Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 16th, 2017, 6:19pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

B&O RR Museum
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   B&O RR Museum
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: B&O RR Museum  (Read 13872 times)
rail pacer
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: B&O RR Museum

« Reply #520 on: Apr 20th, 2010, 12:39pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Are there any steam days scheduled for this year? Its been about 5 years since I was down to the museum and Id really like to go when they have a steam day.

http://community.webshots.com/user/RR_Photographer

"And what does this have to do with the price of tea in New Mexico?!"
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #521 on: Apr 20th, 2010, 12:56pm »

I'm sure there'll be one, although I'm not sure when.  Its usually around Columbus Day.

BnO_Hendo
Historian
View Profile  

147_Thatcher_Perkins.jpg - 50734 Bytes
« Reply #522 on: May 2nd, 2010, 12:20am »

They used to have them twice a year- April or May and September or October. Now instead in the Spring they have "Thomas the Tank Engine" Weekends (last weekend and this weekend, as a matter of fact)    Ok, they make tons o' money with Thomas weekends- they not only charge admission but train ride tickets as well- but they shouldn't replace Steam Days with it!  

Speaking of steam, though, they recently returned the Thatcher Perkins to the Roundhouse. Like the Memnon and William Mason, she was returned to her original colors, as well as her original number. For almost a century she wore #117, when it turns out her original # was #147. I understand Herb Harwood's son did a fair amount of the restoration work. However, she is not in operating condition.

For info on upcoming B&O train events, check out BORAIL.org.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/147_Thatcher_Perkins.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2010, 12:43am by BnO_Hendo » Logged

Steam Locomotives have a tender behind!
BnO_Hendo
Historian
View Profile  

147_restored_a.jpg - 23472 Bytes
« Reply #523 on: May 2nd, 2010, 12:26am »

Another shot of the #147.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/147_restored_a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Steam Locomotives have a tender behind!
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #524 on: May 28th, 2010, 6:50pm »

There is some talk of the #4 making a surprise appearance on the normal weekday passenger train on some weekdays at the end of June.  I'll let you know when I have a better idea of the details.

BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #525 on: Oct 9th, 2010, 9:18pm »

So the special run didn't happen, but next weekend is Steam Days!  Look for the William Mason to be out, and of course the #4 on the passenger train.  I should be at the throttle of the #4 every other run all weekend.

WH
Former Member

« Reply #526 on: Oct 10th, 2010, 7:59am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Oct 9th, 2010, 9:18pm, BOMX_1200 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
So the special run didn't happen, but next weekend is Steam Days!  Look for the William Mason to be out, and of course the #4 on the passenger train.  I should be at the throttle of the #4 every other run all weekend.

I will be coming down Saturday morning. My very first time seeing a railroad steam locomotive in action in 2 or 3 years.

3254Fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #527 on: Oct 13th, 2010, 2:43pm »

I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer to this, but the first time I was at the museum was in November of 2002. It was Thanksgiving weekend and they were running the SEH tank engine #4. They only run steam one weekend a year now in October (coming up this weekend). Howcome they ran steam on a cold weekend in November with open flatcars in 2002?

Moderates: East Broad Top
WH
Former Member

« Reply #528 on: Oct 13th, 2010, 3:20pm »

on Oct 13th, 2010, 2:43pm, 3254Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer to this, but the first time I was at the museum was in November of 2002. It was Thanksgiving weekend and they were running the SEH tank engine #4. They only run steam one weekend a year now in October (coming up this weekend). Howcome they ran steam on a cold weekend in November with open flatcars in 2002?

Likely because:  

A) I believe it was prior to the donation of the current MARC cars
B) It was during a special event
C) The engine had just finished its first restoration a few months prior so I bet they were still showing it off and having fun with it.  

Don't quote me however....

BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #529 on: Oct 17th, 2010, 8:12pm »

WH has it right.  We didn't yet have the MARC coaches and the home built open cars were the only thing we had that would carry enough passengers.  The restoration had just been finished and it was a chance to show it off.  As much as I'd like, we couldn't run it now during the Holiday Festival of Trains due to the volume of people we now have.  We need to run the train every half hour and that's just not possible with the #4.

WH
Former Member

« Reply #530 on: Oct 18th, 2010, 9:39am »

Just wanted to thank you all for a nice afternoon yesterday. I was on a pretty tight time constraint (I really shouldn't have come) but for someone like me who only gets to see a live steam locomotive one or two weekends every 2-5 years, it was a treat.

The_Former_Fireman
Railfan
  5-2.jpg - 80631 Bytes
« Reply #531 on: Oct 20th, 2010, 2:01pm »

Sunday 10/18 at the B&O Museum. Some of America's oldest (B&O 25 the 4-4-0) and youngest (#4 the tank engine) steam power in operation. The B&O museum run is a tough operation to shoot. Locomotives face north east on a line that runs southwest to northeast through one of the single worst neighborhoods in the US. As one volunteer put it "It's a historic mile, not necessarily scenic one". Still worth the visit for the operating units and the museum. Wish they ran the 4 more than once a year!  

Dave Crosby
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/5-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

The_Former_Fireman
Railfan
  6-3.jpg - 71561 Bytes
« Reply #532 on: Oct 20th, 2010, 2:02pm »

The B&O 25

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/6-3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

WH
Former Member

« Reply #533 on: Jan 2nd, 2011, 8:03pm »

Another B&O Museum show with the National Capital Trackers is in the books. I just wanted to take the time to thank the museum for a wonderful week. Special thanks to Chris and Owen for the cab rides in the 1200. If you folks are ever in the Rockville area and find yourselves near Cabin John Park in the summer, stop in and I'll return the favor on our two foot gauge equipment. Also thanks to Leon for not only putting air in my (extremely) low back left tire but giving me the grand tour of the shop. I had the privilege to see some of the stuff the museum tends to keep hidden away such as the Camel looking mighty fine once again. A quality restoration right there. Also, I got to see a B&O GP30, the Chessie GP38, The Pioneer undergoing work for the Smithsonian, St. Elizabeth #4, William Mason, and the AJ Cromwell awaiting restoration.  

Just wanted to take the time to thank the folks at the museum for another enjoyable week. Will see you all next Christmas if I don't happen to visit earlier!

Thanks guys!  

Matt
National Capital Trackers

bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #534 on: Jan 5th, 2011, 10:51am »

Quick question - I've tried to look on the MTA website, but have been un-successful - are there any metro/MTA stops close to the B&O museum?  Within a safe walking distance, I mean.  My wife is not too keen on my driving down into the city and parking there - is that area safe to park?  Any help you can give is great!

BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #535 on: Sep 27th, 2011, 8:45am »

Just a heads up, this years steam days (on Sat and Sun of Columbus Day wknd) will be a little different.  The Mason will be running out of the shop on the West end, with a Civil War Encampment near Mt Claire, and the #4 and its train will be stopping at the Mt Claire platform to allow passengers to get off the train and check things out.  So runby shots will be possible for both engines.  The #4 also sports a new whistle borrowed from the Clinchfield #1, sounds MUCH better.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

BO_600_small.jpg - 179606 Bytes
« Reply #536 on: Sep 6th, 2015, 9:10pm »

It has been a while since we had an update. #600, J C Davis, has been returned to the roundhouse. Looks better then I have ever seen. I think this is the last of the locomotives to be repaired from the roof collapse of 2003.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/BO_600_small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
hutton_switch
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #537 on: Sep 7th, 2015, 10:03am »

CHESSIEMIKE,

Yes, the Museum officially said that it was the last of the damaged locomotives to be repaired from the 2003 roof collapse.  Also, their functional GP30, which originally was a B&O locomotive, was repainted into the original factory paint scheme, the "Sunburst".

Now, they can go on to other projects, such as either restoring B&O 4500, 5300, or another of the locomotives under cover in the facility (I forget its name) adjacent to the roundhouse itself.  It remains for the Museum to announce what their restoration priorities will be, as well as a timetable for whatever they decide to take on.

Wade Rice
Member, B&O RR Historical Society
http://www.borhs.org
Daniel Willard (1860-1942) and Jervis Langdon, Jr. (1905-2004) - Two of B&O's best presidents and managers!
President Leonor Loree (1858-1940) brought the B&O into the 20th century!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »