Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 17th, 2017, 3:58am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

B&O RR Museum
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
(Moderators: Two23, , CHESSIEMIKE)
   B&O RR Museum
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  27 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: B&O RR Museum  (Read 13882 times)
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

B&O RR Museum
  BO_4500_P.jpg - 45024 Bytes
« on: Nov 12th, 2004, 5:48pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Don't forget, the B&O RR Museum reopens on Nov. 13, 2004.  
Here is a link to the Museum's web site:
http://www.borail.org/

CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/BO_4500_P.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Re: B&O RR Museum

« Reply #1 on: Nov 13th, 2004, 6:59pm »

They did open and had a very good first day turn out.  You should put the Museum on your "to do" list.  The restored roundhouse looks great.   My only complaint is the clear wall they put up around some of the damaged exhibits.  It does not have to be that tall and keeps you from getting any kind of photo.  I'm sure there is some good reason for it, don't know what it is & I don't like it.  Ok, I'm off my soap box now.  
CHESSIEMKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13th, 2004, 7:47pm »

Do they have a small tanke engine taht gives little rides?
I have heard this is true.

Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Nov 13th, 2004, 10:58pm »

Pretty sure they have a short 3 mile museum train, but I dont know whether or not it's steam powered.  If it is, than the museum goes even higher on my to do list!

Cy

Go Braves!

RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 14th, 2004, 6:06am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Nov 13th, 2004, 10:58pm, Teen_NS_fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
    Pretty sure they have a short 3 mile museum train, but I dont know whether or not it's steam powered.  If it is, than the museum goes even higher on my to do list!

Cy

They at least USED TO run an RDC on that short run.  

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Nov 14th, 2004, 8:14am »

It's my understanding that they have several operating locomotives.  As for this weekend, they were runing a SW-900 switcher on a 3 car train.  The cars were from MARC and the end car was the MARC Obs.  In the past they have run steam and I'm sure they will in the future.  The run is only about a mile long, out and back with no turning of the train and the locomotive stays on one end.  The ride will take you past the new restoration shop they are building.  
CHESSIEMIKE

Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Nov 14th, 2004, 10:23pm »

One of my video's shows a Pere Marquette SW1 operating at the Museum! That'd be a treat to ride behind!  
               It'd be neat if they could extend the ride and get that mikado running. It looks sort of like a light USRA design.   The WILLIAM MASON is already operable because of restoration by the Strasburg Railroad for the Movie WILD, WILD WEST a few years ago.  Would be cool if you could ride behind that engine. Or was she one of the engines damaged in the collapse?

Cy

« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2004, 10:24pm by Southern Green » Logged

Go Braves!

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 6:26am »

The William Mason was not damaged.  If memory serves me correctly, she was in another building when the collapse occurred.
CHESSIEMIKE

Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 5:52pm »

on Nov 15th, 2004, 6:26am, CHESSIEMIKE wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The William Mason was not damaged.  If memory serves me correctly, she was in another building when the collapse occurred.
CHESSIEMIKE

Good!   Any word on if she is still operable?

Go Braves!

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

BO_RR_Museum_P.jpg - 50080 Bytes
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 8:50pm »

Here is a shot taken while on the train.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/BO_RR_Museum_P.jpg
Click Image to Resize

trainheartedguy
Railfan

« Reply #10 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 11:49pm »

If my memory serves right, after the collapse the museum reported that the William Mason had recently been fine tuned and shined up, and was in storage awaiting the fair of the Iron horse.  As for pulling excursions...I have a tape of "Rails around York" [Pa], on which they have the passenger geep (at the platform in the above picture), the GP30, the Laffayette replica, the Tom Thumb replica, and of course, the William Mason (still painted as the Wanderer from Wild Wild West), pulling excursions at a museum event.  As for the Pere Marquette switcher, that was one of the things damaged, and the first thing to be restored.  She looks great now (The restoration updates on the website have a photographic record of the restoration process)

Proudly working for the Brunswick Railroad Museum. http://www.brrm.net
Brunswick Maryland, "Home of the Iron Horse"
Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Nov 19th, 2004, 9:53pm »

Thanks for the info trainheartedguy! Sorry to hear that the SW1 was damaged in the collapse.  Did they restore her back to operating condition, or was her engine not damaged in the collapse and she could run anyway?

CHESSIEMIKE -  You know which engine that is in your pic? Looks sort of like a Baldwin switcher.

Go Braves!

BnO_Hendo
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Nov 19th, 2004, 11:58pm »

Ok, I put off a trip to the Museum opening weekend cause I was afraid it would be packed. It was. Which is great. I plan on getting down there in another two weeks or so.  

They have a stable of operating locos- including a GP30 and I think an SD24. Steamers that work are the Mason, the Lafayette, and an 0-4-0 tank engine they restored for trips along the B&O's first mile from the museum. However, the tank engine was damaged in the collapse. They are reluctant to run the Mason because of its antiquity.  

Check out my RAILIMAGES site for some photos of the Museum prior to the collapse, along with some other neat photos.  

http://www.railimages.com/gallery/davehenderson

Steam Locomotives have a tender behind!
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 10:50pm »

on Nov 19th, 2004, 9:53pm, Teen_NS_fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
CHESSIEMIKE -  You know which engine that is in your pic? Looks sort of like a Baldwin switcher.
It is an EMD switcher.  It is #1200 and painted red with a black stripe.  I don't know the history of this one so maybe someone else can fill in the blanks.
CHESSIEMIKE

Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 7:45pm »

I'm going to Washington D.C. in December, and hopefully I'll be able to get to Baltimore to go to the museum. I'll get lots of pics.

Go Braves!

Ray Reter
Railfan

« Reply #15 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 5:03pm »

For those who may be planning to visit the B&O museum on a weekend: try to visit the B&O Museum on a Saturday, and spend your Sunday at the Baltimore Streetcar Museum which is located on the grounds of the old Maryland & Pennsylvania ("Ma & Pa") Railroad's Baltimore yards. It's only three blocks from Baltimore's Penn (Amtrak) Station. The streetcars go right past the old Ma & Pa roundhouse, which is now a city road salt storage facility. -- Ray

Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 9:57pm »

Ok, I'll try to work that out to go to the Street car museum too. Arent the Baltimore trolley"s broad gauge?

Go Braves!

Ray Reter
Railfan

« Reply #17 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 10:19pm »

Yes, the Baltimore Transit Company's streetcars, which ended operation in 1963,  were broad gauge. The light rail line built during the 1990s was built to standard gauge. By the way, the streetcar museum is just across the creek (the "Jones Falls") from the MTA's light rail North Avenue yards. -- Ray

« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2004, 10:21pm by Ray Reter » Logged
RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #18 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 5:52pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Nov 23rd, 2004, 9:57pm, Teen_NS_fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
  Ok, I'll try to work that out to go to the Street car museum too. Arent the Baltimore trolley"s broad gauge?

Baltimore's track gauge is a very unique 5 ft. 4 1/2 inches, which is two inches wider than the standard Pennsylvania trolley gauge.  Baltimore was the only city to have this particular track gauge.

trainheartedguy
Railfan

« Reply #19 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 1:49am »

I will be at the museum most of the day tomorrow..errr.  today (Friday Dec. 3).  if anyone  wants me to post a few photos, I will be glad to.

Proudly working for the Brunswick Railroad Museum. http://www.brrm.net
Brunswick Maryland, "Home of the Iron Horse"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  27 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »