Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 11:34am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pemberton Township Historic Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   Pemberton Township Historic Trust
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pemberton Township Historic Trust  (Read 14066 times)
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Pemberton Township Historic Trust

« Reply #260 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 2:59pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Congratulations Chris! I am glad that you have accomplished this prestigious step in Scouting!

And as far as I know, the proposal is for the township to swap the station grounds for the parcel near the township building. The old rail yard is now owned by wawa and has nothing to do with the proposed land swap.  

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #261 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 11:28am »

Wawa's contractor has knocked down the big building and the burned shed on the old rail yard site. The other shed has had it's sides removed. Theye are going to disassemble the building in order to salvage the roof trusses. They will begin breaking up the concrete real soon. They are in for a big surprise when they find out how thick it is. And wait until they find the old ties that are buried under the concrete and many locations throughout the yard.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #262 on: Mar 12th, 2008, 7:46pm »

That is depressing. Hopefully though, something good may come out of it. Perhaps some old pieces of equipment might be found or something. Probably not, but its not a bad idea to wonder about.   I guess you can't stop "progress".  

Chris

Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #263 on: Mar 13th, 2008, 6:31pm »

I passed by  the site last night.  Durn shame.  I could see that the buildings were gone even in the dark.

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #264 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 10:02am »

I guess Mayor Patriarca will do nothing.  New Jersey politics suck!
These people cause more problems with our world, then blame the public for it....

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #265 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 2:49pm »

I am not sure that I care for Patriarca anymore, but I think this deal was done long before he took office.  Then again, as previously stated, he did not intervene to stop WaWa, either.  So my let's-give-council-a-chance hope did not turn out the way we wanted it.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #266 on: Mar 27th, 2008, 9:50am »

If you go back to the beginning of this thread you will see that the deal was done long before this administration took office. The previous administration was the one that did nothing even though they had many e-mail messages protesting the sale of the ground to Wawa. Those messages disappeared. Ain't computers grand? With a single keystroke, messages just disappear.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #267 on: Apr 4th, 2008, 12:33am »

I spoke with Karl just a few hours ago.  We conversed about the WAWA situation.
According to Karl, The museum will be allowed the adjacent property up to where the building was.  The turnatable goes back to the 1850's and will be part of the trust.
  Karl also showed me pictures of the yard switcher.  He said he has just replaced the springs on the front trucks since the were "shot".
  On the political speak, it seems amazing that done deals can sometimes be undone by newer administrations, then can't be undone when it's convenient.
  I know that the prior administration/ representation gave the kudos, however, you see where I'm going... this being New Jersey and all...

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #268 on: Apr 23rd, 2008, 2:50pm »

You have to stop by and see the new paint job on the last caboose in the line. I was up there last Saturday and put the first coat of paint on it. It looks good. Thanks to Chris and his group, I had something solid to paint. Now it is beginning to look like a caboose!

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #269 on: Apr 23rd, 2008, 7:12pm »

THATS AWESOME!  Thank you for letting me work on it! I need to get down there and help out again soon.

Yeah, i'm going to be getting my license by june hopefully.  Right now school is keeping me limited in free time, but i'd love to get out there and help get more stuff completed!

I was actually just wondering about that caboose because someone was asking me about it. Its good to know its turning red again.  

I myself have been working on a model of it, but the underbody is getting tough to recreate.  I heard this kind of caboose in real life was a Boxcar rebuild, so i'm thinking of trying to get an underbody from one of those.  On the model, the underbody isn't recessed behind the panels, so it sticks out some.  

here is an older picture.  Now there is a familiar view!

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2008, 7:17pm by green_elite_cab » Logged

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #270 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 9:23am »

I am by no means an expert but Mike told me he thinks they used old passenger cars for the frame. What I find most fascinating is how narrow the car is. The truck's spring ends stick out past the sides of the car. When I mention the word narrow to anyone about this car, they think narrow gauge even though I don't say narrow gauge.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #271 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 5:42pm »

Yeah, it was tough fitting in there. we almost trapped one of the smaller scouts in the back while we were working in the caboose.  the door getting stuck didn't help any, lol  

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #272 on: Aug 19th, 2008, 9:07am »

After several weeks of preparation for a history tour of our rail facilities, the Pinelands Alliance brought about 45 people on Saturday. We took them down the trail in our wagons and showed them:

The rail yard and the turntable pit. All of the rolling stock and a little history behind each one. The foundation for the old bunk house. The Telegraph shed. Then some things that I didn't even know existed. There is a pole on the right side of the trail that was used for the semaphore signal. On the left are the four granite blocks for the old water tower. What's really strange is that these blocks are back about twenty feet off of the trail and that there was another rail behind these blocks! Then there are two culverts that were built in the 1800s and still functional. Across the creek is a block house foundation before the junction. Farther down the trail is the foundation for the steam pump that pumped water out of the creek for the water tank. Next is another block house foundation followed by the foundation for the Birmingham station. Directly across from the old station is the battery and signal box for the road there.

Future plans are for us to unearth more of the Birmingham station foundation, repair the semaphore pole and put the semaphore back up, clear out more of the tower area, and general trail maintenance. That should keep us busy for the rest of the summer and autumn.  

And remember that if you want to come out and donate time or money, call the station at 609-894-0546. If you like to see a project through to it's completion, we can work that out as well.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #273 on: Aug 19th, 2008, 10:07am »

Yeah, I've been meaning to try and get out there to help out again.  However, this summer has been totally ridiculous for me. i still haven't been able to get a car, and college is starting in less than two weeks (heading to BCC, so i'm not far)! I might stop by once i figure out how my college schedule and help out if i can.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #274 on: Aug 20th, 2008, 2:13pm »

We look forward to seeing you. Keep an eye peeled in the next few weeks. There are some things happening in the near future.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #275 on: Sep 10th, 2008, 2:57pm »

September 27 th is Pemberton Day. We will be open and fully staffed in the museum and on the trail. We will also be having trail rides in our wagon. The ride will be $2.00 for and adult and $1.00 for kids. The trip will go all the way down to Birmingham station and back and we will point out all of the historic points of interest along the way.

Hope to see you there.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #276 on: Sep 14th, 2008, 11:07am »

Mike and his tractor have been very busy this week clearing the trail. For the first time in recent memory, you can actually see the 1/4 marker and bench from the station. He and I pulled out tree stumps yesterday in effort to continue to clear the trail as it once was. While we were cutting roots, we found a lot of ties buried in the dirt. These were the ties from the siding that went back to the oil tanks in the back of the yard.  

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #277 on: Oct 25th, 2008, 11:51pm »

What you wrote Ed does sound exciting.  
Have you guys continued with the row clearing this month?

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #278 on: Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:56am »

Yep! We were up there yesterday taking down the razor wire and barbed wire off of the fence that currently separates us from the Wawa property. We want to clean that general area but couldn't since the wire was hanging down in some places.

What else have you seen up there that wasn't there before?

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #279 on: Dec 1st, 2008, 9:40am »

Our annual hayride is this weekend. Wagons run Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 AM to 3:15 PM. Refreshments are available in the section house as usual. Price is $5.00 for adults and $3.00 for kids. The round trip is about 30-40 minutes depending on how hight the idle is set on the tractor. More info is available at 609-894-0546.

See you then.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »