Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 11:02pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

RS11s in 2010
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   ALCO
(Moderator: NS3360)
   RS11s in 2010
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: RS11s in 2010  (Read 455 times)
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

RS11s in 2010

« on: Dec 16th, 2010, 8:41pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I was indeed fortunate this year- I saw three RS11s. Each of them was built for a different RR and they still operate on (separate) shortlines in upstate NY now.  

The first RS11 that I saw was #5010 of the Buffalo Southern RR. On this occasion, she remained parked in the engine house.

Photo taken by me Friday 7/30/2010 in Hamburg, NY. This RS11 was built as D&H #5010 circa 1963 and was sold to BSOR in the late '80s. She is the sole survivor of the D&H RS11 fleet.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

Re: RS11s in 2010

« Reply #1 on: Dec 16th, 2010, 8:44pm »

About 7 weeks later, I caught BSOR #5010 in action. On this occasion, the RS11 was making a run up to Buffalo Creek Junction to fetch a boxcar.  

Photo taken by me Friday 9/17/2010 in Buffalo, NY.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16th, 2010, 8:48pm »

The second RS11 that I saw this year had a similar story. In this case, I stumbled upon Ontario Midland's #36 when she was not running. The RS11 tied up on a customer's spur for the weekend.  

Photo taken by me Saturday 9/4/2010 in Ontario, NY.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2010, 8:52pm »

Again about 7-8 weeks passed and I got see #36 running. In this case, she was heading westward through Wayne County with a short consist in tow.  

Photo taken by me Monday 10/25/2010 in Sodus, NY. This RS11 was built for the N&W in 1957 and sold to the Ontario Midland RR in 1979.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16th, 2010, 8:58pm »

The third and final RS11 was a familiar "catch" for me. As in years past, the Medina RR Museum and the Falls Road teamed up for a series of excursions that operated between Brockport and Fancher (NY) at the beginning of this month. The excursions operate pull-pull, with this RS11 leading the reutrn trips bakc to Brockport.  

Photo taken by me Sunday 12/5/2010 at the Park Avenue crossing in Brockport, NY. This Alco RS11 was built for the Nickel Plate in the late '50s, spent some time on the Winchester & Western and eventually was sold to GVT (the parent corporation of the Falls Road) in the '90s.  

Of course, any other pictures of RS11s taken this year are quite welcome in this thread. Enjoy!

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Dec 17th, 2010, 3:10pm »

Lucky month. The Medina RR Museum/Falls Road RS-11 is a mighty handsome piece of equipment - the paint really suits the locomotive well.

Having spent some time with a couple of engineers, i know that a high short hood has some serious disadvantages when operating, but it can look mighty fine from the outside. That one surely does.

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19th, 2010, 7:06pm »

Oh yeah, a short high hood limits visibility, so it can be a liability on "curvy" tracks and in yards.  

The Falls Road RS11 #1802 belongs to GVT, which also owns the Depew, Lancaster & Western; Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern; and Delaware-Lackawanna RRs. Most GVT locomotives carry a similar paint scheme to #1802 and I really like it.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Dec 20th, 2010, 6:09pm »

I can see why - the scheme is well thought out and looks handsome. A good looking paint scheme on the equipment is good public relations, i think - and I think the BNSF would have done well to have taken advantage of the SF red and silver warbonnet post-merger, by adopting it as the standard.

WVa_Jon
Chaser

« Reply #8 on: Jul 25th, 2014, 12:37pm »

on Dec 16th, 2010, 8:48pm, Matthew_L wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The second RS11 that I saw this year had a similar story. In this case, I stumbled upon Ontario Midland's #36 when she was not running. The RS11 tied up on a customer's spur for the weekend.  

Photo taken by me Saturday 9/4/2010 in Ontario, NY.

Just wondering if that engine is still running? And, do you know the history? With the boxes or louvers on the long hood, the engine looks like it came from N&W. I've seen several pix of RS-11's "modified" like this one.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »