Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 11:46am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

B&O RR Museum
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   B&O RR Museum
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: B&O RR Museum  (Read 13925 times)
BOMX_1200
Chaser
Re: B&O RR Museum

« Reply #420 on: Sep 29th, 2008, 9:25pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Steam Days at the B&O This Weekend October 4th & 5th....St Elizabeth's Hospital #4 will be on the passenger train and will also be on the east end of the train facing the roundhouse!  The Mason will again be on runby duty.

martinm1218
Historian

« Reply #421 on: Oct 5th, 2008, 8:10pm »

I was at SteamDays yesterday and it was fantastic.

Martin

N&W 611 and 1218: The Thoroughbreds of steam.

I also enjoy the NKP, Southern, and VGN.
Here is a link to my youtube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/m611martin
calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #422 on: Oct 28th, 2008, 8:53pm »

Wow it looks like the Museum's steam days was improved this year becasue the changing of the direction of the No. 4 made all the difference! I mean look you great this video of came out of No. 4 and 25 departing the yard.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTPVRAMR19k&feature=channel
PERFECT!

I hope we get to see more improvements made in the future. In my opinion Black Friday weekend you should have the Mt. Clair Holiday Express look like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PqZUPbrfbU
like they did in 2002.

I also hope we can see another ALL Aboard Days coming again. Here is a webpage by a man who visited to the 2002 day. http://www.botecomm.com/bote/rail/borr_museum.html  
Notice all the cool runby's and such. Also all these locomotives have Air Brakes so this most certinly can be done again.  

BOMX_1200 I have a few questions for you?
1. Is the B&O 633 still opperational? Its my favorite Desiel locomotive of all time! It held 1200's current position pre-roundhouse collapse did it not?

2. Is Tom Thumb and Lafayette still operable and will we have anychance of seeing them in the near future.  

3. Why are the open air cars out of service? Will they be back for Thomas?

4. Speeking of Thomas what is the reason for the B&O railroad museum not getting the live steam one anymore. Is it only money?

Brett

The B&O Fab Four
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #423 on: Oct 29th, 2008, 8:58am »

633 is operational although needs some work and a blue card.  I have been told that she will be coming to the restoration shop this spring to be brought up to speed and she will be the 1200's backup (her 8 cylinder engine being much easier on fuel than and of the other operating engines we have most of which are 16 cylinder).

Tom Thumb and Lafayette are still operable and recieve annual inspections.  They aren't run on steam days simply because we don't have enough qualified crews to operate more than 2 steamers easily so we bring out the big favorites.

The open air cars need brake work and a serious reworking of the overall structure.  We used the MARC coaches for Thomas.  As much as I like these cars for Steam Days and Thomas I wouldn't hold your breath to see them in service soon.

As for Thomas the only reason we didn't get the real steam one for 08 was that it was already booked for the dates we wanted.  I was told that we would be trying for it this coming year, although don't quote me on that.

I loved the All Aboard Days events we did just prior to the roof collapse.  I was always the engineer for the cabooose train.  That's why I have such an affinity for the 633.  We spent a lot of time together making a lot of kids smile.  The cabooses also need brake work done and right now pennies are being pinched.  I'll keep pushing for it though.  The big problem with doing the three train thing again is that the run-around (quite necessary to do the runbys) is on the (older) North Main.  At the time we didn't have the South Main which is our current running track.  Once the South Main was finished stored equipment went to the North Main and sits there still.  The North Main needed some work when this happened and now with equipment stored there its much more difficult to get the needed trackwork done...not to mention the money thing again.  Our first priority needs to be to maintain the South Main so that we can continue the train ride.  So that eats up all available time and money right now.

martinm1218
Historian

« Reply #424 on: Oct 29th, 2008, 4:07pm »

I'm glad you liked my video. I had a fun time at Steam Days. It was also the first time I ever saw the St. Elizabeth.

Martin

« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2008, 4:09pm by martinm1218 » Logged

N&W 611 and 1218: The Thoroughbreds of steam.

I also enjoy the NKP, Southern, and VGN.
Here is a link to my youtube videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/m611martin
calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #425 on: Oct 29th, 2008, 10:14pm »

thanks for the quick reply guys! So you were th AMAZING engineer that ran the Caboose train during the 02 All Aboard days. You did a great job. I remember the caboose train went all the way to the very end of the line and we paced the CSX train for a little while! I also remembering the conductor saying when we switched directions "Wow, He actually came to a stop this time and did not through it in foward while we were backing."   Would you have done that Chris I mean BOMX_1200

Brett

The B&O Fab Four
calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #426 on: Apr 11th, 2009, 9:53am »

Looks like the B&O is taking after other Tourist RR in having the Easter Bunny Ride the train. http://www.wbaltv.com/video/19151549/index.html

Day Out with Thomas is approching fast also. Any word BOMX_1200 if it will be Strasburg Thomas (Live Steam) or HIT Entertainment Thomas (Fake).  

Brett

The B&O Fab Four
calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

Old All Abord Day Pictures
  wander.jpg - 50619 Bytes
« Reply #427 on: Apr 12th, 2009, 7:03pm »

I found some old B&O Railroad Museum pics of All Aboard Days and I though I would share them with you guys.

First up is the William Mason (Wander) in 2000

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/wander.jpg
Click Image to Resize

The B&O Fab Four
calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

wandercab.jpg - 70015 Bytes
« Reply #428 on: Apr 12th, 2009, 7:05pm »

A look at the Cab.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/wandercab.jpg
Click Image to Resize

The B&O Fab Four
calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

allbwm.jpg - 56298 Bytes
« Reply #429 on: Apr 12th, 2009, 7:07pm »

The William Mason pulls out from the North Car Shop for a trip on the first mile of track in the U.S.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/allbwm.jpg
Click Image to Resize

The B&O Fab Four
WH
Former Member

« Reply #430 on: Apr 12th, 2009, 7:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Ah, now those were the days.

Would love to see the Mason with a number plate and those flags again. Now, if I were a volunteer or employee at the museum (which I would be doing if distance wasn't a factor), I would put a Maryland state flag on the left side of the engine in addition to the US flag and have them on all the time such as the Lafayette does. I usually visit the museum around once or twice a year and I always see the Lafayette with flags on her.

Last time I saw the tank engine, she had a (sooty & greasy) set of state and US flags on her.

Thank you for that great look back.

« Last Edit: Apr 12th, 2009, 8:03pm by WH » Logged
calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

BOsteamers_576x433.jpg - 59742 Bytes
« Reply #431 on: Apr 12th, 2009, 8:32pm »

I have more coming, but my scanner takes a while. In the mean time hears a photo showing the B&O RR museums four operating steamers.

Brett

Note: William Mason photo used with permisstion from  BC_and_A_railway.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/BOsteamers_576x433.jpg
Click Image to Resize

The B&O Fab Four
Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #432 on: Apr 13th, 2009, 3:10am »

How often do they run the William Mason? I have this odd obsession with 4-4-0 Americans and am dying to see one running again.

WH
Former Member

« Reply #433 on: Apr 13th, 2009, 7:07am »

on Apr 13th, 2009, 3:10am, Man with no Name wrote:       (Click here for original message)
How often do they run the William Mason? I have this odd obsession with 4-4-0 Americans and am dying to see one running again.

Whenever steam operations are. They used to be April and October but now they are only in October with a certain blue tank engine taking spotlight in April. This year they are October 17 & 18 and barring any unforseen mechanical issues, the WM will likely be out in addition to the Porter tanker.

The Mason does usually make an appearance under steam around mid-late August when the boys are finishing up her annual FRA inspection.  

Also, the tank engine was out last week under steam in order to finish the inspection.

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2009, 7:08am by WH » Logged
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #434 on: Apr 13th, 2009, 10:15am »

I believe that we have the hood ornament Thomas this year again (for the love of god don't shoot the messenger.)  Steam days will be as mentioned in October, and given the recent lack of imagination (oops did I say that out loud) it will most likely be a carbon copy of last year.  

I'm working on finding a good set of flags for the Mason although finding the right size and getting them mounted on the right size dowel isn't easy.  

Love the collage Brett that's my favorite pic of the Mason (mainly because I'm an attention lady of the evening and can tell that's me at the throttle)

WH
Former Member

« Reply #435 on: Apr 13th, 2009, 10:26am »

BOMX_1200,

You seem to be a part of the crew at B&O. Can you confirm the tank engine being under steam last week? I rarely get down to the Baltimore area/B&O to visit (as I stated above, about 1-2 times per year and I wish I could visit more often) but when I was there for a ball game last week, I heard a steam whistle coming from the museum but I didn't have time to investigate nor did my company have any interest in driving around looking for a steam engine.

Thanks!

calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

BNO_08B_283.jpg - 44782 Bytes
« Reply #436 on: Apr 13th, 2009, 11:45am »

BOMX_1200 I think I owe you an appology for my temper after you took time to get great info in the past. I will no longer shoot the mesenger so you do not half to worry about that. I would like to know what the lack of imagination comment meant though.  

I'm also wondering now looking at my old pics, what happened to the Wander's antlers, numberplate, thing between driveweels, etc. And for a while I herd that after all Roundhouse collapse stuff is retored the WM will be painted back to red. That true?

Finnally looking around on the MASON DIXON Large Scale Railroad site (yes I know there is many pics of you on that site) I found this pic that I am supprised he didn't here more about.

Brett

Photo from http://www.mdlsrs.com/BNO_08B.html

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/BNO_08B_283.jpg
Click Image to Resize

The B&O Fab Four
WH
Former Member

« Reply #437 on: Apr 13th, 2009, 12:16pm »

I see the Tom Thumb was steamed for Santa! That is the way to bring Santa in, not on some red diesel.

I was there in mid-December for my annual visit at Christmas with my model RR friends and I was quite surprised to see the TT and it's coach at the main access door as opposed to it's "usual" spot near where you first come in to the roundhouse. Upon seeing that, I thought that a steam up was imminent. Now I see I missed it.

I do hope to see the Tom Thumb under steam in the near future (maybe next time they will announce steam at Christmas should they do it again) as she is the only working engine at the museum I haven't see in steam and/or ridden behind yet.

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2009, 12:20pm by WH » Logged
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #438 on: Apr 13th, 2009, 9:48pm »

WH- I'm not sure about the #4 as I'm only in on weekends and I've been helping with a conductor training class lately.  Its entirely possible, although I think it was steamed for its annual back in March.  

Brett- No need for apoligies that comment was made a little toungue in cheek.  Just know that for every decision you guys find frustrating, chances are that I have already been there and lost the battle.  As to the meaning of the other comment I wil leave that to your imagination....   The Mason's "movie make up" is all in storage, and was only added for the movie so once the one year obligation to Warner Bros was up most of it was removed to try to bring it back to a more "working class" look.  I agree about the number plate though.  No decisions have been made one way or another about paint although everyone has their opinions.  I'd love to find another set of Antlers, as those belonged to a former museum employee who took them with him when he left.  

The Tom Thumb Santa thing was advertised slightly before the event on the website (I think), but what's wrong with a red diesel?  Santa always arrives the day after Thanksgiving and I believe something else different is in the works for this year.

WH
Former Member

« Reply #439 on: Apr 13th, 2009, 10:10pm »

The red diesel is one of my favorites at the museum and I must say that it's Reading & Northern heritage is a  BIG plus for me!!!

However, I'm sure everyone can agree that steam and Christmas just go together and I'm happy to see steam making a Christmas appearance once again in Baltimore.

BOMX_1200, thanks for the help. I know the tanker has a high pitched whistle (the term "hooter" comes to mind) and I swear I heard it last week. I want to say that this is the original whistle from her hospital days although I cannot confirm it unless I dig out some B&Ws taken at the hospital in addition to more recent pictures I have.  

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2009, 10:16pm by WH » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »