Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 10:56pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

N&W C-420s
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   ALCO
(Moderator: NS3360)
   N&W C-420s
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: N&W C-420s  (Read 288 times)
LL1060
Chaser
N&W C-420s

« on: Apr 24th, 2011, 11:38pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I 'm looking for information on the disposition of N&W's C-420s - specifically when they were retired. Anyone know of a good all-time diesel roster, online or in print, that could tell me?

firstbelt
Historian
Re: N&W C-420s
  5325a_GE_04-28-1979.jpg - 45865 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29th, 2012, 9:57pm »

Took a while, but nothing good seems to come easy.  I've been looking up rosters and locomotive heritage, after a post in the New York Central forum.  You'll find a lot of rosters on  
http://www.thedieselshop.us/
Click on "By-Gone Banners (Fallen Flags)" and navigate to Norfolk and Western for a N&W roster.  Some rosters have locomotive builder serial numbers, but the N&W does not.  With a couple thousand engines coming from original N&W purchase and acquisition of NKP, Wabash, Virginian, Illinois Terminal, Pittsburg & West Virginia, the web page would be really messy.

I've been posting photos on and looking up info on website http://www.rrpicturearchives.net

It has several angles you can look up information.  If you know reporting marks, look up by that (NW in this case); leave out ampersand or other punctuation.  You will then find photos making up locomotive and rolling stock rosters.  Select  
"Model List: View" then the available photos of the model you're after (Alco C420).  At the moment I'm writing this, the website has 7 photos of N&W C420's, including #415.  Following the link for #415, you'll see
"Other locos with this serial: (3397-03)"
APA 84(C420) NW 415(C420)
Click on the link for APA 84, and you'll find that the Apache Railroad of Arizona acquired what was built as N&W #415.  Scroll down through the posted photos for APA 84, checking photo dates, and it appears this engine is still running in revenue service as of late 2012.

There are railroad historical societies with members who may have specific information on rosters.  Try  
www.nwhs.org/

On a 1979 railfan visit to Cleveland by Amtrak's Lakeshore Limited, I happened to be awake while rolling past GE's Erie shops and sidings of trade-in material.  I snapped the attached photo of a string of N&W power.  I can't say for certain, but my guess is N&W traded in Alco power to GE at about this time.  Looks like the second unit from left has a rounded cab as an Alco might have.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Alco/5325a_GE_04-28-1979.jpg
Click Image to Resize

WVa_Jon
Chaser
Re: N&W C-420s

« Reply #2 on: Jul 25th, 2014, 11:27pm »

If you can find a copy, there is (was?) a two-volume set on N&W diesels. They were titled "N&W First Generation Diesels" and "Second Generation". I'm pretty sure they C-420's were in the later book. Withers and the other author (a LOT of my books are in storage due to a recent move  ) had a disposition tally for most, if not all, N&W units.

Sure hope this helps.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »