Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 15th, 2017, 9:12am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

B&O RR Museum
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   B&O RR Museum
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: B&O RR Museum  (Read 13907 times)
martinm1218
Historian
Re: B&O RR Museum

« Reply #500 on: Oct 19th, 2009, 10:08pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Did anyone go to Steam Days? I wish I could've been able to go. Was it a success?

N&W 611 and 1218: The Thoroughbreds of steam.

I also enjoy the NKP, Southern, and VGN.
Here is a link to my youtube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/m611martin
WH
Former Member

« Reply #501 on: Oct 20th, 2009, 6:13am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I did not attend in person but thanks to Youtube I got to see some action.

It was very rainy for the fall steam days where the #4 pulled the Marc heritage cars and the B&O #13 (Lafayette replica) was on run-by duties. I noticed the Lafayette didn't have the Imlay coaches with her. My guess is the crews didn't want those cars with the fabric and all out in the rain.  

I did notice the Lafayette "shoots" steam out of what looks like the throttle/throttle passages or in that area. Last time I saw the Lafayette run (a good 4 years ago), I don't recall the engine do that. What was it?

Also, with the Santa arrival festivities coming up next month, will steam be run? I know it is a bit early but since I'm posting now, I thought I'd ask.  

Thanks.

WH
Former Member

« Reply #502 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 2:33pm »

It was reported on another forum by someone who recently visited the museum that the Tom Thumb recently failed a boiler test and is at a secret location under going steam testing. This person also stated that no one (including Courtney Wilson) is allowed to see the engine at this "secret" location.  

Any truth to this one? It smells fishy to me...

« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2009, 2:42pm by WH » Logged
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #503 on: Nov 17th, 2009, 8:31am »

Good Lord, gotta love the rumor mill.... The Tom Thumb is at the restoration shop undergoing its annual inspection.  I walked by it this weekend.  I don't believe the tests have begun yet, so its hard to fail a test you haven't taken.

BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #504 on: Nov 17th, 2009, 8:37am »

BTW, What site was that info on?  

To answer earlier questions (sorry, my regular job has kept me very busy lately) the steam you see "shooting out" must be the safety valves which are located on top of the firebox dome.  She did seem to want to run a little hotter this year, which meant more popping off.

1200 will be heading the North Pole Extra on the day after Thanksgiving.  While no steam, it does mean that I get to resume my duties as the OESC (Official Engineer of Santa Claus).  Its a long trip to the North Pole and the Tom Thumb needed to stop too often for water last year

shayfan
Historian

« Reply #505 on: Nov 17th, 2009, 11:01am »

on Nov 12th, 2009, 2:33pm, WH wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It was reported on another forum by someone who recently visited the museum that the Tom Thumb recently failed a boiler test and is at a secret location under going steam testing. This person also stated that no one (including Courtney Wilson) is allowed to see the engine at this "secret" location.  

Any truth to this one? It smells fishy to me...

Man, who knew the steam business was so secretive. I bet its at Area 51, yeah thats it!

Walter Scriptunas II
Climax S/N #1551 restoration volunteer
Photographer
www.scriptunasimages.com
WH
Former Member

« Reply #506 on: Nov 17th, 2009, 3:41pm »

Thanks for the info BOMX. I figured it was BS but I thought what the hell and asked anyway.  

I follow the O-gauge Railroading Magazine "Real Trains" section of their forum. Many "higher-ups" in steam post there such as Rich Melvin (NKP 765), A guy from NS, A guy involved with the UP steam program, etc.  

As you said it, gotta love the rumor mill!  

Have a great Thanksgiving.

WH
Former Member
  DSC04169_777x583.jpg - 89039 Bytes
« Reply #507 on: Jan 1st, 2010, 5:09pm »

I made a visit to the museum to run trains on my modular club layout and see the real stuff on Tuesday. I would like to thank the museum for being so generous to those who come and setup during the holiday season. I enjoyed the free train ride and while I didn't eat lunch at the museum, I appreciate the museum giving those who set up a small discount.  

Anyway, I do have photos of most (but not every) piece of equipment on the property in addition to the National Capital Trackers, BANTRAK, MTH Electric Trains, and the museum's G-gauge layout. If there is interest, I can post some photos.  

I do have a question. I was checking out the new 0-4-0 in the roundhouse and it is very evident that it is in beautiful cosmetic shape. She looks brand new really! Has there been any mechanical analysis done on the engine? It would be something to see it double-heading with the #4 someday.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/DSC04169_777x583.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2010, 5:10pm by WH » Logged
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #508 on: Jan 5th, 2010, 8:25am »

The new 0-4-0 is actually a fireless engine.  Since we don't have a source of superheated steam/water I don't think she'll be run.  A lot of people suggest compressed air, which is enough to get you a few hundred feet in between charges, so its pretty much static display.

WH
Former Member

« Reply #509 on: Jan 5th, 2010, 5:26pm »

BOMX,

Thanks for the reply. Thanks for also catching my typo as I forgot to put the "F" at the end of 0-4-0. I knew it was a fireless but mistakes happen.  

BTW, I'm a long time member of this site (with a different user name) and remember chatting with you on the Mason the last time I was at Steam Days. I believe you were the engineer for the excursion that some club friends and I took last Tuesday on the 3:30 run with the 1200 providing power. It was an enjoyable trip as always. The train crew was joking with us that we didn't have a ticket with due to the free ride given to us volunteers and that we would have to clean to toliets out. I told them I would clean and run the steamers for you guys when you run them again. If you need someone, let me know!

BnO_Hendo
Historian
View Profile  

117_Thatcher_Perkins_a_postcard.jpg - 80462 Bytes
« Reply #510 on: Mar 5th, 2010, 8:55pm »

I got an email stating that yet another engine has made it through the restoration process and will soon be back on display. The Thatcher Perkins, #117, will be unveiled in a special ceremony on March 13, 2010.

It is nothing short of miraculous the way the museum has come back from the devastating roof collapse of years ago. And in typical silver lining fashion, not only are these fine old ladies of steam being returned to "like new" condition, but the newly rebuilt roof was able to withstand Baltimore's record February snowfall. I only wish there was some way to get all of the museum's priceless artifacts under cover. Some are really showing wear from the exposure to the elements.  

I think the B&O Museum has one of the largest stables of pre-1900 locomotives anywhere, and now another B&O Classic returns to the Roundhouse.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/117_Thatcher_Perkins_a_postcard.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Steam Locomotives have a tender behind!
martinm1218
Historian

« Reply #511 on: Mar 6th, 2010, 10:16pm »

That is so great that the Thatcher Perkins will be returning to display, all nice and restored.  

What other locomotives and equipment are under repairs from the roundhouse collapse?

Martin

3254Fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #512 on: Mar 7th, 2010, 1:40am »

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the camelback #217, the 2-8-0 AJ Cromwell and the 2-6-0 #600 are the three classic steamers that still need restoration. I'm not sure what order they'll be done in. Great to hear about the #117 though. I got to see the Memnon after that was revealed two years ago. Their restoration crews do a spectacular job!

Moderates: East Broad Top
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #513 on: Mar 16th, 2010, 12:30pm »

The guys do some amazing work.  Thatcher Perkins has lost the name and been renumbered to its original 147.  The 217 Camel has already begun her restoration.  The JC Davis #600 and the #545 Cromwell still remain to be restored.

martinm1218
Historian

« Reply #514 on: Mar 20th, 2010, 8:34pm »

I'm hoping to come to Baltimore sometime this year, especially to see the rebuilt equipment.  

I ckecked the museum's website and they don't have a date for Steam Days. Are they still planning on doing it this year?    

Martin

WH
Former Member

« Reply #515 on: Mar 20th, 2010, 8:37pm »

on Mar 16th, 2010, 12:30pm, BOMX_1200 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The guys do some amazing work.  Thatcher Perkins has lost the name and been renumbered to its original 147.  The 217 Camel has already begun her restoration.  The JC Davis #600 and the #545 Cromwell still remain to be restored.

Amen brother! Have yet to see the locomotive in person but from the photos I've seen, I looks brand new. Just beautiful! I want to congratulate you gentleman on a job well done. You guys do some amazing work. Can't wait to see the others when the time comes!

BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #516 on: Mar 22nd, 2010, 12:38pm »

I'm sure there'll be at least one steam days weekend.  Most likely in October, either the week after or on Columbus Day.  I haven't really looked that far ahead yet, but I'll see what I can find out.

3254Fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #517 on: Mar 22nd, 2010, 1:54pm »

Howcome Thatcher Perkins will no longer go by that name and just its number?

Moderates: East Broad Top
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #518 on: Mar 22nd, 2010, 2:46pm »

That name and number are not original to the locomotive, they were only given to it in the 1890s when it became part of the B&O's PR/historical fleet.  It was numbered 147 when built and carried that number through the civil war which is the paint scheme it was put in.

BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #519 on: Apr 19th, 2010, 10:23pm »

Thomas will be with us for the next few weekends.  It will be the replica again.  1200 has been down with a minor issue, not sure whether she'll be on the west end or the 3802, which we've been using for the last few weeks.

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »