Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 23rd, 2017, 8:51am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Last 100 Posts
 1   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: What type of wood do you use for your ties?  Posted Today at 7:48am 
Response #1 By tomc       Thread Started By Darthmoose74
Hi, we use what ever we can find for free.  Wood doesnt care about temp but dislikes moisture.  WE put ours into the dirt and find they last about 5 years.  If you can afford treated lumber for ground contact, you will find it will last longer.  The next best thing is to get it up on ballast that will drain the water and let the tie dry out after moister contact.  A lot of people buy their wood at a lumber yard and cut to size with a table saw.  I havent seen anyone offer pre-cut tie unless you go to plastic.  

Tom C.
  ReplyReply   Reply w/QuoteReply w/Quote  

2   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: Getting into Live Steam  Posted Today at 7:41am 
Response #1 By tomc       Thread Started By roberticus01
Hi Rob,  welcome to the forum.

Sure you can find people that will build for cash.  Save all your pennies as it isnt cheap.

Tom C.

3   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / What type of wood do you use for your ties?  Posted Sep 22nd, 2017, 8:35am 
NEW Post By Darthmoose74
There is a great thread about ties on this forum and all the different ways to install them but I do not see a discussion on what wood types you all use.

I live in Nebraska where the weather goes from one extreme to the other in the course of a year and the area I am in has really soft dark dirt. It could be 100 degrees one day, 50 and raining the next,  -10 and snow after that. LOL

In today's options in the world of 2017, what do you use for wood in the USA when using ALUMINUM rails and do you have a links to where you get yours?

Thank you for your time.

4   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Modeling the 1870's    Posted Sep 22nd, 2017, 6:34am 
Response #46 By toptrain       Thread Started By Man with no Name       View Thread with BO_Hayes_ten_wheeler_209_feb_1982_S.jpg - 103614 Bytes
* A great old locomotive to make is the B&O Hayes 10 wheeler. #198 is drawn here on page 361.

https://books.google.com/books?id=zP46AAAAMAAJ&pg=PA361#v=onepage&q=Winans%20Camel%20Engine%20&f=false

* Now long ago I made one using a Tyco 4-6-0 as a starting point. I replaced the drivers with Varney ones from an Old Lady 2-8-0. I re-drilled the third axel to make their spacing all equal. The body was built over a Tyco 4-6-0 boiler to make sure of a perfect fit. The tender is reworked with a fireman's platform and shelter added. I kept in my collection for over 10 years. It is gone now. Only some old photos remain.
 Frank  

Attached Image:  BO_Hayes_ten_wheeler_209_feb_1982_S.jpg - 103614 Bytes

5   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: what do you do in HO scale?  Posted Sep 22nd, 2017, 6:32am 
Response #398 By Roger_Hensley       Thread Started By green_elite_cab
That is similar to the way the PRR ran through downtown Anderson. That's the look that I copied in general.

6   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Modeling the 1870's    Posted Sep 22nd, 2017, 6:04am 
Response #45 By toptrain       Thread Started By Man with no Name       View Thread with CPRR_4-8-0_pass_cars_S.jpg - 158460 Bytes
This is my Tyco Central Pacific 1870 passenger train set, at the train platform for my old Frankford station. A CP 4-8-0 pulls a combine and coach of the radial Roof type.
frank
Attached Image:  CPRR_4-8-0_pass_cars_S.jpg - 158460 Bytes

7   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: what do you do in HO scale?    Posted Sep 22nd, 2017, 5:01am 
Response #397 By toptrain       Thread Started By green_elite_cab       View Thread with cnj_allentown_S.jpg - 104712 Bytes
Here you see the CNJ trackage following the Jordan Creek. In the distance the track had already passed under the Hamilton Street Bridge on the way to pass directly under the bridge I am standing on, the Linden Street bridge, taking the photo.
frank
Attached Image:  cnj_allentown_S.jpg - 104712 Bytes

8   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: what do you do in HO scale?    Posted Sep 22nd, 2017, 4:53am 
Response #396 By toptrain       Thread Started By green_elite_cab       Linked Image Included, Click Here to View Entire Post
on Sep 21st, 2017, 6:24am, Roger_Hensley wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Linked Image:  http://madisonrails.railfan.net/eci/eci_4/riverlrg_a.jpg

Seeing the way you had a line of track follow a river to get into a location reminds me of how the CNJ got through and into Allentown, PA.
frank

9   Regionals and Short Lines / WNYP / Meadville turn Leaving Falconer today 9/21    Posted Sep 21st, 2017, 10:29pm 
NEW Post By mybronc       View Thread with wnyp_921.jpg - 165250 Bytes
Had to wait to get my car after work
Attached Image:  wnyp_921.jpg - 165250 Bytes

10   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017  Posted Sep 21st, 2017, 5:24pm 
Response #100 By Goose5       Thread Started By CPRail4744
2 cars northbound for Superior Propane at 12:45. Returned with 2 cars at 2:15.

11   North American Railroads / NS / Re: NS D8.5-40CW  Posted Sep 21st, 2017, 10:13am 
Response #6 By towny72       Thread Started By CHESSIEMIKE
8511 and 8512 in Conway, PA this morning(9/21/17). 8512 still with a primer cab.

12   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: what do you do in HO scale?    Posted Sep 21st, 2017, 6:24am 
Response #395 By Roger_Hensley       Thread Started By green_elite_cab       Linked Image Included, Click Here to View Entire Post
Linked Image:  http://madisonrails.railfan.net/eci/eci_4/riverlrg_a.jpg

13   Fallen Flags / ffgeneral / Re: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?    Posted Sep 20th, 2017, 6:12pm 
Response #393 By BlackDiamond1964       Thread Started By grvolans       Linked Image Included, Click Here to View Entire Post
In my last post I posted a picture of the Laurel Line's Wilkes-Barre Station. I'd like to make the rest of the L&WV Wilkes-Barre Yard. However finding reference pictures of these buildings is quite the task. The Wilkes-Barre Yard is a topic that came up earlier in this thread. I've been able to located where the building are. Here is a 1959 overview of the yard.

Linked Image:  http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/17a775efbd1a8d7ce30f1b29220e4945.png

Does anybody have any reference pictures of this yard or buildings? So far Google has turned up next to nothing.

14   Fallen Flags / ffgeneral / Re: Laurel Line not a Fallen Flag?    Posted Sep 20th, 2017, 6:05pm 
Response #392 By BlackDiamond1964       Thread Started By grvolans       Linked Image Included, Click Here to View Entire Post
Where are all the Laurel Line fans? They seem to be MIA again.
Here is a look at the Wilkes-Barre Station in the 3D world.
Linked Image:  http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/cad9b2708d97bcafb3e1c1ad20866e44.jpg

15   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Modeling the 1870's    Posted Sep 20th, 2017, 8:55am 
Response #44 By toptrain       Thread Started By Man with no Name       View Thread with 03-08-2011_10-24-36AM_-_S.jpg - 159730 Bytes
Going back to the Advanced molding Co. cars. They were sold as Trail Blazers sets in kit form. This is the box my freight set came in.
frank
Attached Image:  03-08-2011_10-24-36AM_-_S.jpg - 159730 Bytes

16   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Getting into Live Steam  Posted Sep 18th, 2017, 10:25pm 
NEW Post By roberticus01
Hi.  I am interested in getting into live steam railroading, but as I am 16, don't have much time between school and homework.  Hypothetically (in the future), could I hire a company to install track on my property?  I know of many people who did it by themselves and would like go if I could, but it is too much work for me at this point in time.  Thanks in advance.

~Rob

17   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: Vancouver Island Model Railways  Posted Sep 18th, 2017, 8:34pm 
Response #302 By CroftonSpur88       Thread Started By cn2220
That's a beauty!

18   Regionals and Short Lines / WNYP / STERA Report, Traffic Update  Posted Sep 18th, 2017, 8:25pm 
NEW Post By roc
Service levels: Falconer to Meadville service has been restored to weekly service (had been running biweekly). Olean to Meadville service will be restored tomorrow, with 286K trains from Meadville needing to go to Olean. Olean to Hornell service is operated less than once per week as needed. Olean to Falconer is operated regularly once per week. Olean to Machias service has been restored for ballast trains, with weekly service. In Pennsylvania, service is provided to Driftwood on a weekly basis, with Olean to Port Allegany being operated on a daily basis.

Freight levels: The delivery of sand for fracking gas wells continues at Emporium PA, with projections for this traffic to continue through 2017. New customers are projected to come on line in Pennsylvania.

Car Storage: WNYP continues to store tank cars and other cars.

FWIW, there are extensive maintenance and expansion projects scheduled for this year, many of which I assume have been completed or are wrapping up.

Click through for all the details.

http://www.ccasstera.org/htm/document%20to%20be%20discussed/2017%20pdfs/june/June%2012%202017%20Board%20Minutes.pdf

19   Transit and Commuter / Traction / Brookville gets Milwaukee equipment, maintenance contracts  Posted Sep 18th, 2017, 8:08pm 
NEW Post By roc
The Milwaukee Department of Public Works has awarded Transdev Services a contract to operate the 2.5-mile Milwaukee Streetcar network, which is due to open in 2018

The contract began at the end of August and runs until December 2023, covering the first five years of operations with an option for a five-year extension.

The contract encompasses all day-to-day operation of the system, together with maintenance of facilities, rolling stock and infrastructure.

Transdev will subcontract maintenance of the light rail fleet to Brookville Equipment, which is supplying five Liberty LRVs for the project. Delivery of the first vehicle is scheduled for December.

[MORE]

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/passenger/light-rail/transdev-to-operate-milwaukee-streetcar.html

20   North American Railroads / NS / Re: NS photos 2017  Posted Sep 18th, 2017, 7:50pm 
Response #23 By Matthew_L       Thread Started By Matthew_L
The wye at Gang Mills connects NS with WCOR and the track into Wrold Kitchen.

21   Locomotives and Rolling Stock / DieselTypes / F7 Restored to Operation    Posted Sep 17th, 2017, 6:38am 
NEW Post By Les_Shepherd       View Thread with 500_3695.1.jpg - 451895 Bytes
Saturday 16th September saw F7 locomotive (road number 4201) operate its first heritage train following a major overhaul costing $120,000.

4201 entered service in November 1955 with the New South Wales Railways. Construction was in Sydney by the licence holder from EMD. Differences from US F7s include a longer frame and body which allowed for 3 axle trucks (Co-Co) instead of 4, and the use of the 567C engine with its associated upgraded components. This was a significant improvement from the 567B. In all respects it is an F7 with some customisation to suit local operating conditions.

The colour scheme carried was first applied in 1980 to commemorate the 125th anniversary of NSW Railways. The image depicts the locomotive during a layover at Moss Vale in the Southern Highlands south of Sydney while working a heritage train to the annual Spring Tulip Festival in nearby Bowral.
Attached Image:  500_3695.1.jpg - 451895 Bytes

22   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: Vancouver Island Model Railways    Posted Sep 17th, 2017, 12:49am 
Response #301 By churlish       Thread Started By cn2220       View Thread with Albion_shed_01.jpg - 362348 Bytes
A photo of my scratchbuilt Albion shed model for my Store Street switching layout. It's not exact but I think it captures the feel.  
There's more here: http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/30619
Attached Image:  Albion_shed_01.jpg - 362348 Bytes

23   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: what do you do in HO scale?  Posted Sep 16th, 2017, 6:50am 
Response #394 By Roger_Hensley       Thread Started By green_elite_cab
I thought it was a great station that fit right in with the layout.

24   Model Railroading / Scratchbuild / Re: A New Layout  Posted Sep 15th, 2017, 2:44pm 
Response #78 By moocow       Thread Started By moocow
the old fashioned way.  I roughed up a stip of balsa wood, then drew the stone detail on with an old ballpoint pen.

25   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Let's see your engines!  Posted Sep 15th, 2017, 12:08pm 
Response #829 By Henry       Thread Started By MH765
That K2 looks like a very nice model!

Got any K5's?

26   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: what do you do in HO scale?  Posted Sep 15th, 2017, 12:06pm 
Response #393 By Henry       Thread Started By green_elite_cab
I like the in transition Esso station

27   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Let's see your engines!    Posted Sep 15th, 2017, 7:10am 
Response #828 By toptrain       Thread Started By MH765       View Thread with IMG_0441_Westside_PRR_K2.jpg - 212978 Bytes
Henry, it isn't going out of my way for model trains is my way. I do enjoy them. It was easy to find and here is the West side model of a PRR K2 Pacific. The model shows electric marker lights on the rear of the tender. Three of them evenly spaced across the back end with their electrical piping. Marker lights are high on the boiler front and also on the outer ends of the pilot beam. All four marker lights have their electrical piping. This loco has been up graded with an electrical system. The headlight is missing and I can't find the generator. What may be the generator is under the cab floor on the engineer's side.
Attached Image:  IMG_0441_Westside_PRR_K2.jpg - 212978 Bytes

28   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: what do you do in HO scale?    Posted Sep 15th, 2017, 6:22am 
Response #392 By Roger_Hensley       Thread Started By green_elite_cab       Linked Image Included, Click Here to View Entire Post
Linked Image:  http://madisonrails.railfan.net/eci/eci_3/10_1198_a.jpg

29   North American Railroads / NS / Re: NS photos 2017  Posted Sep 14th, 2017, 8:34pm 
Response #22 By towny72       Thread Started By Matthew_L
Matthew,  

The wye out of Gang Mills yard, what that connecting to?

30   Regionals and Short Lines / WNYP / Re: B&H, LA&L, WNYP Pictures    Posted Sep 14th, 2017, 8:07pm 
Response #213 By Matthew_L       Thread Started By towny72       Linked Image Included, Click Here to View Entire Post
Nice shots!  

As some of you know, I am leaving Photobucket owing a serious rate hike. My photos are being downloaded to Photobucket as time permits. With that in mind, let's do a little TBT and take a look at this LA&L chase from 6 years ago.

Northbound at Jefferson Road in Henrietta:

Linked Image:  http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4432/35888138774_338b32fcda_b.jpg

Alco Century #425 crossing Rt 383 in Chili:

Linked Image:  http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4417/36327211460_c909d499f5_b.jpg

Switching the yard in Avon:

Linked Image:  http://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4407/35915180013_95c4f8d96d_b.jpg

For the rest of this album, please visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32990771@N04/albums/72157685370180950/with/35915180013/

All photos in this post and the link were taken by me Friday 12/16/2011 in upstate NY. I am working hard to make sure my photos will be preserved on Flickr, but it's going to be a long process. More photos will be shared as time permits.

31   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Let's see your engines!  Posted Sep 13th, 2017, 11:55pm 
Response #827 By Henry       Thread Started By MH765
Please don't go out of your way. I just found it interesting to see a model of a K2, there can't be too many of them out there.

32   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017  Posted Sep 13th, 2017, 11:43pm 
Response #99 By MinionII       Thread Started By CPRail4744
Has anyone got anymore intel on barge movements days/times?

Much appreciated,
AP

33   Model Railroading / Scratchbuild / Re: A New Layout  Posted Sep 13th, 2017, 11:05pm 
Response #77 By TAB       Thread Started By moocow
.....how did you do the stone work?......Tom

34   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: what do you do in HO scale?  Posted Sep 13th, 2017, 6:30pm 
Response #391 By toptrain       Thread Started By green_elite_cab
Nice photos Roger. Good work on the bridge and its stone work.
 Frank

35   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Let's see your engines!  Posted Sep 13th, 2017, 6:24pm 
Response #826 By toptrain       Thread Started By MH765
I saw some brass ones. I think I have someplace one by Westside. I could find if you want to see it. Pennsy had a few of them.  
 frank

36   Model Railroading / Scratchbuild / Re: A New Layout    Posted Sep 13th, 2017, 3:51pm 
Response #76 By moocow       Thread Started By moocow       View Thread with IMG_1118-2_515x386.jpg - 52956 Bytes
front wall Boon st station with bay window in place
Attached Image:  IMG_1118-2_515x386.jpg - 52956 Bytes

37   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017  Posted Sep 13th, 2017, 3:51pm 
Response #98 By Goose5       Thread Started By CPRail4744
4 cars northbound for Superior Propane at 10:40. Returned with 4 cars at 12:45.

38   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: Alberni Pacific Railway  Posted Sep 13th, 2017, 1:46am 
Response #16 By MinionII       Thread Started By cycledude
on Sep 11th, 2017, 12:36pm, Dennis Dalla-Vicenza wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Well I'm home and most of what I was told and information alluded to are basically correct. The whole operation now hinges on a further $300,000.00 in funding to get the 6 miles of rail operation back functioning. I still firmly believe that we now have a new entity running the APR that has way too little rail operating experience and it will just continue to bleed Port Alberni of tax money.  
http://www.albernivalleynews.com/news/alberni-pacific-railway-needs-300k-if-steam-train-to-run-again/
Am I disappointed, damn straight, but I am not surprised as Vancouver Island seems to always put into power people and groups who have no real idea of what is supposed to be their the domain.  

Dammit.

Really should have taken the time earlier on to ride this train; it seemed like a solid operation and I just wasn't worried about it disappearing...  

39   Regionals and Short Lines / WNYP / Re: Portageville Bridge Update    Posted Sep 12th, 2017, 1:59pm 
Response #37 By thebigham       Thread Started By roc       View Thread with rsz_1aa1.jpg - 74348 Bytes
John Kucko picture
Attached Image:  rsz_1aa1.jpg - 74348 Bytes

40   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Let's see your engines!  Posted Sep 11th, 2017, 11:47pm 
Response #825 By Henry       Thread Started By MH765
Nice score! I have never seen a model of a K2.

41   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: HO cars 1950's-1960's, with 30's and 40's thrown in.    Posted Sep 11th, 2017, 8:23pm 
Response #381 By toptrain       Thread Started By toptrain       View Thread with IMG_0181s.jpg - 132316 Bytes
This is a old Rivarossi flat car with a trailer load. This one is very hard to find.
frank
Attached Image:  IMG_0181s.jpg - 132316 Bytes

42   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Let's see your engines!    Posted Sep 11th, 2017, 8:04pm 
Response #824 By toptrain       Thread Started By MH765       View Thread with IMG_0194_s.jpg - 120431 Bytes
Second view of PRR K2 engineers side.
frank
Attached Image:  IMG_0194_s.jpg - 120431 Bytes

43   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Let's see your engines!    Posted Sep 11th, 2017, 8:03pm 
Response #823 By toptrain       Thread Started By MH765       View Thread with IMG_0196_s.jpg - 114282 Bytes
At Merchants Square Mall last Saturday I  acquired 2 custom build metal HO locomotives.
I don't know the person who made them. One is a PRR K2 class Pacific locomotive. The other A New Haven Mikado. Both are HO scale. They both need refinishing and testing for proper operation. The better one now is the K2 Pacific. Firemans side.
* Here is the PRR K2
Attached Image:  IMG_0196_s.jpg - 114282 Bytes

44   The Mainline / Photo / Re: Feedback Please (and my introduction) [VERY Large Photos]  Posted Sep 11th, 2017, 6:09pm 
Response #1 By Henry       Thread Started By NSC1109
Try IrfanView http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

It's free to use.

Henry

45   The Mainline / Photo / Feedback Please (and my introduction) [VERY Large Photos]    Posted Sep 11th, 2017, 5:49pm 
NEW Post By NSC1109       Linked Image Included, Click Here to View Entire Post
Hello all!

I am NSC1109. I live in the Kalamazoo, MI, area, but I am currently attending Michigan State University for Supply Chain Management. I have been interested in the railroad for most of my life and I hope to end up working for one after college.  

..I'm currently realizing how foamer-y that sounds. May the lord have mercy on my soul.

Anyway, I got into photography because of railroading and I'm looking for some feedback on my work. I have posted some of my photos here, and I would really appreciate any feedback so I can improve my skills.

Thanks!

-NS
 EDIT: If anyone knows a way I can reduce the size of these photos...it would be much appreciated.  
Linked Image:  http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/23bc0329c51a5e0c22c20425e141a6dd.jpg
Linked Image:  http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/5217c986a94a3a0602b6dea4f2c66a34.jpg
Linked Image:  http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/542c23863d9837f14ea37383d7464ad3.jpg
Linked Image:  http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/2cb34f9042b5774c7598f46b32779b2c.jpg

46   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: Alberni Pacific Railway  Posted Sep 11th, 2017, 12:36pm 
Response #15 By Dennis Dalla-Vicenza       Thread Started By cycledude
on Aug 31st, 2017, 9:57pm, Dennis Dalla-Vicenza wrote:       (Click here for original message)

When I get back to Port I will let you know. I have heard numerous tidbits about the operation but I can't confirm until I'm back home.
Well I'm home and most of what I was told and information alluded to are basically correct. The whole operation now hinges on a further $300,000.00 in funding to get the 6 miles of rail operation back functioning. I still firmly believe that we now have a new entity running the APR that has way too little rail operating experience and it will just continue to bleed Port Alberni of tax money.  
http://www.albernivalleynews.com/news/alberni-pacific-railway-needs-300k-if-steam-train-to-run-again/
Am I disappointed, damn straight, but I am not surprised as Vancouver Island seems to always put into power people and groups who have no real idea of what is supposed to be their the domain.  

47   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: what do you do in HO scale?    Posted Sep 11th, 2017, 6:33am 
Response #390 By Roger_Hensley       Thread Started By green_elite_cab       Linked Image Included, Click Here to View Entire Post
And the F units pull the Passenger Train out of the yard in Anderson to begin its trip down south to Westport.

Linked Image:  http://madisonrails.railfan.net/eci/eci_3/10_0083_a.jpg

48   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: what do you do in HO scale?  Posted Sep 11th, 2017, 12:08am 
Response #389 By Lfire83       Thread Started By green_elite_cab
I actually looked it up to see if there was an actual ECI railroad, your paint scheme is so plausible. Love the proto-freelance concept.

49   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: what do you do in HO scale?  Posted Sep 10th, 2017, 1:15pm 
Response #388 By Henry       Thread Started By green_elite_cab
With an 0-5-0 helper!

50   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: what do you do in HO scale?    Posted Sep 10th, 2017, 7:15am 
Response #387 By Roger_Hensley       Thread Started By green_elite_cab       Linked Image Included, Click Here to View Entire Post
Ok, here's another photo. This one from 2007.

Linked Image:  http://madisonrails.railfan.net/eci/eci_3/roger_train_a.jpg

51   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017  Posted Sep 8th, 2017, 4:56pm 
Response #97 By Goose5       Thread Started By CPRail4744
Light engines in both directions at 12:45 and 1:45.

52   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: BOILER BUILDING + Other Projects by STEAMHEATON    Posted Sep 8th, 2017, 3:47pm 
Response #1108 By SteamHeaton       Thread Started By ErieAtlantic7597       View Thread with rsz_20170820_141630.jpg - 132012 Bytes
Cab and pilot installed in time for the Illinois live steamers 50th anniversary meet.  Jacket is next. Ray III
Attached Image:  rsz_20170820_141630.jpg - 132012 Bytes

53   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017  Posted Sep 6th, 2017, 9:36pm 
Response #96 By torch       Thread Started By CPRail4744
great pics!   There is something  sad looking about that last one.. like witnessing the end of the era.

54   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017    Posted Sep 6th, 2017, 6:19pm 
Response #95 By Goose5       Thread Started By CPRail4744       View Thread with DSC_0004-35.jpg - 126587 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0004-35.jpg - 126587 Bytes

55   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017    Posted Sep 6th, 2017, 6:18pm 
Response #94 By Goose5       Thread Started By CPRail4744       View Thread with DSC_0003-43.jpg - 160859 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0003-43.jpg - 160859 Bytes

56   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017    Posted Sep 6th, 2017, 6:18pm 
Response #93 By Goose5       Thread Started By CPRail4744       View Thread with DSC_0002-48.jpg - 112138 Bytes
Attached Image:  DSC_0002-48.jpg - 112138 Bytes

57   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017    Posted Sep 6th, 2017, 6:17pm 
Response #92 By Goose5       Thread Started By CPRail4744       View Thread with DSC_0001-44.jpg - 142044 Bytes
2 cars northbound for Superior Propane at 12:30. Returned with 2 cars at 2:15. Another hazy day with smoke in the sky from the interior wildfires.

Attached Image:  DSC_0001-44.jpg - 142044 Bytes

58   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Let's see your engines!    Posted Sep 6th, 2017, 7:18am 
Response #822 By toptrain       Thread Started By MH765       View Thread with IMG_9831.jpg - 151382 Bytes
*   Here is a locomotive I really want to get back running. It is old, 1945. It is foreign, French, BLZ. It is a 4-6-2 Pacific type. It was 3 rail with a center rail pickup. It ran on 20 volt AC. The company listed it as being OO gauge. It is a streamlined locomotive with interesting lines. Much like the streamlined Lehigh Valley, Black Diamond locomotive. I got it with no tender, no third rail pickup, no lead truck and a shattered center driver. Because the third rail pickup was missing and all drivers were insulated on one side ,I took it to be a DC locomotive. Later on, when I saw the wire field winding with no magnet, I knew what it was, AC powered. Still, I do want to get this relick running again. This time on straight DC. Up to now, that plan isn't working. I chose a Mantua tender to run with it. Here is what it looks like.
*  To me, this is definitely a loco to be saved and gotten running again. I know how high priced this loco would have been if complete and running. It came in 2 colors. A green version and a black version. Most likely it is worth more as a parts loco than anything I can make it look like. Just I know it would look great running again.  
 frank
Attached Image:  IMG_9831.jpg - 151382 Bytes

59   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: Locomotive Service areas    Posted Sep 6th, 2017, 6:35am 
Response #188 By toptrain       Thread Started By toptrain       View Thread with IMG_9456_-_S.jpg - 220272 Bytes
A smaller version of big power. Two saddle tankers and two side tankers have been serviced and are ready to back to the tight curves of city back streets. all are 0-4-0T's. Left to right are Tyco-Mantua NYC saddle tank 0-4-0t, Tyco-Mantua NYC side tank 0-4-0t, Rivarossi B&O saddle tank 0-4-0t, And last a Marx NYC 0-4-0t side tank locomotive.  
frank
Attached Image:  IMG_9456_-_S.jpg - 220272 Bytes

60   Regional Area Operations / WestPenn / Bangor & Aroostok of observation car  Posted Sep 5th, 2017, 4:26pm 
NEW Post By roc
Bangor & Aroostok observation car was the last car of a Westbound NS merchandise train and, here's the kicker, they were running on CSX tracks here by the CSX yard.

61   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals / Stations / Re: Lake Hopatcong, NJ. DL&W  Posted Sep 5th, 2017, 11:02am 
Response #12 By lt230s       Thread Started By ErieAtlantic7597
Renovation is underway per the article in the NJ HERALD:
http://www.njherald.com/20170905/renovation-underway-for-hopatcong-landmark

62   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: what do you do in HO scale?    Posted Sep 5th, 2017, 6:32am 
Response #386 By Roger_Hensley       Thread Started By green_elite_cab       Linked Image Included, Click Here to View Entire Post
And another shot from way back...

Linked Image:  http://madisonrails.railfan.net/eci/eci_4/loco_work_a.jpg

63   Regionals and Short Lines / WNYP / Re: Portageville Bridge Update  Posted Sep 4th, 2017, 10:31am 
Response #36 By towny72       Thread Started By roc
Thank you for posting progress photos.  

Politics and history aside this is a very impressive build. I see a lot of "small" spans being replaced around the NS system but nothing to this magnitude.  

As always those willing to do the leg work to document such events are appreciated.

64   Regionals and Short Lines / WNYP / Re: Portageville Bridge Update  Posted Sep 3rd, 2017, 8:43pm 
Response #35 By centercab       Thread Started By roc
" it was built on the foundations of the preceeding wood bridge"
Can you imagine what those original wood bridge builders would have thought if told their work would be put to use 100+ years in the future? I guess that's what is called a lasting legacy!

65   North American Railroads / UP / Re: Union Pacific Picture Thread!    Posted Sep 3rd, 2017, 3:12pm 
Response #301 By Lfire83       Thread Started By zwsplac       View Thread with DSC_0431_C_576x867.jpg - 115816 Bytes
And concluding the chase for the day, the Madera local heads back to Fresno light engine. The Madera Industrial Lead is fairly sizable with a dozen customers and a three track yard, receiving daily service.
Attached Image:  DSC_0431_C_576x867.jpg - 115816 Bytes

66   North American Railroads / UP / Re: Union Pacific Picture Thread!    Posted Sep 3rd, 2017, 3:06pm 
Response #300 By Lfire83       Thread Started By zwsplac       View Thread with DSC_0430_C_516x777.jpg - 111660 Bytes
Right behind are two GE's bringing an intermodal train south.
Attached Image:  DSC_0430_C_516x777.jpg - 111660 Bytes

67   North American Railroads / UP / Re: Union Pacific Picture Thread!    Posted Sep 3rd, 2017, 3:04pm 
Response #299 By Lfire83       Thread Started By zwsplac       View Thread with DSC_0425_C_831x552.jpg - 128754 Bytes
After the northbound grain train cleared the south siding switch, 3 EMD's lead the southbound toward Fresno, with 2 more trains stacked up behind it.
Attached Image:  DSC_0425_C_831x552.jpg - 128754 Bytes

68   North American Railroads / UP / Re: Union Pacific Picture Thread!    Posted Sep 3rd, 2017, 2:59pm 
Response #298 By Lfire83       Thread Started By zwsplac       View Thread with DSC_0406c_806x535.jpg - 135004 Bytes
A very faded Mopac car in the mix.
Attached Image:  DSC_0406c_806x535.jpg - 135004 Bytes

69   North American Railroads / UP / Re: Union Pacific Picture Thread!    Posted Sep 3rd, 2017, 2:57pm 
Response #297 By Lfire83       Thread Started By zwsplac       View Thread with DSC_0402c_898x596.jpg - 154152 Bytes
I've always enjoyed unit grain trains, there's always a good mix of heritage cars. A non patched / tagged CNW car is getting hard to find anymore, especially in California. Any car left sitting more than a minute gets the west coast Krylon bath.
Attached Image:  DSC_0402c_898x596.jpg - 154152 Bytes

70   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: Perhaps naive question from new member  Posted Sep 2nd, 2017, 8:44pm 
Response #1 By Goose5       Thread Started By gcmc
Welcome to the board. Occasionally there is only 1 locomotive but mostly there is 2. I think it has something to do with having better visibility in both directions as the 2 locos are coupled together with the cab end facing out at each end.

Dave

71   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Perhaps naive question from new member  Posted Sep 2nd, 2017, 10:20am 
NEW Post By gcmc
Why does SRY always seem to run two locos when the trains are never more than six cars in length?

Grant on Gabe

72   Model Railroading / HOScale / Re: what do you do in HO scale?    Posted Sep 2nd, 2017, 6:53am 
Response #385 By Roger_Hensley       Thread Started By green_elite_cab       Linked Image Included, Click Here to View Entire Post
Ok, its too peaceful here, so here is a shot from 2004. Its on the ECI, East Central Indiana HO Scale RR.

Linked Image:  http://madisonrails.railfan.net/eci/eci_3/1129_05_a.jpg

73   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017  Posted Sep 1st, 2017, 4:52pm 
Response #91 By Goose5       Thread Started By CPRail4744
3 cars northbound for Superior Propane at 12:10. Returned with 3 cars at 1:45.

74   North American Railroads / UP / Hurricane Harvey Impact  Posted Sep 1st, 2017, 10:52am 
NEW Post By Sean
Unsurprisingly UP operations in south east Texas have been severely impacted. I have been unable to get out and assess many areas, but I drove from Houston to New Orleans on 8/31 via Alexandria, LA (all roads south are flooded). Trains parked in multiple sidings headed toward Houston. The Rabbit Line (ex SP from Houston toward Shreveport along I-69). Had multiple washouts. I stopped counting at 15. Crews were on-site to repair. I imagine most other lines had similar washouts due to high water needing to force an exit.

Additionally, no movement in the Beaumont, TX-Lake Charles, LA area for a few more days

75   Regionals and Short Lines / WNYP / Re: Salamanca Coaling Towers, J'town station siding  Posted Sep 1st, 2017, 8:08am 
Response #8 By pablo       Thread Started By roc
Sorry I missed a couple of days here.

RE: Lfire’s first post…

Yes, Jamestown is almost a complete dumpster fire. However, big money has been, and will continue to be, available for this project. There are large plans afoot for the comedy center, and now that they are sinking a fair amount of money into the ice arena (no insignificant thing on its own), Jamestown will be a destination for people that would never come here otherwise. The time is now to take advantage of it.

The line from Conewango Valley to Waterboro is going to take a lot of work. Never mind that whatever rail is there will need to basically be scrapped and relaid, the washout just north of Cowens Corners Road (Google Maps shows rails still there, albeit in the air over the Twenty-Eighth Creek) will be a big deal. I physically walked to that washout years back for a work project and it’s fair to say that the washout has not gotten better in the decade since.

Ignore what the P-J says, as they don’t know much about railroad (not blaming them for this, just saying) and they continue to get fed nonsense to report.

RE: roc’s next post…

I don’t know if the interchange in Buffalo matters as much to the WNYP anymore now that they have the Buffalo line north of Olean, especially as that interchange now leads straight to the WNYP’s headquarters/main yard.

RE: railwatcher’s post…

I won’t disagree overall with what you’re saying.

However, if they’re already thinking outside the box (don’t forget the regular hockey and ice-skating tourneys at Jamestown, which are real and exist) and LucyFest, if they get smart and split the weekend for two weeks where people come in, maybe on back-to-back weekends, perhaps an additional weekend or two using Jamestown as a hub for a rail weekend? You’re going to have to work to get something out of any money spent on rail, at least for the public to see.

RE: roc’s second post…

And here’s where roc gets it right, as always.  

The line isn’t owned by the BS or by the NYLE (more on that in a second). The interchanges that he mentions might mean something for the WNYP. I expect that they would mean a lot more for the BS, who would now have access to the heart of Pennsylvania, direct, for traffic on the CSX and from the Canadians.

The IDAs own the rails. For some reason, the IDAs responsible for this line have seen the traffic dwindle on the line to nothing. I know why I think this traffic was cut to nothing, but I’m not going to put it in a public forum (I’m right, by the way). However, the taxpayers of the region are spending money to get zero benefit. There are two obvious, real rail options to take over the line and manage it if you wanted rails to get traffic again. You would have to ask the IDA why they think it’s OK that someone is using the line for a 1:1 model train layout instead of supporting what little customer base there is left.

I believe that the two railroads own their own locomotives, and I am pretty sure that Pat on the BS and Mr. Dingman on the NYLE would keep their units. From what I remember, the BS locomotives are well-cared for, as is the line: the BS was even used for a “major” film from a race-car driver some time ago, and no one would take that chance with poorly-maintained equipment. No clue as to the status of NYLE materiel.

RE: LFire’s second post…

Correct. If this were to work, and let’s pretend that the BS ran the whole line, Buffalo to Waterboro, perhaps even to interchange in Jamestown (like the old B&SW did, many years ago), they would have to be able to get down and back in a day. Think about what that would mean for speeds on the line. Think about what that would mean for motive power (six axles) and then think about what the line would need to be upgraded to handle that. If it’s for a boutique, where we’re just proving the line is open, ok…but speed’s going to matter at some point.

Now think about a passenger excursion from (near) the Buffalo airport to Jamestown for Lucy Fest/Comedy weekend. Are those people going to be fine with a two-day trip?

Speed kills. It might be what kills the whole idea.

RE: roc’s third post…

This was the crux of Dingman’s argument to buy/lease/manage/operate the line from Gowanda to Meadville, a long time ago, essentially connecting his two railroads. I can’t say that the traffic exists for it, because it never materialized over the entire time of the WNYP.  

76   Regionals and Short Lines / WNYP / Re: Salamanca Coaling Towers, J'town station siding  Posted Sep 1st, 2017, 4:19am 
Response #7 By roc       Thread Started By roc
Pretty sure any unit trains would be heading south when loaded and north on the MT — ie lumber, paper (in blocks), grain, frack sand, tar sands oils, ND crude, etc.

Dingman used to say his line would make a great gateway for Canadian lumber coming South. Not sure how valid that was or might now be.

77   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E+N Track Work  Posted Sep 1st, 2017, 2:53am 
Response #121 By CLC Fan       Thread Started By SRY 110
No.  It still has the same looks at least up to Green Lake trestle.  I've just never seen a demarcation so obvious like that.  Could be nothing, in which case  management at SR/VI is having a good chuckle at my expense. ☺

78   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  Posted Sep 1st, 2017, 12:27am 
Response #68 By hillbank       Thread Started By torch
Yes it was Victoria Foundry, there was a story in the T/C when they closed down, i remember most cars were either Norfolk and Western or Railgon.
Do recall the water cars as well. my favorite was the script lettered Canadian Pacific, the water cars were also spotted at some locations along the E&N the old Duncan shop track and Parksville are two locations i know of. the water cars were still used on the frieghts after the caboose was dropped but not for long. before the use of the hi-rail fire patrols that followed the frieghts speeders were used  and i sure miss thier unique putt putt sound.

79   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  Posted Aug 31st, 2017, 11:26pm 
Response #67 By torch       Thread Started By torch
on Aug 31st, 2017, 12:36pm, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I've seen a video of a backhoe climbing into a gondola from track level, using a combination of the loader bucket and backhoe arm/bucket and a boat load of skill, maybe they did something along those lines...
Where was the floundry that coke was bound for? It wasn't VMD was it?

Based on various reports Ive heard from others over the years it was Vic foundry. Back when i was out watching these trains I just assumed it was regular coal as thats what it appeared to be to me in my uneducated observation. Ive gone back into my notes and changed that detail to coke.

80   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: Alberni Pacific Railway  Posted Aug 31st, 2017, 9:57pm 
Response #14 By Dennis Dalla-Vicenza       Thread Started By cycledude
on Aug 28th, 2017, 1:39am, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Anyone happen to know if anything has changed? Is the Alberni Pacific operating the steam locomotive again?

Thanks,
AP

When I get back to Port I will let you know. I have heard numerous tidbits about the operation but I can't confirm until I'm back home.

81   Regionals and Short Lines / WNYP / Re: Salamanca Coaling Towers, J'town station siding  Posted Aug 31st, 2017, 8:28pm 
Response #6 By Lfire83       Thread Started By roc
As it currently stands, I can't see any interchange traffic coming out of Buffalo being even remotely profitable, except in a unit train to a nonexistent customer, likely needing to be doubled over the hill at Gowanda. Imagine a car interchanging onto the BSOR, getting picked up the next day, ran to Gowanda, picked up the next day, ran to Waterboro / Falconer, and picked up the next day to go either direction, likely getting spotted the following day. 4 days across 3 shortlines, and that's if interchange is made daily, which is a rarity on a small shortline. It would likely be more than a week for a car to get spotted, and they're only 263k cars... not too many customers would be satisfied with that service, and it won't make money.

Even if WNYP were to to take over which would be a huge improvement over the current operation, where would the revenue be to justify all those added route miles? If there were a solid plan with the county IDA's to develop the corridor and bring rail served business it may pan out as revenue neutral. I can't see it being profitable without a major surge of traffic. There just aren't the customers, not even on the existing WNYP.

82   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017  Posted Aug 31st, 2017, 1:28pm 
Response #90 By Chris_C       Thread Started By CPRail4744
on Aug 2nd, 2017, 1:27am, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hello Dave,

Yeah the times would be great...maybe there is a pattern there.

The data on the barge service is appreciated, Mondays after 8 is good to know. Hopefully I'll be able to act on it...

Much appreciated,
AP

With all the new tank car traffic in the yard they are also running the barge on Thursdays around the same time by the looks of things.  

83   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  Posted Aug 31st, 2017, 12:36pm 
Response #66 By MinionII       Thread Started By torch
I've seen a video of a backhoe climbing into a gondola from track level, using a combination of the loader bucket and backhoe arm/bucket and a boat load of skill, maybe they did something along those lines...
Where was the floundry that coke was bound for? It wasn't VMD was it?

84   Regionals and Short Lines / WNYP / Re: Salamanca Coaling Towers, J'town station siding  Posted Aug 31st, 2017, 12:01pm 
Response #5 By roc       Thread Started By roc
I get your skepticism. That said, neither NYLE nor BS actually owns the lines they operate over. So, yes, there's a big hill, but there's also an opportunity for aggressive (WNYP) management to work its magic.

Also, and this is pure speculation, but BS interchanges with CSX and Canadian Pacific — couldn't that be a potential boon for the WNYP?

Lastly, WNYP could pick up a whole bunch of operating Alcos as well as hulks with parts.

85   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  Posted Aug 31st, 2017, 5:34am 
Response #65 By torch       Thread Started By torch
on Aug 31st, 2017, 2:24am, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yeah I do recall seeing the odd boxcar at the semi-covered platform that sat beside the last coach track in the yard. If I remember correctly, the end-loading ramp was at the end of the same track. Used to see some gondolas on that track as well. Not sure how they unloaded those...

Yes,  ramp was on same track.. for loading military vehicles and whatever other miscellaneous wheeled loads there were.  Ive  also wondered how they unloaded the coke out of those gondolas too.  Im assuming a back hoe of some sorts.  For as many coke loads as i saw delivered I am surpised I never witnessed the unloading even once.

86   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  Posted Aug 31st, 2017, 2:24am 
Response #64 By MinionII       Thread Started By torch
Yeah I do recall seeing the odd boxcar at the semi-covered platform that sat beside the last coach track in the yard. If I remember correctly, the end-loading ramp was at the end of the same track. Used to see some gondolas on that track as well. Not sure how they unloaded those...

87   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  Posted Aug 31st, 2017, 12:41am 
Response #63 By torch       Thread Started By torch
on Aug 30th, 2017, 11:48pm, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Wow 7 boxcars...I wonder where they all were headed. Standard Furniture, Garden City, and Victoria Plywood I guess?

At this time there was still a fair amiunt of boxcars being unloaded on the platform/ramp track in the Vic west yard in addition to the other spots you mentioned, as well as the ocassional car dropped at the Langford siding and E.H. pope.

88   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  Posted Aug 30th, 2017, 11:48pm 
Response #62 By MinionII       Thread Started By torch
on Aug 29th, 2017, 7:08am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Tuesday,July 3, 1990.  Evening southbound switched ICG propance and left with 12 cars,heres the consist:  gp38ac, gp35, fifty foot black CP boxcar, four propane cars, forty foot brown CP boxcar, fifty foot green BN  ribside boxcar, fifty foot black CP boxcar, fifty foot double plug door Red CP boxcar, fifty foot brown Southern double plug door boxcar, forty foot orange CP insulated boxcar and caboose.

Wow 7 boxcars...I wonder where they all were headed. Standard Furniture, Garden City, and Victoria Plywood I guess?

89   Regionals and Short Lines / WNYP / Re: Salamanca Coaling Towers, J'town station siding  Posted Aug 30th, 2017, 11:27pm 
Response #4 By railwatcher       Thread Started By roc
It seems such an impossibility.   The lease with NS said no to excursion trains, has that changed?   PAs on the WNYP?  The quality of shows brought into the comedy blocks of Jamestown is not that great.   They appeal to the older MotorCoach crowd, but lack any true depth of acting and comedy talent.  Put in a siding there, it'll get a couple of uses and then sit rusty. There's not a strong enough drawing card. Sorry, I don't see it working.  
   As for opening a Buffalo thru route, remember the  under utilized Buffalo Line?  NY&LE is dreaming.  B&P pulled its line northbound north of the cascade viaduct opting  to use the Buffalo line and save cost of the bridge replacement.  

Greg

90   Regionals and Short Lines / WNYP / Re: Salamanca Coaling Towers, J'town station siding  Posted Aug 30th, 2017, 10:41pm 
Response #3 By roc       Thread Started By roc
How about direct access to Buffalo for the WNYP? That's probably, kind of, sort of worth some millions of dollars. If you have to call it "excursions to a museum for a comedian that's been dead nearly 30 years" to get it funded, I'm OK with that.

91   Model Railroading / LiveSteam / Re: Building or fixin things on the SR&CL Ry.  Posted Aug 30th, 2017, 6:53pm 
Response #347 By moose_the_caboose       Thread Started By tomc
Tom:  Say 'Hi' to Jack for us.  Hard work is the stuff of great railroads...SR&CL is all of that!  Good to see the work continue.

I have a question, what code is needed to use flickr as a third party photo site?  Since I've had a Flickr account for years(never used it), may have to resort to it.   Kindda wished Henry had a place to park train-railroad related photos for use in the threads.  I'd certainly be willing to park all my pics there.

moose

92   Fallen Flags / LHR / W. Gifford Moore  Posted Aug 30th, 2017, 5:12am 
NEW Post By Marty_Feldner
Sad news to report; I received a phone call Tuesday morning informing me that W. Gifford Moore had passed away on Monday, August 28, 2017. Gif was the last President of the Lehigh and Hudson River Railway, and was the person most responsible for the L&HR's inclusion in Conrail. A good man, and a good railroader.

93   Regionals and Short Lines / WNYP / Re: Salamanca Coaling Towers, J'town station siding  Posted Aug 29th, 2017, 11:14pm 
Response #2 By Lfire83       Thread Started By roc
As much as I have a soft spot for the area as it's where I grew up, this project is a sad pipe dream propping up a dying town. The population of Jamestown has decreased by roughly a third since 1950, while two other cities I've lived in have grown by a third and 5 times their population respectively. Beautiful buildings have decayed after flight from the city to the point of routine arson, meth lab explosions, and collapses. They now have a metro drug task force (for a city of less than 30,000 people), are doing rolling fire station closures, and on nearly every fire volunteers from surrounding communities are brought in to supplement the defunded city forces. How will another taxpayer funded crutch help this town? Have there been any studies done showing that this will somehow be a sustainable revenue source? Unless there is viable and projected rail served industry on this corridor, I see it as a monumental waste of tax dollars, especially if Dingman is left to manage it.  

The news article states that only "a couple of miles of track and switches" need to be rebuilt for the track to be serviceable. I believe the track south of Conewango Valley (more than 6 miles to Waterboro) hasn't seen a train in 30 years or more and has several washouts in addition to severe brush overgrowth, correct me if I'm wrong. It doesn't look like the track between Cherry Creek and Conewango Valley has seen any work either, which is another 4+ miles). There's several bridges in this segment as well, if any of them are washed out or in need of repairs, it's major $$$. A basic tie gang with skim surfacing and only spot ballast renewal would set you back 1.5 million; if the ties are in poor condition, along with moderate bridge and culvert repairs, brush cutting, washout repair, ditching, minor switch work, along with the new Waterboro connection, this project would eat up 3 million dollars before you had something to run on. As most crappy shortlines are, it wouldn't surprise me if a large amount of rail had been scavenged from the OOS portion to keep the rest of the line running. After all, there's only so many sidings you can rip up. I've been there and done it, and it's a disgrace yet a common reality. Their website says their line is only rated for 263k, I assume this is due to poor bridge maintenance, since it was an ex-Erie line I assume they have a large rail section throughout. To any new rail served business that's a big deal, as it means not being able to fully load cars.  

Where will the money come from to maintain this segment? Perpetual taxpayer funded grants as there are with the rest of the line up to Gowanda? For a line with no real base as a passenger corridor, hemorrhaging millions of dollars into a part time tourist line dragging nonexistent passengers to a "comedy center" hosting a few headline events a year seems like a horrible idea.  

94   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: E&N (SRY-VI) Movement Reports: 2017  Posted Aug 29th, 2017, 5:51pm 
Response #89 By Goose5       Thread Started By CPRail4744
3 cars northbound for Superior Propane at 1:00. Returned with 2 cars at 2:45.

95   Regionals and Short Lines / WNYP / Re: Salamanca Coaling Towers, J'town station siding  Posted Aug 29th, 2017, 8:39am 
Response #1 By pablo       Thread Started By roc
I cannot for the life of me understand what is happening with this project.

Dingman is singlehandedly the largest impediment to this project having success, and I know first hand that this problem could have been solved, and no one with the ability to do so has lifted a finger.

Separately, I know also that Jamestown (the city) is wandering around without a clue, and myself as well have others have offered to be a part of even the planning for...something. Anything. And this is more constructive thinking than "NS's lease won't let us run excursions," or anything like that. And the city wants no help.

A golden opportunity here with the comedy center, and running people, even if they are high-dollar people, back and forth from either Erie or Buffalo, not to mention a long-distance train from points East. With this comedy center here, and now, a known entity whose most recent event was met with positive reviews...all of these people are letting this opportunity, which is a once in a lifetime chance, to slip through their fingers.

All we can do is watch with frustration.

96   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  Posted Aug 29th, 2017, 7:18am 
Response #61 By torch       Thread Started By torch
Thursday, July 12, 1990. Southbound at Langford  Consist: gp35, gp38ac, government hopper, three propane cars, forty foot red CP boxcar, water car and caboose.

97   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  Posted Aug 29th, 2017, 7:17am 
Response #60 By torch       Thread Started By torch
Wednesday morning, July 11, 1990, northbound at Langford. Consist: gp38ac, gp35, one black CP boxcar, forty foot red E&N boxcar, two propane cars, fifty foot black gondola (didnt see the reporting marks), fifty foot brown ribside CP boxcar, water car and caboose.    By the way, for those unfamiliar with  the "water car"  it was an old modified canadian pacific 40 foot tank car used for spraying water on the tracks to help prevent fires caused by hot brake shoes in the summer months on the e&n.  Several different types of modifed tanks had been used including some made out of old steam loco tenders. Typically I mainly saw the standard old tank car variety. These were always placed right before the caboose.  Later in the 90s after caboose-less trains were the norm i would often see a hi-rail truck follow the northbound train. I  didnt see the water cars in use in the late 90s on the vic sub.

98   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  Posted Aug 29th, 2017, 7:10am 
Response #59 By torch       Thread Started By torch
Tuesday,July 10th, 1990. Southbound at Langford, 9:30 pm. Switched ICG propane and left with this consist:  gp35, gp38ac, fifty foot yellow CP marked boxcar, three propane cars, one government hopper, water car and caboose.

99   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  Posted Aug 29th, 2017, 7:08am 
Response #58 By torch       Thread Started By torch
Tuesday,July 3, 1990.  Evening southbound switched ICG propance and left with 12 cars,heres the consist:  gp38ac, gp35, fifty foot black CP boxcar, four propane cars, forty foot brown CP boxcar, fifty foot green BN  ribside boxcar, fifty foot black CP boxcar, fifty foot double plug door Red CP boxcar, fifty foot brown Southern double plug door boxcar, forty foot orange CP insulated boxcar and caboose.

100   Regional Area Operations / Vancouver / Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  Posted Aug 29th, 2017, 7:04am 
Response #57 By torch       Thread Started By torch
sunday, july 1st, 1990.  Southbound at Langford:    three units... two gp38ac, gp35, one government hopper, four propane cars, fifty foot green BN ribside boxcar and caboose.

Click Here to Return to the Main Index