Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 20th, 2017, 2:07am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pemberton Township Historic Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   Pemberton Township Historic Trust
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pemberton Township Historic Trust  (Read 13970 times)
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Pemberton Township Historic Trust

« Reply #220 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 10:20am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Stabilization is good! Then when you get a car (or pick-up) you can restore that one completely. My projects are the N5c (the red one on the end) and the N6b (the bare chassis on the other end). When we brought the Tidewater tank car in, Mike wanted that one painted right away. That plan was shelved when the volunteers and paint never materialized.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #221 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 6:11pm »

I just got Mr. Tamn's singature, and so now everything is ready to go to council.  next tuseday they will be looking at it, and hopefully, if it passes, we can begin work very VERY soon. the next meeting i'll have sign-up sheets, and it looks like that the long weekend in October would be the preferable days to start work.  

I wish i had his Email, i mentioned i found a company that sells a kit for an HO model of the EXACT same caboose as the one i'm working on, and he was interested.

here is a link to the site.

http://www.bethlehemcarworks.com/Products/Sparrows_Point/index.html

You can get it in early Sheathed wood version, or the current Plywood and Batten version.  they are HO scale and $34.95 a piece, and i'm thinking of buying one for my model railroad.

« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2007, 6:14pm by green_elite_cab » Logged

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #222 on: Sep 21st, 2007, 9:39am »

That is one fine model right down to the arch bar trucks! PM me and I'll give you Mike's e-mail address.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #223 on: Sep 25th, 2007, 11:00pm »

The Rails to Trails project has taken a foot in Mt. Holly between Madison Avenue and Pine St.
    I have spoken with Karl about two weeks back...He said that if, if Ft. Dix is designated as a Superbase by the Feds, the line from Mt. Holly would most likely be extended back to Dix.
    Karl feels it's the easiest and most direct way for freight to get to Dix, should this come to light.

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #224 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 10:08am »

The three bases officially became one on November 8, 2005.   It is my understanding that any rail traffic will come off the old CNJ Southern Division using the ROW into Lakehurst NAEC that was used for transporting the contaminated nuclear waste out of the old BOMARC site on McGuire.  

After working with the Federal Government for 30+ years, IMHO, they will not rebuild the line from Mt Holly.  Again, IMHO, I do not think that CSX or any other line will, either.  I know this sounds like a defeatist attitude, but I just think it's more realistic.  This is not to say we should give up hope.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #225 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 4:23pm »

Andy you are correct in stating that they might run rail service into the base using the line into Lakehurst. But that line has been dormant for years with no active service down that far and would need to be replaced. So there is still a strong possibility that they will run service into the base through the old rail through Pemberton. The major stumbling block to that plan is that a new bridge would need to be built over Route 206 since the old one was taken down due to the low height of it.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #226 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 5:28pm »

Is there anything interesting down at the mount holly end? maybe it would be worth it to go explore the area with a metal detector or something.  

In other news, my project is just about approved. I just need to fix the dates and some wording (again), but this time its the council that is looking at it.  it will be totally ready to go.

it looks like the work dates are the 13-14 and the 20-21 of october (both weekends).  Maybe I'll see some of you down there! definitely all the work i can get in will help.

Chris

« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2007, 5:28pm by green_elite_cab » Logged

MachinistBoy46
Railfan

« Reply #227 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 9:16pm »

Hi all-

I too noticed the work being done between Madison Ave. and Pine Street.  A backhoe has cleared a path all the way down to Pine Street, and they are still working on clearing trees and brush on the Madison end by the station.  
        On a side note, I purchased a new book out from the Mt. Holly library, all about the history of Mount Holly.  Theres several pictures of the station and station area, some that amazed me. One was looking from about where the loading dock is now, towards the crossing and station, as a MOW crew worked on the crossing, with a steam engine sitting there.  Its amazing how clear everything was, you could see all the way around the curve to the bridge. Funny how Mother nature reclaims everything over time. Take care everyone   -Chris

Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #228 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 11:25pm »

Historic Mount Holly is clearing the ROW between Madison and Pine for a rail trail, per the Burlington County Times.  That whole area had become a haven for the homeless and carousing addicts and alcoholics, so it is being cleared out for more than one reason, and none of them are to restore service.  
As for Lakehurst, CSX CA-34 and CA-35, IIRC, run there at least twice weekly, so there is service.  It is not unusual to see an SD-40 still in Conrail blue parked at the fueling/sanding towers next to the Post Office.  Thus, there is no need to reconstruct a lot of trackage as restoring the ROW from Mt Holly to the bases would.  Additionally, whoever would rebuild the line would have to purchase land back from Burlington County where it is now used for Smithville Park.  East of US 206, homeowners have taken over a bit of ROW, so they have to be contended with, as would Ott's Tavern and the homeowners between the (North Pemberton) station and Pointville Rd.
It is not simply a matter of replacing the bridge over Rte 206.  I have bicycled and walked the path, and there are washouts aplenty, grade crossings to reconstruct, NIMBYs to deal with.  Simply, a whole new line must be built.  (George Harris, where are you to tell us the cost?)  Does anyone believe that CSX would do this?  Probably not, unless Uncle Sam foots the entire bill.  Jim Saxton does a lot for the area, but I don't think he could pull this off.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #229 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 10:24am »

Andy, the land after the station was purchased by the county a while back and they even had stone ordered to take the trail up from the station toward Dix. Ott's borders the trail. I haven't heard anything lately about the expansion of the trail.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #230 on: Sep 28th, 2007, 11:46am »

I wasnt sure about that part of the trail, just the Smithville Park portions.  BTW, someone cleared the brush on the ROW between Pointville Rd and Catesville Rd in Pemberton Twp.  I guess that was about 3 weeks ago.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #231 on: Sep 30th, 2007, 11:45am »

That sounds like the County is again busy getting the next section of railbed ready for conversion to trail. That was supposed to happen last year after they bought the ground from the owners that had originally bought it from the railroad.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #232 on: Oct 11th, 2007, 11:23pm »

Of course, with the project only a few days away, things get changed on me, which really puts me in a spot.  these two weekedn are the only weekends  that were open between now and when I turn 18 in my troop.  

True, some things don't require the whole troop, so people will be around, but now that the sides are being removed, it takes the whole scraping/patching out. Then again, painting seperate panels indoor will be good if it gets cold.  While Saturday's work is still on (even if it is only cleaning out some weeds and brush), I'm not entirely sure what i can really do as far as helping.  

Is there anything i can make plans for calling my troop in for help?  As long as i get enough hours of work in, my project will still count (I don't need to get things reapprooved).  

I just want to start making plans now, because I have to get Tour Permits for each day, so I want to get the paperwork as soon as possible.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #233 on: Oct 12th, 2007, 9:47am »

Sides have been removed!? What happened to patching the holes? Who removed the sides? Both sides, trail and yard? Bring us up to speed.

So if the sides have been removed, the framing members underneath had a lot of old nails, screws, holes and rot in them. Are you planning on putting new wood in there or just sister (nailing a good piece of wood to the old piece) the old framing so you have something to nail to?

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #234 on: Oct 12th, 2007, 3:33pm »

As far as i know, the old wood is still there right now, but Mr. Tamn said they re-evaluated its situation this past wednesday, and they have determined that patching the holes will not be enough.  At the same time, Mr. Tamn told me to not worry about it, since he is deciding to change this stuff.  

So i don't know how the whole thing is working out.  I didn't plan to change things, and Mr. Tamn isn't making it part of my project to do this (since I really have no time for such a project before I turn 1.  If things really get to the point where stuff is getting ripped up in a big and long way, then i'll only be able to help until maybe the weekend before thanksgiving, because after that my birthday is on the 4th of december, and i need time to type up the final part of my project.  

Its not to much a problem for me either, since i just put this under the "Changes" part of my final report.  My Function now is to help out where the extra hands are needed, until I have the required total manhours of work done on my end.  At that point, the reqirements for the project will be filled, but i still might hang out to help, as long as possible anyway.  

I'm not sure if he wanted to get rid of all sides, since the one side (facing the yard) looks like it has been patched up and set for a while. its the side facing the trail that looks bad, but I'll have to talk to Mr. Tamn again tommorow.  

I will be clearing as much stuff as possible. Mr. Tamn says they have a tractor to pull the stuff up from around the side of the caboose, and I'll be wroking on all the weeds and brush around the benches and things on the trails, but no work will happen sunday.  

otherwise, i really don't know to much, all i know is that i won't be scraping any paint, lol.   Perhaps though, if i can get some of the new wood pannels, i can start painting them.   Anyway we can assist will be good.  

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #235 on: Oct 13th, 2007, 2:06pm »

Thanks for the clarification, Chris.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #236 on: Oct 13th, 2007, 5:26pm »

Well day one went by smoothly for me.  because the caboose couldn't be worked on, we went out and clear around all the benches on all of the trails, as well as some weeds and things growing along the trains on the trail side.  

They did start taking some of the old wood off, and surprisingly, the area where the one pannel was nearly rotted in two was fine.  

Sadly however, the wood on the other side under the window (facing those old buildings) was totally rotted out to the point where after allt he rotted wood was removed, you could see through into the car. The surrounding wood though appeared to be fine.  except for that one huge hole in the wood, the inner layer of wood seemed surprisingly fine.   Hopefully the big hole will be fixed one day.   It still looks like new exteriror pannels will be added on though.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #237 on: Oct 14th, 2007, 11:35am »

Who took the old wood off? Your group or volunteers from the station?

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #238 on: Oct 14th, 2007, 12:16pm »

Volunteers at the station. Not all of it is off, but some pieces were removed. Others were pealed back i think to see what was goin on underneath.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #239 on: Oct 15th, 2007, 9:30am »

I spoke with Mike last night. It seems they are putting together quite a force for this weekend to get the caboose done before the weather turns bad. So to that end I will be there on Saturday along with several others to see how much we can accomplish. See you Saturday!

Later!
Mr. Ed

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »