Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 11:00pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

ALCO "Code" Mystery
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   ALCO
(Moderator: NS3360)
   ALCO "Code" Mystery
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: ALCO "Code" Mystery  (Read 386 times)
Big_Jim
TRAINing
ALCO "Code" Mystery

« on: Feb 20th, 2007, 11:50am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Here's a mystery for you.  
I just purchased an old ALCO pamphlet (48 pgs.) about Pacific type locomotives. There is some text, some plans, and a lot of pictures w/specs much like the N&W builders cards.

Here is the mystery. At the bottom of the first page it says; The Code Word for this Pamphlet is "CALLIGENIE".  

Also on each page with a loco picture it will say for example;

Pacific Type Passenger Locomotive
Built for the Missouri Pacific Railway
CODE WORD "AGARROCHO"

Each locomotive pictured will have a different 'code word'. Any ideas on what this is all about?

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Re: ALCO "Code" Mystery

« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 9:41pm »

on Feb 20th, 2007, 11:50am, Big_Jim wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here's a mystery for you.  
I just purchased an old ALCO pamphlet (48 pgs.) about Pacific type locomotives. There is some text, some plans, and a lot of pictures w/specs much like the N&W builders cards.

Here is the mystery. At the bottom of the first page it says; The Code Word for this Pamphlet is "CALLIGENIE".  

Also on each page with a loco picture it will say for example;

Pacific Type Passenger Locomotive
Built for the Missouri Pacific Railway
CODE WORD "AGARROCHO"

Each locomotive pictured will have a different 'code word'. Any ideas on what this is all about?
This info is still classified, ICTY,BIHTKY.  
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
BillD53A

« Reply #2 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 4:49am »

Back in the halcyon days of yesteryear, few people had telephones, so industry relied on the telegraph.  Western Union charges were based on the number of words sent.  They used codewords to reduce the number of groups in the message.  Instead of listing wheel arrangements, wheel diameter, piston bore and stroke, etc.  the message would just read 'send one callegenie'.

Bachmann makes Atlas
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Feb 25th, 2007, 10:26am »

Big_Jim,
I hope you took my attempt at humor with at least a smile.    That being said, BillD53A may be on to something. I was looking through a copy of Glover Steam Locomotives by Hillman and found something similar, a letter from The Lodwick Lumber Co. Inc. to Glover about the purchase of a locomotive.  The letter references code words "Recod" and "Redon" from "Catolog C" as possible locomotives that they might want to buy. Hope this helps & welcome to the Forums BTW.  
CHESSIEMIKE

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2007, 10:27am by CHESSIEMIKE » Logged

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Big_Jim
TRAINing

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26th, 2007, 9:02pm »

I posed this question on several forums and the concensus is the 'cable' answer. Thanks to everyone for this look back into the past.

Mike, I never have been any good at working the "Cryptoqoute" in the newspaper.

Dr. Richard Leonard
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17th, 2007, 2:51pm »

I'm late coming to this thread, but I have a 20-page Alco Pacific type bulletin from 1913 that I have had on my web site for a few years. It doesn't have any of these cable codes, that I know of. You can view it here:

http://www.railarchive.net/alcopacifics/index.html

Dr. Richard Leonard

Dr. Richard Leonard, Hamilton, Illinois. Richard Leonard's Rail Archive, http://www.railarchive.net
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »