Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 11:51am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

B&O RR Museum
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   B&O RR Museum
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: B&O RR Museum  (Read 13931 times)
calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

Re: B&O RR Museum

« Reply #460 on: Apr 17th, 2009, 4:30pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I'm glad you liked the photo's. So how did they get the WMSR cars down to the Museum? How many cars did you guys rent? Here's a link to a picture of Steam Thomas Train at the B&O  for those interested http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=200707050501343693.jpg&order=byrail&page=25&key=B%26O%20Railroad%20Museum

The dark ages were right! The B&O only had one full time coach for excursiton service. It would be  this car I believe http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=2007123106185221664.jpg&order=byrail&page=22&key=B%26O%20Railroad%20Museum I liked this car, put I don't know if it were it came from. The cool thing though was that along with this car one or two original B&O cars would be open for you to ride in as well. Here's a pic of the pre-roundhouse colapse excurstion train. http://naphotos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo=20081123131614746.jpg&order=byrail&page=19&key=B%26O%20Railroad%20Museum

Brett

The B&O Fab Four
BnO_Hendo
Historian
View Profile  

1-_20090426-_thomas_the_tank_engine_03.jpg - 64083 Bytes
« Reply #461 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 9:57pm »

Ah, Cal, you were there today, too? I was at ground level near the old tender shop.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/1-_20090426-_thomas_the_tank_engine_03.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Steam Locomotives have a tender behind!
BnO_Hendo
Historian
View Profile  

1-_20090426-_thomas_the_tank_engine_01.jpg - 67947 Bytes
« Reply #462 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 10:00pm »

Hey- yours has cylinders and real smoke! Are there 2 Thomases? This one looked like a slug, actually. Like it was being pushed along with the train.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/1-_20090426-_thomas_the_tank_engine_01.jpg
Click Image to Resize

BnO_Hendo
Historian
View Profile  

Thomas_2.jpg - 32215 Bytes
« Reply #463 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 10:02pm »

Here- I resized Cal's photo for comparision. I don't think we have a match here! I think I have a Thomas stand-in...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/Thomas_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2009, 10:04pm by BnO_Hendo » Logged

calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #464 on: Apr 30th, 2009, 7:28pm »

Unforunatly that picture I linked to is not mine. Please look on the previous page for my pics of Thomas in the past.

There are, believe it or not, six thomas's owned by HIT entertainment.  
Three are standard guage dummies (the one in your pic BnO_Hendo) equiped only with air Whistles, brakes, and a smokemachine. They are all unable of movement. There is also two Narrow Guage Dummies, a 2ft and 3ft that are basicly little brothers of the standard gaugers.  

Then there is the one in the picture from the bridge and in my pic next to the carshop that handled DOWT at the B&O 2000-2002. It is actually ex-BEDT 0-6-0 Porter #15. Its part owned by the Strasburg Railroad and is kept there when its not on the road.

Brett

The B&O Fab Four
BnO_Hendo
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #465 on: Apr 30th, 2009, 9:43pm »

Thanks, Cal. I noticed on YouTube there is a Thomas at the Green Valley or Green something or other railroad that matches the one in your photo. Taken the same weekend as the "Day out with Thomas" at the B&O Museum. Guess we weren't lucky enough to get the one that works. Course the kids won't know the difference.

BnO_Hendo
Historian
View Profile  

25_Civil_War_Days_adj.jpg - 26426 Bytes
« Reply #466 on: Apr 30th, 2009, 9:58pm »

Quote:
Personally I think painting it green was a good call. Quote:
[/quote]
[quote]

I have to disagree kindly there, gentlemen. I loved the William Mason's old robin's egg blue with Indian Red paint scheme. However, I was at a talk by curator Courtney Wilson, and he said that when they restored her they found some of the original paint, and it was green. So that's the color they put her back as.

As long as the 1873 Camel doesn't come out green, I'll be happy.  

My photo from 1999 of the old scheme on the Mason, taken at a "Civil War Days" event.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/25_Civil_War_Days_adj.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2009, 10:03pm by BnO_Hendo » Logged

WH
Former Member

« Reply #467 on: May 8th, 2009, 4:08pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I've been hearing a rumor that MARC will be donating a diesel locomotive from their fleet to the B&O Museum as their new diesels are now arriving on the property .

Anyone hear this and is there any truth to the rumor?

martinm1218
Historian

« Reply #468 on: Jun 14th, 2009, 1:00pm »

Hey Everyone,

Will Steam Days be run again this year? If so will the open cars be used with the St. Elizabeth? I liked the air conditioned cars last year, but I would like to ride in the open cars behind the engine to record the sounds of its exhaust and whistle.  

Thanks.

N&W 611 and 1218: The Thoroughbreds of steam.

I also enjoy the NKP, Southern, and VGN.
Here is a link to my youtube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/m611martin
Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #469 on: Jun 15th, 2009, 3:22pm »

I'm going to visit the museum for the first time in almost 10 years around July 7th. Looking forward to seeing the Mason and Lafayette, I'll probably post some pics.

I'm also going to try to make it to Steam Days this year. Does anyone know the exact date of the event?

WH
Former Member

« Reply #470 on: Jun 15th, 2009, 3:41pm »

Steam days are October 17 &18 this year.  

Last I heard the open cars need MAJOR work to get them back into track worthy shape and while I'm not "in the know" I wouldn't be surprised if the MARC heritage fleet is used again this year.

Man With No Name - I wouldn't get too excited about seeing the Mason. During the summer months, she is usually in the shops getting her annual inspection. Usually in mid-August, she makes an appearance under steam for test runs. She may be in the roundhouse at the time of your visit but going on what has happened in the past, don't count on it. I believe the last time I was at the museum, the Lafayette was no where to be found as well. If you take the train ride, sit on the right side of the train (the north side I believe) and when you go past the shops, the doors may be open and you may be able to catch a quick glimpse inside the shop.

Enjoy your visit.

Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #471 on: Jun 15th, 2009, 4:41pm »

on Jun 15th, 2009, 3:41pm, WH wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Man With No Name - I wouldn't get too excited about seeing the Mason. During the summer months, she is usually in the shops getting her annual inspection. Usually in mid-August, she makes an appearance under steam for test runs. She may be in the roundhouse at the time of your visit but going on what has happened in the past, don't count on it. I believe the last time I was at the museum, the Lafayette was no where to be found as well. If you take the train ride, sit on the right side of the train (the north side I believe) and when you go past the shops, the doors may be open and you may be able to catch a quick glimpse inside the shop.

Enjoy your visit.

Really? They're not on display in the museum? I really hope they are when I'm down there.

Either way I'll enjoy my time down there, thanks.

WH
Former Member

« Reply #472 on: Jun 15th, 2009, 5:23pm »

Don't hold me to it. As I said, I was going on what has happened in the past.  

The Tom Thumb was in the roundhouse last time I was there as she was steamed at Christmas. Her fire was left to die outside then she was pushed back inside.  

Also, I believe over the last few years, the St. Elizabeth tanker has been in the roundhouse in July/August as her annual is usually finished early in the spring. My guess is they need some room in the shop so the toss her in the roundhouse.

Again, don't hold me to the above comments. I'm just going on what has happened over the past few years.

BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #473 on: Jun 17th, 2009, 10:43am »

The Mason most likely will be making its way to the restoration shop for its annual at some point.  WH is right it will most likely be after the beginning of July, but I can't say for sure.  If I find out I'll be sure to post here.  The Laugh-a-lot (Lafayette) will most likely remain in the roundhouse for most of the summer as I believe its annual has been pushed to fallish.  

For steam days I would expect the MARC coaches.  Management doesn't seem to interested in focusing any attention on the open cars right now.

WH
Former Member

« Reply #474 on: Jun 24th, 2009, 10:52pm »

Maybe BOMX can answer this. Last I was at the museum (Christmas time), I noticed a blue Aggregate Industries GP9 (may have been a GP7) down by the shop. I kind of what to say I saw another one on the storage tracks in front of the car shop down by the gate and fence but am not sure as I didn't have a great view from the train and didn't walk around to the other side of the fence at the crossing.

Are these units still at the museum? Are the owned by the museum or are/were they just there for storage/maintenance work? I would like to visit for the car (automobile) show this Sunday but I'm afraid that won't happen due to other commitments. Oh well. Maybe next year.

Thanks.

BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #475 on: Jun 25th, 2009, 9:24am »

The Aggregate GP is just there for storage/maintenance as a favor to someone who helps us out a LOT with our diesels.  BTW #4 will be steamed for her annual tomorrow and should be out on the line for a bit after the passenger train's 1130 run, but you didn't here that from me....

WH
Former Member

« Reply #476 on: Jun 25th, 2009, 3:31pm »

Thanks for the info. If I could, I would take a ride down tomorrow to see steam but unfortunately can't. There is always steam days...

calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #477 on: Jul 22nd, 2009, 9:41am »

Any work being done on 633 the Caboose's or open air cars yet? I really want to see 633 pulling the Mt. Clair  Caboose special again!

Brett

The B&O Fab Four
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #478 on: Jul 22nd, 2009, 1:06pm »

Unfortunately 633 is still sitting in the front yard, far from the oil, water, and a jump start that it would take to get it going again.  I'm hoping for something to happen with it next year though.  I did manage to bring 6405 back to the land of the living, and should have her idling again this Saturday.  I'm trying to convince them to get it blue carded so that we can put it on the train every now and then.   The open cars, or "The Edcela" as the train is known around the museum (named for the Deputy Director at the time that came up with the idea for it) is still sitting next to the restoration shop with no work planned as far as I know.

WH
Former Member

« Reply #479 on: Jul 22nd, 2009, 7:07pm »

Good to hear that the GP was fired up but lemme know when the other toys (SW1 and the GP30(s?) to name a few) are fired up and I'll come visit.

Anything planned for the car shop equipment? Would love to see the Yellowbelly with new paint and looking good.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »