Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 22nd, 2017, 1:35pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

SF varnish power to Amtrak/Recalling the "Super C"
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   The Santa Fe
(Moderators: dti407, BNSF_1088)
   SF varnish power to Amtrak/Recalling the "Super C"
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: SF varnish power to Amtrak/Recalling the "Super C"  (Read 398 times)
E8M 86 A-B
Chaser
View Profile  

Re: SF varnish power to Amtrak/Recalling the "Super C"

« Reply #20 on: Mar 12th, 2017, 4:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

A hefty-looking Santa Fe express box car is seen here in a consist at Dearborn Station in May of 1966.

This car certainly was not stingy in carrying capacity!

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/atsf/atsf002125jpa.jpg

photo courtesy of fallenflags.org

May the Great Spirits of the Legendary Chiefs never vanish nor be forgotten........
E8M 86 A-B
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #21 on: Mar 12th, 2017, 5:29pm »

Fort Worth, 1972......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/atsf/atsf-train-abp.jpg

Photo courtesy of fallenflags.org)

May the Great Spirits of the Legendary Chiefs never vanish nor be forgotten........
E8M 86 A-B
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: Mar 12th, 2017, 5:33pm »

Birds, Texas, 1973.....yes, this IS an AMTRAK train......(!!)

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/atsf/atsf-train-ewp.jpg

Photo courtesy of fallenflags.org

« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2017, 5:34pm by E8M 86 A-B » Logged

E8M 86 A-B
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: Mar 12th, 2017, 5:38pm »

Fort Worth, 1971.

A VERY interesting consist, to say the least!

(no info available on this photo)

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/atsf/atsf-train-mwp.jpg

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Mar 12th, 2017, 5:53pm »

on Mar 12th, 2017, 5:38pm, E8M 86 A-B wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Fort Worth, 1971.

A VERY interesting consist, to say the least!

(no info available on this photo)

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/atsf/atsf-train-mwp.jpg

E8M, this train is the Texas Chief (not sure if it's northbound or southbound, and both trains passed through Fort Worth at midday).  For some reason, Santa Fe chose to have the Big Domes follow right behind the Hi-Level Chair Cars.  That decision all but obliterated forward visibility from those magnificent Domes.  I've always wished that they had thought to at least splice the Diner in between.  To me, looking through a layer of soot from the Diner's chimney would still have been preferable to staring at a blank wall.

The last car looks like some sort of instrumentation car?  That Heavyweight may be full of engineering types, or else it could be an equipment move of some sort.  At any rate, it is an interesting consist!

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2017, 5:58pm by Norm_Anderson » Logged
E8M 86 A-B
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #25 on: Mar 12th, 2017, 6:02pm »

on Mar 12th, 2017, 5:53pm, Norm_Anderson wrote:       (Click here for original message)

E8M, this train is the Texas Chief (not sure if it's northbound or southbound, and both trains passed through Fort Worth at midday).  For some reason, Santa Fe chose to have the Big Domes follow right behind the Hi-Level Chair Cars.  That decision all but obliterated forward visibility from those magnificent Domes.  I've always wished that they had thought to at least splice the Diner in between.  To me, looking through a layer of soot from the Diner's chimney would still have been preferable to staring at a blank wall.

The last car looks like some sort of instrumentation car?  That Heavyweight may be full of engineering types, or else it could be an equipment move of some sort.  At any rate, it is an interesting consist!

Regards,

Norm

Norm:

I was thinking about the same thing, regarding the heavyweight; I was thinking perhaps it was either some sort of inspection/instruction car, or carrying company bigwigs to/from a meeting or inspection tour.

This consist just BEGS to me modeled!

E8M

E8M 86 A-B
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #26 on: Mar 12th, 2017, 6:07pm »

Temple, Texas, 1975 (the heavyweight "Power Car" is the subject off this photo); indeed, the SF was not at all subtle about celebrating the Nation's upcoming Bi-Centennial!

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/atsf/atsf-pc87csa.jpg

« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2017, 6:10pm by E8M 86 A-B » Logged

E8M 86 A-B
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Mar 12th, 2017, 10:20pm »

"Pigs On Parade" (Crowley, Texas, 1973)

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/atsf/atsf-train-dbp.jpg

Photo courtesy of fallenflags.org

E8M 86 A-B
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #28 on: Mar 12th, 2017, 10:44pm »

"THE BIRMINGHAM SPECIAL"

Though this page deals with a SOUTHERN train, it tells us that, until 1975, TOFC cars were included in passenger consists, basically a modern-day "mixed train".

The reason I am posting this here is that, had the SF not gone into Amtrak in 1971, perhaps it, too, would have run passenger trains that included TOFC's.

IMHO, it does make for some interesting speculation.

Certainly not "The Chief", but indeed would have made for some interesting consists......

E8M

http://www.american-rails.com/birmingham-special.html

Page courtesy of American Rails.com

« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2017, 10:46pm by E8M 86 A-B » Logged

E8M 86 A-B
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: Mar 13th, 2017, 12:07am »

"Santa Fe Railway's 'Hot 27' " (High Priority Freight Trains)

This is an excellent page.........

http://www.carrtracks.com/hot27.htm

Article courtesy of John M. Carr

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2017, 12:09am by E8M 86 A-B » Logged

E8M 86 A-B
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #30 on: Mar 13th, 2017, 2:05am »

See also:

http://www.carrtracks.com/hot27a.htm

Article courtesy John M. Carr

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2017, 2:06am by E8M 86 A-B » Logged

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #31 on: Mar 13th, 2017, 1:02pm »

Just for comparative purposes, I went to my Official Guide for October 1956.  Granted, this was a good ten years before the Super C, but most through operations were pretty well Dieselized by then, and I suspect not that much had changed between 1956 and 1966.

One cool thing about the Official Guide is that some railroads advertised their fast freight schedules.

Here are some examples from Missouri Pacific, including guaranteed connections with other railroads (remember, these are the "hotshot" schedules-- the running times that were designed to attract shippers):

St. Louis to Ogden  =  56 hours
St. Louis to El Paso  =  50 hours
Omaha to Houston  =  80 hours
Memphis to El Paso  =  50 hours

West Coast cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco were also shown, but only a symbol was shown in the time column, meaning that arrival time could not be guaranteed.

In the railroads' defense, these schedules were available to all shippers, and some freight cars still had friction bearings (a few of these types of cars even had speed restrictions, and the whole train had to move as slowly as its most fragile car.)

I believe it was TRAINS Magazine that once ran an article complaining that boxcars sometimes took a month to cross the country (and were sometimes simply "misplaced" in classification yards until who knows when).

Against this backdrop, the Super C's promise of "We'll have it in L.A. for you the day after tomorrow." must have seemed almost like science fiction.

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2017, 1:04pm by Norm_Anderson » Logged
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #32 on: Mar 13th, 2017, 2:13pm »

Norm - Lodge Members -

Just when your writer thot this a topic about SFe Ol' 86. Account a somewhat balky and incorrigible in house computer,  
not much time to waste on otherwise so much extraneous material!

Anyway: Yes, yes! Your writer recalls much of it. At the time of Super C, prevalent truckload rates, over the road, on  
Westbound, CGO to West shipments? The $1,500 number would have cleared much tonnage. Compare, Super C done  
to please "Brown Car". It a tough customer!

SFe "via Amarillo and via La Junta". No matter how this sliced, SFe at one hundred (100) miles "handicap" compared  
with short Highway miles.

MOPAC times from Official Guide? Bear in mind that, on selected lanes, the line up against truly hardball competition.  
"The Octopus", Big, Friendly ESPEE controlled SSW (Cotton Belt). ESPEE offered its "BSM" Blue Streak Merchandise  
quick times between St Louis/ Memphis, and West (LAX)...

Back in another life, your writer routed car loads, Buffalo origin to the Coast. Both SSW and SFe provided quite new  
box cars, all on roller bearings,  and Hydra Cushion feature. Capable higher speed rolling stock! Your writer also figured  
how to cut in MOPAC, FRISCO, ROCK ISLAND on some of the carloads. They also had much nice, new and capable  
rolling stock. "Northern Tier" work? Tended to favor BURLINGTON on much of it...

.................  Vern  .............................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
E8M 86 A-B
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #33 on: Mar 13th, 2017, 2:41pm »

on Mar 13th, 2017, 1:02pm, Norm_Anderson wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just for comparative purposes, I went to my Official Guide for October 1956.  Granted, this was a good ten years before the Super C, but most through operations were pretty well Dieselized by then, and I suspect not that much had changed between 1956 and 1966.

One cool thing about the Official Guide is that some railroads advertised their fast freight schedules.

Here are some examples from Missouri Pacific, including guaranteed connections with other railroads (remember, these are the "hotshot" schedules-- the running times that were designed to attract shippers):

St. Louis to Ogden  =  56 hours
St. Louis to El Paso  =  50 hours
Omaha to Houston  =  80 hours
Memphis to El Paso  =  50 hours

West Coast cities like Los Angeles and San Francisco were also shown, but only a symbol was shown in the time column, meaning that arrival time could not be guaranteed.

In the railroads' defense, these schedules were available to all shippers, and some freight cars still had friction bearings (a few of these types of cars even had speed restrictions, and the whole train had to move as slowly as its most fragile car.)

I believe it was TRAINS Magazine that once ran an article complaining that boxcars sometimes took a month to cross the country (and were sometimes simply "misplaced" in classification yards until who knows when).

Against this backdrop, the Super C's promise of "We'll have it in L.A. for you the day after tomorrow." must have seemed almost like science fiction.

Regards,

Norm

Norm:

Once again, I thank you for taking the time to post here some interesting facts/trivia regarding SF "fast freight" and early Amtrak operations.

IMHO, the the realm of workaday freights was far removed from the glamour and glitz of the sleek, silvery "Thoroughbreds" in SF's stable, it was indeed, a vast (and vital) network that indeed deserves to be recalled and studied today.

Good work once again, my friend!

E8M

E8M 86 A-B
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #34 on: Mar 13th, 2017, 3:53pm »

Norm/Fellow SF Time Travelers......

More on SF freight train symbols:

http://www.qstation.org/ATSF_Train_Symbols/

Page courtesy of QStation

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2017, 3:54pm by E8M 86 A-B » Logged

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Mar 13th, 2017, 5:51pm »

E8M,

Thank You!!!

This is the most complete listing I have seen.  And very, very useful.  I had never figured out what the longer, alphabet-soup designations meant.  Now it all makes sense.

Thanks again,

Norm

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2017, 5:52pm by Norm_Anderson » Logged
E8M 86 A-B
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #36 on: Mar 13th, 2017, 6:01pm »

on Mar 13th, 2017, 5:51pm, Norm_Anderson wrote:       (Click here for original message)
E8M,

Thank You!!!

This is the most complete listing I have seen.  And very, very useful.  I had never figured out what the longer, alphabet-soup designations meant.  Now it all makes sense.

Thanks again,

Norm

Norm:

You are MOST welcome, my friend!

I was lucky enough this afternoon to come across this "in depth" set of designations, and knew it was a keeper!

And, as usual, I thank you for all of your tremendous input......I certainly am able to learn quite a bit about "The Santa Fe of Yesterday" through your always-informative postings!

Looking at all these vintage, nostalgic photos of bygone Santa Fe passenger and freight operations, I can almost hear the lovely and legendary folk singer Judy Collins, wistfully warbling, "Where Have All The Warbonnets Gone"?........

E8M

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2017, 6:04pm by E8M 86 A-B » Logged

E8M 86 A-B
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #37 on: Mar 13th, 2017, 6:09pm »

Norm/All:

Just came across the following:

http://www.carrtracks.com/sfconsst.htm

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2017, 6:11pm by E8M 86 A-B » Logged

E8M 86 A-B
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #38 on: Mar 14th, 2017, 8:48pm »

An excellent collection of vintage photos showcasing ATSF (and other railroads) TOFC/tractor trailer operations......

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/135319163775304078/

« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2017, 8:52pm by E8M 86 A-B » Logged

E8M 86 A-B
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #39 on: Mar 16th, 2017, 4:48pm »

Santa Fe and the "Red Ball"........

http://kanhaul.com/about-us/

Page courtesy off Kan-Haul

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2017, 4:49pm by E8M 86 A-B » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »