Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 16th, 2017, 9:56pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Last 100 Posts
 1   Regionals and Short Lines / WNYP / Re: Portageville Bridge Update  Posted Today at 7:47pm 
Response #28 By centercab       Thread Started By roc
Major bucks aside, I remember the complete Kinzua  Bridge, walked it several times. Historically even the remains have are significant but honestly it's only a shadow of it's former self.
  ReplyReply   Reply w/QuoteReply w/Quote  

2   Model Railroading / Scratchbuild / Re: A New Layout    Posted Today at 3:20pm 
Response #73 By moocow       Thread Started By moocow       View Thread with IMG_0769_724x443.jpg - 59265 Bytes
having grown to 12 1/2 inches the (6th) roof is under construction  
roof with formers

Attached Image:  IMG_0769_724x443.jpg - 59265 Bytes

3   Fallen Flags / ffgeneral / Re: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?  Posted Today at 3:19pm 
Response #391 By BlackDiamond1964       Thread Started By grvolans
I've started a new Facebook page to show the progress of this Laurel Line project.
https://www.facebook.com/BlackDiamondWorkshop

4   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Modeling the 1870's    Posted Today at 5:37am 
Response #43 By toptrain       Thread Started By Man with no Name       View Thread with Central_Pacific_Pass_s.jpg - 234191 Bytes
This is the Tyco radial roof, 1860 Passenger car in Central Pacific colors.
 frank
Attached Image:  Central_Pacific_Pass_s.jpg - 234191 Bytes

5   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Modeling the 1870's    Posted Today at 5:33am 
Response #42 By toptrain       Thread Started By Man with no Name       View Thread with Central_Pacific_s.jpg - 216503 Bytes
Mantua - Tyco Also produced radial roofed passenger cars. There were two types. Combine car and Passenger car. They were called 1860 cars.  

This is the 1860 Combine. Central Pacific colors by Tyco.

Attached Image:  Central_Pacific_s.jpg - 216503 Bytes

6   Regionals and Short Lines / WNYP / Re: Portageville Bridge Update  Posted Today at 2:53am 
Response #27 By roc       Thread Started By roc
on Aug 9th, 2017, 9:48pm, centercab wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Agree. Old bridge would become "clutter" as per the bighams projected view of new structure. Progress in this case is good, new  bridge is elegant

The Kinzua Viaduct tragedy also comes to mind. That said, perhaps a truncated section of the bridge. That, however, would take major bucks that would be better spent on road maintenance (no new roads please) and transit.

7   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017  Posted Aug 15th, 2017, 3:54pm 
Response #85 By Goose5       Thread Started By CPRail4744
2 cars southbound from Superior Propane at 12:25.

8   Model Railroading / Scratchbuild / Re: A New Layout    Posted Aug 15th, 2017, 3:10pm 
Response #72 By moocow       Thread Started By moocow       View Thread with RHODE_ISLAND_RR_003_-_Copy.jpg - 84646 Bytes
the actual Boon St Station was 123' long and 32' wide
it is still in existence now a laundromat
Attached Image:  RHODE_ISLAND_RR_003_-_Copy.jpg - 84646 Bytes

9   Model Railroading / Scratchbuild / Re: A New Layout    Posted Aug 15th, 2017, 3:06pm 
Response #71 By moocow       Thread Started By moocow       View Thread with Boon_st_stat_mock_up_IMG_0766_3_724x376.jpg - 54537 Bytes
squeezing in behind the engine house and jammed up against the backdrop is a mock up of 1/2 model compressed Boon St Station.  

this is the 4th mock up, each one seems to be bigger than the one before.  it has grown from 7 1/2 inches to 11 inches so far.  next try will lengthen the open shed end.

Attached Image:  Boon_st_stat_mock_up_IMG_0766_3_724x376.jpg - 54537 Bytes

10   Regionals and Short Lines / GenShorts / Re: B&P/G&W/R&S/D&MM In NY/PA  Posted Aug 15th, 2017, 2:04pm 
Response #142 By towny72       Thread Started By thebigham
That is the scuttlebutt.    

When will it happen or will it. Wait back and see! Since the word of that power move came to the surface there have been some changes in MGT over that dept.

11   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  Posted Aug 15th, 2017, 2:46am 
Response #48 By torch       Thread Started By torch
Sunday, June 17, 1990,  southbound at langford :  gp35,gp38ac , 4 government hoppers, a yellow Milwaukee Road hopper, 60 foot CP gondola, one propane car, fifty foot grey,ribside CP boxcar,  fifty foot grey waffleside CP boxcar and caboose.

12   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  Posted Aug 15th, 2017, 2:42am 
Response #47 By torch       Thread Started By torch
Im back, boys!  heres more continuing.  Friday,June 15 , Vic west yard, northbound freight: gp38ac #3001, gp35 #5025 , two grey nahx hoppers, 40' red cp box, 3 propane cars, 50 foot brown southern double door boxcar, 50 foot orange cp ribside boxcar, government hopper, 50 foot NW gondola and caboose.    I rode bicycle back toward langford after watching the northbound depart and when I was around the thetis lake overpass area I heard a horn.   A southbound extra  appeared , to my surprise.  Two gp35s, one gp38ac , 39 empty trailertrain flat cars and cabbose.  Obviously this was to set up for a northbound military train.  I didnt catch the northbound military train the next day but guessing from the previous southbound that included seven trailer train flats   that wouldve made the northbound military train 47 cars,including caboose!!

13   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video  Posted Aug 14th, 2017, 11:00pm 
Response #1910 By cn2220       Thread Started By cn2220
Are they wearing Beltpack harnesses?

14   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Let's see your engines!  Posted Aug 14th, 2017, 6:12pm 
Response #820 By toptrain       Thread Started By MH765
 It's Ok I was just embarrassed that I didn't answer it sooner.
 frank

15   Fallen Flags / ffgeneral / Re: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?    Posted Aug 14th, 2017, 5:08pm 
Response #390 By BlackDiamond1964       Thread Started By grvolans       Linked Image Included, Click Here to View Entire Post
I've been working on models of the Laurel Line infrastructure. Here is a look at the Scranton Station. I've also made the carshops, Scranton Depot, Standard Beef Building (building in front of the depot) and the small Laurel Line Dispatchers office.

Linked Image:  http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/0fa830732e553dc40a8d0a0f19ba5d22.jpg

I'm about to make a model of the Laurel Line Powerhouse but I'm coming up short on reference pictures. Anybody have pictures of this structure they would like to share?

16   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Let's see your engines!  Posted Aug 14th, 2017, 3:52pm 
Response #819 By Henry       Thread Started By MH765
It is better to compose complicated replies in a text editor and then paste it to the forum post editor rather than rely on your browser window to keep intact. Most browsers don't cache text that is in web page FORM elements so if you accidentally hit anything that changes the window contents you lose the partially composed post.

I didn't mean for you to go to all that trouble Frank. I was just going by the three porthole sides and high fans on the Gilberts while the Lionel F3's had two porthole sides and later low fans. I think Lionel's were done in 1948 with help from GM/EMD.

17   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Let's see your engines!  Posted Aug 14th, 2017, 1:55pm 
Response #818 By toptrain       Thread Started By MH765
on Aug 13th, 2017, 2:48am, Henry wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That's an interesting model of an early F3. It must have been designed before Lionel's O gauge F3.

http://gilbertho.org/

* Because I went back to assist in getting a good answer for Henry and acquired the link above, then I came back and this site threw away all I have composed. It was a large paragraph. I guess henry the link will have to do. You could go there and look it up. You will see that L-3003 is one of the last few Gilbert F3's given Gilbert numbers and that was 1956. I have B&O F3a 421 it I think is 1946. That is a 10 year period and may help with the design date Henry spoke of.
 frank

18   Fallen Flags / ATSF / Re: SF's passenger equipment, post-AMTRAK  Posted Aug 13th, 2017, 8:52pm 
Response #9 By ClydeDET       Thread Started By E8M 86 A-B
Well in 1966, not Penn Central yet. PRR. nd not ANYTHING close to AT&SF service. Not on time, either (except leaving Chicago).

Had occasion to go to Chicago mid to late 1974, on Uncle's nickel. Equipment was ex-Santa Fe (cars - power was AMTRAK SDP-40Fs, two of them), and one (put on at Fort Worth) former CB&Q Cal Zephyr round-end dome observation/sleeper/lounge. Wonderful view, but A/C wasn't working, so nobody in the rooms. Crew was still ex-Santa Fe and meals were what they had been Good.

19   Model Railroading / Scratchbuild / Re: A New Layout  Posted Aug 13th, 2017, 4:10pm 
Response #70 By moocow       Thread Started By moocow
should point out  
there is a view block 3 1/2 inches in front of the backdrop covered in "improved lichen" (lichen dipped in rubber cement and then in salvaged ground foam) from "the vault of the ages" (a box of stuff salvaged from 50 years of model railroading)  
the view block conceals the "escape track" which connects the staging yards

20   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Let's see your engines!  Posted Aug 13th, 2017, 2:48am 
Response #817 By Henry       Thread Started By MH765
That's an interesting model of an early F3. It must have been designed before Lionel's O gauge F3.

21   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Let's see your engines!    Posted Aug 12th, 2017, 7:32pm 
Response #816 By toptrain       Thread Started By MH765       View Thread with L-3003_s.jpg - 155245 Bytes
This is a Gilbert Santa Fe F3A # L-3003.
frank
Attached Image:  L-3003_s.jpg - 155245 Bytes

22   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: HO cars 1950's-1960's, with 30's and 40's thrown in.    Posted Aug 12th, 2017, 7:21pm 
Response #380 By toptrain       Thread Started By toptrain       View Thread with 126_Sinclair_s.jpg - 208908 Bytes
Here is a hard to find Gilbert Sinclair #126 tank car. This car was cataloged and sold for 4 years 1946 to 1950.
 frank

Attached Image:  126_Sinclair_s.jpg - 208908 Bytes

23   North American Railroads / CSX / Re: CSX Sightings / Discussion 2017    Posted Aug 12th, 2017, 3:43pm 
Response #29 By co_riff       Thread Started By YeOldeEnjine       Linked Image Included, Click Here to View Entire Post
Visitor on the CSX Ohio River Sub. in Point Pleasant,WV

Linked Image:  http://www.trainboard.com/highball/index.php?media/dpp_0130.130614/full&d=1502540896

Curtis

24   Locomotives and Rolling Stock / RollingStock / Re: Help - CSX lost a railcar  Posted Aug 11th, 2017, 4:20pm 
Response #11 By RTexeon       Thread Started By Skid_Vicious
on Apr 14th, 2017, 1:30pm, George_Harris wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Tried to think of a polite answer to this, but think I will just answer straight out since your company is not paying me either directly or indirectly.  
This is where you should have started instead of trying to get a freeby out of fans.  If you want a local guide you could probably find one for a fee find help.  (Note to anyone thinking about being such:  Do not underprice yourself.  They should be willing to put out some serious money here.  This is from one who knows the difference between his pay rate, which ain't bad and what my employer charges for my time.)

So far seems that we have been pulling factual information out one item at a time. Back to the last unanswered question:

What is the commodity, or at the least, is it placarded and with what placard?  Follow this up with any and all useful information, such as waybilled destination, why Gainsville, more specifics on last known sighting where and when, etc., etc.  Otherwise you are wasting your time and ours.

If you want a local guide you could probably find one for a fee find help......

Sometimes I have this problem in finding rail cars also.  

I would like to know if there are any forums or places to contact rail fanners that may be able to see certain yards or have access if they are in the biz.  This is something that I know our company would pay for if price was reasonable. Obviously, honesty here is important so I will state first off that my company is in the rail car leasing and sales biz. Some of our business is brokered sales or leases and so when it comes to getting information on rail cars thru Steelroads or the individual Class I's - not being a party to the waybill makes it very difficult to find a car sometimes past the track and trace reporting. This post sounds like that scenario.

I've been looking for a particular car myself so I stumbled on this post and curiosity made me check it out. I am coming up hard pressed to even find a yardmaster's phone number sometimes, so it would be nice to know that I could check the forums to see if there was anyone out there willing to check a yard or an industry side track if they are in the area.

Thanks, Chris

25   Regionals and Short Lines / GenShorts / Re: B&P/G&W/R&S/D&MM In NY/PA  Posted Aug 11th, 2017, 2:22pm 
Response #141 By Sean       Thread Started By thebigham
Is there strong likelihood of the SD70M-2s being transferred from the P&W to B&P as stated on railpictures.net? If so, when are they expected to be relocated?

26   Regional Area Operations / WNYClass1 / Re: Trackside in western NY    Posted Aug 10th, 2017, 8:14pm 
Response #6 By Matthew_L       Thread Started By Matthew_L       Linked Image Included, Click Here to View Entire Post
I was out in western NY 3 weeks ago this evening. CSX and NS run side by side from Hamburg to Dunkirk. I chose the Bayview Road crossing, which is one of my favorite location to railfan in greater Buffalo.

NS 316 heading east on the former NKP mainline:

Linked Image:  http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab139/Erielackawanna/2017/July%202017/0720%20Hamburg%20NY/DSCN6260.jpg

NS 316 had welded rail flats in the consist:

Linked Image:  http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab139/Erielackawanna/2017/July%202017/0720%20Hamburg%20NY/DSCN6272.jpg

CSX intermodal heading east, with a classic NYC signal bridge overhead:

Linked Image:  http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab139/Erielackawanna/2017/July%202017/0720%20Hamburg%20NY/DSCN6325.jpg

For the rest of the action at Bayview Road, please visit this slide show:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2017/July%202017/0720%20Hamburg%20NY

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Thursday 7/20/0217 in Hamburg, NY.

27   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017  Posted Aug 10th, 2017, 3:28pm 
Response #84 By Goose5       Thread Started By CPRail4744
Light engines northbound for Superior Propane at 10:50. Returned with 2 cars at 12:20.

28   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  Posted Aug 10th, 2017, 12:21pm 
Response #1107 By tomc       Thread Started By ErieAtlantic7597
Moosey, look into Flickr.  I use it but get it free from AT&T with my account.

Tom C.

29   Regionals and Short Lines / WNYP / Re: Portageville Bridge Update  Posted Aug 9th, 2017, 9:48pm 
Response #26 By centercab       Thread Started By roc
on Jul 25th, 2017, 11:08pm, roc wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Will change the view for the better.

Agree. Old bridge would become "clutter" as per the bighams projected view of new structure. Progress in this case is good, new  bridge is elegant

30   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  Posted Aug 9th, 2017, 5:05pm 
Response #1106 By moose_the_caboose       Thread Started By ErieAtlantic7597
Losing the neked chicken look!  Great!

Looking for a third party hosting site for all my pics...suggestions?

moose

31   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: Vancouver Island Model Railways  Posted Aug 9th, 2017, 4:59pm 
Response #300 By MinionII       Thread Started By cn2220
on Aug 3rd, 2017, 10:00pm, churlish wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I have no idea how to stumble across it! I'll see about adding it to dreams and designs. I'm not up to speed on their structure either.

It looks like the blog area functions the same as the discussion forums, you just click on blogs instead of discussion forums. And if you click on recent posts, it displays both blog posts and forum posts. All good!

I'm looking forward to seeing more!

32   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: HO cars 1950's-1960's, with 30's and 40's thrown in.    Posted Aug 9th, 2017, 12:57pm 
Response #379 By toptrain       Thread Started By toptrain       View Thread with 08643_s.jpg - 118040 Bytes
A Lionel box car I recently got is The Alaska Railroad # 08643.
frank
Attached Image:  08643_s.jpg - 118040 Bytes

33   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video  Posted Aug 9th, 2017, 3:02am 
Response #1909 By MinionII       Thread Started By cn2220
I definitely want to catch that someday soon.

Thanks for posting this set of pictures. Looks like 17 cars were pulled off the barge? Any idea what the barge capacity is?

34   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  Posted Aug 9th, 2017, 12:29am 
Response #1105 By SteamHeaton       Thread Started By ErieAtlantic7597
Thank you Henry.  It's been fun starting to work on the cosmetic part of this build now.  Ray III

35   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  Posted Aug 9th, 2017, 12:05am 
Response #1104 By Henry       Thread Started By ErieAtlantic7597
That looks great Ray!

Henry

36   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 10:11pm 
Response #1103 By SteamHeaton       Thread Started By ErieAtlantic7597       View Thread with 2017-08-08_21.06.40.jpg - 236052 Bytes
Actual IC pilot.
Attached Image:  2017-08-08_21.06.40.jpg - 236052 Bytes

37   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 10:10pm 
Response #1102 By SteamHeaton       Thread Started By ErieAtlantic7597       View Thread with 2017-08-08_21.05.30.jpg - 265033 Bytes
Almost finished.
Attached Image:  2017-08-08_21.05.30.jpg - 265033 Bytes

38   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 10:00pm 
Response #1101 By SteamHeaton       Thread Started By ErieAtlantic7597
All welded, just needs to be cleaned up, before painting.

39   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 7:13pm 
Response #1100 By SteamHeaton       Thread Started By ErieAtlantic7597
Thanks Bobby.

40   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:55pm 
Response #1908 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0018-2.jpg - 103058 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0018-2.jpg - 103058 Bytes

41   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:54pm 
Response #1907 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0017-3.jpg - 110056 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0017-3.jpg - 110056 Bytes

42   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:53pm 
Response #1906 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0016-4.jpg - 112813 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0016-4.jpg - 112813 Bytes

43   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:52pm 
Response #1905 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0015-5.jpg - 127279 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0015-5.jpg - 127279 Bytes

44   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:51pm 
Response #1904 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0014-6.jpg - 127846 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0014-6.jpg - 127846 Bytes

45   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:50pm 
Response #1903 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0013-7.jpg - 115045 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0013-7.jpg - 115045 Bytes

46   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:49pm 
Response #1902 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0012-7.jpg - 117139 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0012-7.jpg - 117139 Bytes

47   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: Alberni Pacific Railway  Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:49pm 
Response #12 By aprsteamer       Thread Started By cycledude
Just to clarify, the #11 locomotive is a 45 ton engine, not 65 ton as reported

48   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:48pm 
Response #1901 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0011-7.jpg - 98159 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0011-7.jpg - 98159 Bytes

49   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:48pm 
Response #1900 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0010-7.jpg - 117116 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0010-7.jpg - 117116 Bytes

50   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:47pm 
Response #1899 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0009-11.jpg - 89196 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0009-11.jpg - 89196 Bytes

51   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:46pm 
Response #1898 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0008-14.jpg - 81014 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0008-14.jpg - 81014 Bytes

52   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:45pm 
Response #1897 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0007-15.jpg - 102063 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0007-15.jpg - 102063 Bytes

53   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:44pm 
Response #1896 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0006-21.jpg - 77364 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0006-21.jpg - 77364 Bytes

54   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:43pm 
Response #1895 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0005-26.jpg - 122553 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0005-26.jpg - 122553 Bytes

55   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:42pm 
Response #1894 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0004-34.jpg - 108846 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0004-34.jpg - 108846 Bytes

56   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:41pm 
Response #1893 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0003-42.jpg - 150974 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0003-42.jpg - 150974 Bytes

57   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:40pm 
Response #1892 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0002-47.jpg - 75414 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0002-47.jpg - 75414 Bytes

58   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N/SVI photos and video    Posted Aug 8th, 2017, 5:39pm 
Response #1891 By Goose5       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with DSC_0001-43.jpg - 109941 Bytes
Here are some photos of the barge unloading taken today. I took a break from work and went over to the yard for an hour. Soon I will try to take a set showing both the unloading and loading. The slight orange hazy look in the photos is from the smoke over Nanaimo being blown west from the forest fires in the B.C. interior.

Attached Image:  DSC_0001-43.jpg - 109941 Bytes

59   Model Railroading / Scratchbuild / Re: A New Layout  Posted Aug 7th, 2017, 11:27pm 
Response #69 By TAB       Thread Started By moocow
....I like the way all the colors blend together with each other....Tom

60   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: Trains out and about on the SR&CL Ry    Posted Aug 7th, 2017, 7:58pm 
Response #160 By tomc       Thread Started By tomc       View Thread with 3-25_on_big_fill_with_new_Jennie_0i8-07-17.jpg - 133792 Bytes
#25 brought up our flat with the Jennies (yes two Generators as we got a used one from Jack's Cousin).  The red one is the old one.  An electric chain saw is much quieter and the jennie is a ways off so it doesn't add much noise.  

Tom C.
Attached Image:  3-25_on_big_fill_with_new_Jennie_0i8-07-17.jpg - 133792 Bytes

61   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: Trains out and about on the SR&CL Ry    Posted Aug 7th, 2017, 7:54pm 
Response #159 By tomc       Thread Started By tomc       View Thread with 1-CBE_branch_08-07-17.jpg - 161549 Bytes
Today we were out cleaning off branches from the big tree on the CBE branch.  We got the wood chipper on the tractor and made some big piles of MULCH!  Here is a pic of what we did, compare to the previous post of it.  As a side note, it is hard to get a pic that really shows the work involved.  The white spots are two of the piles, the third is to close to the bank to get into the shot.

Tom C.
Attached Image:  1-CBE_branch_08-07-17.jpg - 161549 Bytes

62   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: Trains out and about on the SR&CL Ry  Posted Aug 7th, 2017, 7:46pm 
Response #158 By tomc       Thread Started By tomc
on Aug 7th, 2017, 4:57pm, BobbyT wrote:       (Click here for original message)
WOW! That sure was lucky. But looking at the bright side, look at all those future wood loads.

Hi Bobby,

Probably a week's worth of wood when split.  We are busy clearing down trees!  More pics to come.  I hope I won't bore everyone.

Tom C.

63   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: Trains out and about on the SR&CL Ry  Posted Aug 7th, 2017, 7:43pm 
Response #157 By tomc       Thread Started By tomc
on Aug 7th, 2017, 9:09am, George_Harris wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Amazing.  Looks like it could have been shaped and put there by design.  Is this high enough to go under?  Looks to be maybe for equipment, but too low for riders on top?  Would be an interesting feature if it could be left.

Hi George, well the flat cars could go under it, but we use the spur to load wood so we will cut it up and haul it to the woodshed.  Sometime the coach may go up here and it wouldn't clear.

Tom C.

64   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  Posted Aug 7th, 2017, 4:58pm 
Response #1099 By BobbyT       Thread Started By ErieAtlantic7597
Ray, the cab looks fantastic.

65   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: Trains out and about on the SR&CL Ry  Posted Aug 7th, 2017, 4:57pm 
Response #156 By BobbyT       Thread Started By tomc
WOW! That sure was lucky. But looking at the bright side, look at all those future wood loads.

66   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: HO cars 1950's-1960's, with 30's and 40's thrown in.    Posted Aug 7th, 2017, 4:38pm 
Response #378 By toptrain       Thread Started By toptrain       View Thread with 08361_s.jpg - 95706 Bytes
Another Lionel HO car from 1958 is the Alaska Railroad coal car #08361.
 frank
Attached Image:  08361_s.jpg - 95706 Bytes

67   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: Trains out and about on the SR&CL Ry  Posted Aug 7th, 2017, 9:09am 
Response #155 By George_Harris       Thread Started By tomc
on Aug 6th, 2017, 7:32pm, tomc wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Clear Lake had a tree down on the spur track and it missed hitting it from the arch in the tree.
We lucked out again!

Tom C.

Amazing.  Looks like it could have been shaped and put there by design.  Is this high enough to go under?  Looks to be maybe for equipment, but too low for riders on top?  Would be an interesting feature if it could be left.

68   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: Trains out and about on the SR&CL Ry  Posted Aug 6th, 2017, 11:59pm 
Response #154 By Henry       Thread Started By tomc
Amazing! May it be a harbinger of future luck!

69   North American Railroads / NS / Re: NS photos 2017    Posted Aug 6th, 2017, 8:29pm 
Response #21 By Matthew_L       Thread Started By Matthew_L       Linked Image Included, Click Here to View Entire Post
I headed back to my hometown for a class reunion last month, with a slight detour along the way. I was trying to intercept the NS Erie heritage unit, so I drove over to the Southern Tier Mainline. Unfortunately, NS 22K ( led by #1068 ) was delayed. However, I did manage a nice grab of NS 37T... which had a KCS unit leading.

Linked Image:  http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab139/Erielackawanna/2017/July%202017/0715%20Cameron%20NY/DSCN6150.jpg

To see the rest of this shots of this train, please visit my slide show:

http://s857.photobucket.com/user/Erielackawanna/slideshow/2017/July%202017/0715%20Cameron%20NY

All photos in the link and the photo in this post were taken by me Saturday 7/15/2017 in Cameron, NY. The Erie RR referred to this location as Brown's Crossing back in the day.

70   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: Trains out and about on the SR&CL Ry    Posted Aug 6th, 2017, 7:33pm 
Response #153 By tomc       Thread Started By tomc       View Thread with 2-Spur_Track_at_Clear_Lake_08-04-17.jpg - 153847 Bytes
Another View.

Tom C.
Attached Image:  2-Spur_Track_at_Clear_Lake_08-04-17.jpg - 153847 Bytes

71   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: Trains out and about on the SR&CL Ry    Posted Aug 6th, 2017, 7:32pm 
Response #152 By tomc       Thread Started By tomc       View Thread with 1-Spur_Track_at_Clear_Lake_08-04-17.jpg - 166291 Bytes
Clear Lake had a tree down on the spur track and it missed hitting it from the arch in the tree.
We lucked out again!

Tom C.
Attached Image:  1-Spur_Track_at_Clear_Lake_08-04-17.jpg - 166291 Bytes

72   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals / Infrastructure / Re: Portageville High Bridge-Replacement? Letchworth Park, NY  Posted Aug 5th, 2017, 7:14pm 
Response #84 By ClydeDET       Thread Started By George_Harris
Quite a bridge, no question.

73   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals / Infrastructure / Re: Draw vs. swing vs. lift  Posted Aug 5th, 2017, 7:11pm 
Response #90 By ClydeDET       Thread Started By JOHN_LUTHER_JONES
on Jul 23rd, 2017, 9:16pm, George_Harris wrote:       (Click here for original message)

And if I am right, on the Palestine - Conroe - Houston line of the MoPac used by the Houston section of the Texas Eagle.  

Guess I should get the maps out, but that sounds right. Goes through Crockett and on south.

74   The Mainline / Railroading / Re: Regulators and Regulations - FRA  Posted Aug 5th, 2017, 6:58pm 
Response #2 By ClydeDET       Thread Started By George_Harris
Well, he will, if he follows the Trump guidelines, get a lot of push-back from people nd organizations invested in the regulations as they exist. Like a lot of other things - will just have wait, watch, and see.

75   Special Interests / NYCSMarine / Tugboat #35 Going Down The Ways    Posted Aug 5th, 2017, 2:11pm 
NEW Post By waterlevel       View Thread with Tugboat3150.jpg - 437863 Bytes
Shipyard launching of New York Central #35.
Attached Image:  Tugboat3150.jpg - 437863 Bytes

76   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: B&M NW2 #1201 in 1.6" scale  Posted Aug 5th, 2017, 2:03pm 
Response #87 By SteamHeaton       Thread Started By B+MNW21201
Looks real good Bobby  !

77   Fallen Flags / LV / Re: Easton & Northern Branch Info    Posted Aug 5th, 2017, 8:26am 
Response #86 By gfluck1       Thread Started By DElder       View Thread with 17498960_1573673245994075_3151468933640474842_n.jpg - 141574 Bytes
Photo below is of Butz Dam (circa 1900) and in the background the LV freight depot, and if that tree weren't in the foreground we could also see the freight house to the left.
Attached Image:  17498960_1573673245994075_3151468933640474842_n.jpg - 141574 Bytes

78   Fallen Flags / LV / Re: Easton & Northern Branch Info    Posted Aug 5th, 2017, 8:23am 
Response #85 By gfluck1       Thread Started By DElder       View Thread with ENB_Tatamy_Station.jpg - 216704 Bytes
Tatamy Depot 1955 (Photographer C.T. Andrews)

Attached Image:  ENB_Tatamy_Station.jpg - 216704 Bytes

79   Fallen Flags / LV / Re: Easton & Northern Branch Info    Posted Aug 5th, 2017, 8:20am 
Response #84 By gfluck1       Thread Started By DElder       View Thread with ENB_Bushkill_Street.jpg - 310396 Bytes
Lehigh Valley Freight Depot end-of-the-line at Bushkill Street, view of southeast corner, circa 1955 (Photographer C.T. Andrews)

Attached Image:  ENB_Bushkill_Street.jpg - 310396 Bytes

80   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON    Posted Aug 4th, 2017, 9:28pm 
Response #1098 By SteamHeaton       Thread Started By ErieAtlantic7597       View Thread with 2017-08-04_20.25.53.jpg - 90519 Bytes
IC pilot. I had to make 2 different dies to press the 2 different  size ribs for this pilot.  Ray III
Attached Image:  2017-08-04_20.25.53.jpg - 90519 Bytes

81   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON    Posted Aug 4th, 2017, 9:24pm 
Response #1097 By SteamHeaton       Thread Started By ErieAtlantic7597       View Thread with 2017-08-04_20.22.04.jpg - 90696 Bytes
Cab
Attached Image:  2017-08-04_20.22.04.jpg - 90696 Bytes

82   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  Posted Aug 4th, 2017, 9:23pm 
Response #1096 By SteamHeaton       Thread Started By ErieAtlantic7597
Cab

83   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON    Posted Aug 4th, 2017, 9:21pm 
Response #1095 By SteamHeaton       Thread Started By ErieAtlantic7597       View Thread with 2017-08-04_20.17.05.jpg - 405640 Bytes
Cab , and bands ready for a jacket.
Attached Image:  2017-08-04_20.17.05.jpg - 405640 Bytes

84   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON  Posted Aug 4th, 2017, 9:20pm 
Response #1094 By SteamHeaton       Thread Started By ErieAtlantic7597
I have not posted on here in quite a while.  I now have the cab , and IC pilot finished.   The I also have blocks welded to the boiler and bands welded to the blocks. This will hold the jacket to the proper OD.

85   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017  Posted Aug 4th, 2017, 6:43pm 
Response #83 By Goose5       Thread Started By CPRail4744
4 cars northbound for Superior Propane at 2:00. Returned with 1 car at 3:40. Rare back to back days with multiple cars.

86   Fallen Flags / Lackawanna / Ferry Binghamton  Posted Aug 4th, 2017, 3:36pm 
NEW Post By slotracer
There are local news reports out there with video of them finally scrapping the Binghamton. I didn't supply any links but you will find them quick with a google search.
Ship was a restaraunt for years but abandoned for about a decade and looked way beyond any hope of salvage.

87   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: Vancouver Island Model Railways  Posted Aug 3rd, 2017, 10:00pm 
Response #299 By churlish       Thread Started By cn2220
on Jul 30th, 2017, 2:17pm, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That's great! Can't wait to see more.

EDIT: How would one 'stumble across' your thread on MRH? I figured it would be in the discussion forums under 'dream and design', but it's actually in a blog area...I'm not up to speed on navigating the blogs...

I have no idea how to stumble across it! I'll see about adding it to dreams and designs. I'm not up to speed on their structure either.

88   Fallen Flags / LV / Re: LV - State Line & Sullivan Branch 1941    Posted Aug 3rd, 2017, 8:27pm 
Response #86 By gfluck1       Thread Started By gfluck1       View Thread with Bernice_1958.jpg - 56168 Bytes
Photo of Bernice station (circa 195 shared by Greg Gunshore on Facebook.
Attached Image:  Bernice_1958.jpg - 56168 Bytes

89   Fallen Flags / LV / Re: LV - State Line & Sullivan Branch 1941    Posted Aug 3rd, 2017, 8:26pm 
Response #85 By gfluck1       Thread Started By gfluck1       View Thread with Dushore_1971.jpg - 63774 Bytes
Photo of Dushore station (circa 1971) shared by Greg Gunshore on Facebook.
Attached Image:  Dushore_1971.jpg - 63774 Bytes

90   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017  Posted Aug 3rd, 2017, 7:30pm 
Response #82 By Goose5       Thread Started By CPRail4744
4 cars northbound for Superior Propane at 2:45. Returned with 5 cars at 4:25.

91   Fallen Flags / LV / Re: Montrose Branch Questions    Posted Aug 3rd, 2017, 7:05pm 
Response #14 By gfluck1       Thread Started By Ashley_John       View Thread with S_Montrose_1920.jpg - 64275 Bytes
Photo of South Montrose station (circa 1920) shared by Greg Gunshore on Facebook.
Attached Image:  S_Montrose_1920.jpg - 64275 Bytes

92   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals / Infrastructure / Re: Portageville High Bridge-Replacement? Letchworth Park, NY  Posted Aug 3rd, 2017, 5:03pm 
Response #83 By George_Harris       Thread Started By George_Harris
Information on bridge frorm Modjeski and Masters (the designers) web site:
http://www.modjeski.com/projects/detail.aspx?Portageville-Arch

Total bridge length:  819 feet
Main Span length:  483 feet
Total track relocation:  4200+/- feet
Single track ballasted deck

Heigth above stream not given in their description

93   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals / Infrastructure / Re: Portageville High Bridge-Replacement? Letchworth Park, NY  Posted Aug 3rd, 2017, 4:43pm 
Response #82 By George_Harris       Thread Started By George_Harris
Awesome shot!!!!

94   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals / Infrastructure / Re: Portageville High Bridge-Replacement? Letchworth Park, NY    Posted Aug 3rd, 2017, 9:50am 
Response #81 By thebigham       Thread Started By George_Harris       View Thread with letchworth2.jpg - 488166 Bytes
Click to see a bigger pic.
Attached Image:  letchworth2.jpg - 488166 Bytes

95   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals / Infrastructure / Re: Portageville High Bridge-Replacement? Letchworth Park, NY    Posted Aug 3rd, 2017, 9:49am 
Response #80 By thebigham       Thread Started By George_Harris       View Thread with letchworth.jpg - 276287 Bytes
The arch is finished!
Attached Image:  letchworth.jpg - 276287 Bytes

96   Regionals and Short Lines / RBMN / R&N brings home anthracite bacon with Ukraine coal deal  Posted Aug 2nd, 2017, 12:14pm 
NEW Post By roc
Reading & Northern to supply rail cars for Ukraine coal deal

Reading & Northern Railroad will supply coal cars as part of Pennsylvania-based Xcoal Energy and Resources' deal to ship 700,000 tons of coal for energy production in Ukraine.

Half the tonnage will be made up of Pennsylvania anthracite shipped from mines served by Reading & Northern. Reading Anthracite Coal of Pottsville has handled the acquisition of the 350,000 tons of anthracite, according to a Reading & Northern press release.

[MORE]

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/short_lines_regionals/news/Reading-Northern-to-supply-rail-cars-for-Ukraine-coal-deal--52316

97   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017  Posted Aug 2nd, 2017, 12:00pm 
Response #81 By Goose5       Thread Started By CPRail4744
Yes, I'll start posting the times again. As far as yesterday it was a rare morning run with 1 locomotive. Northbound was about 9:25 returning about 10:45.

98   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Modeling the 1870's    Posted Aug 2nd, 2017, 8:06am 
Response #41 By toptrain       Thread Started By Man with no Name       View Thread with IMG_1616_S.jpg - 229532 Bytes
** Here is the Mail Car. An old fashion combine. It also has a radial roof.
frank
Attached Image:  IMG_1616_S.jpg - 229532 Bytes

99   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Modeling the 1870's    Posted Aug 2nd, 2017, 8:05am 
Response #40 By toptrain       Thread Started By Man with no Name       View Thread with IMG_1615_S.jpg - 232121 Bytes
** Here is an old plastic radial roof passenger that was sold as a kit.  
* I have a 1957 AHC catalog and these passenger cars are there on two pages, 23 and 28. They were sold by a trail line named "Trail-Blazers". Made by a company named "Advanced Molding Corp". They made singularly and in sets all their cars. A 4-4-0 General, Passenger car, Mail car, box car, gondola, and a unique 4 wheel caboose. I have all the cars.
frank
Attached Image:  IMG_1615_S.jpg - 232121 Bytes

100   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017  Posted Aug 2nd, 2017, 1:27am 
Response #80 By MinionII       Thread Started By CPRail4744
on Jul 20th, 2017, 7:09pm, Goose5 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

To be of more help I can post the north and south time that the train passes my place (which I used to do when I started doing this). Please post if you would like me to do this so a pattern can be determined. Today was light engines in both directions with the northbound being at 12:35 and southbound at 2:15. Generally the northbound rolls by between noon and 1:00 (I am not always home to see it though) and the southbound anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 1/4 hours later depending on whether cars need to be pulled to Wellington siding for the runaround to head south. From where I live it would be probably be 20-25+ minutes to cover the distance to and from the yard. This should give an idea when the train actually leaves and arrives back to the yard. As for the barge, it is generally switched on Monday mornings (except on a holiday) after about 8:00. I should get down to get some photos but I work most Mondays. Anyway, hopefully this helps a bit.

Dave

Hello Dave,

Yeah the times would be great...maybe there is a pattern there.

The data on the barge service is appreciated, Mondays after 8 is good to know. Hopefully I'll be able to act on it...

Much appreciated,
AP

Click Here to Return to the Main Index