Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 18th, 2017, 9:29am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

I wonder what would be hapening at Raven about now.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: I wonder what would be hapening at Raven about now.  (Read 146 times)
Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« on: Apr 20th, 2017, 12:14pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

A while back we witnessed a group of misplaced environmentalists and basic NIMBYs fighting the development of the Raven Coal mine and watched them basically lie to the people about all the harm coal does to the atmosphere. Then when they succeeded their resident apologist assured us that coal was dead and that the mine would never have lived up to its promises.  

I just got back from a week long trip into the coal fields of Central Vancouver Island where I discovered that the Quinsum Mine is in the planned reopening stage and that other older mines in the area may again be reactivated. This reactivation along with the Tumbler Ridge reopening sure proves that the imminent death of coal in BC was greatly exaggerated by the opponents and not seriously taken by the proponents.  

Now if the Raven project was revisited would these same NIMBYs pushing their same exaggerations of end result be again taken seriously by an area starving for jobs? Would the E & N (aka SVI) again seriously consider rebuilding the line to high enough standards to accept rail shipments into Port Alberni? Would the three bogus environmentalists rear their ugly heads again berating anyone and everyone who sided with the job creation? This resurgence of NIMBYism could be the final knell in the tolling of the death of the Island railroad if it is allowed to proceed unfettered as happened in the not to distant past.

Never known for Political Correctness
& far from a tag words cut and paste artist.
Port Alberni or Thereabouts.
George_Harris
Historian
Re: I wonder what would be hapening at Raven about now.

« Reply #1 on: Apr 20th, 2017, 1:15pm »

on Apr 20th, 2017, 12:14pm, Dennis Dalla-Vicenza wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I just got back from a week long trip into the coal fields of Central Vancouver Island where I discovered that the Quinsum Mine is in the planned reopening stage and that other older mines in the area may again be reactivated.  

Revealing my ignorance:  There already was an operating (or recently closed) coal mine on the island!  Did not know that.  Then it's not like these people were having screaming fits about something that was an unknown.  The more I learn about this whole issue, the stranger it seems.

Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20th, 2017, 6:31pm »

on Apr 20th, 2017, 1:15pm, George_Harris wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Revealing my ignorance:  There already was an operating (or recently closed) coal mine on the island!  Did not know that.  Then it's not like these people were having screaming fits about something that was an unknown.  The more I learn about this whole issue, the stranger it seems.
George, Just think environmentalists silliness and you'll have it covered. Big article in today's papers about the upcoming earth day where Suzuki, Nell and Gore all want us to turn off our lights for a period to help save the world. maybe the three of them should just close down all but one of their multiple dwellings which would conserve the same electricity as a small town going brownout for a week. They never seem to amaze me but more and more we know less and less.  

The Island was opened to lumber cutting and coal mining since the git-go and still we have people making noises about how explosive and dangerous the stuff is. For giggles please read this tidbit of history of coal on Vancouver island.  
http://www.empr.gov.bc.ca/Mining/Geoscience/PublicationsCatalogue/OpenFiles/1999/Documents/OF1999-08_report.pdf

Nothing portrays ignorance of facts like environmentalism.

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2017, 6:32pm by Dennis Dalla-Vicenza » Logged

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Apr 20th, 2017, 7:21pm »

on Apr 20th, 2017, 6:31pm, Dennis Dalla-Vicenza wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Big article in today's papers about the upcoming earth day where Suzuki, Nell and Gore all want us to turn off our lights for a period to help save the world.  

Wonder if any of these idiots ever thought about what large sudden changes in demand do to a generating plant?  I don't know either, but nothing good.  I am at least sure of that much.

I am a strong believer in true environmentalism.  That happens to be part of the reason I have spent most of my working life on rail transport, mostly urban transit, but also passenger high speed rail and some on freight.  These so called "environmentalists" would not recognize true environmentalism if it fell on them.

Have heard is said that Ducks Unlimited, which is primarily an organization of hunters, has done more for the preservation of forests and wetlands in the US than all the government funded environmental acts.

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2017, 7:26pm by George_Harris » Logged
Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23rd, 2017, 11:19pm »

on Apr 20th, 2017, 7:21pm, George_Harris wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Have heard is said that Ducks Unlimited, which is primarily an organization of hunters, has done more for the preservation of forests and wetlands in the US than all the government funded environmental acts.
Our local Liberal candidate in the upcoming election is being raked over the coals by Chrisales and his ilk. The closest he ever got to hunting is an old Atari game. Too many fools are screwing up our country.

A couple of years ago I tried to explain to him coal pricing and end uses but he told me I had no idea of what I was talking about so today I fooled with some search engines and found this out of Australia, https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-metallurgical-coal-2340012 but that being said you cannot believe the bull presented as fact from our left leaning media. I read article after article where the media got all its "facts" rom environmental groups who haven't a clue in hell of which they speak.  

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2017, 11:20pm by Dennis Dalla-Vicenza » Logged

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Apr 24th, 2017, 1:24pm »

on Apr 23rd, 2017, 11:19pm, Dennis Dalla-Vicenza wrote:       (Click here for original message)
A couple of years ago I tried to explain to him coal pricing and end uses but he told me I had no idea of what I was talking about so today I fooled with some search engines and found this out of Australia, https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-metallurgical-coal-2340012 but that being said you cannot believe the bull presented as fact from our left leaning media. I read article after article where the media got all its "facts" from environmental groups who haven't a clue in hell of which they speak.

Dennis, this is the normal for these people.  When presented with any real questions or any factual information from real informed sources, if it disagrees with the "science" flavor of the month, their response is to call you ignorant among other disparaging names.  To try to reason with these people is an exercise in futility.

Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Apr 24th, 2017, 9:26pm »

on Apr 24th, 2017, 1:24pm, George_Harris wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Dennis, this is the normal for these people.  When presented with any real questions or any factual information from real informed sources, if it disagrees with the "science" flavor of the month, their response is to call you ignorant among other disparaging names.  To try to reason with these people is an exercise in futility.

Yeah, what do I know about coal. 35 years in the steel-making business means nothing to these glorified paper pusher types; especially those that work at universities.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »