Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 17th, 2017, 4:07am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pemberton Township Historic Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   Pemberton Township Historic Trust
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pemberton Township Historic Trust  (Read 14043 times)
MachinistBoy46
Railfan
Re: Pemberton Township Historic Trust

« Reply #140 on: Dec 6th, 2006, 9:39pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Just think about that, an excursion train running from the station at Pemberton to the station in Mount Holly. How cool would that be. One can dream.....

Mr. Ed, if you have the source and money for ties, and the truck to do it, me and my friend Eric from Pine Creek can certainly supply the muscle. Like I said, unfortunatley my work schedule is crazy now (and will be getting even more crazy as winter approaches. Water mains and subzero temperatures dont co-exist too well ) Maybe in Spring when things die down a little its a possibility. Are these used ties? I know from a friend that theres a landscaper somewhere down in South Jersey that sells used ties for like $10 a piece. I never even knew you could buy used ties like that. Take care   -Chris

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #141 on: Dec 7th, 2006, 1:11pm »

We'd love to run to Mt. Holly station but aside from the lack of ties there is one other thing missing that precludes us from running that far. And that item is the bridge that used to go over Route 206. It was taken out years ago because it needed repair and it was very narrow and very low. But I belive that the run from the station to Rt 206 is 4 or 5 miles. About the distance Strasburg runs on. That would make a great excursion line.

I am planning on taking you up on the offer to move ties! Can't wait until spring!

Later!
Mr. Ed  

ETSRRCo
Railfan

« Reply #142 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 11:11pm »

HEY HEY HEY!!!! Dont you be leaving me out of this kind of stuff Chris!!! I want to build track to!!! So do you guys have a truck for the ties? Also why are you finding such a problem in getting ties? Could it be the fact that standard gauge ties are $28. So if there are 2,800 ties in a mile and you have 1.5 miles of rail which gives you 4,200 ties. So that is about $117,600. Could that number be the problem?

-Eric

There goes another ET&S train of black diamonds

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #143 on: Dec 9th, 2006, 12:51pm »

Could be! I haven't calculated how many we would need but from what I've been told, these are used, good three sided ties. But since we have no healthy old guys to move these, it is a problem. And this problem will have to wait until spring time. I just came back from the station and it is too cold to be working outdoors any more this year.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

ETSRRCo
Railfan

« Reply #144 on: Dec 9th, 2006, 9:18pm »

NAH!!! We are going out tomorrow to replace a broken rail and ties in our yard, but I think we would be of more help to you in the Spring. See ya around.

There goes another ET&S train of black diamonds

JR May

View Profile  

« Reply #145 on: Dec 11th, 2006, 9:12am »

4 or 5 miles is quite the run.  Might want to start small and work your way up to that.  A half mile each way would be outstanding and would allow you to keep the ticket price low enough to develop the business.  This is where embracing the WaWa might come in handy.  Traffic will be increase and so will your visibility.  Take advantage of that.  Even if only using the cabooses and the diesel, it might be a place for a dad to take his kid on occasion.  And then take more than one ride while there.  Repeat business is key.  And of course a Santa event.  

I checked the WaWa site for data on their grant program.  Might be a stretch, but its possible you might be able to use one of those categories they show.  Again, look at how to take advantage of WaWa.  

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #146 on: Dec 11th, 2006, 2:08pm »

I'm a step ahead of you. I sent Wawa an e-mail asking for a grant. A grant of land. Hey, you never know until you ask. So I asked for the yard as a donation. Tax deductible of course since we are a licensed non-profit organization.

If we did run an excursion it probably would be with our GE diesel and the N5C caboose since it is the closest to being utilized. And both have roller bearings, not that it matters on our own rails but you  never know when the government may decide to run freight back into Dix through our little slice of heaven. And then there is the flat car that could be converted to a bench car without too much trouble.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #147 on: Dec 11th, 2006, 9:18pm »

is there any likelihood the military would do go back to McGuire AFB/ Fort Dix?

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #148 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 4:26pm »

It is something they have been talking about doing for years. The single largest hurdle is the bridge over 206. The old one was too low and narrow so the new one would have to be adequate to keep traffic flowing as it is today. I have heard nothing from anyone that this is even being considered any longer. The alternative is bringing the line to Dix through Lakehurst using an old line outside the base. It is a longer route but may be cheaper because there is no bridge to build.

Later!
Mr. Ed

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #149 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 4:45pm »

would a grade crossing be unacceptable?

90Fan
Historian

« Reply #150 on: Dec 12th, 2006, 5:12pm »

206 is too busy of a road to have a grade crossing. I think having a longer route would actually be better for the operation, IMO.

I'm ba-ack....for now, anyway.
Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #151 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 12:11am »

Hey guys this is New Jersey.   Our politicians don't think about logic, they think about who they can payback for their campaign loyalties.
Holding or diverting traffic on Route 206 would be a no brainer in their world.

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #152 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 4:10pm »

A grade crossing would mean they have to cut the existing roadbed down about 12' to get to grade. Since there is so much commercial and residential development around the trail, they would have to buy a lot of ground to grade it out or build a lot of retaining walls. Either way it would probably be cheaper to build the bridge. Representative Saxton was supporting this route but I haven't heard anything in a long time so he may have thrown in the towel.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

robertjohndavis
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #153 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 11:47pm »

Wow, this is a nice piece to have. Any idea who owned it before it got to Roebling?

Rob

on Oct 6th, 2006, 2:37pm, Mr._Ed wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The (supposedly) rare tapered top hopper from Roebling steel. Lots of surface rust. This puppy will take a ton of elbow grease to get back into shape.

Ahead of the Torch
http://www.robertjohndavis.com/

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #154 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 1:49pm »

As far as I know, all of the Roebling stock was bought by them but it is not a topic I have had any large discussions about with anyone at the museum. Why do you ask? Is it rare?

Later!
Mr. Ed

robertjohndavis
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #155 on: Dec 14th, 2006, 2:21pm »

Yes, very few two-bay hoppers are left, especially given how many there once were. The acidic nature of coal did these in.

I would bet the Roebling did not buy this new.

Rob

on Dec 14th, 2006, 1:49pm, Mr._Ed wrote:       (Click here for original message)
As far as I know, all of the Roebling stock was bought by them but it is not a topic I have had any large discussions about with anyone at the museum. Why do you ask? Is it rare?

Later!
Mr. Ed

Ahead of the Torch
http://www.robertjohndavis.com/

Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #156 on: Dec 28th, 2006, 11:24am »

I had a discussion this morning with a fellow Pem Twp resident who is not a railfan.  He brought up the turntable in town and how it should be saved.  I explained about the WaWa deal,  and he opined that they should not be able to build a gas station there because of DEP regs.  It seems that it is too near an unnamed  stream, and the Rancocas creek.   Spillage would despoil the ground water and the streams.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #157 on: Dec 29th, 2006, 11:11am »

You are correct regarding the stream's relative closeness to the proposed underground tanks. But remember we are talking about Wawa. A company that has more money than god. I am not going to depend on the EPA or DEP to stop them from building thier station. They have already said they will be open by the end of 2007.

Time will tell.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #158 on: Dec 31st, 2006, 4:01pm »

Perhaps it's time for one or more of our local television stations to venture over to the Pemberton railroad historic trust and tell them all of this that has happened?
  Not for nothing, but maybe  someone can drop a line to the govenor's office?
  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.   I would make these people never forget the Pemberton Historic Trust.
  Don't forget history, the British Empire was defeated by a small, somewhat organized bunch of renegades who later became of founding fathers.

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #159 on: Dec 31st, 2006, 4:39pm »

Hmmm, nothing ventured, nothing gained?  Interesting, since some people have accepted that fighting WaWa and their money is a losing proposition from what I see in the previous posts.

Well, I HAVE taken it upon myself to contact the DEP.  I have also bothered to contact the History Channel "Save our History" portion of their website.  That was Friday, so I dont expect a reply right away, although DEP did acknowledge that they received my e-mail.
As one of the stalwart supporters, Mr Ed, sez, we'll see.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »