Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 16th, 2017, 6:11pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pemberton Township Historic Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   Pemberton Township Historic Trust
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pemberton Township Historic Trust  (Read 14023 times)
green_elite_cab
Historian
Re: Pemberton Township Historic Trust

« Reply #380 on: Mar 22nd, 2010, 2:26pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

here it is on their website.  I picked it up at the Transit Museum Store in Philadelphia when i was there.  That was their last copy.  I'm not sure i've seen any store sell it,  but it is on the internet.  

https://www.ribbonrail.com/HerronRail/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=41&osCsid=91qdlmct03tc9vahi8lcd503v3

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #381 on: Mar 24th, 2010, 2:28pm »

Thanks Chris. I'll see if we can it for the gift shop at a better price.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #382 on: Mar 29th, 2010, 8:48am »

On Saturday, we commited a neatness inside the NX23. We threw out about one bag of trash. But we did make lots of room inside there just by stacking stuff rather than having it thrown on the floor inside the door. When we started, we had to sneak through the door to gain entry. Now the door opens all the way to the wall! We tried to keep the south wall as empty as possible so in the event we decide to strip the inside wall to acces the outside wall, we can do it without having to move half of the stuff in the car.

Next Saturday we are going to wire brush the roof and get it in primer and ready for patching.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #383 on: Apr 10th, 2010, 1:24pm »

My wife and I went down to see all the improvements you have been talking about Easter Sunday.
We liked what we saw that day.
I see that the ash pit is full of water now.
What is the foundation you uncovered nearer to the work shed along the old row?

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #384 on: Apr 12th, 2010, 8:41am »

The footings for the freight house and the platform were uncovered years ago. That is the only thing nearer to the section house. Unless you are referring to the round foundation near the tank which is the top of the turntable pit.  

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #385 on: May 10th, 2010, 9:39am »

For those of you that haven't heard, the grant is in and it has been put out to bid. Watch the site for work to begin in a few months. The first things to be done will be the platform reconstruction, with period correct lighting, the parking lot grading,  fencing at the property line and lights at the back of the parking lot. If the funds are available, we will get electricity in the section house, the bunk house will be rebuilt, and there will be 1500' of track down with the freight siding back in operation.

Watch the station transform in front of your eyes!

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #386 on: May 10th, 2010, 9:40am »

Almost forgot! We should have our web site up and running in a few weeks. When it is completed, I'll post the address here.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #387 on: May 25th, 2010, 12:10am »

on May 10th, 2010, 9:39am, Mr._Ed wrote:       (Click here for original message)
For those of you that haven't heard, the grant is in and it has been put out to bid. Watch the site for work to begin in a few months. The first things to be done will be the platform reconstruction, with period correct lighting, the parking lot grading,  fencing at the property line and lights at the back of the parking lot. If the funds are available, we will get electricity in the section house, the bunk house will be rebuilt, and there will be 1500' of track down with the freight siding back in operation.

Watch the station transform in front of your eyes!

Later!
Mr. Ed

From the looks of what I just read, you guys are dreaming big.  
I really hope it all come to fruition

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #388 on: Jun 7th, 2010, 8:56am »

The bids came back too high and have been rejected. That's all we have been told so far.

But on a positive note, in the next few weeks we will have our own web site. It will be www.ptht.org. Most of the content from here will be transferred over to our site. It will cover all of the area history, not just the rail history and happenings like here. I'll let you know when it happens.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #389 on: Aug 14th, 2010, 11:19am »

The bid went out again and has come back and been awarded. To enable the contractor to get at the platform, we laid down two sticks of track last week so we can move the platform consist down the trail farther. We got the ties and rail down but ran out of time so Karl is at the station today with a group of volunteers spiking rail.

The bid will only get the platform done with lights and maybe electricity to the section house. No bunkhouse, no track!

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #390 on: Sep 8th, 2010, 12:15am »

Edward,
     I am happy to read the good news over at the PHT.
When time allows, I wan to go over there and look at what you fellows have accomplished.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #391 on: Sep 15th, 2010, 2:06pm »

Our website is up and running. But it isn't the one  posted soem time ago. t is www.pthtrust.org. It has basic information right now but there is a ton of information to come. We have so much stuff that is tough deciding what gets up there first.

But for those of you that haven't been by the station in a while, we put down three sticks of ail and moved all of the rlling stock away from the platform so the contractor as a clean shot to get in and do his work when they finally start.

We also have a new addition. We are the recipients of a 1939 Ford railbus. It is rough and needs a lot of work but it does roll rather easily. We hope to get it on rails real soon. We have been told that it came from Ft. Dix but we are still waiting for confirmation on that.

We will be there on Saturday working if anybody has some spare time.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #392 on: Oct 27th, 2010, 9:05am »

Nobody commented about our newest addition, the 1939 Ford railbus. This showed up rather quickly about two months ago. It is reported to have run in Ft Dix to move prisoners out to the UT to provide prison labor to work on the rails. The engine and transmission are gone but we have been able to find replacements when the money becomes available. This will make a great ride down the trail when we finally get the bucks to lay the rail. We hope to get it moved into the yard soon so we can get access to work on it.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #393 on: Nov 9th, 2010, 4:51pm »

Saturday we literally drug the rail bus up to the front of the yard. I raked out the ruts later in the trail. We put it up on 60# rail in front of the bumper, between the opening in the fence and the diesel. We have a volunteer who wants to restore the rail bus and the telegraph shack.

To that end we are looking for any photos anybody might have of the rail bus in service at Ft. Dix in the '40s. Look in those boxes in teh attic and let us know if you find anything.

Later!
Mr. Ed

TOMSTV
Enthusiast

« Reply #394 on: Nov 11th, 2010, 6:46pm »

For what it's worth,I was able to get a picture up on NJ.COM
 http://photos.nj.com/photogallery/2010/10/pemberton_train_station.html

« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2010, 6:49pm by TOMSTV » Logged
TOMSTV
Enthusiast

« Reply #395 on: Nov 15th, 2010, 9:21pm »

Send me some pictures of the place ,and i'll post them on line. I enjoyed seeing the station and it's rr collections,very nice.

tomstv1@msn.com

« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2010, 9:51pm by TOMSTV » Logged
Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #396 on: Nov 20th, 2010, 10:54pm »

I did see the railbus a few weeks ago when I was down there.
I was chatting with Karl Friday and today about the goings on at the PHT.  Like you said, not goodwith the contractors.
Karl mentioned something about getting a 6 cylinder Ford engine to install in the rail bus.  

« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2010, 10:55pm by Eddie M. » Logged

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #397 on: May 22nd, 2011, 12:39pm »

I gather you are not too impressed with the outside contractors Ed.  It seems that when a certain entity gets a bug up their ass, that entity wants everyone to feel their scorn.

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

4deb6c160b29c_image.jpg - 75192 Bytes
« Reply #398 on: Jun 7th, 2011, 10:52pm »

Artifacts or Eyesore?

PEMBERTON TOWNSHIP — It’s been more than 50 years since a train left the North Pemberton Railroad Station.

But there’s been plenty of incoming traffic over the last decade, much to the chagrin of the township’s mayor, who has ordered the Pemberton Historic Trust to remove its fleet of nearly a dozen retired train cars and engines from the outside of the station as well as its interior displays of local history and railroad artifacts.

They have until the end of Sunday to comply with the eviction.

At issue is the fleet of train cars, which the trust and its former president, Mike Tamn, have acquired over the last 11 years for display outside the township-owned station, home to a local history museum and gift shop operated by the trust.

Tamn considers the vehicles, many of them rusty and in disrepair, historic artifacts that should be preserved and displayed.

Other residents, including Mayor David Patriarca, consider them eyesores that make the station exterior appear more akin to a junkyard than a tourist destination.

The two opinions clashed last month when Tamn’s latest acquisition — a 100-ton 1930s engine — arrived at the station from the former Roebling Steel plant in Florence.

Patriarca claims the addition violated a municipal order that the trust stop moving vehicles to the property and necessitated the township ending its agreement allowing the organization operate on-site.

“We told them that we did not want any other trains being brought in or we would have issues,” Patriarca said Thursday. “We made it clear that we didn’t want anything else on the property and (that) they have no authority to bring in new items.”

Tamn doesn’t deny that he arranged for the train’s delivery, but he stressed its historic value. Furthermore, he said he and other members of the trust negotiated an agreement with Township Manager Christopher Vaz on Wednesday that would permit the trust to remain in the station if he temporarily stepped down as president.

“If I stepped down, that would be it; everything would be able to remain as is,” said Tamn, adding that he officially vacated the office of trust president Thursday. “That was the agreement. If (Patriarca) changes it, then I guess we’ll have to call our attorneys to deal with it. But that’s something we hoped to avoid.”

He said the trust has operated its museum in the train station for more than 11 years. It is typically open Wednesday to Sunday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and is filled with regional historical artifacts related to the railroad, cranberry and blueberry industries as well as the Pinelands.

Patriarca denied that any agreement was reached. He said that it was suggested that Tamn should step down, but that current conditions prohibit the trust from remaining.

“They have shown they are not going to comply with the township,” the mayor said. “It’s not done out of spite. There is no reason to have any issue with the trust other than them posing a liability to the township. There are environmental issues and a potential for injury there. There is also a perception that they are allowing a junkyard to exist there. We have been trying to get them to restore these trains, but we have seen little or no progress.”

Tamn said that significant work has already been done to restore the trains and that more work was planned. He also said the trust helps maintain the station and the adjacent rails-to-trails path, which is also township-owned, at least for now.

The station and 1¾-mile path are expected to join the county’s parks system as part of a 2009 land-swap agreement between the township and Burlington County Board of Freeholders.

Under the agreement, the county would take possession of the train station and path in return for 11 acres of vacant land on Pemberton-Browns Mills Road between the county’s Buttonwood Hospital and municipal building.

The deal is expected to be finalized after the township completes about $339,000 in repairs and renovations to the station, including a new wooden platform around the building, a parking lot and a handicapped ramp. The work is being funded with a U.S. Department of Transportation Enhancement Program grant.

Tamn said that the work is nearly completed and that the trust is looking forward to continuing operations under the county parks system. He said he expected the trust’s exhibits and train cars would remain.

“I think it would be quite an asset for them,” Tamn said. “Hopefully, when the county takes it, we’ll be able to put down some good track and move up the cars so that people will be able to see them better.”

Trust volunteer Gary Ellis said he believes the county will want to keep the rail cars on-site.

“I think the county would love it,” Ellis said Friday at the station. “It might take a little money to get it more appreciable, but I think they will like it.”

County spokesman Ralph Shrom said that the county was not involved with any dispute between the trust and township, but that it planned to inspect the site before taking possession.

“We’re going to take a look at what’s on-site now, because obviously once we take control of the site, we’d be responsible for it,” Shrom said.

What happens next? No one seems to know for sure, although it appears unlikely that the trust will be able to move the train cars anytime soon.

“There’s no way we can move 600 tons of property in one weekend,” Tamn said. “Some of those trains took five to eight months to move.”

Patriarca said no decision has been made about what will happen if the trains remain past Sunday’s deadline.

“That is yet to be determined. I believe it becomes abandoned property and the township will have to figure out how to deal with it,” he said.

Councilwoman Sherry Scull, a longtime trust member, said that she hopes cooler heads somehow prevail and that the trust is permitted to remain.

“The trust is important to the township, so I would hope that we can put personalities aside and reach an agreement for the betterment of the community,” Scull said.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/4deb6c160b29c_image.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2011, 10:56pm by Eddie M. » Logged

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #399 on: Jun 7th, 2011, 11:10pm »

well that's super fantastic.  I really hope this stuff doesn't end up scrapped where it is.  

I can see the issued that the township has though, because much of the equipment there  IS all rusty and it doesn't necessarily look good to non rail fans.    

At the very least,  I think some of this stuff should get a new coat of paint (work i'm totally willing to do, and this summer is looking fairly open for me).

I imagine scrubbing away the rust (at least on the outside) would go a long way towards changing public opinion.  

What is going to happen now, though?   how threatened is the museum?  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »