Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 20th, 2017, 2:09am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pemberton Township Historic Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   Pemberton Township Historic Trust
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pemberton Township Historic Trust  (Read 13971 times)
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Pemberton Township Historic Trust

« Reply #20 on: Jan 2nd, 2006, 2:50pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Since I had so much vacation time left at the end of the year, I spent many days at the museum working on the N5C cutting plexiglass and gaskets to install the round windows. I got ten of the twelve in when I ran out of glass and gaskets. So I made templates of the end cupola windows and took dimensions of the side cupola windows. We found a storm window manufacturer that will make the side windows for free but we need to find a company to make the end windows. I can't make them because we cannot find the metal anymore. They used to carry that stuff at the Lowes of the world but not anymore. That and the fact that there isn't a 90 degree angle in the windows and we have a problem. But we will find someone to build them for us.

So in the meantime I decide to clean out the inside of the car. It had become a storage area but since we are so close to working inside, I figured I would sieze the opportunity to commit a neatness in there. While I was at it on Wednesday, the other half of the restoration department, Carl, showed up and he pitched in and since I had to leave, he finished the clean out. So now we know that we have plywood floors but we do not know if the original oak is underneath or not. Or what condition the metal floor is in. One step at a time.

Later and Happy New Year!
Mr. Ed  

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #21 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 11:28am »

Since the weather is so crappy today, I decided to go to the station tomorrow and I am glad I decided to do so. The boss called last night to tell  me that he picked up the cupola side windows and they are ready to be painted and installed. Since it too cold to paint the cupola window frames and the new window frames, I'll bring the windows home and paint them in my shop.

But the big news is that Carl is ready to fire up the diesel tomorrow. If all goes according to plan, this will be the first time she has been under her own power since the mid '80s! I can't wait! The next task will be to get ties and lay some rail so we can get her down off of the tracks that were put in to unload her back in '99 when she was delivered. She sits about 60' from our secondary line up of the flat car, gondola, hopper and fourth caboose. Plan is to lay down rail and tie the two sections together, roll the diesel down to the consist, remove the rail she currently sits on which is about 6" higher than the rest of the line, and then level out that section, and run the rail up to the other end of the trail, about 150'. So if anybody knows where we can get free ties, let me know. The problem is getting them to our site. Since they weigh about 200# each, manpower is not the way to go. Not that we have enough young volunteers to accomplish that task. I am thinking that one of those trailers that the Lowes and Home Depots use with the forklift attached to would be perfect since they can pick them up with it. But we have contacted them and they do not do outside work let alone for a non profit organization. So if anybody in south Jersey has one of those rigs that wants to donate some time to us, let me know. We can supply you with a 501 (C) 3 form for tax purposes.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 5:18pm »

Ed good to read that things are looking upward at the museum.  
I read the article written here at railfan about the possibility of Uncle Sam wanting to do business with the railroad again.  
        If that becomes reality, then you'll have less ties to locate for yourselves.
   And yet, who knows what the future is anyway?

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2006, 5:23pm by Eddie M. » Logged

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #23 on: Jan 14th, 2006, 5:51pm »

Awesome! This Seems like a intersting railroad! I can't wait to hear more!  
Btw, Does anyone happend to have a track plan?
I hope it goes well!

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2006, 5:53pm by BC_and_A_railway » Logged

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: Jan 15th, 2006, 11:41am »

Well the weather did not cooperate today so I didn't make it up there and I doubt Carl did either even though he lives a lot closer.

Eddie, where did you read about the government wanting to put down rails? Yea, if it ever comes to fruition, we will have a lot less rail to lay but that is a way off so we are still moving forward with our plans.

BC_A, we have plans at the museum of what the line looked like way back when. I'll see if I can get a set scanned in for posting. Until then what was there was a single mainline that ran through the station up to Fort Dix from Mt. Holly. In our area, there was a siding that was connected at both ends to the mainline from just inside the street to the other end of the property, about 1/8 mile. Then there was another siding attached to that one with switches just inside the other set. Now on the second siding, there was a switch that sent the line into the old yard that Wawa wants for another super store. Just what we need, another Wawa. In the yard is all of the original ties covered and graded back in the early '80s when the line was ripped out. The turntable pit is still in the ground also. If we can somehow convince Wawa to stay where they are, we will put the yard back the way it was with the large building to  be our main museum. We have located a turntable just like the one that came out of here but the current owner will not part with it. It is sitting in the weeds on his property rusting away.

Hopefully next week the weather will be better. I'll let you know.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #25 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 2:11pm »

Went to the station yesterday and Carl had already started the left engine two weeks ago Thursday when the temperature had climbed into the mid 60s. He had to crank it for about 45 seconds but it did fire and he let it run for a few seconds and shut it down. He checked it over and started it again and let it run a little longer and shut it down again and checked everything again. You have to take it slow since the engines hadn't been run in 26 years! He fired it up one more time but when he went to shut it down it wouldn't. He fiures the old fuel in the cylinders had heated up and was finally burning off. It did begin to slow down but it kept running when he hit the fuel shut off switch. It finally died but the engine began to creep along the rail. So yesterday, we worked on the brakes. He brought this hose reel and started our big compressor to charge the system. After running it about an hour, we found and identified many leaks. But on the positive side, the brake cyclinders did move out and engaged the brakes when we isolated the leaks. The biggest leak was in the auxiliary brake pedestal when the bleeder wouldn't close. He will take it apart this week and see if we can get all of the leaks fixed next weekend.

Stay tuned!

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #26 on: Jan 26th, 2006, 6:37pm »

Ed,
  You are a very driven person who loves trains to death. And Karl is a very enthusiastic person who loves digging into things and finding out the answers.
  You've given all us reading a bit to digest.    
  Please continue to keep us updated.

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Jan 29th, 2006, 12:26pm »

Yesterday I wanted to make sure the donated windows will actually fit the cupola side window opening before I painted them. I took a bare frame and test fited it. It was too small. They built them with the flange dimension to the opening dimension. So we can use them if we build up the frame 2" all around which would look like crap so I am going to see if I can find someplace to buy the triple track aluminum frame material to build our own windows. Good thing we didn't pay for them. So I removed the side steel panel that covered the center of the opening and ground out the rusted metal and primed everything since it was a beautiful day.  

Karl stopped by to drop off some stuff and he said he will put the last two windows in the diesel on Sunday, today, while he charges the air system to isolate some more leaks. He did find that all of the brake cyclinders were leaking around the shafts because they had been sitting for so long. He sprayed them all with penetrating while they were out and they have stopped leaking since the grease has dissolved and the seals have taken the right shape. The big leak in the brake stand was due to a ruptured seal. Karl contactd GE and the seal is still available so he ordered one. So since the diesel is a GE, it would be safe to say, "At GE, progress is our most important product!" Pardon the cliche'!

Covered the N6B chassis again. We really need to get a good pair of tarps whose rope edging and grommets doesn't pull out in a strong wind. Less than two months to spring so I figure we can paint this thing sometime in May. The plan now is to work on the N6B in the warm weather and then go inside the N5C in the winter since by then it should be sealed up and weatherproof.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Anthony_Ribera
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 10:53am »

Have you guys asked any local excursion railroads if they would donate ties? Like Black River, New Hope or Pine Creek?  I know they should have some laying around. Its just a suggestion. Ohh man imagine if the museum could geta hold of a old pennsy 0-6-0 B6. They have one down at the Wilmington & Western Railroad. But i believe shes in really rough shape. But hey ya never know, you get a classic Pennsy Steamer over there, work can be done on it!!!! People would drive by and say "WHOA  A STEAM ENGINE" That would be very nice. Ive visited the museum a couple times and i love it!!  Its a wonderful place, and a great piece of railroading history in Jersey!! Keep up the good work!!  Thanks, Anthony

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 12:47pm »

Thanks for the suggestion, Anthony. I'll pass it along to our acquisiton guru.

And yes, we would love to have a steamer. And we have one in mind. Number 5351 that ran out of the Pemberton yard back in the early 1900s and is sitting outside in the PA museum in Strasburg. But like anything else, it takes money and right now our donation pool is a bit dry.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

90Fan
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 5:20pm »

Mr. Ed, 5351 was a K4 which currently is nonexistant. There are only 2 K4s left: the 3750 at the RR museum of PA, and the 1361, currently at Steamtown undergoing repairs.

I'm ba-ack....for now, anyway.
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #31 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:51am »

Maybe I got the numbers mixed. How about 5331? I was told by several people that it is at Strasburg sitting outside. The other engine that served out of Pemberton yard for about two years at the end of her service life is the Lindbergh engine, #460 which was cosmetically restored and put on display at Strasburg with a replica consist but has since been moved outside. Now I am going on reports because I haven't been to the museum in a while.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

90Fan
Historian

« Reply #32 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 6:39pm »

Nope, no 5331 on the museum roster, either. As for the 460, they'd never give it up. Way too historically significant.

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 7:05pm »

If its in strasburg pa it is at this link -www.steamlocomotive.info/ddsearchnew.cfm-

Wops! that did not work O well JUST search strasburg at this site

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2006, 7:06pm by de-rail » Logged

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Anthony_Ribera
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:17pm »

Hey im telling you guys. That 0-6-0 down in Hockessen Delaware. Its a B-6, but its the earlier verion without the Belpair Firebox. I hear that its owned privately now. although i also heard that it was up for sale during the 1980's for only 5 grand!!  Man i wonder if that owner of the thing would give it up? I'll tell him 4,500 take it or leave it Pal!! lololol   Thanks Ant

Anthony_Ribera
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:27pm »

http://forums.railfan.net/image.cgi?WWRR/wwrr_5-15-05_xtra.jpg

Anthony_Ribera
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:34pm »

Thats her guys...  She needs a lot of TLC but come on.....  Its a PRR B-6!!  The same class of engine that last operated on that line!!!  And it certainatly isnt doing anything in Delaware that it cant do in Pemberton. I mean im sure with some hard work and determination we can move her and set her up by the Pemberton Depot. Imagine raising funds to get her back under steam!!!  Yea many people say it cant be done, but i say nothing is impossible. Its old what do they want? Of course its a lot of work. But is it worth it?  YES!  That tender is not the original i dont think. They usually came with Slopebacks.  But then again i have seen pics of these locos with larger size tenders. So yea there she is in all her glory... or not...PRR B-6 class 0-6-0 #60.   Thanks, Ant.

90Fan
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 9:59pm »

That'd be an ideal steamer for the type of line being worked on in Pemberton. Just the right size, reflects the local history, and is small, so restoration will cost somewhat less than it would on a larger one.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #38 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 12:00pm »

I like it! I will pass the information along to our fearless leader.

I also will go back and research the original  number I posted. There is a picture in our museum of both engines sitting on the sidings here in the late '50s. Our president has told me that both were at the Strasburg museum. We also have a picture of the loco in question with the chalked message on the side "last steam to Pemberton." And yes I agree that they will never give up 460 because of it's historic significance. But you have to remember that she only worked out of here for the last year or two of her service life.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #39 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 12:09pm »

OK. If you go over to Keystone Crossing and click on Hobo section then got to the Camden & Burlington section, you will find a picture of #5351 and the story of the last steam on November 12, 1957 to run to Pemberton. This is the engine that I have been told is at the PA Strasburg museum outside. So since we have one vote for it being there and one vote for it not being there I will contact the museum and make sure that the day I wish to visit that I can get access to the outside which is not always available. If it is I'll get some photos and post them. If it indeed isn't, we will at least put that rumor to bed.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »