Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 20th, 2017, 4:20pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Erie's Newark Branch
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Erie Lackawanna
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, Matthew_L, paultup)
   Erie's Newark Branch
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Erie's Newark Branch  (Read 5788 times)
NJ Railfan
Historian
Re: Erie's Newark Branch

« Reply #80 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 11:01am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

very nice pictures.  

I also have a few from the Newark Branch, located here...

http://high-iron-photograph.rrpicturearchives.net/archivethumbs.aspx?id=10430

Check out My Railroad Photos!

http://www.railroad-photography.com/

*All photos posted on this site and my website are copyright protected, please do not use without my permission. Thanks.*
njvike
Historian

« Reply #81 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 12:48pm »

Hey. I know that area  

Thanks for sharing.

JohnFPorcaro
TRAINing

« Reply #82 on: Dec 17th, 2006, 4:07pm »

on Apr 6th, 2006, 12:56pm, njvike wrote:       (Click here for original message)
An even more dangerous area was the next stop on the branch which was named Ricerside. It is located on Chester Avenue. The site is under part of what is McCarter Highway or Route 21.

At first I thought I had found a station but after further review  

Ken,
was this building an old railroad station?

njvike
Historian

« Reply #83 on: Dec 17th, 2006, 5:37pm »

on Dec 17th, 2006, 4:07pm, JohnFPorcaro wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Ken,
was this building an old railroad station?

John. after looking at the book "The Next Station Will Be" I can say no. I don't know when the station was removed.

Erie13
TRAINing

« Reply #84 on: Dec 26th, 2006, 6:15pm »

Can u tell me how much of the branch gets used by NS and where it starts and and ends Ken? I'm new here and liked the pics. How often does the line get used if at al? Josh

JohnFPorcaro
TRAINing

« Reply #85 on: Jan 2nd, 2007, 6:57pm »

on Dec 26th, 2006, 6:15pm, Erie13 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Can u tell me how much of the branch gets used by NS and where it starts and and ends Ken? I'm new here and liked the pics. How often does the line get used if at al? Josh

So far since I have been tracking this, W.A.S. at Newark has had 3 cars delivered since August.

njvike
Historian

« Reply #86 on: Jan 3rd, 2007, 1:00pm »

on Dec 26th, 2006, 6:15pm, Erie13 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Josh,

Sorry for the late reply.

John provided the answer about NS activity so I'll reply about the beginning and end terminus.  

From the book I recommend this book. Nice color photos and plenty of them:

The Newark Branch diverted from the Greenwood Lake/Boonton Line shortly west of the Hackensack river swingbridge. The Branch extended southwest to Kearney-Harrison border and offered shelters on both communities. It then crossed the NX bascule bridge over the Passaic River north to reach the ancient Fourth Avenue station on Newark's North Ward. It then followed the Passaic River northward through Belleville, Nutley, Clifton and Paterson where trains either terminated at the lower level of the city's passenger station or switched to the upper level, continuing along the main line another 7.4 miles to Waldwick. Some runs required passengers to change to or from the main line trains.

There's even a timetable that shows the Newark Branch originating in Hoboken to Paterson Junction.

krapug1
TRAINing

« Reply #87 on: Jan 10th, 2007, 2:09pm »

Great pictures of this almost forgotten branch.

Just to answer a few questions.

Kearny Station, you were in the right spot, in fact there still are some of the stairs visible.  Facing Harrison/East Newark, stand on the west side of the  
bridge over the tracks and on the Kearny side and you will see the stairs that took you down to the station, some of the platform is still visible.

Commuter service ended with the E-L's Commuter Service "rationilzation" program in October of '66. Passenger service at this point was 3 peak hour trains in each direction, Nutley, Bellville, Kearny, and Harrison did protest, and a plan was made to still run a single commter round trip, but.......
The E-L claimed that the Newark Branch would be used as a "freight thruway", and thus "improve" service on the surviving commuter lines.

The last freight customer on the East Side of the branch ended in the fall of 2001, when NJT ended passenger service on the lower Boonton Line, and took the DB bridge OOS, thus leaving this branch fragment severed.

The east side of this branch is also severed where the Bergen Avenue extension crosses it in Kearny.

NX draw last hosted a freight train during the winter of '77-'78.
I lived in Kearny, and used to take the then Route 41 Bus to school, and unkown to me that winter morning watching a short freight cross NX,  
it was one (if not the one) of the last trains to use the bridge.  
As the winter of '78 turned to spring, NX draw became a popular hangout, and most of the mechanical equipment was destroyed. The movie Annie used NX draw for a scene, and the bridge remained in the open position during this.  With NX going on 30 years of being OOS could the counter weights fail and it slam shut?

Ken    

njvike
Historian

« Reply #88 on: Jan 10th, 2007, 3:03pm »

krapug1,

Thanks for the info. I missed it. I guess I was on the wrong side of the bridge. I will have to back to that spot again sometime soon. How can you get to the bottom to get to where the station once was?

krapug1
TRAINing

« Reply #89 on: Jan 11th, 2007, 11:54am »

In one of your photos you actually see part of the old platform.

Going west from Kearny Avenue, the next street to cross the ROW crosses at grade, you can easily walk the ROW to the Kearny Station site.

As you noted, there is nothing left at the site of the Davis Avenue Station
in Harrison.  

The stairs climb almost to the top, in the early 70's the bridge the carries Kearny Avenue over the ROW was rebuilt, and the very top of the stairs was removed.  

A memory I have from the time passenger service ended (I was a VERY young railfan then), was about a month after the last commuter train I was waiting with my Father to pick up our order of Fish n Chips from Thompsons (Kearny was famous for it's "chippers" as they were called), and owner
was complaining that since the commuter trains stopped running his business was off since many people coming off the trains would stop in and place orders.  So even back then people were getting take out.    

Ken

......and for the record, at least 2 of Kearny's "chippers" are still around,
Argyle, and Thistle's

njvike
Historian

« Reply #90 on: Jan 11th, 2007, 4:34pm »

on Jan 11th, 2007, 11:54am, krapug1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

In one of your photos you actually see part of the old platform.

Going west from Kearny Avenue, the next street to cross the ROW crosses at grade, you can easily walk the ROW to the Kearny Station site.

As you noted, there is nothing left at the site of the Davis Avenue Station
in Harrison.  

The stairs climb almost to the top, in the early 70's the bridge the carries Kearny Avenue over the ROW was rebuilt, and the very top of the stairs was removed.  

A memory I have from the time passenger service ended (I was a VERY young railfan then), was about a month after the last commuter train I was waiting with my Father to pick up our order of Fish n Chips from Thompsons (Kearny was famous for it's "chippers" as they were called), and owner
was complaining that since the commuter trains stopped running his business was off since many people coming off the trains would stop in and place orders.  So even back then people were getting take out.    

Ken

......and for the record, at least 2 of Kearny's "chippers" are still around,
Argyle, and Thistle's

Again - Thanks for the info. We Spring arrives, I will be heading out there to go back there and try some of those chippers too.

I heard there was still a soda fountain store in Harrison. Is it still there? I forget the name but it's one of those old places where "soda jerk" worked out of.

Thanks

krapug1
TRAINing

« Reply #91 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 2:43pm »

Try this link from a Kearny HS Alumni site

It shows some pics of the Newark branch including a rare shot of NX draw in the closed position, and a timetable from 1965.

http://kearnyalumni.com/nwkbranch.html

Ken

njvike
Historian

« Reply #92 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 3:04pm »

on Jan 15th, 2007, 2:43pm, krapug1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Try this link from a Kearny HS Alumni site

It shows some pics of the Newark branch including a rare shot of NX draw in the closed position, and a timetable from 1965.

http://kearnyalumni.com/nwkbranch.html

Ken

Great link. Thanks for sharing.

Mel_Sylvester
TRAINing

« Reply #93 on: Jan 17th, 2007, 4:13pm »

The track that cut off the main line paralleled the river. The first company serviced was Harris Steel. The building is still there. The track continued along to Congolium Nairn. On the Newark side of the river there was a freight house to the south.  The passanger station was right after the curve to the north. My dad was a perishable inspector at that location when refer cars were unloaded. I'm more familiar with the Kearny portion of the branch.

njvike
Historian

« Reply #94 on: Jan 17th, 2007, 5:30pm »

on Jan 17th, 2007, 4:13pm, Mel_Sylvester wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The track that cut off the main line paralleled the river. The first company serviced was Harris Steel. The building is still there. The track continued along to Congolium Nairn. On the Newark side of the river there was a freight house to the south.  The passanger station was right after the curve to the north. My dad was a perishable inspector at that location when refer cars were unloaded. I'm more familiar with the Kearny portion of the branch.

Thanks for the update. I can still see some of the buildings near where the 4th avenue station was. Some of the pictures I have from the book "The Next Station Will Be" are from 1910.

I must admit that I don't know the companies that were near or serviced by the EL but at least was able to follow it which is more than I can say about other lines

bukie2k
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #95 on: Jan 22nd, 2007, 7:02pm »

on Apr 6th, 2006, 3:44pm, njvike wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There was a station in Kearny and the book mentions somewhere between Passaic and Kearny Avenues which is where I was. I want to say there were stairs to this station but am I in the right place?

The station was located just west of Kearny Avenue. I recall there being stairs there when my dad would take me there on Saturday mornings when I was a kid to watch the trains go by. Sometimes we did our watching by the rails next to West Hudson Park. Those mornings were more than 30 years ago and they seem like yesterday.  

njvike
Historian

« Reply #96 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 8:00am »

on Jan 22nd, 2007, 7:02pm, bukie2k wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The station was located just west of Kearny Avenue. I recall there being stairs there when my dad would take me there on Saturday mornings when I was a kid to watch the trains go by. Sometimes we did our watching by the rails next to West Hudson Park. Those mornings were more than 30 years ago and they seem like yesterday.  

Thanks for the info. I never did get to see any trains in that area of the Newark Branch. All the trains I saw were either in Belleville or Nutley. And yes, time does go by quickly

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #97 on: Apr 9th, 2007, 12:00pm »

Holy cow Ken!    
    Another nice pictorial.  For some strange reason, I think I remember NX bridge in the lowered position as a child.
    Who officially ownes NX ? Nolfolk Southern?  NJ DOT?  
    At least you got to see one train!  

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
njvike
Historian

« Reply #98 on: Apr 9th, 2007, 7:27pm »

on Apr 9th, 2007, 12:00pm, Eddie M. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
   Holy cow Ken!    
    Another nice pictorial.  For some strange reason, I think I remember NX bridge in the lowered position as a child.
    Who officially ownes NX ? Nolfolk Southern?  NJ DOT?  
    At least you got to see one train!  

Eddie,

I never saw the bridge in the down position either. I believe NS still owns it but I'm not positive. I did see the NS signs following the line through Kearny.

LVRR2095
Railfan
View Profile  

Whitford_Ave.jpg - 21758 Bytes
« Reply #99 on: Jun 7th, 2011, 7:13pm »

on Apr 6th, 2006, 10:23am, njvike wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Looking towards Walnut Street and at the location of where the station would have been.

The location where this picture was taken is at the junction of Whitford Ave. and Highfield lane and the station name was Nutley bearing in mind the original name of the town was Franklin, and this was in the Nutley Park section of Franklin. The station was never knownas Central Station that I know of, its other name was Stitts, for the Stitt's Mill located nearby. I've attached a picture of the depot building that was located here.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/EL/Whitford_Ave.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »