Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 23rd, 2017, 1:40pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pemberton Township Historic Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   Pemberton Township Historic Trust
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pemberton Township Historic Trust  (Read 13978 times)
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Pemberton Township Historic Trust

« Reply #280 on: Dec 8th, 2008, 9:47am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Our hayride was a huge success even though the wagon did not have any hay on it. We could have used a second tractor so we could have used out second trailer but we couldn't borrow one so we ran the one continously. We replaced the small coal stove in the section house with a bigger stove for Sunday and it made a huge difference. Suprisingly, Sunday was very busy despite the weather.  

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #281 on: Apr 3rd, 2009, 12:16pm »

For those of you that do not know this, Wawa did in fact donate the old rail yard to us. Thank you Wawa. We have been cleaning out the trees and overgrowth that has clogged the area. We could always use help. So if your in the area on Saturday the 4th, stop by and bring your gloves. We are hoping to begin excavation this weekend to find the remains of the rumored two or three stall roundhouse. We are located at 3 Fort Dix Rd in Pemberton Township NJ. We also have plenty of kindling available if you want it. Most of the firewood is gone but there is plenty of kindling and small branches.

We have found the turntable pit, ash pit, and the foundation from the doodlebug engine house. We also found a rain trough that carried the rain water off of the property back to the creek. What we have found is in fine shape. Also unearthed are the footings for the freight house which we will rebuild someday.  

We also have plenty of rolling stock that needs to be cleaned, primed and painted. Stop by and adopt-a-project. So if you want to play with trains, come on by. I arrive at 9:00 since it is an hour drive for me.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #282 on: Apr 3rd, 2009, 4:13pm »

Cool! I think i found the turntable ring when i was out working on the caboose. I had pictures, but my computer needs a new power pack (the pictures should be fine, computer just needs power. I better back them up once i get the computer running again)

usually i work on saturdays, but i haven't been around in a while (I stopped by once after the wawa was built on my way home from BCC, but nobody was around. Its good to see the caboose is painted red!), so i'll see if i can't show up.

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #283 on: Apr 3rd, 2009, 5:30pm »

About time we heard something good!

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #284 on: Apr 7th, 2009, 9:24am »

Chris, the caboose was supposed to be a semi-gloss red. Sadly it had turned into looking like a red primer. We will repaint it with the same paint on the CNJ caboose in the back.

We cleaned the donated machinery on Saturday since the weather was iffy. The section house is now officially full! It will empty out a bit after we build the watch box and place it across the street where it once stood. I did get out to the back yard and pickup blue styrofoam that is all over the place. I will probaly go up Saturday and cut up the small trees so they can be moved out of the way. If I have the time after that I'll rake the area to get an idea of what we have to dig through to find the engine house foundation. We do know that after the turntable was removed, they laid another siding that cut across the edge of the turntable so those ties have to be removed before we can dig.

During the members meeting (yea, anybody can be a member) last night, we covered the stuff we want to do including painting the section house, unearthing the foundation, finishing the paint on the N5C, removing the fence in the back, then there is always the usual ground work that is required as the weather warms up. But there are those projects that will always be there, the Tidewater tank car, the gondola, hopper and flat car, the N6B, finishing the CNJ caboose in the back, etc. It never ends.

So if you want to help out, I'll let you know here when we will be working.

Later!
Mr. Ed

« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2009, 9:27am by Mr._Ed » Logged
green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #285 on: Apr 7th, 2009, 11:28am »

As long as i know atleast two weeks ahead of time if you need volunteers, i'll try to come down.  Saturdays i'm almost always working, so its hard to show up on those days.  Almost any other day of the week, i'm available after noon, except thursdays.  

I'll have to help finish painting that caboose.  I wasn't satisfied leaving it in the primer, lol.

Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #286 on: Apr 7th, 2009, 12:00pm »

I'm available most weekdays.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #287 on: Apr 9th, 2009, 9:09am »

Chris and Andy, thanks for the offer of help. And yes we do need help during the week. Mike works down there a lot and we have a few people that are also available during the week. Contact me in a PM with your phone numbers and I'll pass them along to Mike so when he is down there he can contact you guys.  

Thanks again!

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #288 on: Apr 9th, 2009, 4:09pm »

I was just there today and he gave me his number (again, i know i have it somewhere with my eagle stuff).    

Mr. Tamn gave me a tour of what was new, and I have to say i'm impressed.  It seems like the museum is going places despite the Wawa problems, and its good to know the land is owned to allow the turntable and other related structures to be built.  

I will say however, that the section house is ALOT more open than when i was doing the eagle project, lol.  The new machinery is impressive, i like the hydraulic press, it looks alot like a bigger newer version of the one i use at my job.  

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #289 on: Apr 11th, 2009, 10:20am »

We worked in the section house the past two Saturdays cleaning the equipment and generally straightening the place out. And I too was surprised how much room there is in there now even though we brought in all of that equipment. Then someone stole the wire out of the ground that ran to the section house. So now we have to run out extension cords if we want to see what we are doing. We ar elooking forward to getting electricity run in there so we can just throw a switch to get lights. I'll probably go up there Sunday next week since I have something to do on Saturday.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Pemberton Township Historic Trust-Oil house found!

« Reply #290 on: Apr 20th, 2009, 9:56am »

On Sunday, Mike and I continued to clean out the rear yard so we could begin to dig for the foundation of the rumored engine house that may or may not have resided back there. We have no proof that it existed other than they had them at other NJ yards.

We are working on the area that has the drain trough running through it. We have found this trough up front where it is buried but back here, it is above the surface. So we see the curb that is the trough and above it is another curb looking hunk of concrete about eigh feet long. Now we surmise that it is some kind of foundation but what for, we have no idea since again there are no photos of this part of the yard. So we are getting ready to pull the stump that sits next to this curb. Mike starts to pull and the thing comes up very easily and in the shape of the foundation with very crisp edges. We go over to see why and then we discover that thers is a concrete floor under there. So we pull the stump away and Mike clears out the surrounding underbrush and there sits a beautiful, flat, floor! Now the curbing is clearly seen to be the side of the foundation which supported one wall. The other three walls are gone and it looks like the floor was chopped off to shorten the floor. The cut section corresponds with the fence line so we are figuring that when the RR sold that section of the yard to the oil company, the building was sticking out onto the property so they just chopped it off since the engine house and oil house were long gone.

So what did we find? The oil house! Mike is sure that is what it is since they were built near the engine house and the floor had a trough cut around the edge for drainage and this floor has such a trough. Now we are positive that there is an engine house foundation back there. While Mike was scrapping the ground I started digging and I came up with several huge hunks of concrete buried in a line that runs parallel to the drainage trough. One even has a bolt sticking out of it. A tree has grwon around it but we can get hat out to see what it is. I believe we have found the fopundation to the old engine house. We will now concentrate on excavating the site to see if we can find the rest of the foundation. The only problem is that when the laid the track that skirted the turntable, they may have removed some parts of the foundation.

More as it happens.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #291 on: Apr 20th, 2009, 11:59am »

Great work, guys!

Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #292 on: Apr 20th, 2009, 8:20pm »

I was out in the rain at 6:45 this evening looking at the results of your work when I recalled that there was a track diagram for the area.  It is on this thread, Reply 48, but that diagram doesn't show what you uncovered, especially the turntable.  Is there another track plan somewhere else?

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #293 on: Apr 24th, 2009, 4:04pm »

The drawing in reply 48 is from a time after the turntable was removed. The engine house was gone long before that. We haven't located a drawing showing anything before the posted one. The historic aerial photos from 1938 is so fuzzy, you can't tell anything from it. we also know that there was a small yard at the junction between us and Birmingham but there is no proof of that today.

I didn't realize it had been five days since I was on here. I have been really busy this week!

Later!
Mr. Ed

Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #294 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 9:35am »

I hope this works; from the IntNews

Local

Courier Times

The Intelligencer

Burlington County Times

Local News

Local Sports

myBCTnow.com

Obituaries

Opinion

Blogs

Customer Service

Advertise

Public Notices

Local Sports

Obituaries

Local Business

Pennsylvania

New Jersey News

National

World

Sports

Entertainment

Opinions

Information

Multimedia

Tools

Shopping

Account
phillyBurbs.com / News / Local / Burlington County Times / Burlington County Times News
Related News:
Preserve has towering ambition  
Preserve has towering ambition  
More open space preserved in Bucks  
More land preserved in Bucks Pem. Twp. rail station to become open space  
TEXT SIZE  By: MARK ZIMMARO
Burlington County Times
PEMBERTON TOWNSHIP - The township has traded the North Pemberton Railroad Station on Fort Dix Road to the county in exchange for 11 acres of vacant land near the municipal building.  

In an effort to cut down costs to maintain the railroad station museum, the township swapped sites with the county and acquired a parcel on Pemberton-Browns Mills Road between Buttonwood Hospital and the municipal building.  

The county owns the land, but the township Public Works Department maintains it, and the township frequently uses the space for special events with the county's permission.  

The museum will become part of the county's Rails to Trails project, which preserves unused rail corridors by transforming them into recreational trails.  

"We're excited about this land swap, which will provide an important link in the county's greenway along the Rancocas [Creek] while extending our Rails to Trails project," Freeholder Bill Haines said in a news release. "Best of all, we're doing this at no cost to the taxpayers."  

Township Mayor David Patriarca said he believes the county is in the best position to make full use of station site, which is on about 15 acres at Arney's Mount and Fort Dix roads. The museum is leased to the Pemberton Historic Trust, which will continue to operate from the building.  

Advertisement "The cost of maintaining the railroad station is very expensive," Patriarca said. "I brought the idea to [Haines] last year and he liked the idea. They will put it in the county park system and they are better suited to maintain the property."  

Patriarca denied that the township intends to build a firehouse or a new municipal building on the newly acquired land.  

"There has always been a lot of speculation that we were going to build something there if we acquired the land, but we have absolutely no plans in the works," he said. "The township would now have the option to do so, but right now we are just keeping it as open space."  

Before the swap is finalized, the township will finish improvements to the railroad station that are funded from a previous grant. The improvements include period restoration of the museum and outbuildings and a reconfiguration of the parking areas.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #295 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 10:14am »

There was much more info on that site than in the actual article. Probably had to trim the article to fit in the paper. But it is pretty acurate. The only flaw I see is that they haven't started on the improvements yet.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #296 on: Apr 27th, 2009, 11:45pm »

Hey Ed,
     My wife and I were at the station and grounds on Sunday.
While we did our usual look threw the station, I investigated where you guys did your flagging.
    I don't really understand while WAWA put a side walk down toward the station site and running along the fence.
    I also saw that WAWA built up the Window Manufacturer property several feet, I presume to cap the contamination and have unwanted draining into the station property.
    The fellow who is follickly challenged and has a mustache is a very nice fellow and made our visit pleasant.

on Apr 26th, 2009, 10:14am, Mr._Ed wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There was much more info on that site than in the actual article. Probably had to trim the article to fit in the paper. But it is pretty acurate. The only flaw I see is that they haven't started on the improvements yet.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #297 on: Apr 29th, 2009, 9:20am »

Our Sunday volunteer is Phil.

The sidewalk in question is on county property. There is a 20' easement on the Wawa side of the fence. They built up the ground to level it with the street at the north end of the property and to get enough coverage over the tanks. But yes, we do now have a drainage problem. Every time it rains, the trail floods because the hill is supposed to drain to the creek at the back of the property. It remains to be seen if the county will do anything about the drainage issues when they take over.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #298 on: May 10th, 2009, 10:04am »

Yesterday, we were digging around in an attempt to find the footings or foundation from an engine house that may or may not have been on the west side on the turntable. Last week I saw a piece of concrete with a rusted bolt sticking out of it between the base of a small tree. So I dug forward along the concrete drainage trench and found a huge piece of concrete but no bolt. Then I went towards what would have been the back of the house and found another small piece of concrete but again with no bolt. On the ground around the site are three other small 10" x 10" x 10" blocks of concrete, two with bolts, one without. So we dug a trench in line with the middle one out to where the side wall would have been if it was a three stall engine house. Nothing. So we dug a smaller trench down to virgin soils and that continued all the way across to the the trough with no sign of a footing or foundation. So then we were thinking that maybe the ties we are seeing in the ground are from the engine house and not from the track that was laid after the turntable was removed. We uncovered the ends and sighted them and they were straight at the edge of the turntable provoing that they were the track that ran to the factory, not the old engine house. So it is back to square one.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #299 on: May 17th, 2009, 2:24pm »

Yesterday, we hosted a bus tour sponsored by Burlington county. Great group, but sadly, they only had a 30 minute window for us. We split them into four groups and did a bang up job giving them a tour of the railroad side of the property, the trail story, the station history and the area history. They all had nice things to say and many said they would return on their own.

We still are in dire need of volunteers to work on the rolling stock. So anyone out there that wants to help, leave me a PM.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »