Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 16th, 2017, 6:10pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pemberton Township Historic Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   Pemberton Township Historic Trust
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pemberton Township Historic Trust  (Read 14021 times)
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

Re: Pemberton Township Historic Trust

« Reply #40 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 8:28pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Awesome!!!
Also, what's the street name or adress of your project? I'm trying to find it on http://www.google.com/lochp?hl=en&tab=wl&ned=us&q= under the satelite maps....

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2006, 8:29pm by BC_and_A_railway » Logged

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
Anthony_Ribera
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 11:27pm »

The engine with the Tender Chalked "Last Steam Train To Pemberton" Was a K4s. That engine has since met its match, and might be recycled a couple times, and hey ya never know it could be in your car that ya drive or in your refrigerator! The K4 thats outside at Strasburg is #3750. Im sure she passed through Pemberton numerous times in the 50's but she wasnt the last im sorry. The last is LOOOOONNNNGGGGG  GOOOOONNNNEEEEEE !!!!!!!

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2006, 11:29pm by Anthony_Ribera » Logged
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #42 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 10:04am »

BC
We don't have a web site at this time but if you go back to page one of this thread, Eddie M has two links and the second on is the Pemberton Township web site with a blurb about us.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 10:09am »

Thanks Anthony. Sad to hear that, but life is full of disappointments. Although we would like to gather as much of the original rolling stock as possible, our collection doesn't contain any yet! Though the picture of the N6b on the Keystone Crossings site could be the N6b we have. The original  number is written down and we are having trouble locating it. We do have the stencils the previous owner had cut but they too are missing but we do know they are in the section house. But the section house looks like your average garage. Cluttered!

Later!
Mr. Ed  

green_elite_cab
Historian
  Pemberton_Historic_Trust.jpg - 70641 Bytes
« Reply #44 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 7:52pm »

on Feb 4th, 2006, 8:28pm, BC_and_A_railway wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Awesome!!!
Also, what's the street name or adress of your project? I'm trying to find it on http://www.google.com/lochp?hl=en&tab=wl&ned=us&q= under the satelite maps....

You can actualy find it if you know where the Pemberton Industrial track ( CSAO) is.  you simply follow the abandoned tracks east from Mount Holly.   you'll notice a big line in the trees, and long thins sand patches that used to be the right of way.   the tracks diverge near the the Pemberton Historic trust site,  one going east to the shore (you'd be surprised how far you can follow the old tracks)  and the other goes north to the Pemberton. origninaly it would have continued on to an old yard just west of MacGuire AFB.  You can still see the tracks there to from the satelite images, but I haven't seen them in person.    

I've been watching and listening about the Pemberton Historic Trust, and since i'm failry close ( probably 10-15 minutes away)  I almost wonder if I could get involved, like in the summer or stomething when I don't have alot of school work to bog me down.   And maybe one day on my way to Eagle scout (I still have a long way to go)  it might be possible to help for an Eagle Project or something.  Would I be able to volunteer in the summer?  

Here is a satellite picture of the equipment and station.   Were there once many more tracks there? i can see lots of lines in the feild next to the tracks.    

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/Pemberton_Historic_Trust.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2006, 7:52pm by green_elite_cab » Logged

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #45 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 7:56pm »

Thanks! I thought that was it, but I wasn't to sure....  
Also, hows the 100T going? and the search for rail supply's?

« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2006, 7:57pm by BC_and_A_railway » Logged

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #46 on: Feb 7th, 2006, 3:55pm »

Thanks green! And of course you can volunteer to help! I can speak with our president about your Eagle Scout project idea. But keep in mind that most of the work is hard and dirty. But ver-ry rewarding. You are a lot closer than I am (45 miles, 1 hour). Yes there were tracks next to the station. That is where the old PRR yard was until the '50s. We are trying to buy it but as I stated before, Wawa wants it for a Super Wawa. It doesn't look good. Another historic sit might bite the dust. There was turntable, single engine house, general store, etc.  

BC
Karl was at it again on Friday and agin Sunday. He has the brake pedestal apart for seal replacement. He is oiling down a huge bolt on the truck so we can remove one of the springs that is broken and sagging because of it. He finished putting the glass in the cab so it is now dry.  

Funny, while I am working on the N5C, the wind will be blowing the roof sheeting on the old storgae shed in the old yard and I keep thinking that it would be so nice if we had the yard because that building is going to be our restoration shop. It is huge! I figure we would be able to put three tracks wide and hold two dozen or so cars. Sorry, I drift off into dream land sometimes. But it would be nice to be able to work regardless of the weather outside.  

We have a couple of leads on ties but the problem is their sheer size and weight. After several discussions we have decided that our first priority is to get the electric service in the section house. It is tough working from extension cords from the station. Know anybody that has a 1,000' roll of double 00 aluminum direct burial cable laying around that they aren't using? Or a 200 amp meter socket or service panel?

We plug along a little bit every day.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #47 on: Feb 22nd, 2006, 4:07pm »

Hey Green! I haven't been to the station in two weeks so I e-mailed your project request to Mike for his perusal. I'll let you know what he thinks.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #48 on: Mar 2nd, 2006, 5:57pm »

Hello people!

There are questions out there dealing with the locomotive-s that were on the Pemberton Branch before steam's demise.  There was also a question concerniing the track work arrangement.
    I now can link you all to the answers to those questions.  BTW, 5244 was the last steamer in New Jersey (1959) working out of Ft. Dix, an 0-6-0.

http://kc.pennsyrr.com/guide/images/pembertonmap.jpg

http://kc.pennsyrr.com/guide/images/pemberton5.jpg

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:03am »

Eddie, that is so cool! The map I had seen before but that is the first time I had seen that photo.

The foundations for the buildings in the yard are all still there and if we get the ground we will rebuild everyone of them. We have unearthed the bunk house foundation as well. We are looking for a set of plans for it so it can be rebuilt just like the section house was. The only thing we will not be able to do is put back all three lines at the station since it is a Rails to Trails site. We can put back the main line and the second siding but the first siding is the hiking trail.  

Thanks

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #50 on: Mar 12th, 2006, 10:39am »

I'm very happy you find the link-s useful!    
   I passed by Roebling Steel and noticed that there appears to be 2 lcomotives left here and a crane car.  Is the Museum interested in them too?
   Also does anyone know if #5244 escaped the scrapper's torch?

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #51 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 11:52am »

Sorry for the delay in responding. Verizon shut my DSL down while they switched my service from dynamic to static which I didn't need. They told me on the 9 th it would be back up on the 15 th! Wrong! I switched to AT&T and got up late last night.

What is #5244? Yes we are interested in the diesels and crane but we need the money to move them.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #52 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 4:43pm »

What kind(s) of locomotives are they?  

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 10:55pm »

(Mr. Ed quoted  What is #5244?)
    #5244 was the last steam locomotive operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad on the Pemberton line into Ft. Dix.

(Posted by: BC_and_A_railway  What kind(s) of locomotives are they? )
      They are 100 ton General Electric center cab diesels, just like the one Karl is working on in Pemberton.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #54 on: Mar 18th, 2006, 11:34am »

I was told the last steam to operate on the line was #5331 or #5351 depending on who you speak to. 90Fan posted earlier that neither engine exists at Strasburg. It is on our dream sheet to have a steam excursion but like many other things, they are just dreams.

BC. One is reported to be a 65 ton center cab and the other one is either a 44 or 45 ton. I get them confused. It is the one with external drive arms, because one is missing.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #55 on: Mar 18th, 2006, 6:31pm »

Cool, I Hope you all can work something out!

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #56 on: Mar 21st, 2006, 5:00pm »

Me too!

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #57 on: Apr 9th, 2006, 1:08pm »

Wednesday night someone punched out all but two of the windows in the N5C. The only two they didn't knock out were the two on the west end of the caboose farthest from the street. Now I have another project-putting them back in. Something I wanted to do! Mike called and gave the police heck for not patrolling the area more. Funny thing is two Sundays ago I was there cleaning the site and I noticed two cop cars sitting in front of the rail yard for an hour and twenty minutes. Yesterday there was one out there for over an hour. Talk about frustrating!

Later!
Mr. Ed  

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #58 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 7:35pm »

That sucks, maybe its time for a fence...  

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #59 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 11:43pm »

knowing the how kids are they will find a  way through.   Whats wrong with people like that?  to bad you can install an alarm system or something.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »