Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 1:27pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

E&N/SVI photos and video
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   E&N/SVI photos and video
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71  ...  97 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: E&N/SVI photos and video  (Read 13356 times)
SRY 110
Historian
View Profile  

Re: E&N/SVI photos and video

« Reply #1260 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 11:15pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Any know where I could down load a sound clip for my cell phone, is clip from a CP Rail Detector>>>wouldnt that be sweet< I know unrelated to SRY, but just thought i would ask>>>Hope everyone is enjoying the heat!

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2009, 11:34pm by SRY 110 » Logged

More focus on the positive...less on the negative..
Sidewinder
Historian
  Wellcox-5.jpg - 44253 Bytes
« Reply #1261 on: Aug 15th, 2009, 2:24am »

Came across a short video sequence of Wellcox during the CP Rail days.  While staring into the screen reminiscing, thought perhaps the group would like to have a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKVlsb2u7pY

It is not action packed, but does show what Wellcox should look like.  It is always a shock to see the yards in their present condition.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Wellcox-5.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #1262 on: Aug 18th, 2009, 3:12am »

An interesting video of the Dayliner I just found on Youtube. Check out the unique camera angle from the 26 second mark!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u85kq-cS1i0

Speeder
Historian
  DSC00331.jpg - 61014 Bytes
« Reply #1263 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 9:49pm »

The back of 6135 (with 6148 leading) heading towards the Lampson St crossing shortly before 6pm this evening.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/DSC00331.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2009, 10:12pm by Speeder » Logged
Speeder
Historian
  DSC00328.jpg - 29155 Bytes
« Reply #1264 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 10:06pm »

A sequence of three pictures, taken a few seconds apart, at the new Saghalie Rd. crossing between the new Tyee Rd and Catherine St. crossings (at around 8:20 pm last Sunday). Both RDCs are heading back from the station at the end of their work day, empty... bound for their stall at the roundhouse a short distance away.

1) Flashing lights activated:

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/DSC00328.jpg
Click Image to Resize

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #1265 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 10:07pm »

on Aug 25th, 2009, 9:49pm, Speeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The back of 6133 (with 6148 leading) heading towards the Lampson St crossing shortly before 6pm this evening.

Looks like the 6135

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Speeder
Historian
  DSC00329.jpg - 38013 Bytes
« Reply #1266 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 10:08pm »

2) Barriers descending:

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/DSC00329.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Speeder
Historian
  DSC00330.jpg - 37430 Bytes
« Reply #1267 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 10:09pm »

3) 6135 (and 6148 at rear) crossing Saghalie Rd.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/DSC00330.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2009, 10:13pm by Speeder » Logged
Speeder
Historian

« Reply #1268 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 10:11pm »

on Aug 25th, 2009, 10:07pm, bcr4604 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Looks like the 6135

Whoops! I stand corrected. I'm meant 6133. I'll correct the number in my other posts.

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2009, 10:14pm by Speeder » Logged
joncalon
Historian

« Reply #1269 on: Aug 25th, 2009, 11:18pm »

on Aug 25th, 2009, 10:06pm, Speeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
A sequence of three pictures, taken a few seconds apart, at the new Saghalie Rd. crossing

New grade crossing...Hmm.  They don't even get the Railway Crossing sign correct.  The red outline is supposed to go around the entire X, not just the long edges of the individual bits...

Jon

cobblehillian
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #1270 on: Aug 27th, 2009, 1:23am »

Joncalon:

I think you are right.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:CanadianRailwayCrossing.jpg

CPRail4744
Historian
  May_7_2009_024.jpg - 58072 Bytes
« Reply #1271 on: Aug 28th, 2009, 1:07am »

I wonder if the cross pieces are cut from bulk aluminum material that already has the red strips prepainted the whole length.

Picture below is crossbucks we're used to...CN Singh Street crossing in Kamloops.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/May_7_2009_024.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
cobblehillian
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #1272 on: Aug 28th, 2009, 9:47pm »

Whether or not the cross bucks have stripes across the ends must be dependent on the supplier and/or manufacturer.

I crossed the E&N north of Cobble Hill station at Thain Road and found there were no end stripes on the cross bucks there.  The E&N must buy the or make them without the end stripes.

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #1273 on: Aug 28th, 2009, 11:32pm »

... or maybe the crossbars were bolted together backwards. In other words, perhaps the rear bar is intended to be in front (one bar being made with the full outline and the other with the breaks).

cycledude
Railfan

« Reply #1274 on: Aug 29th, 2009, 12:06pm »

on Aug 18th, 2009, 3:12am, Speeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
An interesting video of the Dayliner I just found on Youtube. Check out the unique camera angle from the 26 second mark!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u85kq-cS1i0

Roger that . . . very coool . . .

joncalon
Historian

« Reply #1275 on: Aug 29th, 2009, 6:39pm »

on Aug 28th, 2009, 9:47pm, cobblehillian wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Whether or not the cross bucks have stripes across the ends must be dependent on the supplier and/or manufacturer.

Realistically, that's irrelevant.  Every road sign needs to conform to the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD).  Signage is supposed to be the same so that it conveys the same message regardless of where the driver comes from.  A stop sign is that shape and colour across the country for a reason.  Same goes for all the other signs and that includes the railway crossing sign.

Jon

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #1276 on: Aug 29th, 2009, 6:51pm »

on Aug 29th, 2009, 6:39pm, joncalon wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Realistically, that's irrelevant.  Every road sign needs to conform to the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD).  Signage is supposed to be the same so that it conveys the same message regardless of where the driver comes from.  A stop sign is that shape and colour across the country for a reason.  Same goes for all the other signs and that includes the railway crossing sign.

Jon

True. That's why I suspect (as I mentioned earlier) that both pieces of the sign were made correctly. It just that the wrong pieces were assembled, or the pieces are assembled backwards.

I'll have a close look at the offending crossbucks when I down there next time to see if it is really just back-to-front.  

joncalon
Historian

« Reply #1277 on: Aug 30th, 2009, 1:12am »

on Aug 29th, 2009, 6:51pm, Speeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

True. That's why I suspect (as I mentioned earlier) that both pieces of the sign were made correctly. It just that the wrong pieces were assembled, or the pieces are assembled backwards.

I'll have a close look at the offending crossbucks when I down there next time to see if it is really just back-to-front.

I doubt that would help.  Remember there's no red on the ends of any of the boards, which would still be incorrect.

Jon

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #1278 on: Aug 30th, 2009, 8:59am »

on Aug 29th, 2009, 6:39pm, joncalon wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Jon

As a person who drives all over western North America; I can tell you that every province & state's road signs differ from the next province/state; with one exception: RR crossing crossbucks. That being said, Canadian wordless red crossbucks are universal in every province; and the USA's "Railroad Crossing" are universal in every state.

This is the first time I have seen the "redless" ends anywhere.

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2009, 9:00am by Pyronova » Logged

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #1279 on: Aug 30th, 2009, 1:29pm »

on Aug 30th, 2009, 8:59am, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

As a person who drives all over western North America; I can tell you that every province & state's road signs differ from the next province/state; with one exception: RR crossing crossbucks. That being said, Canadian wordless red crossbucks are universal in every province; and the USA's "Railroad Crossing" are universal in every state.

This is the first time I have seen the "redless" ends anywhere.

I believe that is because the rr xing signs are the only ones that the feds have any say on both here and down south.

Anyway it is a minor glitch that really won't matter until some clueless idiot gets darwined there, then some liar (oops i mean lawyer) might just pick up on it.  So maybe we don't want to be increasing the likelihood that this discussion will get picked up in a Google search

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71  ...  97 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »