Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 20th, 2017, 7:34pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Poll: Whats your favorite Alco?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   ALCO
(Moderator: NS3360)
   Poll: Whats your favorite Alco?
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Poll: Whats your favorite Alco?  (Read 3975 times)
Marty_Feldner
Historian
Re: Poll:Whats you're favorite Alco

« Reply #40 on: Aug 4th, 2005, 9:59pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Aug 4th, 2005, 8:23pm, alcoc420 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
My favorite ALCO would have to be the C-420's. Espically the Lehigh and Hudson River ones. The baby blue with the white is probably my favorite.

Light gray, not white (at least, when new; toward the end, it was closer to 'grung', as money for niceties like regular cleaning dried up)...

alcoc420
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Aug 5th, 2005, 11:39am »

Thanks for clearing that up! I always thought it looked like white. Anyway they still are great engines.

Member of the BLACK DIAMOND SOCIETY OF MODEL ENGINEERS

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #42 on: Aug 19th, 2005, 10:34am »

The bulldog,

RS27

« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2017, 10:41pm by towny72 » Logged

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
TrainMan404
Chaser
View Profile  

8667.jpg - 59317 Bytes
« Reply #43 on: Aug 28th, 2005, 4:06pm »

My favorite alco would either have to be the RSD-1 or the RS-1.  There is something about such a pioneering loco {RS-1} and its unique sister, the RSD-1, that brings me some sort of historic closure.  The flat hoods and arching cab roofs are something to be admired!

TM

Gotta love those working ALCos!! RSD-1 8669, Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Alco/8667.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Spooler734
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 5:57pm »

I would say that my favorite alco is between an FA-2 oa an RS-3 paited for Western Maryland in Fireball paint.

This year is the Western Maryland Scenic Railroads 25th anniversary! Plan your visit this 2013 season at www.wmsr.com
C420
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #45 on: Sep 30th, 2005, 9:09pm »

RS 3.  Nothing like a good running 244.  

u25b
Chaser

« Reply #46 on: Oct 6th, 2005, 11:40pm »

Well here goes-I love the PA (especially in MoPac colours) and the FA in Erie black and yellow(copied line for line by the Victorian Railways here in Australia).Pick any 6 axle century and you can't beat it for good looks and I am really fond of those RSD7/12/15 series of locos but they HAVE to have a high short hood. And not forgetting the littl'uns-the C415 was so homely that you can't help but care for 'em(did you know the original C415 demonstrator is preserved in Australia?). And no-one has mentioned the T6.

Thats enough for now!

Wes

Wes Harris

Save what you can today,too much has already been lost forever!!
Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #47 on: Oct 15th, 2005, 9:37pm »

Cool news on the C-415. Another C-415 is in the process of being renovated by local shortline Buffalo Southern, which strangely enough is a former Erie line.  BSOR also connects to the New York & Lake Erie, which operates  the southern portion of the same Erie line.  NYLE rosters a pair of former VIA/CN FPA-4s in a very cool Erie-esque scheme that substitutes sapphire blue blue for black.  For an impressive look at one of them,  check this out: http://alcoworld.railfan.net/nyle.htm  -you won't be disappointed!     Also appropriate for an ex-EL route, NYLE has a pair of C-425s including a high-nose ex-N&W unit that was used in Planes, Trains & Automobiles.

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2005, 9:40pm by Matthew_L » Logged

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
WVa_Jon
Chaser

« Reply #48 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 12:58am »

What can you tell us about that C-415? I know there weren't very many even constructed, and few of those survived, as I understand it. Believe it or not, as late as October 1996, the Ohio River Co (ORC).. in its Huntington, WV facility had a -415 shifting cuts of hoppers on a Saturday morning (used to have a photo of it :/ ). It was painted in a fairly bright yellowish-orangey-gold with black letters--wish I could remember the number! And ORC  had used at least an S-2 and RS-1 still in use in 1980, with some more stored.

But I have to agree with a previous post--RS-11's were and are my favorite, especially on N&W's line from Kenova, WV to Portsmouth, OH. I fondly remember a few.

toddsyr

View Profile  

Allied_Chemical_4.jpg - 33703 Bytes
« Reply #49 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 2:25am »

My favorite Alco? I can only narrow it down to the S series switchers. Any of the ones who used to switch the Allied Chemical plant in Solvay, NY will do. I remember EVERY morning the school bus would have to wait a bit as they tied up the Bridge Street crossing doing there chores. I was always amazed how many cars one of these units could pull up the grade there. Lotsa smoke too! Well, not in this pic of #4 idling, sorry!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Alco/Allied_Chemical_4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2005, 2:26am by toddsyr » Logged

adam17
Former Member

« Reply #50 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 9:41am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Alco S-2 for me! I love that little switcher...

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #51 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 10:38am »

Hi All,

My favorite Alcos would be the FA and PA. This is easily confirmed by the fact that I have several such engines in my HO stable. The FA is only B&O, but the PA's are PRR, B&O, NYC, SP, Santa Fe. I can remove the covers of all four of my PA's and replace them with other covers, of different road names. Most impressive is my lash up of four PRR PA-1's. They will pull a house away. They are all Athearn, by the way.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #52 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 2:00pm »

on Nov 14th, 2005, 2:25am, toddsyr wrote:       (Click here for original message)
My favorite Alco? I can only narrow it down to the S series switchers. Any of the ones who used to switch the Allied Chemical plant in Solvay, NY will do. I remember EVERY morning the school bus would have to wait a bit as they tied up the Bridge Street crossing doing there chores. I was always amazed how many cars one of these units could pull up the grade there. Lotsa smoke too! Well, not in this pic of #4 idling, sorry!

Quote:
Alco S-2 for me!  I love that little switcher...  

Glad to see you guys also like the S series...  

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #53 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 2:02pm »

on Nov 14th, 2005, 10:38am, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Most impressive is my lash up of four PRR PA-1's. They will pull a house away. They are all Athearn, by the way.

That must be a fine sight to see...

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

silver_champion
Historian
Re: Poll: Whats your favorite Alco?
  89.jpg - 51226 Bytes
« Reply #54 on: Nov 14th, 2005, 2:46pm »

I would have to say that my favorite Alco is a PA1. Here is a picture of one. Please check out my photo show on railroading at; photoshow.comcast.net/richardtrains

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Alco/89.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Matthew_L
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #55 on: Nov 15th, 2005, 8:28pm »

on Nov 14th, 2005, 12:58am, F74472 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
What can you tell us about that C-415? I know there weren't very many even constructed, and few of those survived, as I understand it. Believe it or not, as late as October 1996, the Ohio River Co (ORC).. in its Huntington, WV facility had a -415 shifting cuts of hoppers on a Saturday morning (used to have a photo of it :/ ). It was painted in a fairly bright yellowish-orangey-gold with black letters--wish I could remember the number!
The Buffalo Southern purchased C-415 in 1999, and it is ex-Rock Island #423.  Here are a few pics of the locomotive shortly after it arrived: http://www.railfan.net/cgi-bin/trainthumb.cgi?railpix/railfan/bsoralco

Here are pics of it in the BSOR yard in Hamburg, NY:
http://alcoworld.railfan.net/bsor.htm
http://members.aol.com/buffalosouthern/pictures/423.jpg

Last I knew, BSOR was working on the C-415, and eventually plans to place the unit in active service.

Best wishes to all,
Matthew L

moderator- D&H, Erie Lackawanna/Erie and LA&L/B&H/WNYP

P.S. All aboard for the last train to Hammondsport!
icsd701000
Railfan

« Reply #56 on: Nov 20th, 2005, 11:31pm »

I would have to say the PAs and a close second the C636 in the IC colors.

IC Peoria sub railfan mp 97.5
trick45
TRAINing

« Reply #57 on: Dec 10th, 2005, 12:00pm »

Gotta put a vote in for the RS-27. There's just something intrinsically "right" looking about that one.

SD50_Fan
Historian

« Reply #58 on: Dec 10th, 2005, 12:27pm »

I like the C630.

Henry
Historian

« Reply #59 on: Dec 10th, 2005, 6:06pm »

I like ALL Alcos!

Growing up with PC I have to say that I have always loved C-636's with RS-2's and 3's a close second.

I have always thought RS-27's (DL-640) were very cool and DL-109/110's are interesting too.

C-855's were awesome, but I never saw one and from what I have read, they were a big maintenance headache.

Henry

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »