Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 20th, 2017, 2:18am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

B&O RR Museum
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   B&O RR Museum
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: B&O RR Museum  (Read 13847 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: B&O RR Museum

« Reply #400 on: Oct 8th, 2007, 11:00pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Golly, got to thinking and realized the last time i was in Baltimore with time to visit the Museum as 1973, Lit has happened since then, and that's a fact.

We did recently order something from the museum gift shop as a Christmas present for a young niece - the child's set of Chessie china. The gift shop needs to learn how to pack things being sent by mail - dead lucky it arrived in three pieces, the way it started (plate, cup, saucer). One piece of tissue paper for each piece. Loose in a flimsy box, which was pretty smushed. Yep, lucky. Still, it did make it and we'll repack with proper bubble wrap and maybe some peanuts as well before we  put it in the mail to Greensboro.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #401 on: Oct 9th, 2007, 7:43am »

on Oct 8th, 2007, 11:00pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...The gift shop needs to learn how to pack things being sent by mail - dead lucky it arrived in three pieces, the way it started (plate, cup, saucer). One piece of tissue paper for each piece. Loose in a flimsy box, which was pretty smushed. Yep, lucky. Still, it did make it and we'll repack with proper bubble wrap and maybe some peanuts as well before we  put it in the mail to Greensboro...

Clyde -

Gee, whiz! The shipment, while on its way to you: Packing sounds much like the work of a victim of terminal stage dumb! It's not the flying thru the air on the freighter that's a problem. It's the throwing thru the air at the cargo shed while loading the enroute package cars and trailers that can wreak havoc!

Best to send a critique to the Museum at its website, with tactful suggestions to pack it right, if they are going to pack it at all? As easy as it is to get suitable packing materials, this isn't a difficult issue....

...........................Vern.................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #402 on: Oct 10th, 2007, 7:39pm »

Oh, I will, though I still need to work at being polite on this matter - on top of everything else, there is a pretty hefty shipping and handling charge. I do want to let the museum know how I feel without sounding TOO much like a grumpy old misanthrope (which I've been accused of, as well as being called a curmudgeon - likely with justice)...

calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #403 on: Jan 5th, 2008, 3:00pm »

Thomas is coming to the B&O from April 25-27 and then May 2-4. How is it going to work. departers. Rides. Will it be the live steam thomas or not? What  cars will it pull? BOMX_1200 can you clear this up. also I have an suggestion. Have the 1200 pull the Mount clair caboose special again as it did the year before the Round house collaps. Have it depart from the front of the car shop and then go the same route as the live steam run buys.  
Here is how it would work. Asumming Thomas does his regular 20 minute run.

The Caboose train would leave at 5min till the hour.
Thomas will leave on the Hour.  
Thats just my $0.02

Brett

The B&O Fab Four
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #404 on: Jan 6th, 2008, 10:02pm »

Unfortunately, (and to keep myself out of trouble that's the extent of my opinion on this matter I will mention) the Thomas for our event will not be the live Steam version.  I'm pushing for the caboose train again as I used to run it for the previous events you mentioned, but not sure as things are really tight this year and we will need one crew and diesel just for the Thomas train that we didn't need before.

Berks1083
Railfan

« Reply #405 on: Jan 9th, 2008, 11:26pm »

I remember When I re-joined Cals May 2007, Jim Carpenter said about the b&o museum visits was never going to happen anymore, because of insurance problems  with the museum.

calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #406 on: Jan 13th, 2008, 7:00pm »

WHAT No Live Steam. Why. Isn't The B&O the closest Railroad to strasburg that does a day out with Thomas. They have had th Live steam version all other years beside one. Thats rediculous.

Mad Calslivesteam

Brett

The B&O Fab Four
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #407 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 9:05am »

Dude, don't shoot the messenger.....you're preaching to the choir.

calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #408 on: Jan 17th, 2008, 4:08pm »

I'm Sorry. I just was excited to see the steaming Thomas back in Baltimore. Oh well. It whould still be fun. It have a thought for the runs for day out with thomas.

9699 could do the runs with thomas with the Open Cars I understand and leave from Platform Two. The 1200 could pull 4 cabooses like it does for caboose trains and leave from the front of the car shop.  

Here is a sample day schedule, the operation times are 8am- 6pm  

Thomas Train: 20 minute Ride each goes to CSX conection.  
  8:25am
  9:00am
  9:35am  
10:10am
10:45am
11:20am
11:55am
12:30pm
  1:05pm
  1:40pm
  2:15pm
  2:50pm  
  and then the schedule will continue until 6pm starting over again at 25 after the hour.  

Mt. Clair Caboose Special: Run to the Restoration shop and back 12minute ride
  9:03am
  9:22am
  9:40am  
  9:58am
10:16am
10:34am
10:51am
11:09am
11:26am
11:43am
12noon
12:18pm
12:36pm
12:54pm
  1:11pm
  1:29pm
  1:47pm
  2:04pm
  2:21pm
  2:39pm
  And so on an so forth every 18 minutes.  

This is just an Idea. Comment please.

I also have an Idea to make Steam Days more intrusting.  
Train rides:
St. Elizabith #4 passenger train: 30 minute runs to CSX conection departing from Platform 2  
Mt. Clair Caboose Special pulled by the 1200: 30 minute runs to the CSX conection depating from North Car Shop.  

Here is how runs would work. lets say the runby was done by the Lafayette and the Two Imalay coaches.

now the first part would go as normal. The #4 would leave at on the hour and the runby of the lafayette would happen as usual.

Then when the Lafayette gets back around 15 past the hour. The 1200 would go out and wait on the runby track at the restoration shop for the #4 to pass.  

When the #4 is past the 1200 would then back up off the spur and continue down to the CSX conection. And arrive back at the Museum at 45 past the hour. Then start all over again.  

These are just Ideas to make more out of some of the events.  

What do you think BOMX_1200? and others

Brett

The B&O Fab Four
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #409 on: Jan 18th, 2008, 10:10am »

As I mentioned before, I'm all about the caboose train as that's how I cut my teeth as an engineer there.  I try to persuede the powers that be to run it, but the decision is not mine.  Things are very tight at the museum this year, visitorship was way down last year and the budget suffered.  I believe that the cabooses may have to have the brake valves rebuilt before they could haul passengers and if I'm not mistaken that is close to one grand each that we don't have right now.

As I said I'm working on it from my end, but I'm far from the guy that makes the decisions.  I just pull the throttle.

calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #410 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 9:18pm »

Well Thomas has made it back to the first mile of track in the U.S.A. Anybody go down and see the blue crowd drawer.  

BOMX_1200 hows the event going?

Brett

The B&O Fab Four
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #411 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 8:41am »

Well, after an initial hiccup everything went well this weekend.  On the very first run friday the 1200 suffered an air compressor driveshaft issue that required her to be shut down immediately (and unfortunately on the west end).  SD-35 7402 was fired up and rescued the train as well as stayed on to sub for 1200 for the whole weekend.  After that was resolved the weekend ran flawlessly, large crowds good sales etc.  Fun was had by all although its the slowest I have ever had to run as the Hitt entertainment people inisisted that the train ride be 25 mins.  How do you turn a 15 ride into a 25 min one?  By going very, very, very slowly.  Which combined with everything else made running the train with the 7402 a bit like driving a finish nail with a sledgehammer.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #412 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 4:42pm »

on Apr 29th, 2008, 8:41am, BOMX_1200 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
How do you turn a 15 ride into a 25 min one?  By going very, very, very slowly.  Which combined with everything else made running the train with the 7402 a bit like driving a finish nail with a sledgehammer.
Don't you wish now that the #7402 had hump controls?  
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #413 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 5:02pm »

She has functioning power reduction which is good enough.  But with passenger equipement at that speed you still have to work to control the slack.

joneau261
Historian

« Reply #414 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 11:21am »

on Apr 29th, 2008, 8:41am, BOMX_1200 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
How do you turn a 15 ride into a 25 min one?

Oh, I know another way! Have the Mason perform a runby!

All joking aside, I'm glad to here the DOWT weekend went so well with so many people. Hopefully, people saw more B&O blue than Thomas blue.

Out of curiosity, what cars at the museum are operable? (As in used for the riders)

- Jonathan

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #415 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 10:12pm »

The open cars are currently out of service so we're using all four of our operating MARC heritage coaches one of which has been fitted with a generator.  In general, we have the four coaches mentioned 102,130,143,144, we are storing MARC 1 for the state, we have the five open car set, and four occupiable cabooses.  That's pretty much it for passenger worthy equipement.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

BO_RR_Museum_ticket.jpg - 149600 Bytes
« Reply #416 on: Jul 4th, 2008, 10:46am »

A blast from the past for you. Came across this ticket and thought it might be of interest. Printed on heavy card stock, note the hole punch. Has it been 25 years?  
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/BO_RR_Museum_ticket.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #417 on: Jul 6th, 2008, 1:21pm »

Wow, I wasn't aware that the Clinchfield #1 was ever steamed at the museum especially that late.  Thanks for sharing that.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Clinchfield_1.jpg - 88462 Bytes
« Reply #418 on: Jul 6th, 2008, 5:59pm »

on Jul 6th, 2008, 1:21pm, BOMX_1200 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Wow, I wasn't aware that the Clinchfield #1 was ever steamed at the museum especially that late.  Thanks for sharing that.
Well, if you liked the ticket you should like the photo to go with it.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/Clinchfield_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2008, 6:00pm by CHESSIEMIKE » Logged

BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #419 on: Jul 8th, 2008, 8:58am »

NO WAY!!! That Rocks.  I'll have to show this to all the guys I'm not sure any of them were aware that she ran that late.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »