Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 20th, 2017, 2:02am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pemberton Township Historic Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   Pemberton Township Historic Trust
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pemberton Township Historic Trust  (Read 13963 times)
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Pemberton Township Historic Trust

« Reply #180 on: May 4th, 2007, 9:29am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

You will. May take a few days. The boss is pretty busy with the fight with Wawa. It is really amazing how much trouble they go to even when there is nothing to fight for. It is like so many other companies out there. The CEO sure has no idea of what is going on in his company or I am sure there would be massive firings. Their real estate and legal departments are filled with people making work for themselves, not looking to the benefit of the company.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #181 on: May 4th, 2007, 3:53pm »

alright thats good.

How is all that Wawa stuff going?

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #182 on: May 4th, 2007, 11:54pm »

I spoke with Karl the other day.  I mentioned to him that Ed Was out of work.
Karl said he didn't know that.
     Karl did say that WAWA can not build on all of the adjacent property  because of historic status of the yard.  Karl mentions that the rails go right up to the old window building.  WAWA can only build beyond where the tracks lie.
     Interesting turn of events.  And yes, the fight with WAWa is certainly not over yet.
     Karl said to give him a call Ed.

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #183 on: May 5th, 2007, 10:50am »

I'll see him at the meeting next week.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

ETSRRCo
Railfan

« Reply #184 on: May 8th, 2007, 3:26pm »

So does this mean that there is still a chance that you will be able to use the old yard site?

-Eric

There goes another ET&S train of black diamonds

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #185 on: May 8th, 2007, 10:36pm »

Yes it does Eric.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #186 on: May 9th, 2007, 11:04am »

Not quite true. Wawa owns the ground so after all efforts are exhausted and approvals given, they can do whatever they want with any part of it. What they are discussing is a possbility of the sale of what they will not be using. If this in fact comes to fruition, it would include the turntable pit and possibly the freight house foundation. And depending on the driveway placement, the sheds in the back of the property might remain. Gone will be all of the foundations at the front of the property, the general store, the hay press building and of course the big building where they built pre-fabricated homes which we wanted to use as the main museum. We would have a substantial piece of ground and yes there is still quite a bit of track in there. We were told that the PRR ripped up all of the track and covered the ties with soil. That may not be true. But we are still awaiting Wawa's decision on what they want to do.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #187 on: May 9th, 2007, 5:33pm »

Looks like i'll be heading down there this friday to talk with Mr. Tamn.   looks like things are working out so far.

MachinistBoy46
Railfan

« Reply #188 on: May 9th, 2007, 9:59pm »

Hi all-

Hey, at this point having some of the yard is better Wawa getting all of it. Hope Wawa finds some generous spot in their loving heart for it.   -Chris

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #189 on: May 10th, 2007, 9:56am »

My thoughts exactly. I am already envisioning how to tie in the siding with the rail in the yard so we can get the trucks out of sight and maybe even get some of the other cars in the yard.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #190 on: May 11th, 2007, 6:08pm »

Well i was just down at the station, and it looks like I'm going to be patching holes and painting up that old wood caboose at the very end (uh oh, this is gonna be a big project, lol), if i can get my project approved.   I got a good look at it after he suggested the project, and so i assume he means for us to put boards over the holes, and repaint areas to make it look nicer eternally.    

now to wade through all the scout commitees.  I get my life rank on wednesday, and they have agreed to let me submit my plan for approval on the same day.  Once its approved, i'll have to call back and see when i can come out and get to work with my troop.  

I'll keep you guys updated.  

Chris

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2007, 6:45pm by green_elite_cab » Logged

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #191 on: May 13th, 2007, 1:57am »

I can read that your putting your money where your mouth is.  
Good for you Chris.   I think if you stay with this project, you'll gain invaluable work experience on the railroad line here.

« Last Edit: May 13th, 2007, 1:57am by Eddie M. » Logged

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #192 on: May 13th, 2007, 10:27am »

That is an old CNJ caboose. There are two other examples around. One is at the defunct museum in Phillipsburg and I seem to recall seeing a picture of it on the internet. There is another one in Blackwood NJ that has been restored and sitting on a short stick of rail. When I first saw it I thought the plywood sides were something done later in it's life rather than put the shiplap planking back on. I since see that it is how it was built.  

Later!
Mr. Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

Picture20022.jpg - 203597 Bytes
« Reply #193 on: May 13th, 2007, 10:32am »

I remembered I had the photo of the one at Phillipsburg. Here it is.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (203597 bytes, 1024x768 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Picture20022.jpg - 203597 Bytes

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #194 on: May 13th, 2007, 8:31pm »

yeah, where the steps intentionally removed so that people couldn't climb on the equipment? i noticed the steps were missing on alot of the cars.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

CNJ-Oct_06-2.jpg - 268084 Bytes
« Reply #195 on: May 14th, 2007, 9:56am »

No. I think that is exactly how we got it. If the steps were removed from other cars, they are stored somewhere that I am not aware of.  

Later!
Mr. Ed

PS. Here is a photo of the car in discussion.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/CNJ-Oct_06-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #196 on: May 16th, 2007, 9:56pm »

Alright! I've got my Life rank, and i  just need to submit my plan for final approval by the Burlington County Council and my local committee.  

I only really needed to make 2 major changes to the plan.  While Mr. Tamn suggested that some of the other scouts could help fix benches if they couldn't work on the caboose, but its recommended i drop this so that the project can stay on task with its main goal.  

I also need to adjust some of my avenues of supplies and cash flow, but thats not a problem.  the problem there was, while i have enough money to go out and buy the nails and plywood to patch most of the holes,  they say it doesn't necessarily demonstrate leadership to go and buy it yourself, so i'll probably start having to collect donations, and some suggested a bake sale, or somthing of that nature. I'll have to check my options.  

I also need to find out extra ridiculously small but important things, that maybe you guys can help me with. I'll probably give Mr. Tamn another call as well.

Basically, i need to know

1.)  the Bathroom situation.  Very important.  I think there is only one in the station, but if there are any others that would be available, its good to know

2.) Who might have First aid kits, if the station has one, what does it include? where would it be so that i can go grab it on a moments notice

3.) where the phones are, or who is carrying a phone in case an emergency call needs to be made.

Any of these kinds of details I'd need to know. Its very important that the scout motto "be prepared" is followed to the letter in the write up.  

so once i tie up these details, i should be able to get out there!

Chris

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #197 on: May 17th, 2007, 10:18am »

There is indeed a bathroom in the station but as you mentioned, if there is no volunteer in there, like last Saturday, you will need to either find a big tree or go to the Dunkin Donuts or Burger King.

There is a first aid kit in the section house but finding it might be a bit of a challenge.

There is a phone in the station but again if there is no volunteer on duty..............

As an aside, the first project I tackled when I arrived several years ago was to strip the N6B (circa 1900) down to the bare chassis that you see in the fenced in area in black paint. When I began it did indeed look like a caboose without a roof or cupola but all of the wood had rotted away to the point of being a danger to anyone who entered it. So on several Saturdays and Sundays, Tom and I tore off and disposed of all of the old lumber. Mike and I had discussed doing the one that you will be working on and I had suggested that instead of patching and painting it would be easier to remove the entire side and replace the old plywood and batten. It might be a bit more expensive but it would be done the right way the first time. But you must keep in mind that since there isn't a steady flow of funds and volunteers, no project will get done quickly. Therefore a patch job may be all that will be done to that one for the time being.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #198 on: May 17th, 2007, 5:18pm »

Maybe i can arrange for a volunteer to be available, or atleast, a copy of the keys to the station (a scout is trustworthy, lol, and i know that anything that could happen would be my responsibility).

Yeah, the wood on that thing looked pretty bad. It looks like it is still holding together, even though it has some holes.  Its starting to worry me now that you mention it.  Part of the caboose he wanted painted was the roof, but if the caboose is stucturally weak, it makes me wonder how safe it would be to have some of the scouts up there scraping and painting

If it is still sound though, i suppose patching it up and paintint it could atleast stabilize it, right?  I guess thats the most imporant part for now.  

Out of curiosity, what kind of work would go intoactually taking the old wood out and putting new stuff in?  

I'm going to have to stop by again and get my own pictures, as well as to make sure i catch all iotas of possibilites something dangerous is present, since i wasn't there for all to long the other friday.

« Last Edit: May 17th, 2007, 5:20pm by green_elite_cab » Logged

caboose9
Historian

« Reply #199 on: May 18th, 2007, 10:21am »

green_elite_cab wrote, "I'm going to stop by and get my own pictures."

Hi,

If you get the photos I'd like to see one or two of them.  I have asked for a jpeg or print of the caboose in the past, but to no avail.

Thanks, Roger, born & raised in Oak Tree

P.S. I have a listing of some NJ cabooses.  A note to me at "@beyondbb.com" will get you a copy.

S. Roger Kirkpatrick, Cortez, CO - Gateway to Mesa Verde National Park
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »