Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 23rd, 2017, 1:44pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pemberton Township Historic Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   Pemberton Township Historic Trust
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pemberton Township Historic Trust  (Read 13981 times)
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Pemberton Township Historic Trust

« Reply #300 on: May 30th, 2009, 3:28pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Today Mike and I began the process of unearthing the ash pit that was built in the early 1860s and filled and covered in the early 1930s. The walls are all there but in a few places there are two and three courses of brick missing. We uncovered about 30' of it today but I just can't physically put as much time in as I once did. Next Saturday we will hopefully get the right side uncovered and start on the left side. Then we can dig out the pit and begin rebuilding the walls. The plan then is to lay track from the turntable to the end of the ash pit. This is visible from the Wawa parking lot. Today we had several people say hi and ask what we were doing. So if any one wants to get dirty and fling some dirt, meet us there next Saturday around 9:00 AM. I will post some pictures when they send me what they took today. Next week I hope to take my camera.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

AllTourist/Ash_pit_1.jpg (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« Reply #301 on: Jun 2nd, 2009, 2:38pm »

I took my camera to the station for our monthly meeting and took the following photos. This one is looking toward the turntable pit with the tank off to the right.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

AllTourist/Ash_pit_2.jpg (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« Reply #302 on: Jun 2nd, 2009, 2:41pm »

This one is from the same location. If you look up to the left of the tank, you can see a white stake with a white flag. That marks the center point of the turntable where the pivot probably sits buried.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Ash_pit_4.jpg - 96972 Bytes
« Reply #303 on: Jun 2nd, 2009, 2:43pm »

This one shows the front right corner which is where we started. We worked back toward the turntable pit from here. Saturday we will probaly finish the right side, then we will start here and work toward the left.

This shows the top course and a stud sticking out of it. The stud was probably 10-12 inches long and went through a tie then had a nut and washers put on top to hold the ties from moving. In between each tie, brick was mortared together in an 8" x 8" stack that would keep the ties from shifting front to rear. We have to add up to three courses in some locations.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/Ash_pit_4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2009, 2:53pm by Mr._Ed » Logged
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Ash_pit_5.jpg - 77477 Bytes
« Reply #304 on: Jun 2nd, 2009, 2:50pm »

Last but not least, this view is from the center point (the white flag on the stake) of the turntable pit looking towards the ash pit. We plan to finish excavating the pit then lay rail from the turntable wall to the end of the ash pit, just like it was way back in the 1800s. To the left of the ash pit is where the doodlebug engine house was located. That foundation will be excavated next. I can't tell you the gratification you get when finding these relics. I missed my calling. I should have been an archeologist.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/Ash_pit_5.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #305 on: Jun 2nd, 2009, 6:42pm »

Good job. No telling what you might find if you keep digging around.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #306 on: Jun 2nd, 2009, 8:52pm »

I wish I didn't have to work on Saturdays, I'd love to help out!

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #307 on: Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:59am »

Mike has been known to work there during the week. Give him a call and see if he is going to be around. 609-894-0546 is the number at the station. If the museum is closed, just leave a message.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #308 on: Jun 7th, 2009, 10:42am »

Whoops! Forget the camera again!

But we got about 14' of the pit cleaned out. The bottom is brick and in great shape. The pit is about two feet deep and three feet wide. We had a new volunteer from the SJ Rail board come out and give us a big hand. Thanks, Tom! We found a few intact bottles in the fill that we will clean up and put on display in the museum. Next week we hope to have the backhoe fixed so we can really tear it up! Yea, we are digging by hand. Pictures next week, I promise!

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Ash_pit_3.jpg - 69752 Bytes
« Reply #309 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 10:30am »

Last Sunday night, a few of the locaal volunteers dug out another 4 or 5 feet by just slinging the dirt to the side. They unearthed a caboose toilet with the flapper valve still in tact.

Yesterday Tom and I dug out another 6-8 feet. I have posted pictures of what it looked like before we started. I ddn't get pictures of what it looked like after we were done because we were rushing to get everything putaway before the skies opened up.

In this picture, you can see the remnants of the studs sticking up out of the wall. You can also see the way the ties were laid into the brick work of the wall. The way they did it was to lay a ties then build a small 8" tall wall of brick then lay another tie until they had them lining the entire pit. You can see the bottom layer of mortar still intact.

Later!
Mr. Ed

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/Ash_pit_3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Ash_pit_7.jpg - 87457 Bytes
« Reply #310 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 10:47am »

The water filled pit looking toward the turntable. That's Chris' caboose on the left and the 1800s Alladdin Oil tank on the right.

Later!
Mr. Ed

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/Ash_pit_7.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Ash_pit_6.jpg - 93948 Bytes
« Reply #311 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 10:49am »

Looking toward Wawa.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/Ash_pit_6.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #312 on: Jun 23rd, 2009, 1:03pm »

I'd be remiss not to say great work by you and your team Ed.
Since we've had the soggiest June on recent record, have you made any progress since your last posting?

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #313 on: Jun 24th, 2009, 10:22am »

No. we took last weekend off. I don't know if Mike and I will attempt to dig any out this weekend or not. I am hoping that the backhoe gets fixed real soon. This digging is killing me. I am too old for this much manual labor.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Ash_pit_7-11-09a.jpg - 80800 Bytes
« Reply #314 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 11:07am »

We are near the end now! A new volunteer, Mike, came out yesterday and gave us a big hand. Thanks Mike. We dug out another 6-7 feet and last Sunday night a few of the local guys dug out 4-6 feet and uncovered the drain in the wall near the floor. We figure we have another four feet until the end. Then we will excavate around the pit so we can rebuild the missing section of the wall and then we will put down ties and rail back to the edge of the turntable pit.  

We could still use a few young guys to help us old guys with the heavy lifting.

Here is a picture of the drain with bricks covering it to keep any dirt from running in there if it rains.

Later!
Mr. Ed

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/Ash_pit_7-11-09a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Ash_pit_7-11-09b.jpg - 89359 Bytes
« Reply #315 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 11:08am »

From one end....

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/Ash_pit_7-11-09b.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Ash_pit_7-11-09c.jpg - 78673 Bytes
« Reply #316 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 11:09am »

....and the other end.

Later!
Mr. Ed

P.S. If you want to help, we start around 9:00 on Saturday. It takes me an hour to get there.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/Ash_pit_7-11-09c.jpg
Click Image to Resize

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #317 on: Jul 12th, 2009, 11:15pm »

I wish you guys didn't work saturday, for that is the one day of the week i am unavailable.  Are there any other days that things get done?

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #318 on: Jul 13th, 2009, 8:58am »

Mike is there many days during the week. If you still have his phone number, give him a call. As a matter of fact, we might be moving the old oil tank to it's pad on Thursday. I say might because it depends on whether or not the crane company finishes their other job on time.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #319 on: Jul 16th, 2009, 2:04pm »

Well, the crane company that was supposed to move the oil tank today never showed. And this after telling us they would be there today.  

So while I waited for them to arrive, I dug near the end of the ash pit and found the end wall. So one more day of digging and we will have dug it all out. And I noticed that the rain of the other day that ran into the pit drained very nicely out the wall drain. I spoke with Mike and he has a mason lined up to repair the wall so we can lay ties and track. The drawings show that the track went about thirty feet past the end of the pit. So if they had two engines to service, they could run the one over the pit then run him out the end and run the second one over rather than run out the first, then take him back to the table and rotate him, etc. Very time saving indeed. So if we dig on Saturday, I'll take pictures and post them.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »