Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 10:52pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Turbine Alco UP50
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   ALCO
(Moderator: NS3360)
   Turbine Alco UP50
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Turbine Alco UP50  (Read 583 times)
andrealuigi
TRAINing
Turbine Alco UP50
  Turbine50.jpg - 211867 Bytes
« on: Feb 4th, 2006, 5:18am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hi there,

I hope you can help me finding some picture of the first UP turbine, UP 50, produced by Alco in 1948.
It is an interesting engine because it is one of the verey few double cab locomotives produced in North America.
I will use the pictures for a historical report on our web site.
On the net i found only this picture.

Thank you for any help.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Alco/Turbine50.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2006, 1:02pm by andrealuigi » Logged
RDG484
Former Member
Re: Turbine Alco UP50

« Reply #1 on: Feb 4th, 2006, 6:12pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

This may have been originally the Great Northern W-1 electric that was rebuilt as a turbine.  I know they both look similar.

SSW9389
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 1:23pm »

Although UP Turbine #50 looks like an ALCO, it was actually built by and owned by General Electric. The FA styling that is evident on this locomotive is the work of GE. It was also done by Industrial Designer Ray Patten of GE. ALCO and GE were in partnership on Diesel-Electirc locomotives from 1940-1953, but the turbines were solely the work of GE. Sorry Andrea no ALCO here.  

COTTON BELT: Runs like a Blue Streak!
SSW9389
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 1:30pm »

The W-1 electrics were built by GE in June 1947. One of the W-1 carbodies was used in UP's 1962 Coal Turbine experimental unit #80.  

on Feb 4th, 2006, 6:12pm, RDG484 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This may have been originally the Great Northern W-1 electric that was rebuilt as a turbine.  I know they both look similar.

RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 6th, 2006, 3:04pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Feb 6th, 2006, 1:30pm, SSW9389 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The W-1 electrics were built by GE in June 1947. One of the W-1 carbodies was used in UP's 1962 Coal Turbine experimental unit #80.  

Thanks for the info.  The unit pictured, though, looks A LOT like the former W-1.

andrealuigi
TRAINing

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 1:36pm »

Sorry to be here... Mybe under UP could be a better thread.
The few info I have spaek about a ALCO/GE.
Some way to find a picture of W1?
And of UP50? Some bibliographical reference?
Thank you for all info.

SSW9389
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 1:53pm »

There is a page on UP #50 in the Second Diesel Spotter's Guide. There was a great article in Classic Trains not too long ago that should have some information about UP #50. There are photos of GN W1 in Line's West and online check George Elwood's Fallen Flags and Ben Ringwalda's GN site.  

on Feb 10th, 2006, 1:36pm, andrealuigi wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thank you for all info.

silver_champion
Historian
  1.jpg - 133476 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10th, 2006, 3:46pm »

Ok UP fans, what loco is this turbine is.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (133476 bytes, 961x619 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 1.jpg - 133476 Bytes

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12th, 2006, 6:34am »

on Feb 10th, 2006, 3:46pm, silver_champion wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Ok UP fans, what loco is this turbine is.
A better question would be what turbine is this 1/2 of?.  GE built 30 massive 8500hp C-C+C-C turbines from 1958-1961.  Numbered 1-30, UP started traded them in on U50Cs in 1969 and the last one operated in December of that year.  See page GE-206 of The Second Diesel Spotter's Guide by Pinkepank.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
SSW9389
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Feb 12th, 2006, 8:30am »

The Big Blow Turbines, UP #1-30 were set up in three sections. The control cab had the operating controls, a small Cooper-Bessemer diesel engine for hostling moves, starting the turbine and excitation of the dynamic brake. The second unit actually held the turbine engine. And lastly there was a fuel tender to satisfy the turbines appetite for fuel.    

Do we need a GE Forum?

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Feb 12th, 2006, 12:51pm »

Hi All,

As the man said, the Big Blows could pass everything but a fuel station. Real fuel guzzlers, even at idle.  

It was mentioned that these giants got around the engine yard using a small diesel. They also required great care in starting the Turbine. Many an engine explosion and fire resulted from not starting the Turbine properly. Pentrex has a videotape showing a Turbine backfiring, and flames shooting out of the Turbine. Have fire extinguisher, will travel.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: May 29th, 2007, 8:18pm »

on Feb 10th, 2006, 1:36pm, andrealuigi wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thank you for all info.
I know this is old but I came across an interesting article on this locomotive in the July, 1949 issue of Trains written by David P. Morgan.  It included a couple of photos of the locomotive as #101 in an Alco/GE paint scheme and a side elevation drawing.  He billed it as "the first, the original domestic gas turbine locomotive"
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
WVa_Jon
Chaser

« Reply #12 on: Jul 25th, 2014, 12:04pm »

Hi Folks,

Just stumbled onto this section or forum. I, too, never saw much of anything UP except some freight cars in my part of West Virginia! As for photos, if you can find one of the 1969 Railroad Model Craftsman copies (June or July?) they had a great article about "monster" engines--I really don't remember the title after all these years. Anyway, the article did have a run-down of UP's turbines and had a photo or two of the double-ended one mentioned in this thread. One of the captions on one of the photos mentioned that these turbines were " . . . fired on everything from 'Bunker C' to propane, [these units] now burn . . . diesel fuel." If you ever ran across any Bunker C you would be glad there was a use for it, as burning for heat production was about all that glop was good for!

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »