Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 20th, 2017, 5:01am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  14 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania  (Read 7522 times)
gp80mac
Historian
Re: Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania

« Reply #40 on: Aug 30th, 2005, 10:14pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Aug 16th, 2005, 4:00am, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I agree! Someone is out to lunch on this one. If something has to be outside then it should be stock and diesels. Freight and passenger cars would hold up better outside compared to a steamer. Even when steam was king only the engines went to the roundhouses, cars stayed outside. It seems like common sense imho...

Jim...  

Hold on now....

There are alot of factors in deciding who can have space under the roof.  But remember, that rolling stock hall isn't climate controlled, so there isn't too much difference being inside vs. outside, as far as humidity and temperature is concerned.

Now I'm not associated with the RRMPA, but I see some flaws in the common sense slaw in this thread...

The museum has the job of preserving PA RRing history.  That can not be done with steam locomotives alone.  Other examples of RRing must be preserved.  Hence, resotored diesels and stock that are sitting inside.  

Diesels:  it makes no sense to spend X amount of dollars to have a locomotive professionally painted and then leave it outside, so in a year it will once again look like crap. That's why those diesels are inside.  

Coaches:  Those coaches have interiors, and the ones inside have pretty decent interiors.  Leaving them outside (especially the wooden ones) would destroy them.  When those coaches were active in the RR world, their owners only expected them to function for a limited time, and with regular maintenance at that.  A museum, on the other hand, expects them to last forever with limited attention and maintenance. So comparing a museum to the PRR of yesteryear is apples and oranges.  

Freight cars: first, take a look at that flat car that has been previously mentioned.  It has original PRR markings.  All those assorted markings on the side tell a story of its life. So, having it inside preserves them for future study...and it is nice to see something real, not recreated. The other freight cars have been selected to be preserved inside.  

Ideally, everything would be preserved indoors.  But this is not an ideal world, and money isn't found in potholes.  But you do have to admire the amount of their collection which *is* indoors.  That is no small accomplishment.  

~ gp80mac ~

All of my posts are my opinion ONLY, and do not reflect the opinion of any company, railroad, organization, or other person.
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #41 on: Sep 16th, 2005, 3:04pm »

I agree that you do need to prioritize your limited budget for retoration and storage. So to that end, when the opportunity arises to get an outside, unrestored, piece of equipment to an organization that intends to restore, an in case of the steam engine, run excursion runs, it defies logic to turn down that request. But that is exactly what the museum has done for no other reason than greed. "It's my train and you can't have it!"

There are two steamers in the museum, #460 the Lindbergh engine and #5331. #460 has been cosmetically restored and put on display with a modified baggage car in an effort to show the consist as it appeared when it ran undeveloped news film from Washington DC to NY city to show that trains could perform that task better than an airplane. In the baggage car they developed the film so that when they arrived in the city it was ready to go on the projector at the theater.

#5331 is sitting outside as it has been since its arrival.

Both of these steamers worked out of the Pemberton NJ yard. #460 did so for a short period of time at the end of it's life but the #5331 worked a great deal of it's life out of the yard. Imagine how surprised the folks at the Pemberton Township Historic Trust were to find out that both engines were still around! A request was made to the museum to reaquire either or both of the engines and it was denied. In the museums eyes it would be better to have #5331 rust away than get it somewhere to be restored because "It's my train!"

Later!
Mr. Ed  

rob216
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Sep 19th, 2005, 3:02pm »

The last time I was up at the museum (Sept. 16)  and for the past several months, maybe longer,  #460 has been sitting outside in the yard.

« Last Edit: Sep 20th, 2005, 4:45pm by rob216 » Logged

My opinion is just that, my opinion and in no way represents the company I work with.

Moderator: Short lines, Eastern Pennsylvania
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Sep 19th, 2005, 4:20pm »

I went on their website a couple of weeks ago and they have a picture of it inside with the famous consist.

Later!
Mr. Ed  

S.S.T.S. 6464
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #44 on: Oct 12th, 2005, 8:42pm »

Here's a link to a picture I took on monday at the museum
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=121757&PHPSESSID=ffb72aef2f2779d713da2f8cc3db70d4
and I will post some others I took, at a later date.

West Chester Railroad www.westchesterrr.net
-The Route of the Flying Turkeys!
I lay my head on the railroad tracks, to wait for the double E,
the railroad don't run no more. Poor Poor pitiful me! -Warren Zevon
rail pacer
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #45 on: Mar 22nd, 2006, 6:48pm »

What are they doing at the Museum currently? They have orange construction fence up all over the place and have a backhoe there. It looks to me like they may be extending the yard around to the front of the building. Any ideas?

http://community.webshots.com/user/RR_Photographer

"And what does this have to do with the price of tea in New Mexico?!"
Strasburg_fan
Former Member

« Reply #46 on: Mar 24th, 2006, 1:11pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Mar 22nd, 2006, 6:48pm, RN_addict wrote:       (Click here for original message)
What are they doing at the Museum currently? They have orange construction fence up all over the place and have a backhoe there. It looks to me like they may be extending the yard around to the front of the building. Any ideas?

I believe they are currently working on the renovations to the front entrance. I'll have to go down there soon and check it out for myself, just to be sure.

-Chris

rob216
Historian

« Reply #47 on: Mar 27th, 2006, 6:56pm »

I was woundering that myself as to what was going on.  I was up there about a week ago and noticed all of it going on.  just forgot to post and ask.

My opinion is just that, my opinion and in no way represents the company I work with.

Moderator: Short lines, Eastern Pennsylvania
Strasburg_fan
Former Member
  apr06_017.jpg - 92966 Bytes
« Reply #48 on: Apr 6th, 2006, 8:12pm »

Today I dropped by the museum to take a peek at the locomotives and railroad cars on display in the Railroaders' Hall. It's always a treat to see these superbly maintained pieces of equipment on display, even during repeat visits. A shame that even the best of cameras can find it difficult to adjust to the extreme lighting conditions near the large window panes at the end of the museum.

(Wonder if one could ever see the highly acclaimed #7002 and lowly yard switcher #94 side-by-side back in the days of steam!)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/apr06_017.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Strasburg_fan
Former Member
  apr06_014.jpg - 112835 Bytes
« Reply #49 on: Apr 6th, 2006, 8:19pm »

A view like no other! Not only can you inspect old #1187 from underneath, but also from above!

A big thank you to the volunteers of the museum for doing such a wonderful job keeping everything in top-notch condition. Hope you enjoyed my mini photo essay as much as I enjoyed being there!

-Chris

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/apr06_014.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2006, 11:23pm by strasburg475 » Logged
90Fan
Historian

« Reply #50 on: Apr 6th, 2006, 10:25pm »

Are 1223 and 7002 across from each other now? Judging by the first pic, 7002 is facing right across from 1223's spot.

IMHO, this thread would fit much better on the Strasburg Railroad Board .

I'm ba-ack....for now, anyway.
Adam17
Former Member

« Reply #51 on: Apr 6th, 2006, 10:31pm »

I don't know about anyone here, but I have never had a bad experience at Strasburg. Whether I'm riding behing 90, or take a good look at ol'1223, it's always a good trip. I love the museum, and plus, I got my Conrail shirt from their fine gift store. I must say, the RRMPA does a great job keep thier equipment looking good.  

Strasburg_fan
Former Member

« Reply #52 on: Apr 6th, 2006, 11:14pm »

on Apr 6th, 2006, 10:25pm, 90Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Are 1223 and 7002 across from each other now? Judging by the first pic, 7002 is facing right across from 1223's spot.

That is correct! They have been in that position for quite awhile now.
Quote:
IMHO, this thread would fit much better on the Strasburg Railroad Board .

Well technically, yes, but after all, the museum and the railroad are two separate institutions, even though they're only across the street from each other.

Adam17
Former Member

« Reply #53 on: Apr 7th, 2006, 9:43am »

No, I believe that this belongs here. The RRMPA is different from the SRC, in that they don't run trains. They also do business differently too. I say, keep it here.

Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #54 on: Apr 7th, 2006, 11:42am »

Back in the early '80s, I had one of my bosses in for customer visits in the Lancaster, Harrisburg area. We were early so I stopped by the museum took him into the pit, and he stood there describing by name all of the components. Surprised the heck out of me. Turns out he is a railfan! Scored big points that day!

Later!
Mr. Ed  

joneau261
Historian
  P1010207_1830x1369.jpg - 266552 Bytes
« Reply #55 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 1:55pm »

Guess the engine!  

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (266552 bytes, 1830x1369 pixels)

Click Here to View Image P1010207_1830x1369.jpg - 266552 Bytes

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
joneau261
Historian
  P1010208_1830x1369.jpg - 260240 Bytes
« Reply #56 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 1:56pm »

I never would have guessed that a Conrail diesal would be in a musuem

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (260240 bytes, 1830x1369 pixels)

Click Here to View Image P1010208_1830x1369.jpg - 260240 Bytes

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
joneau261
Historian
  P1010211_1830x1369.jpg - 234725 Bytes
« Reply #57 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 1:58pm »

PRR 2-8-0 #7656

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (234725 bytes, 1830x1369 pixels)

Click Here to View Image P1010211_1830x1369.jpg - 234725 Bytes

joneau261
Historian
  P1010214_1830x1369.jpg - 140723 Bytes
« Reply #58 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 2:00pm »

Anybody know anything about this plow?

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (140723 bytes, 1830x1369 pixels)

Click Here to View Image P1010214_1830x1369.jpg - 140723 Bytes

joneau261
Historian
  P1010217_1647x1232.jpg - 221814 Bytes
« Reply #59 on: Apr 11th, 2006, 2:01pm »

Amtrak 603 and GG1 4800

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (221814 bytes, 1647x1232 pixels)

Click Here to View Image P1010217_1647x1232.jpg - 221814 Bytes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  14 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »