Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 16th, 2017, 6:12pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

B&O RR Museum
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   B&O RR Museum
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: B&O RR Museum  (Read 13868 times)
90Fan
Historian
Re: B&O RR Museum

« Reply #380 on: May 17th, 2007, 10:14pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I like it Matt. It's a great history of the SEH #4! And it's entertaining as well. One thing that you could fix: structure. It's one huge paragraph and it's kinda hard to read. Maybe seperate it into multiple paragraphs and make it a bit easier on the eyes. That would just be icing on the cake !

I'm ba-ack....for now, anyway.
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #381 on: May 28th, 2007, 8:17pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

This might sound odd but anything that moves. When I say this I mean cars being moved etc.

Anthony

MH765
Historian

« Reply #382 on: May 28th, 2007, 8:21pm »

Perhaps some of the B&O diesels and the CSX Pumpkin Orange unit?

"NS H86, Main Line over!"
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #383 on: May 29th, 2007, 10:07am »

Unfortunately Matt, the Mason and #4 are still in the Restoration Shop undergoing post operating boiler washes and the Mason is having its annual done.  I believe that the '99 is still in the restoration shop as well although maybe the weekday guys will have it out and about.  If I get a chance I'll let you guys know when we bring the steamers back to the roundhouse.

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #384 on: May 29th, 2007, 11:37am »

on May 29th, 2007, 7:44am, Indian_Valley_R.R. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Anthony: The museum probably won't be moving stuff around a whole lot (maybe they will, what do I know) but should there be trains moving, such as the excursion, I'll nail a picture or two. If you want to see the museum moving stuff around, check out their site for the next turntable demo. A friend of mine went and he said it was awesome. They used the turntable to move equipment in and out of the roundhouse AND it was his lucky day. The museum brought the William Mason out of the roundhouse and down to the shops for inspection or something, and The St. Elizabeth was pushed into the Mason's bay.

Thanks Matt. Come to think of it Strasburg restored the William Mason!

http://strasburgrailroad.com/mechanical-restoration.php

Anthony

The mason engine at Groff's Grove

BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #385 on: May 29th, 2007, 2:12pm »

I doubt that the #4 will be back in the roundhouse this week.  Her annual was completed back in March, but a move into the roundhouse is not an easy thing and involves canceling the train ride so usually we try to wait until multiple pieces are ready to move, not to mention matching it up with the scheduled turntable demos.  There are restoration shop tours, but only on the first weekend of each month, which means that Sat and Sun the tours will be offered.  The newly painted GP-40 3684 is in the roundhouse and other equipment shuffled to fill in the blank wedges.

90Fan
Historian

« Reply #386 on: May 31st, 2007, 9:11pm »

Matt, you can never post too many pics. And don't worry, they came out fine !

I'm ba-ack....for now, anyway.
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #387 on: Jun 1st, 2007, 4:02pm »

Nice shots Matt. I really like the look of this museum. It looks like they have a TON of great stuff. I hope I get a chance to visit

Anthony

BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #388 on: Jun 7th, 2007, 8:36am »

PM 11 is still operable.  Right now she does not have batteries or water in her.  It has not been the regular engine for quite some time before the 1200 arrived.  Around 98-99 she was "retired from retirement" due to her age and original 567 "A" Block.  It was decided to take it as easy as possible on it and only run it enough to remain operable.

calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #389 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 11:17am »

O.K. I know this is kind of a month or so late but I finnally got permison to be apart of railfan.net so here we go!  

I am commenting on steam days. Or as I call them the Post Roundhouse callaps steam days. I am going to list some complaints.  

Commplaints:
      I trully miss the old All Aboard Days. They were wonderful. Now me I like veriety and that is exactly what they gave you at the ALL ABOARD DAYS. Their was not just one train ride there was always two or three.   This year there was one and a runby. I mean the runby was cool, but I want to be on the runby. My favorite steam day took place in 1999. The William Mason had it's debute of being back under steam and was hulling a bench fitted gondela and a 4 wheel bober caboose. This train left from the front of the Car shop. The Mount Clair Express was running with 3 B&O cars and the silver Marc train car. It was pulled by the B&O #633 switcher. It left from where the Express leaves from today except the diesal was on the other end of the train facing backwards. Then the Lafeyette replica with the Imaly coaches and the Tom Thumb reblica with the conducters car left from carrol siding middway between the Museum and the CSX conection. Carrol sidding is now gone but it was in front of the Mt. Clair Masion. Here is how the runs went. The Mt. Clair Express would leave first and stop at carrol siding along the way and let the people that wanted to stop and get off and get on the Lafeyette or tom thumb or watch the Civil war gunmmen. Then the Express would leave and go further down the line to the siding at the CSX conection. Then the Mason did the same thing and went on the same siding as the express. Next the tom thumb and Laffeyette would go forward onto the main line. Then back down and pass the Mason and the 633. then the Express would run around the Mason and Pick up it's passengers at Carrol siding and go back to the museum and then the Mason would mimick it. Shortly after that the Tom thumb and Laffeyette would come back to carrol siding. All this passing action I thought was great and you can bet the passing held a lot of whistle wars. I wish They could do that Again

More to come Brett

The B&O Fab Four
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #390 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 11:31am »

Ah, I thought PM 11 was operable, I hope I can see her run one day, she'd look good doing a photo freight or something

The old Steam days sounds wonderful! maybe in the future it'll be back like that.

--------------

The B&O got the grant to restore the All American Locomotive (Aka the Pumpkin) back to her All American Locomotive appearance of 1982.  
http://www.trains.com/trn/default.aspx?c=a&id=2046

Quote:
B&O Railroad Museum gets Trains' $10,000-annual preservation grant

June 12, 2007
WAUKESHA, Wis. - Trains Magazine is pleased to announce that the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum in Baltimore, Md., is the recipient of its $10,000 annual preservation grant. The award will help underwrite the restoration of a significant diesel locomotive in the museum's collection, CSX No. 9699, formerly Baltimore & Ohio 3802, to its 1982 appearance when Trains designated it the "All American Locomotive."

The award recognizes a worthwhile project that is significant in railroad preservation. Trains chose the B&O as the recipient because of the connection between the magazine and the locomotive. At the time, Associate Editor (now Senior Editor) Dave Ingles selected the unit as the most typical from about 26,000 diesels in operation.

"The 3802 was significant 25 years ago because it was so ordinary - it represented the norm of locomotion at the time. Today it is a rarity - a small locomotive (in horsepower and axles) in a world of much bigger trains with typical locomotives today in the 4,000-hp range with six axles. It is important to preserve the engine as it was when it achieved its fame for being plain so we can understand where railroading has been and where it is today," said Jim Wrinn, editor of Trains Magazine.

"This important partnership with Kalmbach Publishing and Trains Magazine will result in the preservation and interpretation of an icon of American railroading. The locomotive B&O No. 3802, a GP38-2, is a cornerstone of the Museum's historic diesel collection and, once restored to its colorful Chessie System livery, will be a real attraction for our visitors from around the world," said Courtney Wilson, executive director of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum.

The CSX No. 9699 locomotive has had a colorful past. Built in 1967 by General Motors in LaGrange, Ill., for the former B&O Railroad, it originally sported the B&O blue color and was numbered 3802. A standard "GP38," it was one of 100 locomotives on order to the B&O and C&O.

When Trains Magazine did a nationwide search in 1982 for what would be considered an "all American locomotive" for its 34th-annual motive power survey, the magazine selected No. 3802. At that time, the locomotive was dressed in Chessie System's color scheme and had logged almost a million miles of service. The magazine presented the locomotive with commemorative plaques to honor the award, and these were attached to the diesel during a small ceremony in Baltimore. When the locomotive was overhauled in West Virginia in 1983, it returned to service, minus the plaques. In 1987 and 1998, the locomotive was repainted and renumbered twice, ultimately sporting the CSX orange maintenance-of-way paint scheme and renumbered No. 9699. When the B&O Railroad Museum acquired the locomotive in 2000, it was as CSX No. 9699.

Trains normally holds a competition for its preservation award, but that will be suspended this year.

« Last Edit: Jun 20th, 2007, 11:34am by BC_and_A_railway » Logged

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #391 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 3:18pm »

Brett I remember the pre-collapse Steam Days and will agree they were pretty special.  Some of the pros from those days will return slowly others are unfortunately gone forever.  I do not believe that we will ever be able to offer rides behind the Mason or any of the engines without air brakes again.  This is a decision that was made based mostly on liability concerns (welcome to the overly litigious 21st century), but also based on the fact that while certain regulatory authorities won't say that you can't do something, they won't tell you that you can either.  With that method if anything were to go wrong they can come in and say "we didn't tell you that you could do that" and we are open to a huge can of worms both as an institution and as individuals.    

With reguards to the number of trains I couldn't agree more.  The main problem right now is Track.  We used to have only one track with a runaround at the west end.  There was a stub track off of the main that was of substantial length and therefore we could store all of the equipment that won't fit inside the gate on that siding, clearing up both the main and the runaround.  Just before the roof collapse that siding was extended all the way to the main line just west of Carey St Bridge and connected on that end forming what we call the "South Main."  The "north main" (older main track) was at this point in not the greatest shape and so the stored equipment was moved to the "North Main" in order to free up the new and therefore in great shape "South Main" for running our regular train.  This now means that we only have one of our two main tracks available and we can only reach the runaround track from the west end making things even more complicated.  This is the main reason that the number of trains we can run is limited.  The other reason of lack of crews will be slowly resolved as more of the newer guys get up to speed.

Rest assured some of us try to push for the most operations we can possibly fit so over time we hope that these events will grow in scope.  Our hands are tied on some of it, and I explain things in detail so that hopefully you will understand.  As far as the Thumb I suspect she will be out before too long goes by, it is not the most operator friendly piece in the collection, but it is very important and we as crews realize that our comfort should not be the concern.

BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #392 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 3:25pm »

BTW this weekend is caboose weekend, look for the 1200 with 4 cabooses with departures every 30 mins, and the 9699 will be substituting for the 1200 on the passenger train.

calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

1181534739485.jpg - 56205 Bytes
« Reply #393 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 1:19pm »

Thanks for telling me about the reason of the swich of tracks BOMX_1200 and can you tell me how the runs are going to work with the Caboose train and the Mt. Clair Express. Where will they depart from? If you could get back to me on that, that would be great .  

Going back to the old ALL ABOARD DAYS. BOMX_1200 can you tell me also why the museum does not get special people to come any more. The Chesapeake & Allegheny Live Steamers were planning on comming and setting up again like they did in the past but sudenly the B&O said we were not allowed to come. I think if we were there offering train rides their would be more steam related activities. I am part of the club and would really enjoy the B&O letting us come again. Here is a pic from our website www.calslivesteam.org of a 1996 steam day event.  

Brett

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/1181534739485.jpg
Click Image to Resize

The B&O Fab Four
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #394 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 1:29pm »

Brett, sorry I didn't have a chance to get back to you before the event.  The trains ran seperately with the Caboose train running every 1/2 hour except when the regular passenger train was out.  Unfortunately I am the wrong person to answer your second question as I only work with rail operations.  I remember the live steamers coming down and it was fun, but I don't have anything to do with planning the events.

MH765
Historian

« Reply #395 on: Aug 15th, 2007, 10:30pm »

I will be in the Baltimore area this weekend after being in Washington, DC and one of the places I am hoping to visit is the museum. If I go there, it'll be the first time in 12 years that I have been there. Does the admission fee cover exploring the yard, or is that free?

Any info would be appreciated.

-Mike

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2007, 10:59pm by MH765 » Logged

"NS H86, Main Line over!"
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #396 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 8:52am »

Looks like steam days (October 6&7) will be a repeat of the spring.  I'll be in the William Mason performing runbys with the #4 doing passenger train duties with the open cars.  Hope to see you there.

calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

DSC05703.jpg - 131746 Bytes
« Reply #397 on: Sep 14th, 2007, 5:21pm »

ATTENTION ALL RAILFANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on down to Baltimore on the weekend of October 6th and 7th for a weekend full of Live steam and Big Steam.

First on Saturday October 6th come on down to Leakin park in Baltimore for the 150th anniversary of of the Winans estate/mansion. For those of you who do not know Ross Winans was instrumental in the development of early railroad technology for the B&O Railroad and built his estate on the grounds of the current Leakin Park where the Chesapeake & Allegheny Live Steamers track is at. There is activities planed on both Saturday and sunday but on saturday members from the Winans family are coming over from Great Britain and we (CALS) have been asked to provide trarin rides for the day from 11-4. So come by and learn some Railroading History while riding on Live Steamers.

Then sunday head on over to the B&O Railroad Museum for steam days. Take a ride behind #4 and have a runby by the oldest operating engine in the world, the William Mason.

Make a weekend railfaning in Baltimore. Opertunities like this only happen every so often. So come on down to "Balmore hunn".

Brett

Heres a pic from the Chesapeake & Allegheny Live Steamers. Bruce Hamiltons B&O President Adams #5301 and Bob Schwoerer's CSX diesel #9036

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/DSC05703.jpg
Click Image to Resize

The B&O Fab Four
calslivesteam012
Historian
View Profile  

DSC03899-3_704x528.jpg - 67420 Bytes
« Reply #398 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 4:29pm »

So who is going to Steam Days? I will not but should be at the live steamers (look above post) on saturday helping out.  

Matt you still going? I love to see your pics  .

Brett

The S. Eleithebeth

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/DSC03899-3_704x528.jpg
Click Image to Resize

The B&O Fab Four
Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #399 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 8:53pm »

That look like fun. I wish I could go

Anthony

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »