Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 17th, 2017, 3:46am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pemberton Township Historic Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   Pemberton Township Historic Trust
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pemberton Township Historic Trust  (Read 14031 times)
Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Pemberton Township Historic Trust

« Reply #320 on: Jul 17th, 2009, 11:49am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Great work you fellas are accomplishing.

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #321 on: Jul 19th, 2009, 10:17am »

We finished digging out the pit yesterday. It is 40' long, 4' wide and 26" deep at the ends. We then began digging around the outside edges to give the mason room to work when he relays the top courses of brick. Then we will grade the land back to the turntable and lay track to the table and one stick past the pit. I didn't bring my camera. Maybe if I am up that way this week, I'll stop by and take some photos.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #322 on: Jul 19th, 2009, 3:23pm »

Hey, did you guys check out a site called http://www.historicaerials.com ?

they have aerial photos of pemberton for the years 1931, 1940, 1956, 1963, 1970, 1995, and 2006.   I figure these might help you find some of those missing buildings, or otherwise spot stuff buried in the dirt, though the 1931 images are grainy,

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #323 on: Jul 21st, 2009, 11:08am »

Yes, I have. They didn't show anything. It was disappionting since I figured for sure thay would show a lot. Thanks for the tip anyway.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #324 on: Jul 26th, 2009, 10:28am »

Yesterday we began digging for the doodlebug engine house. While I was digging around the outside of the ash pit wall to make room for the mason to rebuild the wall, Mike scraped the area where the engine house was. After a few trips back and forth, he unearthed spike heads. I dug around and found about a dozen spikes still in the ties with the tie plates still there. When the railroad tore up a line, they would loosen the spikes and slide the rail out then cover it all with dirt. But these ties do not aim at the center of the turntable like the ash pit does. So what we uncovered was the freight siding that was put in to service the factory after the turntable was removed. These ties are on top of the engine house foundation. So we will most likely have to tear these up to continue the excavation for the engine house.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #325 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 12:03am »

on Jul 26th, 2009, 10:28am, Mr._Ed wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yesterday we began digging for the doodlebug engine house. While I was digging around the outside of the ash pit wall to make room for the mason to rebuild the wall, Mike scraped the area where the engine house was. After a few trips back and forth, he unearthed spike heads. I dug around and found about a dozen spikes still in the ties with the tie plates still there. When the railroad tore up a line, they would loosen the spikes and slide the rail out then cover it all with dirt. But these ties do not aim at the center of the turntable like the ash pit [/size]does. So what we uncovered was the freight siding that was put in to service the factory after the turntable was removed. These ties are on top of the engine house foundation. So we will most likely have to tear these up to continue the excavation for the engine house.

Later!
Mr. Ed

[size=5]So would it be safe to say, that since this freight siding was installed over the turntable pit, you'll also have to dig out a sizeable amount of stone or brick that was most likely used to fill it all in?
When is your next work day Ed?

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2009, 12:05am by Eddie M. » Logged

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #326 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 10:00am »

If you mean the turntable pit, you are correct. But that won't happen any time soon. An open pit is trouble. So we would have to erect a fenc around it to keep the strays from falling in.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #327 on: Aug 2nd, 2009, 3:54pm »

I was out on the grounds Friday afternoon around 1:00pm.  I inspected all of the work done so far.  Unfortuntely, you weren't out there Ed.
As I see you have quite a sizable collection of rail ties as well and rail.
I like the "whistle" sign down the trail.

« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2009, 3:55pm by Eddie M. » Logged

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #328 on: Aug 3rd, 2009, 1:57pm »

We have 1700' (3500' of rail) of track with ties and accessories that we hope to get down this year.  

Saturday we scraped some more to attempt to find the doodlebug engine house foundation. But it is under the ties that held the freight track they put in after they tore out the turntable. So until we find the foundation, we will not pull up the ties from that siding. The foundation may be gone.

Later!
Mr. Ed

69boss429
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #329 on: Aug 8th, 2009, 2:32pm »

do you guys have electricity?i wouldnt mind helping out on saturdays before or after work depending on what shift im on that day.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #330 on: Aug 9th, 2009, 10:23am »

Yes, we do. But to clarify, we have electricity at the station and a heavy extension cord on a hose reel that we run out. We used to have power in the section house but someone pulled up the wire for scrap. We have grant money to revamp the facility and one of the things in there is three phase power to the section house.

And since I am a car buff, do you really have a '69 Boss 429?

Later!
Mr. Ed

69boss429
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #331 on: Aug 14th, 2009, 1:37pm »

no i dont, i wish i did though

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #332 on: Aug 16th, 2009, 10:07am »

We just did a little straightening up yesterday since we were short on time.

We will need to put down a stick of track in the next weekor two for a new arrival. Watch this board for details or better still, watch for the work session and come out and help us lay the stick. We have a tractor for the heavy lifting and we also have a pnuematic jackhammer for driving the spikes But if you want to try your prowess at a spike hammer, we have a few of those too.  

Now for those of you who are not available on Saturdays, we will be needing help here real soon to load out the new arrival so watch the board for that too.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #333 on: Aug 18th, 2009, 12:58pm »

on Aug 16th, 2009, 10:07am, Mr._Ed wrote:       (Click here for original message)
We just did a little straightening up yesterday since we were short on time.

We will need to put down a stick of track in the next weekor two for a new arrival. Watch this board for details or better still, watch for the work session and come out and help us lay the stick. We have a tractor for the heavy lifting and we also have a pnuematic jackhammer for driving the spikes But if you want to try your prowess at a spike hammer, we have a few of those too.  

Now for those of you who are not available on Saturdays, we will be needing help here real soon to load out the new arrival so watch the board for that too.

Later!
Mr. Ed

How about if it rains or drizzles Ed?  Would it stll be a go?

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #334 on: Aug 18th, 2009, 9:52pm »

on Aug 18th, 2009, 12:58pm, Eddie M. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

How about if it rains or drizzles Ed?  Would it stll be a go?

Break out the rain gear!

Well, if its during the week, i'm totally free except mid-day tommorow.  still can't do saturdays.  

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #335 on: Aug 19th, 2009, 2:58pm »

Drizzle is just a nuisance. Only a downpour would hinder the work.  

I say we have to lay the stick but I haven't heard anything official yet. It will probably be one of those deals where we find out one day that we need to pick up the new arrival the next day.

I'll let you know the schedule.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #336 on: Aug 21st, 2009, 1:09pm »

on Aug 19th, 2009, 2:58pm, Mr._Ed wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Drizzle is just a nuisance. Only a downpour would hinder the work.  

I say we have to lay the stick but I haven't heard anything official yet. It will probably be one of those deals where we find out one day that we need to pick up the new arrival the next day.

I'll let you know the schedule.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eye,eye captain.

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #337 on: Sep 12th, 2009, 12:28am »

I went down with my wife, to the site on Saturday afternoon 9/5.  I walked the old row again and took note of the old semaphore about a half mile down.
I again noticed nobody around.

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2009, 12:28am by Eddie M. » Logged

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #338 on: Sep 14th, 2009, 12:23am »

on Sep 12th, 2009, 12:28am, Eddie M. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I went with my wife,down to the site on Saturday afternoon 9/5.  I walked the old row again and took note of the old semaphore about a half mile down.
I again noticed nobody around.

I with my friend Jim, went down yesterday afternoon again to find nobody around.   UUGGGHHH!

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2009, 12:30am by Eddie M. » Logged

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #339 on: Sep 15th, 2009, 4:23pm »

That semaphore had been buried in the underbrush for years. Also down the trail on left, way back in the woods, are three granite blocks that used to hold the water tanks that they watered the locos from. It is really amazing how much railroad activity went on at that facility from the turn of the century to the early '30s.

I didn't show up Saturday since it was raining. And when I do go, it is early in the day and I am usually gone by noon or one. Since most of the work is done while standing, I am only good for three or four hours any more.

Now if you are coming out to volunteer, let me know and we will make arrangements.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »