Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 15th, 2017, 9:06am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pemberton Township Historic Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   Pemberton Township Historic Trust
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pemberton Township Historic Trust  (Read 14053 times)
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Pemberton Township Historic Trust

« Reply #200 on: May 18th, 2007, 10:49am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I have never been on the roof. But as it was told to me, Karl was up there during transit from the last site moving overhead wires as needed.

As far as the sides go, when I looked at them last time, it would not be difficult to remove the old plywood and replace it with new outdoor plywood that had been primed and painted on both sides and batten. But there is the framing underneath that would have to be looked at once the old plywood is removed. There are places where the bottom timber can be seen and it is in need of repair. But this too can be patched as needed if it is structurally sound. I had planned on coming up Saturday but the weatherman says it is going to rain all day so that ends that plan.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #201 on: Jun 5th, 2007, 10:18am »

Chris it has been three weeks since your last post. How is the caboose project coming?

I was there last Saturday putting more red paint on the N6B. I have other commitments for the next few Saturdays so I will not be there in the near future.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #202 on: Jun 5th, 2007, 3:25pm »

things are difficult.  I got the plan approove preliminarily, and i just had to make a few changes. I keep trying to get in contact with the station and Mr. Tamn about the changes, but i have no luck.  I can't find his number that he gave me, and so i have been leaving messages at the station.  When i last talked to him, he suggested we have younger scouts work on the benches because of the size of the caboose, but it was felt that this would be to much extra work. I also need an estimate on how much paint it might take to cover that thing, so that I know what to ask for if i go around looking for donations.   Once i have that part covered, i just need to send the final plan in to the burlington county council, which does not take long.  

so yeah, that, and i'll probably start heading over to get better measurements on those holes and panels, so i know how much wood exactly to buy.    

Once i get all of this taken care of, it pretty much comes down to planning an exact date so that i can get as many people out there as possible.  once this little road block is cleared, we'll be out there not long after school is out.  

Chris

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #203 on: Jun 6th, 2007, 10:41am »

We are having problems getting volunteers to work the station. It was closed again last Saturday. Just keep leaving messages and he will get back to you.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #204 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 9:51pm »

My wife and I traveled over to the station today.  We were hoping to see Chris, Karl or Ed there.  That was not to happen.   There was a few old timers there and John.
  John opened up the station for us and showed us some of the newer memorablia there on display.
  John shared with us that WAWA and the township council have backed off for now, stating that they messed up in the arguments in a few places.
  John also expects them to be back and more prepared.   However, just listening to him gave us the impression he really knows his stuff.  I guess working for a major Burlington County engineering firm doesn't hurt either.
  So where were you guys?  Huh?

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #205 on: Jun 17th, 2007, 7:13pm »

I was up there three weeks ago painting the N6B. But since I am out of work and gas ain't cheap, I have to stay away for the time being. I figure it costs me close to $25.00 for the round trip.  

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #206 on: Aug 8th, 2007, 8:47pm »

Hey guys!

just wanted to let everyone know the eagle project on the caboose is just taking a long time to get approved.  the advancement comittee wants it to be perfect for the burlignton county council, and so they are making it rather painfully slow to be completed.  Luckily, I now can say i have a better estimate of when i can get out here.  the early weeks of september, or maybe the end of august, work can begin. as far as i know, only the 7-9 of september would be bad working days, as i have an Order of the Arrow Ordeal i need to attend.  

I have the final packet typed up, and i just need to make a few minor changes so that it is perfect.    

I know i probably should have been calling and keeping you guys updated more often, but other then alot of rewrites and other deals, nothing new has really occurred.  

sorry about the long silence

Chris

« Last Edit: Aug 8th, 2007, 8:48pm by green_elite_cab » Logged

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #207 on: Aug 9th, 2007, 9:53am »

That's OK. I haven't been up there in months myself. First I was unemployed and couldn't afford the gas, then I was employed but the hours were too long to allow any extracurricular activities, and now I am unemployed again but without unemployment benefits this time. Just keep in touch with Mike so he can schedule access for your project.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #208 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 5:19pm »

I have an imporatnat question.   Right now i'm doing the final writeup thingy before it gets to council.  There is much concern over the roof of the caboose.  They really want it from someone who has worked on these things to say that its safe.  They saw the pictures of the outside of it, and they are less then confident in it's structural integrity.  

As long as one of the volunteers at the station say its safe, i can put that in my final writeup.  I'm fairly certain this is the last time i need to go to the drawing board, and other work and things i have fore trhe summer have delayed me far longer than I had anticipated.  

I'm just hoping i can get it all finished up soon.  All summer i've been doing only paper work.  

thank you for your help
Chris.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #209 on: Aug 31st, 2007, 11:02am »

I am the only one from the PTHT that reads these boards and I like others am just a volunteer with no authority on anything. You would have to contact Mike regarding any safety issues. I can tell you that Karl rode on the top of it to clear overhead wires when it was delivered.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #210 on: Sep 16th, 2007, 11:02pm »

as usual the people who make me keep submitting it are bein a pain in my side.  I might not even do the roof at all now, even though i've been told this is an important part of it.

the commitee who is looking at it just keep adding things.  some of the stuff is just getting downright frustrating, since parts that fromt he beginning that have been fine by them, now have to be rewritten and they want me to get climbing harnesses for this thing.    

Now i think they are just asking to much from me. I don't even know where i'm going to find climbing equipment, and its a waste to go buy these things that i'll only use once for this project.  

I've called Mr.Tamn and such already to start asking about stuff, and some people i know who own these things, so hopefully i can borrow this stuff.

I think though, I might be allowed to let the volunteers at the museum go up there (since it doesn't have to be just scouts working on the project), but yeah, i'm not sure i know what to do now.  I just hope they don't make me change it again. Hopefully all this paper work will end soon.  I think its taken longer to get it all signed through than it will take to finish the project.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #211 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 9:39am »

Welcome to corporate America! Where forms, rules and regulations are the norm! I didn't know the plan included the roof. Now I know why you have been asking about it. The only time I discussed this with Mike, he said you were going to do the sides or maybe it was just the side facing the trail. It has been a while. But if the roof is to be done by our volunteers, then that would make your job easier. I did get some drawings from a gentleman and I e-mailed them to Mike. He had asked if I could locate these drawings for dimensional purposes. The problem is that over the years many things changed on these cars so that drawing is probably not worth much. I would suggest that dimensions be taken directly from the car. The drawing also shows the car with shiplap planking, not the plywood and batten strips currently on the car which is on all three examples that I have seen. The other two are the one in Phillipsburg and one in Blackwood, NJ. The plywood was a lot easier to install than the planking.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eric_B.
Chaser

« Reply #212 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 7:20pm »

on May 13th, 2007, 10:27am, Mr._Ed wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That is an old CNJ caboose. There are two other examples around. One is at the defunct museum in Phillipsburg and I seem to recall seeing a picture of it on the internet. There is another one in Blackwood NJ that has been restored and sitting on a short stick of rail. When I first saw it I thought the plywood sides were something done later in it's life rather than put the shiplap planking back on. I since see that it is how it was built.  

Later!
Mr. Ed

There are two more. Ex Central Railroad of New Jersey #91155 is in active service at the New Jersey Museum of Transportation/Pine Creek Railroad and one of her sisters whose number is not known and is not in service. It may be on three foot gauge trucks but she is still rolling (91155 that is). It was produced in 1874 as a boxcar and converted to a caboose around 1900. it was retired by the CNJ in 1972 and NJMT got the car the same year. It is the oldest operating piece of railroad equipment in New Jersey. A picture of the car can be viewed here: http://inlinethumb51.webshots.com/15986/1049595418031568960S600x600Q85.jpg The plywood siding was done in the later years of these cars lives on the CNJ. Some lasted to the end with the tongue and grove siding but all had it at one time or another. I think that another one of these cars or maybe two survive in Jim Thorpe, Pa. One with the tongue and grove siding. On another note I have a question for you Pemberton boys. How come you are NEVER open! I have been there on Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays between the posted hours and you are NEVER open. What gives?

-Eric

If you don't work for the railroad, you don't know more than the people who do, no matter how many years you've hung around the tracks.
Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #213 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 7:57pm »

AFIK, the volunteers to operate the museum are few in number, partly due to bozos like myself who have the time, but just "never get around to it".  See also the "What do you think of the BR&W?" thread.

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #214 on: Sep 17th, 2007, 10:29pm »

on Sep 17th, 2007, 9:39am, Mr._Ed wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Welcome to corporate America! Where forms, rules and regulations are the norm! I didn't know the plan included the roof. Now I know why you have been asking about it. The only time I discussed this with Mike, he said you were going to do the sides or maybe it was just the side facing the trail. It has been a while. But if the roof is to be done by our volunteers, then that would make your job easier. I did get some drawings from a gentleman and I e-mailed them to Mike. He had asked if I could locate these drawings for dimensional purposes. The problem is that over the years many things changed on these cars so that drawing is probably not worth much. I would suggest that dimensions be taken directly from the car. The drawing also shows the car with shiplap planking, not the plywood and batten strips currently on the car which is on all three examples that I have seen. The other two are the one in Phillipsburg and one in Blackwood, NJ. The plywood was a lot easier to install than the planking.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Yeah, i'm feeling better about this stuff. My dad has volunteered to work on the roof, and I think i can muster up some other over-18 individuals on top of the museum's volunteers to help with the roof.  most of the safety stuff is regarding to non-adults, so by just saying adults will go up there, i can by pass this problem.

Now the only rush is to get out there before its to cold to paint.  hopefully global warming will be on my side this fall, and give us another indian summer. I think things will be alright.  

I just need to get Mr. Tamn's signature (the paperwork now is new), and my scoutmaster's signature, and a signature from the committee (if they approve the plan, and they likely will this time around) now.  If I can get these things set up sometime before the 25th, it would be perfect, since council will be looking at project plans on that day, and i should find out if its ready to go that next weekend.  

I know I have a long weekend in october, and i just need to start checking with Mr. Tamn to start finding good dates to do the work.  

the scariest thing now is fundraising and donations.  They want me to raise money for the project, but i'm starting to think i'm going to have to use my own money for the job, simply because i can get the money i need faster. I don't think that will be a problem though, as long as i still carry out the fundraising plan, since i might be able to get my money back, and if i have extra, i'll donate it to the museum.  

We'll have to see how things go, but i think things will finally go forward.

Chris

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #215 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 9:42am »

Chris, when it looked like I was going to do that caboose, I had planned on priming and painting both sides of the plywood at home in the garage and transporting them to the station. This would eliminate the need to accomplish the task in the warm weather. And by priming and painting both sides of the plywood, it would last a lot longer.

Eric:
The station is open whenever we can get volunteers to man the visitors desk inside. Unfortunaltely that is becoming more and more difficult to accomplish. We did have one lady who was under a state program where she got minimum wage to open the station on Wednesdays and Fridays but that program was a temporary one and she had to find another job. The weekends were up to a handful of others that have given up. We are hoping to tap that well of resources next door, the over 55 community, to see if we can find enough volunteers to get the place opened again.

It is upsetting that I am sitting here with a lot of time on my hands but no funds to pay the gas to get up there and do something productive. Shame I am not closer to the place, or the place isn't closer to me.

Later!
Mr. Ed

caboose9
Historian

« Reply #216 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 12:04pm »

Hi,

Here are a few woodies reported as CNJ:

#?, US 40, White Marsh, MD;

#?, Station, Boonton, NJ;

#?, Depot, Pemberton, NJ;

#?, Larry's Trains, Midland Park, NJ#?, Rosedale Nursery, Winslow, NJ;

#?, Mel Venti, 101 N. Chester Rd., E. Goshen Twp., NJ, for sale, does this one have a cupola?

#?, Ice Cream Shop, Depot, Latrobe, PA, http://cencalrails.railfan.net/cnjunknownsrk.jpg ;

(Anyone have numbers for the above CNJ cabooses?)

91145, was at Whippany, NJ, reported as "gone",  where is it now?

91155 & 91245, Pine Creek RR, Farmingdale, NJ;

91197, Phillipsburg, NJ;

91309, Buckingham, PA, does this one have a cupola? &  

91343, Jim Thorpe, PA.

Additions & corrections greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Roger, my train of thought is a caboose

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2007, 12:07pm by caboose9 » Logged

S. Roger Kirkpatrick, Cortez, CO - Gateway to Mesa Verde National Park
green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #217 on: Sep 18th, 2007, 4:18pm »

on Sep 18th, 2007, 9:42am, Mr._Ed wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Chris, when it looked like I was going to do that caboose, I had planned on priming and painting both sides of the plywood at home in the garage and transporting them to the station. This would eliminate the need to accomplish the task in the warm weather. And by priming and painting both sides of the plywood, it would last a lot longer.

Yeah, i was under the impression though that we would be repainting the whole caboose (patches and all) with just a single coat of paint. Atleast, that was the plan when the project was first discussed.  Also, i'm not to worried about winter weather, since i only have until december to do this until I become to old (i turn 18 very soon) to finish the project.

I have heard that you can get extensions on time, but i'm not sure what the circumstances are to be eligible to for such an extension.

Quote:
It is upsetting that I am sitting here with a lot of time on my hands but no funds to pay the gas to get up there and do something productive. Shame I am not closer to the place, or the place isn't closer to me.

Later!
Mr. Ed

maybe on one of the project days we can pick you up, if you'd like.  I certainly understand how hard it is to be sitting there idly without being able to do anything useful.  

Chris

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #218 on: Sep 19th, 2007, 10:17am »

Thanks for the offer to pick me up. But I can muster up enough gas money for a trip up. I just can't do it on a regular basis. Let me know what your schedule looks like.

I didn't know that a patch job was the order of business. Are you planning on replacing entire sheets of plywood where there is rot or somehow putting in a patch?

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #219 on: Sep 19th, 2007, 4:37pm »

I'm just going to plug the holes, and paint it, although the one panel on the side looks like it should be replaced, but from what i was told, the idea was to help stablize the caboose's condition until more work could be done on it. I really don't have the time eagle project wise to be tearing it apart. maybe son ( i stull don't have a car ) i can go down and volunteer myself, but this is all i can do for now.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »