Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 23rd, 2017, 1:42pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

B&O RR Museum
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   B&O RR Museum
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  ...  27 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: B&O RR Museum  (Read 13861 times)
BOMX_1200
Chaser
Re: B&O RR Museum

« Reply #300 on: Apr 5th, 2007, 9:20am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Most likely she will be in the same spot.  That actually worked out well last fall.  Feel free to stop by and say Hi.  I'll be the tall redheaded one (don't tell the other guys I mentioned that they're short hehehe).

BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #301 on: Apr 5th, 2007, 9:50am »

Right now we really only have enough crews for 2 engines to be out, let alone the trackspace.  The #4 is still facing west, and while we know it makes things tough for pictures coaling and watering are an issue with it facing east and at the other end of the train.

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #302 on: Apr 5th, 2007, 4:45pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Welcome To Railfan

Anthony

BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #303 on: Apr 11th, 2007, 5:41pm »

Actually, the Mason is not equipped with air brakes and will therefore not be carrying any passengers.

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #304 on: Apr 11th, 2007, 8:21pm »

So there doing run by's with the Mason this time? I'm definitely coming!  
Maybe I'll bring a tripod and take a decent video this time.  

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #305 on: Apr 11th, 2007, 8:30pm »

The tender is equipped with hand brakes and during the filming for Wild Wild West it (the tender) was equipped with an air tank that could be filled and a set of air brakes.  These were removed upon return to the museum to bring it back to as close to original condition as possible.  

Back in 99-00ish rides were offered behind the mason on a flatcar with benches.  Recent trends (read insurance issues) resulted in a decision not to haul passengers behind equipment without air brakes.  

Run-bys will be performed for passengers on the train behind the #4.  

Hope this help clarify somewhat.  See you all on the 28th and 29th.

pennsy643

View Profile  

« Reply #306 on: Apr 12th, 2007, 9:33am »

on Apr 11th, 2007, 8:30pm, BOMX_1200 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The tender is equipped with hand brakes and during the filming for Wild Wild West it (the tender) was equipped with an air tank that could be filled and a set of air brakes.  These were removed upon return to the museum to bring it back to as close to original condition as possible.  

Back in 99-00ish rides were offered behind the mason on a flatcar with benches.  Recent trends (read insurance issues) resulted in a decision not to haul passengers behind equipment without air brakes.

I was down for the Steam Days in 1999 and 2000 when the Mason was hauling passengers.  The Mason pushed/pulled a 2-car train including the bench-fitted flatcar and the B&O 4-wheel bobber caboose.  Made for a neat looking train.

In 2000 they were selling cabrides on the Mason and I made sure I didn't let THAT opportunity pass by!  I remember from the cabride--definitely no engine (driver) brakes there!  The good ol' "put the reverse lever over in the opposite direction" method of engine braking was well demonstrated.  Between that and the wood firing, this was one of the most memorable and fun cabrides I've had.

0-4-0T 4 was still in the shop back then, have to get back to see her run.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #307 on: Apr 13th, 2007, 3:42pm »

Cool links Matt. I never relized No.4 was at Cass

Anthony

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #308 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 7:31pm »

Have fun at the museum Matt!!!!
 I wish I could go

Anthony

90Fan
Historian

« Reply #309 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 9:15pm »

on Apr 21st, 2007, 5:54pm, St. Elizabeth Hospital #4 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just a heads up folks that steam days is rapidly approaching at is taking place this coming weekend (April 28-29). Go out and support the museum and steam operations over the first mile of rail line ever laid in the U.S. For those who have forgotten, or are clueless to this whole event, two of the museum's four operable steamers (The St. Elizabeth a 1950 Porter 0-4-0 and the 1856 4-4-0 William Mason) will be under steam and pulling trains.

I hope to be there but that visit is still up in air. If I do make the trip, I'll be sure to bring back pictures and maybe a few videos. If not, it is definite that I will make it for the October steam days.

Matt

Man, I wish I could go. The weather's great for it. But I have prior commitments . Enjoy yourself if you go.

I'm ba-ack....for now, anyway.
joneau261
Historian

« Reply #310 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 4:49pm »

Matt, I'll be heading out to the B&O Musuem on Sunday. Expect plenty of pictures and videos then

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #311 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 5:50pm »

I'm sorry to hear you can't go Matt, but I hope Jonathen has a good time

Anthony

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #312 on: Apr 29th, 2007, 1:42am »

I went today. Well, now I guess its yesterday... (1AM haha) Pics to follow soon.

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #313 on: Apr 29th, 2007, 9:20am »

I'm looking forward to pics as well

Anthony

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #314 on: Apr 29th, 2007, 10:47pm »

on Apr 29th, 2007, 7:43pm, St. Elizabeth Hospital #4 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Not to be a pain in the tender but...those who have been to Baltimore in the past two days know what I'm looking for.

Matt
I was there on Saturday. I shoot slides so it will be a while before I can post photos.  I have enough problems with photos so there is no way I'll shoot video.  Things seemed to go ok for the most part. I would have thought there would have been more people there though.   Some that were there were surprised to learn a train ride (much less one pulled by a steam locomotive) was included in the price of admission.   The only problem I noted was from an apparently inebriated local that decided the cool thing to do was stand on the rails while the William Mason was making the return trip to the museum grounds. After coming to a stop and a brief verbal exchange with the crew to get the fool to move, the William Mason made it back without having to make use of it's cowcatcher.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #315 on: Apr 30th, 2007, 4:03pm »

Heres a few pics.... I'm not really happy on how any of them turned out.... To dark, and I think I was running out of battery power...  

-----------------------------
Mason -  

Here she comes!

Going...

Mason in front of the shops -  

#377... One of my favorites for some reason...

I believe this is there first paint job from there new shop.

Anyone have the history of this unit? I think it may have operated into the 70s or 80s around Locust Point in Baltimore... Not sure though.

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
BOMX_1200
Chaser

« Reply #316 on: Apr 30th, 2007, 6:44pm »

Thanks for the Pics BC&A those are the best I've seen yet.  I'm not sure of where the 633 worked, but she's a 1955 EMD SW-900 (not to be confused with an SW-9).  She's been in the museums operable fleet as long as I've been working there (so at least '99).

MH765
Historian

« Reply #317 on: Apr 30th, 2007, 6:46pm »

Wow, the 3684 looks really good in fresh paint. What paint did it previously wear?

"NS H86, Main Line over!"
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #318 on: Apr 30th, 2007, 9:22pm »

on Apr 30th, 2007, 4:03pm, BC_and_A_railway wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Anyone have the history of this unit? I think it may have operated into the 70s or 80s around Locust Point in Baltimore... Not sure though.

#633 came to the B&O in 6/55 and worked for 20 years at Riker Yard. She was renumbered #9408 in '57. The next move was a lease to Koppers Company in the mid70s where she worked as the plant switcher until 1991. She was retired by CSX and then donated to the museum in 1992. The museum restored her back to her original # and paint in late 1994. This info from the museum and Baltimore and Ohio Diesel Locomotive Roster, 2nd Edition by Mischke.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #319 on: Apr 30th, 2007, 9:29pm »

on Apr 30th, 2007, 6:46pm, Miketherailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Wow, the 3684 looks really good in fresh paint. What paint did it previously wear?
Is this a trick question? This one made it to CSX blue & gray as #6500 but had already been painted once by the museum into original B&O colors in 1994.
CHESSIEMIKE

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  ...  27 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »