get the opportunity this week I will stripe it as we can get it in green this Saturday. Here are a few before and after shots.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/45_tonner-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2011, 11:59am by Mr._Ed » Logged
Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #408 on: Sep 18th, 2011, 12:02pm »

And now the after shot!!!

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

45_tonner_816x612.jpg - 156484 Bytes
« Reply #409 on: Sep 18th, 2011, 12:26pm »

Geez Eddie! Give me some time will ya! This resizing takes time!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/45_tonner_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2011, 12:27pm by Mr._Ed » Logged
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

45_tonner-4.jpg - 34115 Bytes
« Reply #410 on: Sep 18th, 2011, 12:30pm »

The other way before............

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/45_tonner-4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2011, 12:32pm by Mr._Ed » Logged
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

45_tonner-2_816x612.jpg - 137958 Bytes
« Reply #411 on: Sep 18th, 2011, 12:31pm »

......and after.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/45_tonner-2_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #412 on: Sep 18th, 2011, 10:55pm »

Very Nice!  wish i could have gotten out there! maybe this saturday...

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #413 on: Sep 18th, 2011, 11:17pm »

Bonnie and I went out there this afternoon. I spoke with Gary ,walked the grounds...very nice...poor literature.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

45_tonner_in_green-2_560x420.jpg - 77015 Bytes
« Reply #414 on: Oct 3rd, 2011, 9:53am »

Here is a shot of the 45 tonner in color. But since we are locked out, again, the windows aill have to wait.

Later!
Mr. Ed

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/45_tonner_in_green-2_560x420.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2011, 9:54am by Mr._Ed » Logged
Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #415 on: Oct 27th, 2011, 12:15am »

I have a field trip scheduled for November 15 to the Pemberton Historic Trust.   I would hope there will not be another lock out for the school children.
BTW the switcher looks fine!

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #416 on: Oct 29th, 2011, 1:39pm »

I spoke with Mike Tamn yesterday afternoon.  I have everything set up for November 18th for the tour.  He is a very nice man to talk with.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #417 on: Nov 5th, 2011, 10:57am »

We have to request the key from the township whenever we want get into the building. Is this any way to treat a township entity?

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #418 on: Dec 3rd, 2011, 9:01am »

My students and I had a very nice, informative tour (11/17/11) of the facilities by Mr. and Mrs. Tamn as well as Karl Smith on the outside displays. (Excellent job done by all)
My students who attended enjoyed the trip and the information and at least one of them wants to volunteer whenever he can on a weekly basis.
How about that?

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #419 on: Dec 24th, 2011, 10:49am »

Sorry for the delay in responding but I only check this site ince or so a month since there are only two or three people reading the posts.

I heard from many people that the kids did enjoy themselves and some were even talking about the trip weeks later. But since we have been evicted, there probably won't be any museum for them to visit or volunteer at very soon. Sad that a single man can wield that much power. Equally as sad is the fact that the council can be bullied by this man and his minnions.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »