Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 11:28am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pemberton Township Historic Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   Pemberton Township Historic Trust
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pemberton Township Historic Trust  (Read 14063 times)
green_elite_cab
Historian
Re: Pemberton Township Historic Trust

« Reply #240 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 10:31pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

So i've heard! I was just talking to him today about this weekend, making sure I know what to ask the boys to bring at our meeting tommorow.

I called the Burlington County Council to make sure such a big change was acceptable to the project, and they said it was fine, so I still have the highball for it.  

I was able to start searching for donations and lumber today. the Home Depot new me on 541 in Westampton said they were out of donations until january, and Strober/Haddonfield lumber was closed before i got to them, but the Lowes on Route 38 in Lumberton offered a discount, and thanks to my Uniform, and my mom holding us up trying to find a book for my dad, I bumped into a man who turned out toe be part of the carpentor's union and involved in scouting.  He said he'd see what he could do.

Its a good thing i wore my Uniform, lol, or he wouldn't have asked me about my eagle project!

I might try Haddonfield lumber as soon as i get home tommorow, but I know the rest of the week is going to be bad for trying to get to these lumber yards.  my schedule and my parents schedule are to full of things to do.  

Another tough thing has been trying to find a good fundraiser.  Bake sales and pretzels usually make good fundraisers, but its tough to find places that have thigns open.  I do have an Acme in Westampton open for Black Friday and the next saturday, which means I can raise a whole load of money for you guys that way, but it will be to late to have money that would go into this project.   I've been recomended to go try and set up at Eastampton during sporting events, but i'm not sure how thats going to work out, and i still need to get in contact with them as soon as possible.  

Going back to last saturday, it was pretty cool going down that trail, there was alot of railroad stuff i didn't expect to see, like that semafore signal tower!  

That bridge was also pretty cool.  You could even see some of the old wooden trestle pylons  we went under the end closer to the station to pick up trash, and we found a piece of carpetting sticking out of the dirt.  We started pulling and it turned out to be a HUGE thing of carpeting half buried in the ground with roots growing through it.  It most have been some long gone hobo's bed roll or something.  either way, that was a pain to get rid of. We (by we I mean I)  had to through i up on the roof of my van, which got us covered in dirt.  

I also had a big gas powered weed wacker that the older boys were using.  That thing is in my opinion, alot of fun, but everyone else got shaken up by it! I can't complain though, it made short work of most of the weeds.  Mr. Tamn said there were more he'd like us to take out, but i'm not sure which ones he wants.  I guess i'll have to see this weekend.  

Before i left i picked up a book from the store in the station, the "Pennsy Electric Pictorial", and I had to borrow $20 to get it from my parents, so thats not good!  I'm also going to have to get back to work when this is over, because you guys sell alot of books i'd love to have! its tough to find things about our area. Its a good thing my Grandpa employs me, because atleast i'll still have my job. My grandma every time i see her askes how this eagle stuff is going, and she'd make sure my job is still open, lol.  

It looks like it will be alot of fun this weekend, I can't wait to get to work.  

Chris

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #241 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 10:05am »

Sounds good! See you Saturday.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #242 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 6:37pm »

Here are some pictures of today's work. I think the caboose was more or less left this way since last week

it looks like this is the worst spot, but things should be alright, or atleast thats what i've been told.

Its pretty cool to see what it looks like under all that plywood.  

While the volunteer worked on the caboose, one of the younger scouts scoured the grass with a magnet thing on a stick to pick up dropped nails. Unfortuneately, that was the closest we got to working on the caboose as it was today.  During this time, we were prepping the caboose's new sides with primer. Hopefully, tommorow we can more directly help you guys out with the caboose. I will definitely have more people coming. I know that atleast three people are coming, and i'm awaiting calls from a few others, who will hopefully be available.  

gotta love that NX23.  oneday that thing is going to need some bay windows!

the surprising thing is that this thing is small for a locomotive, but its still huge. its so easy to underestimate the size of these things when i work on my models.

See you guys tommorow!

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #243 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 12:34pm »

Nice pics! And thanks for helping out on this project. It is long overdue!

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #244 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 5:35pm »

thanks! its to bad i wasn't by the caboose alot yesterday to hang out with you guys. today we were removing old nails and scrap wood.  I'll have to post pictures soon.  We did manage to get two of the new primed sheets up after the rest of the scouts left at 2, but I think they are positioned wrong, and are slightly to far to the left by a few inches, than in my pictures of the caboose from before they removed the old wood. I'm sure though that one could just place the battins at the right intervals, and probably just about no one will notice but me.  I'm just not sure if i should says something or not.  If he uses the measurements of the wood he took off, he might not have the wood cut right. If he take measurements straight off the caboose, then they should be right.  When we start on the other side, I will make sure to check to see if it is correct before they start screwing it in.  

Next weekend I might come, but i also need to do a fundraiser soon to get the other half of the wood ( i only have enough of fro 5 out of the 9 sheets i'm expected to buy). Things are further complicated because there is a major scout event going on this weekend, one that ALOT of scouts go to. If they aren't already going to this event, then they likely had something else important to do.  

Mr. Tamn said next weekend might be more work patching up the rotted wood sections, and that i'll only needtwo boys, but i'll see what happens.  

I'll post pictures soon!

Chris

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #245 on: Nov 7th, 2007, 10:23am »

Chris, I hear you guys knocked it out really good on Sunday. Post some pics so we can see what she looks like clothed!

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #246 on: Nov 7th, 2007, 5:41pm »

Oh we did! only the rot spot on the other side remains.  we also need to add  the battens and such on that side. the side facing the train is totally finished.  i'd post picks now, but i'm late for my scout meeting (or alteast, i will be if i don't hurry up!)

Sorry i haven't been online much!

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #247 on: Nov 8th, 2007, 12:39am »

The whole thing is mostly finished.  just as the sun started to fade away, we got the last side totally finished.  Yes, we did cover over the windows, but thats alright.  It was jokeded that they could just paint on an interiror, and put the window frame/metal lattice/ sunshade on, and no one would know the difference.

Yes, the second can of primer was a slight more purple color.  It does look nice though, especially compared to past photos.

The other side still needs it's battens, and two more boards over the rot section.  we left it with the older panels covering it from the elements.  Hopefully by this friday I can get the last boards and battens  up.  

an earlier picture reveals just how much rotted wood was removed.  there is a whole new sister section of wood on the sill, and all of that whitish blue is actually the other side of the metal interior wallin that part of the caboose.  I'm told farther up that tar paper the rot is still pretty bad, but from what i saw when i looked under it, alot of the wood looks fine (definitely the wood i could reach was fine).   I just need new studs so that my new panels can go up, and the caboose will be officially stabilized.

I'm hoping friday i can have it finished, but thursday (8th) alot of people volunteered to go. I have a tour permit, but i better call Mr. Tamn super early, since all plans were for friday.    I think though, other than this rot section, the rest will be easily completed.  

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2007, 12:41am by green_elite_cab » Logged

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #248 on: Nov 8th, 2007, 10:04am »

Looks good! You and your group have done a fantastic job on getting this car stabilized. I spoke with Mike on Monday and we discussed how we could get this up front where it can be appreciated (and worked on to finish it) without too much effort. Now about the NX23.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #249 on: Nov 8th, 2007, 11:26am »

Fine work with you volunteers.  Thanks for sharing the pictures Chris!

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #250 on: Nov 11th, 2007, 10:51pm »

Chris, you and your crew are doing a great job.  I stopped by on Friday around 12:45 for a gander and spoke very briefly with Mike.  You were all pretty busy and I was in-between errands, so I didn't get to introduce myself.

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #251 on: Nov 11th, 2007, 11:24pm »

Thats alright! I was the tall one, lol.  

In any event, here are some pictures of Pemberton's Purple Caboose.  I think that might attract some people!

I can't really express how happy i am that the project turned out the way it did, even though it was entirely different than what it took 6 months to plan for.   Now the caboose will no long rot away, and it will look nice (atleast on the outside), and it won't be a an unnattractive wreck like it was before.

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #252 on: Nov 16th, 2007, 12:39am »

I was finishing up my Eagle packet, doing some of the math. It took 401 man hours and 15 minutes to finish this project.   Thats more or less 16 days worth of work when you combine all the hours it took people to complete this thing, and that was only out of 7 days that i was actually out working or fundraising.  

Thats alot of work!

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #253 on: Nov 16th, 2007, 10:08am »

But look how much was accomplished! People really don't realize how much can be accomplished when you get a group of people together to complete a specific task. If that caboose had been left to be done as the N5C was done (by one person with the funding available) it would probably just be stripped. But through your efforts, we are looking at a preserved piece of history. For that effort, I thank you.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #254 on: Dec 15th, 2007, 4:39pm »

I was speaking with Karl this past Thursday about all the reported progress thanks to all those great volunteers.
       Karl said he was also very happy to see al the progress and he's looking foward to more to come this coming year.
        It seems everytime the Mrs. and I scoot by on a Saturday, very few, if anyone is ever around.

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2007, 4:39pm by Eddie M. » Logged

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #255 on: Dec 17th, 2007, 9:56am »

I have the time, but not the resources to make my way up there. Shame too since there is so much to do.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #256 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 11:10pm »

News:  The mayor of Pemberton Township wants to sell the property north of the station to Burlington County, since they supposedly have more funds to develop it for the Parks system expansion.  I wasn't sure that the twp owns it, and still am not sure that it does.  Anyway, it appears to be a rebuff to WaWa.  'Tis a puzzlement.

Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #257 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 11:12pm »

Here's the articleTOWNSHIP — The mayor hopes to turn over a piece of land that includes the North Pemberton Railroad Station to the county parks system while acquiring a 14-acre parcel near the municipal building from the county.

Mayor David Patriarca said he strongly believes the county is in the best position to make full use of the approximately 15 acre-parcel at Arney's Mount and Fort Dix roads. Patriarca said the county has the money to improve the property, which the township does not.

He foresees North Pemberton station becoming part of the county's Rails-to-Trails system. There is already a cinder trail leading from the station to the Birmingham section of the township.

“What we're proposing is that the county enter that property into the county parks system,” he said yesterday. “Putting it into the county parks system will only enhance that property, which will benefit our residents.”

The mayor is also in negotiations to acquire a vacant L-shaped 14-acre parcel next to the Municipal Building on Pemberton-Browns Mills Road. The county owns the land, but the township Public Works Department performs maintenance there, and the township frequently uses the space with the county's permission.  

Patriarca said he has no specific plans for that land, but wants the parcel in township hands in case future administrations want to build there. He said the Chosen Board of Freeholders could decide to build on that land and the township could do little to stop it.

“If we don't own it, we don't control it,” he said.

The mayor asked the Township Council to support the land deals at Wednesday's meeting. The council instead asked for more information.

Councilman Richard Prickett wanted to know what the mayor plans to do with the 14-acres. He said the mayor has in the past mentioned the possibility of building a new municipal building or firehouse on that land.

“I don't understand why it's so important if he's just going to leave it as open space,” Prickett said yesterday. “I don't object to the trade, I just want make sure we're not acquiring this land to spend millions of dollars on a firehouse . . . or a municipal building that might include a firehouse. If those buildings are part of his plans, I think the public needs to know about it before we go forward.”

“There's no plans or intent to build any municipal building,” Patriarca said. “We're not in any kind of financial position to build any kind of building at this point.”

Prickett supports including the rail station in the county parks system, but doesn't want to see the township setting itself up to spend money developing land.  

“If we're going to be spending money or planning for the future, we need to focus our attention on improving our town center and improving the dams in Country Lakes,” he said.

Patriarca said he would bring up the matter again at the Jan. 23 council meeting.

E-mail: jharris@phillyBurbs.com  

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #258 on: Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:51pm »

I JUST MADE EAGLE SCOUT TONIGHT!, so again, thank you all for your help!

I still need to get thso thank you cards out, and i have to send Mr. Tamn that CD with all my pictures, so i'll make sure i get it out soon.   things have been super busy until lately!

Also, how will the above news effect the Wawa situation?

« Last Edit: Jan 22nd, 2008, 10:52pm by green_elite_cab » Logged

Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #259 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 3:39am »

Very hearty congratulations to you!  Thanks for all your efforts at the museum.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »