Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 11:40am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pemberton Township Historic Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   Pemberton Township Historic Trust
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pemberton Township Historic Trust  (Read 14071 times)
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Pemberton Township Historic Trust

« Reply #360 on: Dec 7th, 2009, 9:10am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Well, we were rained out Saturday but made up for it on Sunday. The weather was absolultely georgous! The turn out was good as we had two wagons running. Before Wawa, we would turn in the parking area next to the street. Then we turned in the street. But this year we cleaned out the old rail yard and that gave us access to turn through there. Not only did we have extra room this year, the area really looks good now with all of the weeds and trees gone. We even got compliments from the Wawa folks!

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #361 on: Dec 17th, 2009, 11:57am »

OK. Why did we clean out the old rail yard, you ask? Well, as I stated, we needed the room to turn the wagons but that was a secondary reason. The primary reason is we are getting ready to receive a boxcar on Monday the 21st.

I asked for a boxcar on many RR sites and we got a few responses but the closest one is in Pa. above Reading. It is a fully restored Rock Island PS-1. The PS-1 was used by many railroads so if we do decide to letter it in PRR it won't be a stretch.

But here is why I am posting this. We need help starting around 2:00 pm on Monday to move some timbers from under the NX23 out to the street to build a ramp so the lowboy can get over the curbing that was installed when they built the Wawa. We will load them into my pickup and the drive them out to the street and unload them. So if you are available, we sure could use some young bodies. Thanks.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #362 on: Dec 18th, 2009, 12:54am »

I might actually be able to help with this one!  My last final is monday night at 7,  so i'll definitely make an effort to go!

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #363 on: Dec 18th, 2009, 9:13am »

Thanks. And we will be back at it early Tuesday morning unloading the boxcar and then putting all of the tools and materials away. And of course touring the new car.

I have seen the car a few times and it is in fantastic shape. Looks like it just cam off of the factory floor.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #364 on: Dec 20th, 2009, 8:22pm »

are we still up for tommorow?  i'm not sure what time you want me to show up, but i know i'm still snowed in a tiny bit (gonna have to dig the car out this morning).  

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #365 on: Dec 22nd, 2009, 6:08pm »

Did the boxcar arrive Ed.    I would understand if it didn't considering the 24 inches of snow.

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #366 on: Dec 22nd, 2009, 8:18pm »

Oh, it arrived.  I've got a ton of photos and videos, but i've gotta upload that, and i'll do that sometime tommorow.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #367 on: Dec 23rd, 2009, 5:31pm »

Yes it did! And Chris, and Jenn, were a big help both days. I forgot my camera again but as Chris said, he didn't.

For those of you out there that read but do not post, here is what we have. Several months ago I posted a request for a boxcar and got one reply (but that's all we needed.) It seemed that a gentleman up in Cressona Pa, had a 1959 PS-1, Rock Island car that he fully restored. He had it (and his passenger car) stored with many other private cars, mostly cabooses, on a siding owned by the Reading Northern. They were told they needed to vacate the premises by November 31st. He knew a guy who knew a guy who read my post and they hooked us up. I went up to look at the car back in September and again in November to remove all of the brake hardware hanging below the bottom of the sill so it would fit on the lowboy for hauling. We contracted a machinery mover who subcontracted the hauler and on the 21st, they picked the car up and delivered it that evening. The mover showed up at 7:00 AM Tuesdayand had the task done by 5:00 PM. It would have been done sooner but mud delayed the work by four hours. But she is on her trucks and except for a little salt spray from the roads, she looks good. She is the crown jewel in the collection. So if you are in the area, stop by 3 Fort Dix Road in Pemberton Township, NJ and check her and the rest of our collection out. And if the museum is open, stop in and look around. We have a great selection of railroad books. And don't be afraid to stuff money into the can or jar. These moves cost money, lots of money.

Later!
Mr. Ed

« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2009, 10:28am by Mr._Ed » Logged
green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #368 on: Dec 24th, 2009, 12:42am »

Here are some pictures,  I'm going to try and edit a little video together and put it on youtube sometime this week.  

A Bald Eagle was checking out the commotion  

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #369 on: Dec 24th, 2009, 12:50am »

some more pictures i dug up!

Jenny pushes the N5C to make room for the boxcar

Discussing plans

guiding the boxcar onto the truck pins

« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2009, 1:19am by green_elite_cab » Logged

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #370 on: Dec 24th, 2009, 10:13am »

Thanks for the photos Chris. Maybe I'll remember my camera one day.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #371 on: Dec 26th, 2009, 4:15pm »

Great to see that it all went off without a hitch.  Nice pictures Chris!

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #372 on: Jan 24th, 2010, 10:52am »

Yesterday, the section gang, Mark, Tom, Karl and myself, straightened the track under the boxcar. We noticed last week that the last stick was pulled away from the platform about a foot and there was a pile of crushed stone on one of the ties. So how does a section of track get moved and a small pile of crushed stone wind up on the tracks? Your guess would be as good as mine. Now this track movement  happened beore the boxcar arrived because there is no way you are going to move the track with th car sitting on it. So it happened in the snow. Any guesses?

We also did some more re-arranging in the boxcar and section house trying to make more room to work in both. We want to work on the N5c to get it weatherproof so we can begin working inside to get it restored. Come spring we will paint the outside with good paint this time.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

Picture_249.jpg - 68799 Bytes
« Reply #373 on: Jan 30th, 2010, 6:00pm »

A little further up the track, this is what's happening in Mount Holly.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/Picture_249.jpg
Click Image to Resize

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #374 on: Jan 30th, 2010, 11:41pm »

I saw this, my Sister works at that Cosmo's restaurant.  I was wondering what they heavy equipment was about, but now i see they have new track work going in.

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

Picture_269.jpg - 337383 Bytes
« Reply #375 on: Feb 3rd, 2010, 3:32pm »

Nothing has been going on now for over a week Chris.  I have no idea why?  
  My wife and I go into Cosmo's a lot.  Which waitress is your sister?

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (337383 bytes, 1600x1200 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Picture_269.jpg - 337383 Bytes

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #376 on: Mar 21st, 2010, 10:06am »

Yesterday we had an historic wagon ride tour of the facility in conjunction with the college Pinelands courses. We had about 15 folks take the two hour tour of the facility and all of the history that remains at our place.

Then our usual cadre of volunteers went to work in the CNJ caboose in an attempt to seal the windows that fell out. We also removed the two toilets that were installed in one end when it was at Kirby's mill. The walls that enclosed these will also be removed so it looks like a caboose once again.The inside is in relatively good shape and we plan to keep it that way.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #377 on: Mar 21st, 2010, 10:15am »

sounds cool!

have any of you seen "Pennsy Glory volume 1"? There is about 5 minutes of 1950s videos of Pemberton.   It Features an E6 Atlantic going this way and that, pulling a passenger train.  It doesn't have anywhere else on the line, but It is pretty cool.

the DVD pretty much follows the PRR from the Long Island RR all the way to Enola.  The Pemberton part is towards the middle.  

Chris

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #378 on: Mar 21st, 2010, 10:16am »

on Feb 3rd, 2010, 3:32pm, Eddie M. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Nothing has been going on now for over a week Chris.  I have no idea why?  
            My wife and I go into Cosmo's a lot.  Which waitress is your sister?

Kayla would be my sister.  

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #379 on: Mar 22nd, 2010, 2:09pm »

Chris, I've never seen that video. Do you know where I can get a copy?

Later!
Mr. Ed

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »