Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 24th, 2018, 4:48pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New Canadian Schedule.....
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   VIA Rail
(Moderator: Yves)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New Canadian Schedule.....  (Read 203 times)
Pyronova

View Profile  

« on: Oct 15th, 2008, 1:02pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

From the VIA Rail website:

"New schedule for the Canadian as of December 2, 2008!
Starting this December, the Canadian will be operating on a new schedule to provide travellers with more viewing time in the Rockies. There will be later departures from both Toronto and Vancouver, with trains arriving at their final destinations by mid-morning."

I tried to find the new schedule but to no avail.....   The website is SO user friendly........  
A report in the current Trains magazine states that the schedule is 10 hours longer due to track availability on CN.  

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

missthealcos
Historian
Re: New Canadian Schedule.....

« Reply #1 on: Oct 16th, 2008, 3:27pm »

This has been around for a while now...the entire new schedule is in the last Branchline.  It's 4 nights now, essentially, with far later departures. There is good and bad in it, I don't have it in front of me, but it does add some less ungodly hours at points on the Praries, and the major stopovers are longer.

There have been many reasons given for the change, but the most compelling I've heard from those who would know is that it is pressure from CN more than anything. They just don't want to deal with a passenger schedule....so they are making it longer! I just wonder if it will change the pricing with 4 nights onboard..anything more than it already is will make it far out of reach for ANYONE...I hope it's adjusted accordingly, and not just up!

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2008, 3:34pm by missthealcos » Logged
NS_VIA_FAN
TRAINing

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17th, 2008, 6:23am »

on Oct 15th, 2008, 1:02pm, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)
From the VIA Rail website:

"New schedule for the Canadian as of December 2, 2008!

I tried to find the new schedule but to no avail.....   The website is SO user friendly........  

Home Page,
Left hand column.....Schedules......Print Your Train Schedule.....Western Canada......

Don't know how they could make it much easier

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Oct 17th, 2008, 4:33pm »

on Oct 17th, 2008, 6:23am, NS_VIA_FAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Home Page,
Left hand column.....Schedules......Print Your Train Schedule.....Western Canada......

Don't know how they could make it much easier

Why would I want to Print a schedule?    No Printer, so the option is useless.   Where is the PDF version to view?    

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

CN_6060
TRAINing

« Reply #4 on: Oct 17th, 2008, 8:57pm »

on Oct 17th, 2008, 4:33pm, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Why would I want to Print a schedule?    No Printer, so the option is useless.   Where is the PDF version to view?    

Why not just follow the path provided above.....It is a .PDF and the option is yours.....View or Print! (besides.... I've always been able to view something before I've printed it anyway)  You can also download a electronic version there too.
Really Now Could it be much easier than that

« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2008, 9:03pm by CN_6060 » Logged
Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Oct 17th, 2008, 10:15pm »

on Oct 17th, 2008, 8:57pm, CN_6060 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Why not just follow the path provided above.....It is a .PDF and the option is yours.....View or Print! (besides.... I've always been able to view something before I've printed it anyway)  You can also download a electronic version there too.
Really Now Could it be much easier than that

You guys obviously don't get it......          

The website is a bad design;  If I couldn't find the schedules to start with, I bet there are others as well.   Why list them under "Print your train schedule" ? ? ?   Probably designed in Quebec and translated to the rest of Canada.....    

CN_6060
TRAINing

« Reply #6 on: Oct 18th, 2008, 5:13am »

on Oct 17th, 2008, 10:15pm, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

You guys obviously don't get it......          

The website is a bad design;  If I couldn't find the schedules to start with.......

Don’t get it??

Your inability  to follow a link is not poor web design when that link to “Schedules” is at the top of the column on the "Home Page"  

Click and it gives you the option to:

View
Print
Customize
or Download

“Customize” is a great tool as it gives a .PDF showing all the stops and connections along your particular route on your date of travel in one nice document. You can also select the HTML virsion of this customized document that is even better as all stations along your route are "clickable" with information and map (& satellite image) of each.

I really don’t see how it could be easier than that  

(And I don’t particularly like your reference to Quebec )  

« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2008, 5:48am by CN_6060 » Logged
Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Oct 18th, 2008, 5:47pm »

on Oct 18th, 2008, 5:13am, CN_6060 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Don’t get it??

Your inability  to follow a link is not poor web design when that link to “Schedules” is at the top of the column on the "Home Page"  

Click and it gives you the option to:

View
Print
Customize
or Download

“Customize” is a great tool as it gives a .PDF showing all the stops and connections along your particular route on your date of travel in one nice document. You can also select the HTML virsion of this customized document that is even better as all stations along your route are "clickable" with information and map (& satellite image) of each.

I really don’t see how it could be easier than that  

(And I don’t particularly like your reference to Quebec )  

You still don't get it.

I want to view a schedule.  Not create a custom one for me on a certain day, month or year.  I want a quick click and be able to read the schedule.  The only way to find a PDF link is through "Print".  Now THAT MAKES SENSE!
The site is designed to sell tickets.  I don't want a ticket.  I want to see when the train makes it's run.  
The Amtrak site is much easier to navigate.  Click on Schedules, and all are listed.  Not listed under "PRINT YOUR SCHEDULE".  

CN_6060
TRAINing

« Reply #8 on: Oct 18th, 2008, 5:58pm »

on Oct 18th, 2008, 5:47pm, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

You still don't get it.

Yes I do “get” it and have been able to “get” the schedule information I want from the VIA web site without any difficulty at all

CN_6060
TRAINing

« Reply #9 on: Oct 18th, 2008, 6:08pm »

on Oct 18th, 2008, 5:47pm, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I want to view a schedule........

And since you are having so much difficulty navigating the VIA site Here’s the links to the new schedule for the Canadian effective on Dec. 2, 2008  

http://www.viarail.ca/pdf/2008/timetable/TRTO-VCV_valid_2dec08_annul_BRNN_update_27aug08.pdf

http://www.viarail.ca/pdf/2008/timetable/VCVR-TRTO_valid_2dec08_annul_BRNN_update_27aug08.pdf

« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2008, 6:09pm by CN_6060 » Logged
Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Oct 18th, 2008, 10:44pm »

on Oct 18th, 2008, 6:08pm, CN_6060 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

And since you are having so much difficulty navigating the VIA site Here’s the links to the new schedule for the Canadian effective on Dec. 2, 2008  

http://www.viarail.ca/pdf/2008/timetable/TRTO-VCV_valid_2dec08_annul_BRNN_update_27aug08.pdf

http://www.viarail.ca/pdf/2008/timetable/VCVR-TRTO_valid_2dec08_annul_BRNN_update_27aug08.pdf

You still don't get sarcasm, do you?

The website is terrible customer service.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »