Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 11:02pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

PA to Dallas
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   ALCO
(Moderator: NS3360)
   PA to Dallas
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: PA to Dallas  (Read 256 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

PA to Dallas

« on: Aug 16th, 2010, 6:30pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

TRAINS newswire says that one of the PAs owne by the Smithsonian will be going to Dallas (or rather, actually, Plano). Story:

DALLAS - The Smithsonian Institution has gifted one of its two Alco PA diesels to the Museum of the American Railroad, the Texas museum's attorney says. William J. Brotherton said the locomotive is being loaded onto flat cars from its storage site near Lebanon, Ore.  
Smithsonian Transportation Curator William Withuhn and Portland, Ore. preservationist Doyle McCormack returned the two units, among the last four last of the famous passenger units left, to the U.S. from Mexico in 2000. McCormack is loading the unit as a contractor.

The two Alco passenger units, originally purchased by the Santa Fe as their 62L and 59L, were sold, along with two others, to the Delaware & Hudson in December 1967. They were rebuilt with Alco 251C prime movers replacing their original 244s and renumbered 16-19. Operated in passenger service, the quartet was later sold to Ferrocarriles Nacionales de Mexico. Two came back, the 18, under restoration by McCormack in Portland, Ore. and the 16, now destined for Texas.

"I've got a lot of time, energy, money and emotion in that engine, and I'm glad to see it going somewhere where it will be appreciated," McCormack said. The 16 is expected to be repainted in Santa Fe red and silver warbonnet colors.

The Museum of the American Railroad, with a collection including a Union Pacific 4-8-8-4, a UP DDA40X Centennial, a Pennsylvania GG1, and a Santa Fe FP45 plus a variety of other locomotives and freight and passenger equipment, is in the process of moving from its Dallas home to Frisco, 35 miles north.

The city of Dallas went to court to get the museum to move from its home of 47 years at State Fair Park by Aug. 1. That deadline came and went, and motion for summary judgment is set to be heard in September.

Meanwhile, in Frisco, the first shipment of rail has arrived for the new museum site. - David Lustig and Jim Wrinn

Anybody know just what came back from Mexico? Just carbodies? Seems like I saw something at one time indicating the mechanicals were petty well stripped out and the trucks may have been removed.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Re: PA to Dallas

« Reply #1 on: Aug 16th, 2010, 8:09pm »

Let's just say they were rough:

http://shastaroute.railfan.net/Photos/PA/10249.jpg

CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Aug 16th, 2010, 8:53pm »

Curst sad I'd say. Gonna be some sort of a job just to do a cosmetic restoration, looks like. And where to find a set of Alco A-1-A trtucks. I guess the D&H needed the money and the Mexicans were willing to pay - but sure looks like they shouldn't have been allowed to buy...

atlpete
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Aug 16th, 2010, 10:52pm »

McCormick's PA restoration has been covered at length in a variety of periodicals, my understanding is the 16 would be a cosmetic restoration into Warbonnet colors and go to the Smithsonian with the 18 retained by McCormick and restored to operating condition in the NKP Blue and Silver scheme as #180(wow!). Guess there's no room at the Smithsonian's DC site for another engine.
I have read that the replacement 251 engine and traction motors for the 180 came from a donor M-420 or some-such MLW, the trucks came from a scrap dealer in Canada and were originally from ex-PRR Erie-built FM B units (close , but not exact matches)  Everyone should stay tuned for this story for sure.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Aug 17th, 2010, 8:21am »

The new number on the NKP PA is #190. Try this link for more info:
http://www.nkp190.com/

CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »