Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 20th, 2017, 2:12am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Pemberton Township Historic Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Pemberton Township Historic Trust  (Read 13974 times)
Strasburg_fan
Former Member

« on: Oct 22nd, 2005, 1:20pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

This thread has been created specifically for "Eddie_M." and "Mr._Ed" (and anyone else who may want to join in) for discussion on the developing railroad museum in Pemberton Township, New Jersey. Take it away, guys!

-Christian S.

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Pemberton Township Historic Trust

« Reply #1 on: Oct 22nd, 2005, 10:40pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I'm going to attempt to get this thread going on it's own now.    
Ed, maybe you can re-post the picture that was posted in the old thread.
   I will also post the last quote that you made regarding the fate of the expansion of the Pemberton Train Museum.
          ..........Eddie

Quote from Mr_Ed..(Just before the zoning hearing that gave Wawa the OK to proceed, our engineer finished his drawings showing what the super Wawa plan looks like at our rail yard and then what it will look like at their current facilty. It fits there better and gives them two sides with turn lanes that they will not get at our site. And the demolition price at their site is to remove two old buildings and underground tanks versus the five or six building foundations and the turntable pit plus five or six buildings at our yard. But we do not think any one on the board at Wawa knows this. But the township sees it as more rateables since they will then have Wawa's old site for more commercial developement. With us in there they do not get that since we are a non profit organization. But what they will get with us in there is a fully restored and operational railroad facility with operating rolling stock and a huge museum for the tri county area. It will be a great place to visit and will bring in tourists from many areas who will spend money in the area. Wawa cannot bring people in! But we knew we were going to lose at the township level but the county and the state are on our side because they recognize the historic significance of the site so we are very confident that we will win out in the end. It is just sad to see so much of our limited resources going to fight Wawa.  

But on a positive note, the N6B 1904 caboose chassis is back and ready for me to paint this Saturday. Now we have three projects going for the restoration department of Carl and myself! He plans to have the diesel running in a week or two. Then we get to collect ties so we can lay down rail to connect the diesel rail to the back rail where our other caboose, hopper, gondola and flat car are. But we need either an off road forklift or a claw to pick up the ties from the donation site. I haven't this much physical labor in years!  

Later!  
Mr. Ed   )

« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2005, 10:41pm by Eddie M. » Logged

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

CR_23147-4-2.jpg - 56369 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Oct 23rd, 2005, 11:05am »

Thank you Christian for giving us a thread and thanks Eddie for your interest.

I have some new pictures that I took on Tuesday when the chassis came back but since my company didn't activate the picture retrieval process on their camera phone, I'll have to post them later. But until then, here are the other photos I took with my digital camera.

Later!
Mr. Ed

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/CR_23147-4-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

wok3002
TRAINing
Re: Reading Railroad trips 2005 (RCT&HS)

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 1:43pm »

I hope the trust can convince the state to back the museum effort and block the Wawa.  This is truely the best grass roots preservation effort.  I had the privledge of assisting with the roofing on the reconstructed building down there and they truely are a class act.  I wish I wasn't so tied up with school and that the gas prices weren't so high.  I would certainly love to be able to get involved again with the work down there.

Kevin O

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 3:59pm »

Thanks Kevin. Appreciate the kind words. I wish you could get down here too. Our restoration department consists of two of us. And Carl is working on getting the diesel running. I am still trying to get the N5C weatherproofed before the weather really gets nasty. This way I can work inside there this winter. Last winter I worked outside tearing the N6B apart. That chassis is back and needs to be painted black. And the pictures I took with that darned camera phone didn't take very well and when I tried to save them to disk, they didn't. I will take the digital up there this weekend and take some better shots.

But yes, we have it on good authority that the county and state are very interested in conserving history. If Wawa knew better they would give up and save us all a ton of money.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26th, 2005, 8:40pm »

Hey Ed,
   Up until recently, I thought you guys (you and Carl) had a bigger task force at the museum?    
   What happened to the other guys who were working with the museum?
    I also understand that someone ripped off most of your railroad spikes too?

................Eddie

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Oct 29th, 2005, 5:44pm »

Funny. I was just talking about the other volunteers this morning. There are many of them but they come out when asked. Carl and I just fall by to do our thing.

First I heard about someone stealing spikes. If they can carry them, more power to them. Now someone did steal our trailer last week. The police came out and investiagated the scene and followed the tracks the moron left on his quad. They had to stop when they ran into a downed tree. We have oour ears open and am confident we will find the guy. I suggested when we do, we go to his house and steal his stuff!

I am going to take my camera tomorrow and get some shots for the board.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_0059-1-.jpg - 67807 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 2:10pm »

Took the camera and got some new shots. This one is the N5C with the new caboose red paint on the sides. I painted the roof in primer this past weekend. If the weather holds, I hope to get the roof in red in preperation of putting in windows. And yes, the line up is different from the other photo. When we got the N6B chassis back, it was determined that it would be easier to roll the NX23 forward and put the chassis in the back rather than trying to put it back in the middle which was very labor intensive.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/IMG_0059-1-.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_0061-2-.jpg - 68766 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 2:12pm »

Here's a better shot of the NX23.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/IMG_0061-2-.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_0060-2-.jpg - 67543 Bytes
« Reply #9 on: Nov 1st, 2005, 2:15pm »

And last but not least, our center cab, 100 ton GE diesel. The other half of the restoration department, Carl, hopes to get her running before winter sets in. But then we will need to get her down off of the rail and connected to the track behind it. But that means we have to go get ties. Oh well! Another bridge to cross.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/IMG_0060-2-.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Nov 9th, 2005, 6:29pm »

Ed,
   After Carl gets that switcher going and air brake operations a go, what color scheme plan will there be for the locomotives and rolling stock?
   Will the Pennsylvania railroad logo be used once more?
    Where do you find track, ties, spikes, plates for the museum displays so they can operate?

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Nov 10th, 2005, 5:44pm »

All of the rolling stock we are collecting represents cars used at the station in it's history so everything except the GE diesel will go back into PRR colors. The diesel was always used at Roebling and will go back into their color scheme.  

We have 1.5 miles of track and barrels of spikes but ties are hard to come by if for no other reason they are heavy and difficult to transport. We have two sources but to get them moved by guys grabbing them would wear out the guys in short order. So we would need an off road forklift or claw to grab them. There is 3.5 miles between us and route 206 that would make an excellent excersion. But we are funded by grants and donations unlike other museums in this state. So we have to work slowly.  

But what really hurts is when you hear of a piece of rolling stock that is available but have no funds to acquire or move it. Now if we had the old yard next door that would help immensly. I personally haven't bought anything at Wawa since getting involved with the museum. I just can't tolerate greed and the total lack of respect for history.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Nov 24th, 2005, 5:22pm »

Ed,
   Thanks for the clear picture of what's going on and what will be.
I recently ventured over to the train show over at Pemberton High School last Saturday.    
   The show was nice and I got to speak to one of the ladies representing the Pemberton Historical Trust.
   She and I spoke for a good 20-25 minutes on the happenings in Pemberton and of course, the museum.  
   She sounds very passionate on the museum moving forward.  
   I didn't have enough time on Saturday to venture over to the museum, but passed by going on chores.
   The Rails to Trails deal.   From my understanding, it was originally conceived to keep these row's open in case of future needs of transportation (rail) if the area so needed it.
   Now I'm listening to other rederict that that's not what it is now.  What gives?

...............Ed

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Nov 27th, 2005, 11:53am »

The train show was a huge success! We had as many people by 10:30 as we did in all of last years show. I didn't get as much done last week because of the massive amount of foot traffic that came down from the show. If you are around, we are having a hayride next weekend. This gets bigger every year!

About the availabilty to reline the trails, that is the first time I've heard of it but it seems logical. Too logical for our non-railroad government to have thought of. We have permission to lay down a single line with a fence separating the line from the trail. Someday.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 5:20pm »

This is for people who want to learn more about the North Pemberton Train station and the proposed expansion that we have been talking about.
          The first link is from the archives found right here at Railfan.net.

http://www.railfan.net/lists/listphoto.cgi?rshsdepot-12-10-04/Railroad_Station.jpg

Here is the second link, dedicated to the North Pemberton railroad station.

http://www.pemberton-twp.com/North_Pemberton_Station.html

« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2005, 4:28pm by Eddie M. » Logged

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Dec 13th, 2005, 5:21pm »

Here is one more link to the national trust for saving and hightlighting historic structures and places that maybe threatened.

http://www.nationaltrust.org/magazine/archives/arc_news_2005/032405.htm

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 2:36pm »

Thanks Mike! The links are awesome! And the news story puts the whole mess into perspective. Funny thing is we haven't heard a peep out of Wawa since they won approval to rezone the ground. I have asked if they have a time limit on their submittal process and we are awaiting an answer.

In the meantime, I have begun installing the plexiglass in the N5C. I have two pieces in and brought the other pieces home to clean the paper off of. They have been sitting in the car getting wet for six years. I just finished that chore today during lunch so I am going back on Wednesday to put in as many as I can. We found a storm window manufacturer that will make the cupola side windows for us for gratis. They said they will have them for us in about three weeks. We are closing in on getting it weatherproof.

Last week we were allowed to go up to North Jersey to a CSX yard where they were cutting up another N5C and take any parts off we wanted. So we got both ladders from the ends, both doors, the stove and toilet and miscellaneous electrical stuff to help in our retoration. We did want to acquire the car along with the last known surviving cast steel flat car but we weren't made aware of their existance until the very end and we just couldn't scrape up the money for acqusition and transportation. That's sad but it is also life.

Later and Happy Holidays!
Mr. Ed  

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 4:33pm »

Ed,
     I appreciate the cudos but my name is Ed just like yours!
     It's good to know that you received some valuable items for the caboose, though your right about getting everything. (flat car)
     Tell me, what is the way to gain the information on how many WAWA's there are in Burlington County alone?
     WAWA's are as common as new developments here.
     Happy Christmas and New Year's to you too!

...........Ed

on Dec 19th, 2005, 2:36pm, Mr._Ed wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks Mike! The links are awesome! And the news story puts the whole mess into perspective. Funny thing is we haven't heard a peep out of Wawa since they won approval to rezone the ground. I have asked if they have a time limit on their submittal process and we are awaiting an answer.

In the meantime, I have begun installing the plexiglass in the N5C. I have two pieces in and brought the other pieces home to clean the paper off of. They have been sitting in the car getting wet for six years. I just finished that chore today during lunch so I am going back on Wednesday to put in as many as I can. We found a storm window manufacturer that will make the cupola side windows for us for gratis. They said they will have them for us in about three weeks. We are closing in on getting it weatherproof.

Last week we were allowed to go up to North Jersey to a CSX yard where they were cutting up another N5C and take any parts off we wanted. So we got both ladders from the ends, both doors, the stove and toilet and miscellaneous electrical stuff to help in our retoration. We did want to acquire the car along with the last known surviving cast steel flat car but we weren't made aware of their existance until the very end and we just couldn't scrape up the money for acqusition and transportation. That's sad but it is also life.

Later and Happy Holidays!
Mr. Ed  

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 11:48am »

Don't know where I got Mike from. Sorry about that!

I don't know where you could get the number of stores Wawa has or if they have a website. You are right, they seem to be on every other corner. We had one two blocks from my house but they closed it even though it did over a million a year because it didn't meet their latest market model.

It was sad to watch the scrappers cut up all of those cars but that's life. They were very efficient and while talking to them, I got some great insights into their business. Gotta look at every experience as a learning experience.

Later and Happy Holidays to you and yours!
Mr. Ed  

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Dec 20th, 2005, 10:37pm »

Ed,
   I can't fault you on your comment on learning experiences.  My belief is that if you do not learn from a negative experience and right it, you will be doomed to repeat it over and over again.  The other maybe angst from reliving it and not getting anything positive at all.
   I've been reading more of the "High Line" chronicalling thes branch line.  Though the issues are more than 15 years old, the magazine still accomplishes what it was set out to do, inform the reader.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  24 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »