Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 15th, 2017, 9:13am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania  (Read 7526 times)
rob216
Historian
Re: Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania

« Reply #240 on: Oct 15th, 2008, 7:15pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Here is a little something that I just found.

http://www.readingrailroad.org/info/rcths_trips08.pdf

My opinion is just that, my opinion and in no way represents the company I work with.

Moderator: Short lines, Eastern Pennsylvania
Espee9180
Historian
  7002.jpg - 45829 Bytes
« Reply #241 on: Jun 1st, 2009, 1:57pm »

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/7002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Espee9180
Historian
  1223.jpg - 46222 Bytes
« Reply #242 on: Jun 1st, 2009, 1:57pm »

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/1223.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Espee9180
Historian
  locomotives.jpg - 44869 Bytes
« Reply #243 on: Jun 1st, 2009, 1:58pm »

Locomotives sitting outside

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/locomotives.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Espee9180
Historian
  ns_units.jpg - 41797 Bytes
« Reply #244 on: Jun 1st, 2009, 1:59pm »

Norfolk Southern Locomotives.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/ns_units.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #245 on: Jun 2nd, 2009, 4:04pm »

on Jun 1st, 2009, 1:58pm, Espee9180 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Locomotives sitting outside

I love Pennsy locomotives. Looking forward to seeing them again in person.

GP30_5513
Historian

« Reply #246 on: Jun 30th, 2009, 9:46pm »

Well, I was just there today to reserve my spot for the night photoshoot on friday for the 'Reading Days'. When I arrived, I had no idea the woman I was talking to on the phone about the details was none other than a classmate I hadn't seen in 9 years. Funny how life works sometimes.

styckx
Enthusiast

« Reply #247 on: Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:40am »

Alrighty railfans. Here is my collection of pics from my trips in July and August (31st) 2009. Multiple posts a coming!

styckx
Enthusiast

« Reply #248 on: Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:42am »

styckx
Enthusiast

« Reply #249 on: Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:48am »

« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:58am by styckx » Logged
styckx
Enthusiast

« Reply #250 on: Sep 2nd, 2009, 12:52am »

That's it! Enjoy! I really take a lot of pride in my photography. Sometimes missing visually with my own eyes just to document in photo the best I can. I live being a ran fan through a view finder. So please, be respectful and ask permission if you need to use any of my photos.  

Thanks! Bill

« Last Edit: Sep 2nd, 2009, 1:15am by styckx » Logged
calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #251 on: Sep 3rd, 2009, 4:11pm »

You should take pride in your photography because it is awsome! These are some of the best pictures I've ever seen come out of the dark museum!
Really like the one of 1223

Brett

The B&O Fab Four
styckx
Enthusiast

« Reply #252 on: Sep 3rd, 2009, 11:55pm »

Thanks Brett!

Just a tip for anyone shooting in a place lit like that (for me this is how I shoot anywhere basically indoor or out).  

Manual mode, no flash, tripod, understand white balance and shoot in RAW format so you can develop the photos and export them to jpg to look as perfect as possible even if you made a huge mistake.  

A dark place like that with a mix of tungsten, sunlight and shadows takes some patience. Some of those shots were over 1 second exposures. Also make sure you set it on a two second timer before the shot is taken. With long exposures even on a tripod just the movement you make pressing the shutter button could cause enough shake to blur the picture.  

Not trying to act like a know it all, but just trying to help others produce better results for there own photography.  

I'm no where near perfect myself and always learning. There are many situations I'm awful at taking shots in. For every good shot I post, or get for my collection there was probably 5 or more throw aways that will never see the light of day.

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2009, 12:05am by styckx » Logged
Mr._Ed
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #253 on: Sep 4th, 2009, 9:18am »

Great pictures! It has been many many years since I have been there.

But it is sad to see a historic loco like the Lindbergh engine (460) sitting outside. Since it spent many of the last years of it's operational life running out of Camden, maybe it would be better if that engine found a home at a museum on a line it once ran on, like the one in Pemberton Township, NJ.  

Yes, this is a shameless plug by one of it's trustees to get the engine moved. We have discussed this prospect for many years. And when 460 was inside, it was felt that it was getting the respect it deserved. But now it just seems that it is treated like so many other pieces of rolling stock. And I'll bet that the cab door is not closed at night so it is now getting rained into!

Later!
Mr. Ed
Trustee, Pemberton Township Historic Trust

GP30_5513
Historian

« Reply #254 on: Nov 23rd, 2009, 4:18pm »

Unfortunately, due to budget cuts fueled by the down economy, the RRM of PA was forced to layoff nine paid employees last week.

GP30_5513
Historian

« Reply #255 on: May 18th, 2010, 5:24pm »

For anyone who's not aware.... http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/visitors/seasonal/2010PhotoShootsFlyer-Registration.pdf

The RRMofPA will be holding three night photo shoots this year:

- May 21st, 2010 for Conrail Days
- June 4th, 2010 for Pennsy Days
- July 2nd, 2010 for Reading Days

Registration is provided in the above link.

SR4501
Historian

« Reply #256 on: Jun 4th, 2010, 12:50pm »

This was sent to me from a friend

News for Immediate Release
June 3, 2010
Governor Rendell Releases $5 Million for Major Improvements at Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania
Project Will Help Boost Tourism, Preserve State’s Railroad History
Harrisburg – Governor Edward G. Rendell today announced the release of $5 million in state funds for major improvements at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Strasburg, Lancaster County. This investment of capital funds will help boost Pennsylvania’s tourism industry while preserving the state’s storied railroad history.
Barbara Franco, executive director of the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC), said $500,000 will be used for the design of a 16,000-square-foot roundhouse that incorporates the museum's existing turntable and will be able to house a significant number of the museum’s extensive collection of historic locomotives and rolling stock currently stored outdoors. Many of the locomotives that will be preserved in the new building are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and are among the only surviving examples of their kind. The Governor's Office anticipates releasing an additional $6.1 million for the elements.  
Franco said $4.5 million is allocated for the design, fabrication and installation of new permanent exhibits that examine Pennsylvania's railroading history from its earliest beginnings to the present day. The exhibits will explore the social, economic, and technological history of Pennsylvania railroading, using the museum's collection of artifacts and rolling stock to illustrate the story. Together, the new roundhouse and new exhibits will make the Railroad Museum even more attractive to families and visitors of all ages.  
The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, which opened to the public in 1973, is one of the nation’s premier railroad museums and is among the most visited sites along the Pennsylvania Trail of History.  
The museum is administered by the PHMC with the active support of the Friends of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania. Visit the museum online at www.rrmuseumpa.org.
Media contacts:  
Kirk Wilson, PHMC; 717-783-9882
Gary Tuma, Governor’s Office; 717-783-1116

http://www.rvcmr.org

"I am the thoroughbred of steam- Born to run- Born to be free- Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do!"
Espee9180
Historian

« Reply #257 on: Jun 4th, 2010, 3:07pm »

Some more info.

http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/whatsnew/progress/2010breakthroughs.shtml

This is excellent news for the Museum. Imagine all the locomotives that are outdoors in a nice roundhouse.

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2010, 3:14pm by Espee9180 » Logged
Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #258 on: Jun 4th, 2010, 11:15pm »

Although it's great to hear that they're considering the roundhouse to protect the outdoor engines, I gotta admit, I get a thrill to come driving down Gap Road to see those beautiful locomotives in the sun with the Amish countryside just beyond them.  

Still, the roundhouse would be pretty cool to see.

ozzman4
Chaser

« Reply #259 on: Aug 16th, 2010, 11:32pm »

I am not here to slander the museum in anyway it is just an observation that i had noticed today with my wife(yes she is understanding of my hobby as today was our 2 year anniversary) but while we were outside looking at the rolling stock it appeared to me that the nkp berk is almost too heavy for the peice of track that it is on, it looked like the rail on the engineers side of the engine is starting to bow outwards which could spell disaster, but again i am not sure as i am a railfan with no experience in railroading, just a simple mechanic with keen sense pf observation, of course the camera died so i could not get any pics, sorry, just wondering if anyone else has noticed this.   Also something strange while standing next to the big berk on this hot and humid day there was just a little breeze that didn't help but being next to the berk with the breeze it was actually felt cool, as the cold engine which would generally provide mass amounts of heat in working order, seemed to provide us with a nice cool breeze.
thanks  
Matt

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »